• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

It doesn't annoy you when the voice doesn't match the mouth?

With these films I'm not sure. I havent seen films like those since I was a little kid and then I certainly had no issue with bad dubs. Even as a child I think bad dubs was part of the fun.

Meanwhile I'm a sub only anime guy, and as an adult prefer subbed versions of films generally. So it will be interesting to see these old films subbed for the first time.

jambo

This dude look familiar?
7JYvjiG.jpg

I remember going nuts taping a shitload of Jackie Chan movies onto tape during a particular marathon. The signal was shithouse so it didn't really look that good, but I still had one or two movies to every video (because it was pre-SBS ads).

Memories <3

Des!!!

Used to watch them with my father, loved SBS movie nights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw0ce4XzosM

There's actually an SBS movie night film I've been trying to track down for ages now.

Pretty sure it was French, involved a guy going out to the shops in the evening and then a series of crazier and crazier things happen, involving criminals and police and all sorts of shit.

This dude look familiar?
7JYvjiG.jpg

I remember going nuts taping a shitload of Jackie Chan movies onto tape during a particular marathon. The signal was shithouse so it didn't really look that good, but I still had one or two movies to every video (because it was pre-SBS ads).

Memories <3

Good times.

I have no idea about mobile products. Help me choose wisely.

I have the choice between 2 32GB mSD cards.
$16 for 20MB/s read and 15MB/s write
$18 for 44MB/s read and 19MB/s write

How important is the extra speed? 15MB/s already sounds pretty quick, what issues would I run into with this mSD card in a tablet/phone?

I plan on grabbing two or three so the savings would add up pretty quick.

Card Boy

Banned
I have no idea about mobile products. Help me choose wisely.

I have the choice between 2 32GB mSD cards.
$16 for 20MB/s read and 15MB/s write
$18 for 44MB/s read and 19MB/s write

How important is the extra speed? 15MB/s already sounds pretty quick, what issues would I run into with this mSD card in a tablet/phone?

I plan on grabbing two or three so the savings would add up pretty quick.

Trust me you want the extra speed. It's the read speed you should be looking at.

Danoss

Yeah. So many of them. I did find this survey recently that seems useful.

http://torrentfreak.com/anonymous-vpn-service-provider-review-2015-150228/

I came across the 2014 version of that article, which was released in December so it's not really old.

I ended up throwing some cash at Private Internet Access and it's been doing well. Speed and performance is excellent, though my ADSL2+ connection at 3.5kms from the exchange isn't likely to put much stress on their network, general usage doesn't appear any different. No idea what latency is like, but gaming would probably be best done without the VPN.

The way my router handles IPSec doesn't play nice with it, as it's mostly intended for site-to-site security. I'm using the OpenVPN software on my PC, phone and tablet and I don't have any complaints. They provide some software with extra benefits like suspending internet activity if the VPN drops out, but I'm just using the vanilla one.

Watching the official NRL Livestream of Parramatta vs Manly now and it's great not needing to stuff about with Hola.

one was for something i now forget

I remember it. Poking fun at the yanks. Aluminum and the like.

This dude look familiar?
7JYvjiG.jpg

Yes! It's likely I wouldn't have acquired the same interest in foreign films and anime (less so the latter these days) if it weren't for him.

Trust me you want the extra speed. It's the read speed you should be looking at.

Read speed is the one advertised as it is always the highest number across the board. Write speed is the ambiguous one and if you get a good write speed, you're sure to get a solid read speed too. The class system is in MB/s, so a Class 10 card is guaranteed not to drop lower than 10 MB/s. The only way to be sure is to check the cards that have been benchmarked. There isn't enough of this info available, unfortunately.

This is probably overkill analysis for casual use in a mobile phone or similar. I'm speaking from my experiences using both SD and CF cards in capable cameras, where shortcomings become apparent very quickly. Cards classed as UHS-I/U3 will generally provide excellent performance for the price, only to be outperformed by the newer UHS-II which isn't yet widely supported.

The Samsung would likely be the better bet as I do believe it is the faster card. Also the Kingston is SDXC and I'm not sure what the state of compatibility is, but SDXC doesn't seem to matter much below 64GB unless you're trying to futureproof your purchase.

The Samsung would likely be the better bet as I do believe it is the faster card. Also the Kingston is SDXC and I'm not sure what the state of compatibility is, but SDXC doesn't seem to matter much below 64GB unless you're trying to futureproof your purchase.

Thanks guys, I'll shell out for the fancy one!

always loved des' smile.

there was this anime-type cartoon thing on liquid tv back in the day with this girl who finds a robot (maybe) in a junkyard and theres lots of blood and guts. loved it when i was 11 and i wonder if any of you guys know it?

Bernbaum

Des Mangan gave the world 'Hercules Returns'.

It's probably aged poorly, but goddamn if we didn't piss ourselves laughing watching it as kids.

Aeon Flux? I loved the Cult Movie Show and Liquid Television, Des helped shape my view of what movies and TV could be.

One particular movie stood out but I never had the details of it. All I could remember for the longest time was that it was completely insane, a western of some sort, set in the desert, and had a dude in white with weird sticks of some sort. I spent hours trying to figure out the movie. A couple of years back I finally figured out it was El Topo by Jodorowsky, and it's as insane as I remember. Incredible film.

Actually, there was another now I think about it. A samurai had a skill where he could kill just by drawing his sword, one move and his opponents were dead. Haven't been able to track down that one.

Aeon Flux? I loved the Cult Movie Show and Liquid Television, Des helped shape my view of what movies and TV could be.

One particular movie stood out but I never had the details of it. All I could remember for the longest time was that it was completely insane, a western of some sort, set in the desert, and had a dude in white with weird sticks of some sort. I spent hours trying to figure out the movie. A couple of years back I finally figured out it was El Topo by Jodorowsky, and it's as insane as I remember. Incredible film.

Actually, there was another now I think about it. A samurai had a skill where he could kill just by drawing his sword, one move and his opponents were dead. Haven't been able to track down that one.

Shit, how old were you when you saw El Topo lol

Bernbaum

My new hobby: finding tables on Pinball FX2 that Gazunta has top score on and then WRECKING HIS SHIT.

Were you on acid when you posted that 27million score on Star Wars Starfighter Assault? I can't touch that

markot

Banned
How much could I get for a surface pro with a keyboard kachiggament?

Im kind of sick of mine, its not a good laptop or a good tablet >.< (Thats what they call the big sell)

How much could I get for a surface pro with a keyboard kachiggament?

Im kind of sick of mine, its not a good laptop or a good tablet >.< (Thats what they call the big sell)

what condition is it in

How much do you want for it

There's an e-bay listing for a used one with minor cosmetic damage, 3 days to go, 255 dollars.

I don't think it would go higher than 400-500.

Shaneus

That guy. Yes! Great memories.

I remember watching this one on SBS. Des Mangan intro to Twin Dragon
Holy shit, I remember that one! Pretty sure I still have it on VHS somewhere. Maybe.

Quick Des Mangan fact: He also works as a bank teller at the commonwealth bank in Wollongong. Haven't seen him the last few times i went in there. Maybe because of this https://twitter.com/tkdetective
Another fun fact: He also did these movie nights in Sydney where he and friends did live voiceovers for classic movies. This is how he came to both write and "star" in Hercules Returns. Yup, I found out only a few months back that he did the voices for it.

Good.

I dont know >.<

I'm going to be selling my SP2 to an aunt later in the year at family+friends rates, I originally picked it up for 800ish dollars with the keyboard included when HN was having fire sales.

Edit:

Gumtree listings have 400 dollars as the standard price for 128gb second hand SP's with keyboard. I'll give you 380 for it shipped if you want to avoid listing it or fucking with Ebay. I am a scumbag.

markot

Banned
I'm going to be selling my SP2 to an aunt later in the year at family+friends rates, I originally picked it up for 800ish dollars with the keyboard included when HN was having fire sales.

Edit:

Gumtree listings have 400 dollars as the standard price for 128gb second hand SP's with keyboard. I'll give you 380 for it shipped if you want to avoid listing it or fucking with Ebay. I am a scumbag.

Whyyyyyyyyy are you selling a sp2 and do you want an sp1?

Holy shit, I remember that one! Pretty sure I still have it on VHS somewhere. Maybe.

Another fun fact: He also did these movie nights in Sydney where he and friends did live voiceovers for classic movies. This is how he came to both write and "star" in Hercules Returns. Yup, I found out only a few months back that he did the voices for it.

Brilliant. I used to love the the SBS movie nights. They have brought them back but they aren't quite the same. The 80s marathon they had recently was fun.

Whyyyyyyyyy are you selling a sp2 and do you want an sp1?

Oh

I want a small laptop to give to my mum.

Sp1 or Sp2 would be fine. Since I promised to sell the SP2 already, a cheap sp1 would be a perfectly adequate solution.

But you'll get better money other places, and honestly I'm not urgently looking it was just an idle thought I had.

markot

Banned
I dont know...... Its like Apple is the only decent company that makes laptops anymore, even with the premium price, you get more then anything else anyone else offers..... (Srsly, why is 768 resolution still a thing! Its been that way for like 10 years!)

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, I hate Apple...

So I dunnnnoooooo....

I hate deciding things.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'd recommend ASUS as my Sandybridge laptop from them is pretty much perfect. That and OSX is fucking terrible.

markot

Banned
I'd recommend ASUS as my Sandybridge laptop from them is pretty much perfect. That and OSX is fucking terrible.

I dont really like osx.

But windows isnt exactly blowing me away. And battery life wise, Apple gets like 9 hours out of their laptops, and their build quality... etc...

Windows laptops seem to barely reach 6.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Battery life will only get better. Simply because Intel are making their chips smaller and smaller. That and I've never had the instance where I've needed to rely on my laptop's battery. I consider it a small PC rather than a portable one.

Just keep in mind that the most important thing you can do with a Windows-based laptop is to reinstall Windows as soon as you get it. I ain't got time for that vendor-specific shitware, and neither does the battery.

The one thing that Macbooks do have going for them is resale value though.

I dont really like osx.

But windows isnt exactly blowing me away. And battery life wise, Apple gets like 9 hours out of their laptops, and their build quality... etc...

Windows laptops seem to barely reach 6.
Could you try linux if you haven't (or haven't in ages), if windows and os x aren't satisfactory?

markot

Banned
In my experience, linux is just too much work, and on laptops, tends to have worse battery life then windowses, not to mention sometimes things just dont work.
(Ive tried linux numerous times on my pc, its always just annoying and I end up going back to windows. I dont know if its the amd drivers on linux or just me)

I think im just getting sick of things not working how they should. Apple tends to have that covered. They have bonjour for printers... etc... and they work, its easier to share things, stream things... etc...

But on the flip side, its also like wearing a straight jacket.

Lazaro

Battery life will only get better. Simply because Intel are making their chips smaller and smaller. That and I've never had the instance where I've needed to rely on my laptop's battery. I consider it a small PC rather than a portable one.

Just keep in mind that the most important thing you can do with a Windows-based laptop is to reinstall Windows as soon as you get it. I ain't got time for that vendor-specific shitware, and neither does the battery.

The one thing that Macbooks do have going for them is resale value though.

Apparently Windows 10 has a shipload of power saving optimizations built into its code compared to 8.1 from what the StarDock CEO said: &#8220;Windows 10 is much better at utilizing your CPU cores than previous versions of Windows&#8230;for a lot of users, Windows 10 will &#8220;magically&#8221; allow your devices to have much better battery life.&#8221;

Switching to OSX wouldn't be a bad choice. You can't watch Aussie TV without seeing some sort of Apple product placement ;)

So, my final word on The Order since I beat it last night.

it's easy just to write 'Meh' and move on.

It's polished as all fuck, keeps a perfect framerate and has a wonderful palette of deep browns and drab greys.

Shooting is ok, but it doesn't feel that responsive. There are few weapons that are particularly effective against the armies of bullet sponges that descend upon you. Some of the guns are a lot of fun
Thermite gun and the tesla gun
when you can get them. Level design is weird. Such beautifully rendered, bulletproof locations that do absolutely nothing, with a few random items to look at thrown in just to justify the existence of a dead end.

At first I was really down on the squandered setting and anachronistic tech but remembered I had no problem with Bioshock or Dishonored doing the same thing. The main difference is they did it way better than The Order. The characters in this still feel like they're folks from the present who have time-travelled back in time to cosplay in Victorian England. You move so slowly when you're not in combat. If I didn't know better I'd say the most powerful people at Ready at Dawn were the animators "gaze at my beautiful work, gameplay and pacing be damned." The insanely long and numerous cutscenes that occasionally have a QTE thrown in are rarely interesting. It's just not a world that sucks you in.

It it weren't for the insane amount of polish, you'd say it was half baked. But it is half-baked. There's just no technical jank whatsoever, just janky design, story and writing.

rating: Rent or PS+ it.

Quasar

I dont know...... Its like Apple is the only decent company that makes laptops anymore, even with the premium price, you get more then anything else anyone else offers.....

Well I don't think that's true.

But then I never saw the real attraction with Apple laptops, though I own one. And for the the only reason I got one was my interest in OSX at the time and a macbook was the lowest cost entry point.

Lazaro

Hey AusGAF not sure if whether I should create a thread but...

Applications for SONY X are now open. See Here: https://www.facebook.com/sonyxaustralia

Sony X is an "exclusive" loyalty program for Aussie Sony Fan-boys/Fan-girls. "Key Partners" like myself receive staff price discounts (sometimes bigger during promotional periods) on nearly all Sony Products. Your words and opinions reach Sony Australia directly and you are given VIP access to exclusive events and outings held by Sony Australia.

When the PS4 was released Sony X send out 100 Limited Editions Carry Cases and decals with engraved names of the members. I luckily managed to get one :D

It's a pretty cool program but getting in can be quite hard. I know AusGAF well NeoGAF in general has some devoted unique Sony fans. I wouldn't be bothered sharing this to any other online group :3

Hey AusGAF not sure if whether I should create a thread but...

Applications for SONY X are now open. See Here: https://www.facebook.com/sonyxaustralia

Sony X is an "exclusive" loyalty program for Aussie Sony Fan-boys/Fan-girls. "Key Partners" like myself receive staff price discounts (sometimes bigger during promotional periods) on nearly all Sony Products. Your words and opinions reach Sony Australia directly and you are given VIP access to exclusive events and outings held by Sony Australia.

When the PS4 was released Sony X send out 100 Limited Editions Carry Cases and decals with engraved names of the members. I luckily managed to get one :D

It's a pretty cool program but getting in can be quite hard. I know AusGAF well NeoGAF in general has some devoted unique Sony fans. I wouldn't be bothered sharing this to any other online group :3
Thanks for the heads up, I put in an application just in case.

After 70 days. Finally got to take both sons home from the hospital. Hard to describe feeling.

Woo! Awesome news!

r1chard

Woo Omi! Glad you've got everyone home now!

I've spent the day writing a Flappy Bird clone.

On the other hand, during a bit of a break I had a great idea for an actual original game. I just need a pixel artist...

That's great news, Omi. Congratulations for finally having your new family together. Must be a wonderful feeling.

(it won't last long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom