• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
jambo said:
Bit random, but does anyone know some good software for drawing and animation with a Bamboo Pen & Touch. Boss bought his daughter one and wants me to find software for it -_-
Should have gotten her a DSi and flipnote studio >.<

Dead Man

Looks like the Telstra breakup is proceeding apace:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/s...d-wholesale-arms/story-e6frfro0-1225961484332

THE Senate has passed legislation which separates Telstra's retail and wholesale arms and paves the way for the $36 billion national broadband network.

The Bill now returns to the lower house where it's expected to be passed, with the upper house's amendments, on Monday.

The Coalition made a number of last-ditch attempts at delaying a vote on the draft laws, but were ultimately unsuccessful.

Labor's legislation was passed with the support of all seven crossbench senators — five Australian Greens, Family First senator Steve Fielding and Independent senator Nick Xenophon.

The final vote was won with 30 in favour and 28 against.

Following the vote, Communications Minister Stephen Conroy said reform of the telecommunications sector was overdue.

"This legislation is the holy grail of micro-economic reform in this sector," he said.

"For Australian consumers, this reform has been a long time coming."

Senator Conroy said an immediate benefit of the passage of the legislation was likely to be a reduction in access disputes.

He said the NBN was rolling out 6000km of cable across regional Australia, opening access to 400,000 Australians and allowing real retail competition in more than 100 towns and cities.

"These new changes will absolutely end the gaming that has gone on — 152 access disputes in this sector alone," he said.

Senator Conroy said the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) could now act immediately to end rip-offs.

"You will see an almost immediate change in behaviour by companies as they realise they can't use the legal system, the competition system, to behave in the way we have seen in the past," he said.

Conroy may be a tool, but separating the wholesale and retail areas of Telstra will be a good thing.

Choc

Banned
yep sell your telstra shares now, they are fucked

NBN will destroy them

Telstra shares down 3c since announcement

better indicator is that 119 million shares have been traded in Telstra today

for comparison Rio had 4 million, BHP 21 million and Woolworths 3 million

so clearly, Telstra is hot property on the market at the moment

Kritz

Banned
Jambo, I use that and Adobe Flash for my absolutely shitty drawings. But it might be a bit on the expensive side. >_> and not really designed for drawing.

markot

Banned
Choc said:
yep sell your telstra shares now, they are fucked

NBN will destroy them

Telstra shares down 3c since announcement

better indicator is that 119 million shares have been traded in Telstra today

for comparison Rio had 4 million, BHP 21 million and Woolworths 3 million

so clearly, Telstra is hot property on the market at the moment
They are getting like 12 billion dollars from the government, their share price has gone up from what ive heard after the announcement.

Would have been better to split Telstra into 2 competing companies and removing the copper.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I wonder if the split will fix the complaints ISPs have had regarding port pricing. How retail was cheaper than wholesale, I think that was the complaint a while back right?

markot

Banned
evlcookie said:
I wonder if the split will fix the complaints ISPs have had regarding port pricing. How retail was cheaper than wholesale, I think that was the complaint a while back right?
yeah

markot

Banned
I mean like 2 competing retail companies, so instead of telstra/optus and Vodaphone, there would be one more big played in ze market

pilonv1

evlcookie said:

It's been a complaint all year. Internode only just released some better pricing for Telstra ports thanks to the ACCC

rass

Rez said:
I'm transferring to Monash next year for Info Tech (Majoring in Game Design)/Music (Classical Piano Performance/Composition) double degree (Clayton for Music, Caulfield for IT), so say hi, anyone starting there next year.

It's a shame Melb Uni doesn't do double degrees, it would have made my life a whole lot easier. Luckily my music credit this year is transferable.
I want RMIT to do double degrees as well, I might end up at Swinburne just because of it. Though part of me thinks taking a 'safe course'/desired course means I've already failed in my endeavors.

jambo said:
Bit random, but does anyone know some good software for drawing and animation with a Bamboo Pen & Touch. Boss bought his daughter one and wants me to find software for it -_-
I've been playing with this, no animation though. Bit of fun to piss around with for visualisation.
http://al.chemy.org/download/

For animation:
http://www.pencil-animation.org/

<3 open source

I'm pretty sure most of the Wacom range come with a watered down version of Autodesk Sketchbook anyway.

Ydahs

Oh boy. Choosing adverts for my website is not an easy job. Went with Google Adsense, but after reading a few horror stories (reaching minimum revenue and then suspending accounts), I'm starting to rethink my choice.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
pilonv1 said:
It's been a complaint all year. Internode only just released some better pricing for Telstra ports thanks to the ACCC

I applaud Internode for being very vocal about the issue. Hackett has the balls to speak up and fight it to the death.

Shaneus

jambo said:
We could get some yanks to gift it.

EDIT: Oh I already have it :3
Take you long? I've asked for it too... but in the STeam sale thread, not the gifting one.

And seriously, have they been looking at my wishlist? Both Blur and Chaos Rising were in my top 5 for the freebie deal :lol

trinest

evlcookie said:
I think i picked it up last sale, whenever that was. I still haven't really played it :lol
:lol

I picked up a bunch of other games too this sale- like the $5 story pack and some of the more cheaper games in the packs. Like 75c for some random game I'll never play? Count me in!

Clipper

If anybody is interested in other good sales, Telltale Games (makers of the new Sam and Max games and Puzzle Agent, and one of the best adventure game companies of all time) is doing a different sale each day until Christmas.

They've started it off big with 50% off everything in the store except Poker Night and the BttF pre-order (this sale will end very soon though). It includes all of their merchandise and as a bonus, there's even free international shipping included until Nov 29 (and free shipping for orders over $50 after that).

I own every game Telltale has ever sold, and love them all (except the first Texas Hold 'Em game, but that was free for me anyway). I can highly recommend checking them out if you have ever enjoyed an adventure game and haven't got around to checking out their stuff yet. This first day of the sale has been great for getting some of the merch that I've wanted to buy for quite a while, but didn't want to pay shipping for. There'll be free games on later days apparently, so keep checking them out.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I already own every Telltale game post Sam and Max S1, so yeah, great games.

Agyar

A few days late but I'm waiting for a bus and did a speed test with my iPhone 4 on Telstra. Eat your heart out, haters.

74570372.png

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sew said:
Woah, getting tempbanned clears out your subscribed threads list? Fuck. :(
It's more of an incentive to be nice than the actual time away.

Agyar said:
A few days late but I'm waiting for a bus and did a speed test with my iPhone 4 on Telstra. Eat your heart out, haters.

74570372.png

Dayuuum

I'll test my 3GS later which is on the Optus network (Virgin).
I have no doubt I'll get anywhere near that.

rass

AusPCgaf, a question.

I have been told that the dining room table is an inappropriate place for dual monitors and assorted PC input accessories so I need to move my desktop into the room where it ought to be. Only problem is that there's no phone socket there and as a result - no internet. What's the best
cheapest
way of getting it connected wirelessly? do I need a dongle kind of thing or is a... card that you install in the case... kind of thing better? Will probably adventure towards msy tomorrow to pick something up. I plan to have another socket installed but I am pretty broke at the moment so it has to wait.

Clipper

rass said:
AusPCgaf, a question.

I have been told that the dining room table is an inappropriate place for dual monitors and assorted PC input accessories so I need to move my desktop into the room where it ought to be. Only problem is that there's no phone socket there and as a result - no internet. What's the best
cheapest
way of getting it connected wirelessly? do I need a dongle kind of thing or is a... card that you install in the case... kind of thing better? Will probably adventure towards msy tomorrow to pick something up. I plan to have another socket installed but I am pretty broke at the moment so it has to wait.
Do you already have the wireless router? How far away from the dining room is the computer room and how many walls are in the way?

If you have the router, I'd say to just go get a cheap 802.11 card that supports the fastest speed of your router (speed is typically referenced by b/g/n suffixes to 802.11 with larger letters being faster) and you're set. Should cost about $15-$20. Cards are generally cheaper than the dongles and often have a better antenna to boot, but a dongle is fine too if they have a cheap one.

If you need to get a router, that will be a more difficult question to answer as, unlike the cards, the quality of the router can matter. In that case, what type of Internet do you have?

rass

Clipper said:
Do you already have the wireless router? How far away from the dining room is the computer room and how many walls are in the way?

If you have the router, I'd say to just go get a cheap 802.11 card that supports the fastest speed of your router (speed is typically referenced by b/g/n suffixes to 802.11 with larger letters being faster) and you're set. Should cost about $15-$20. Cards are generally cheaper than the dongles and often have a better antenna to boot, but a dongle is fine too if they have a cheap one.

If you need to get a router, that will be a more difficult question to answer as, unlike the cards, the quality of the router can matter. In that case, what type of Internet do you have?
cheers man, yeah, already have a router. Have a sweet N router at the parent's place but there are heaps of walls there so I brought the old one with me, it's a netcomm NB5Plus4W which is 'G' according to their website. Only 1, maybe 2 walls between - depends where I put the desk in the other room. I've never installed any hardware in a PC, we'll see how I go tomorrow haha.

Thanks for the tip.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Buy an ethernet cable and wire that shit. As if use wireless for your gaming on the PC. If she wants it moved she can live with a cable running through the house :D

Otherwise go with that rass said. Most cards will support any 802.11A/B/N/G these days, but just double check before buying of course.

rass

evlcookie said:
Buy an ethernet cable and wire that shit. As if use wireless for your gaming on the PC. If she wants it moved she can live with a cable running through the house :D

Otherwise go with that rass said. Most cards will support any 802.11A/B/N/G these days, but just double check before buying of course.
I'll go with what I said for sure :/
I have a 15m ethernet cable, but I don't want to trip and die haha. Plus I have it running along the wall for the 360 :)
My intention is to get a new phone socket put in, but I need to wait a month or so to be able to pay for that. I can live without PC games for another month

rass said:
I have a 15m ethernet cable, but I don't want to trip and die haha. Plus I have it running along the wall for the 360 :)
My intention is to get a new phone socket put in, but I need to wait a month or so to be able to pay for that. I can live without PC games for another month
Does not compute

Ydahs

rass said:
AusPCgaf, a question.

cheapest
I'm in the same position as you. My gaming PC is going to move, so a wired connection is unrealistic unless my family doesn't mind a 10m cable running through the house (they do) :(

I'll probably go with what's suggested to you and get a wireless card
or somehow manage to wire the ethernet cable through the roof along with my HDMI cable while the family's out...

Clipper

rass, I doubt you'll have trouble installing the card. Just open up the case before you go to buy the card to make sure you have a spare slot and check your Motherboard's manual to see what type of slots you have available. You wouldn't want to get a PCIe card without a spare PCIe slot and so on.

Rahk

rass said:
You can still play games with wireless. :lol

Salazar

Off to Tasmania for a holiday pretty soon. Ten days, driving all over the place.

Anybody got any recommendations - stuff to do, places to go ?

Dead Man

Salazar said:
Off to Tasmania for a holiday pretty soon. Ten days, driving all over the place.

Anybody got any recommendations - stuff to do, places to go ?
Nope, but very jealous. I have only been to Tas once when I was 4, but a driving holiday there is high on my list.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The only two Tasmanians that i know of in ausgaf are kritz and crumb.

10 days to drive around? Are you driving around 5 times or what? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom