• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

So where is somewhere I can go to see animals and nature and stuff? Somewhere in Asia I am guessing.

Been stressful few weeks and need to book a holiday. Any suggestions? In an animal/retreat/safari mood. Need to get out of cities for a bit.

Come to sunny South Australia! Monarto has all your safari needs covered! Not really, but it is pretty cool if budgets are limited.

http://www.monartozoo.com.au/

22 is an air-conditioned room where half the people will find it too cold.
tumblr_lucn64sPv11qek00oo1_500.png

Stackboy

The new modest mouse album is pretty amazing. Everyone should check it out!

I thought it was ok. Neat that they are trying a few new things.

yeah, and Season Six of Community starts today. It's also on Stan tonight at 6 (AEDT)

Just came in here to post this.

https://twitter.com/stancomau/status/577641380186484736

Stan is really good about putting things out the same time they air in the US. New Better Call Saul tonight too.

Netflix AU launches in 7 days yeah?

MoonGred

After a week of prog that song Lampshades On Fire sounded so boring.

It's definitely not their best song, but after years of absence I was happy with anything

I really enjoy "the ground walks, with time in a box".
"Pistol" on the other hand I find horrendous.

Stan is really good about putting things out the same time they air in the US. New Better Call Saul tonight too.

Would you recommend stan in addition to us netflix or instead of?

Quasar

Well its hard to compare it to Aussie netflix as we don't know what the catalog is like. That said I find it complements US netflix enough for me. Gets me some Amazon shows for instance.

MoonGred

Well its hard to compare it to Aussie netflix as we don't know what the catalog is like. That said I find it complements US netflix enough for me. Gets me some Amazon shows for instance.

Might sign up for a free trial on the weekend. Just don't want to spend a fortune on tv to be honest

Stackboy

Am curious to see if I can just jump in with these episodes. I got bored and gave up on it midway through I think S2. But think I will try out these new episodes. Well one at least.

It sounds like it's kind of a reboot. They lost a few actors last season and have replaced them with 2 new characters that sound core to the show. Stan has all the seasons if you want to play catchup.

Considering the offering Stan already has, combined with the Netflix lineup, i'd say I will subscribe to both (and a VPN). Stan doesn't have enough to make it a sole source of tv and movies, but it will fill the gaps that Netflix still has.

I sound like a streaming service shill.

Darren870

Come to sunny South Australia! Monarto has all your safari needs covered! Not really, but it is pretty cool if budgets are limited.

http://www.monartozoo.com.au/

Haha, I was thinking more of the lines of the Yala National Park in Sri Lanka or something of that nature.

However, when I visit SA I will be sure to hit up the zoo. Its always one thing I love to do.

I booked a trip to Tas in August so that should be fun (and cold). Need to see more of Australia.

MoonGred

Considering the offering Stan already has, combined with the Netflix lineup, i'd say I will subscribe to both (and a VPN). Stan doesn't have enough to make it a sole source of tv and movies, but it will fill the gaps that Netflix still has.

I sound like a streaming service shill.

I'm surprised you haven't posted a referral link yet you shill!
I feel like I've seen every movie that interests me on netflix lately, stan could be a breath of fresh air that's for sure.

Quasar

You guys sure watch a lot of TV!!

I'm happy with just the free on-air stuff.

Aside from the ABC I'm not sure I've really watched FTA in a decade.

That said...its weird in that I pay for Netflix and now Stan and really if I admit it I don't use them a lot. I use crunchyroll more. I feel like I'm paying more for the theoretical 'if I want to watch x I can instantly' more than a service I use every day.

Which is a waste of money to some degree, and it reminds me of Steam where so many games seem to be bought when cheap with the theoretical idea of being able to play when I want, but so many games never get played. And these days I play games even less than I consume other media.

Very curious what season six community will be like. The Golden days of season one and two will never return but still worth checking out methinks.

Shaneus

Wish I could muster up enthusiasm for this but the trainwreck of a back half that season 5 had pretty much put a bullet in my interest in the show.
I don't think I made it past season 4? Pretty sure I only saw an episode or two of that season Harmon didn't do and dismissed the rest of the season completely. This new one will be interesting without Troy and Pearce, though.

markot

Banned
Your turdburgulars make me ill with turditus.

Im surprised you are even slightly interested in it, what with your favourite comedic actor in the history of man kind having been cast adrift. (Chevy Chase not Gambino or whatever his name was, that might be a rap name I don't know)

They already did a season without Pearce and Troy, season 5. It was great.

The freaking video board game episode was better then anything else ever. Freaking breaking bad creator guy was in it.

Darren870

Aside from the ABC I'm not sure I've really watched FTA in a decade.

That said...its weird in that I pay for Netflix and now Stan and really if I admit it I don't use them a lot. I use crunchyroll more. I feel like I'm paying more for the theoretical 'if I want to watch x I can instantly' more than a service I use every day.

Which is a waste of money to some degree, and it reminds me of Steam where so many games seem to be bought when cheap with the theoretical idea of being able to play when I want, but so many games never get played. And these days I play games even less than I consume other media.

Egh, FTA has everything I need. I rather not pay $20+ a month for services. I know I would do exactly what you say you are doing. Having it there for the convenience. The first month or two I'd get good use out of it, then it would sit there going unwatched/unused. Did the same with games, both physical and digital. I've gotten pretty strict with my spending habits as of late.

Its kinda like pokemon, You want all 15(1) of them, but in the end you have the same 6 in rotation. I think it was 6...can't remember.

Shaneus

Not me, though damn.

It’s a chocolate cake, filled with a cookies and cream white chocolate ganache

Oh

My

God

Ohohohoghhjhjuhfuhfgufgdghdyfdfghdfyghdfydyfgdfdrfdhkgflujhyuuyofyui *explodes*

Seriously food in Melbourne even the most basic stuff is like amazing.
Geelong. Not Melbourne. Calling Geelong a part of Melbourne is like calling New Zealand (or Tasmania) a part of Australia.

Quasar

Egh, FTA has everything I need. I rather not pay $20+ a month for services. I know I would do exactly what you say you are doing. Having it there for the convenience. The first month or two I'd get good use out of it, then it would sit there going unwatched/unused. Did the same with games, both physical and digital. I've gotten pretty strict with my spending habits as of late.

Well I do find no ads and my ability to chose when to watch worth it. Plus streaming quality seems better than broadcast and I'm not at the whims of programmers and ratings.

And I'd say I'm streaming 10-12 hours a week, though that does vary widely. And cost wise it evens itself out compared to the past of renting a couple of movies a week.

Darren870

Well I do find no ads and my ability to chose when to watch worth it. Plus streaming quality seems better than broadcast and I'm not at the whims of programmers and ratings.

And I'd say I'm streaming 10-12 hours a week, though that does vary widely. And cost wise it evens itself out compared to the past of renting a couple of movies a week.

Yea, guess I don't watch that much TV to make it even worth it. The only show I really watch is Walking Dead. Everything else has ended or I don't really care for. I used to have netflix years ago in the states, but that was before the streaming option so it was just getting a movie every few days.

To each their own!

Stackboy

First 2 episodes of S6 of Community were really good, has that usual Dan Harmon feel. The new characters they introduced won't replace Troy and Shirley but so far it has a good feel. Better Call Saul is really good too, my wife is addicted. But she won't touch Breaking Bad. Mostly because I said it can get depressing.

Shaneus

lols, the CEO of my company is on his way out
thank fuck
, thanks to this juicy little tidbit:
Orica chief executive Ian Smith is leaving the company after an explosive bullying incident in January involving a senior staff member proved the last straw for chairman Russell Caplan.

Don't let the door hit your fat arse on the way out.

Edit: Fuck Holy, that's shit news :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom