• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salazar said:
Off to Tasmania for a holiday pretty soon. Ten days, driving all over the place.

Anybody got any recommendations - stuff to do, places to go ?
My Mum went on a Tasmanian holiday earlier this year. Her itinerary was pretty packed and about the same length. I might get a list off her and post it.

Remind me if I forget.

Darklord

Banned
SIGH. I applied for holiday leave about 6 weeks ago and found out tonight I'm rostered on to work during that time. How dumb are some people? I told the managers and filled out their stupid form and they still don't get it.

Aon

hamchan said:
Driving holidays with my family consisted of me sitting in the back seat playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

For me that was 2004, playing FFTA as we roadtripped across europe.

So damn cool. Then I bought copies of Fire Emblem and Advance Wars 2 over there. SRPG heaven.

Rezbit

Salazar said:
Off to Tasmania for a holiday pretty soon. Ten days, driving all over the place.

Anybody got any recommendations - stuff to do, places to go ?

Well I am another Tasmanian on NeoGAF, so I have some suggestions for you!

Of course it depends on where abouts you are spending most of your time, because believe it or not, 10 days is NOT enough to see most of Tassie!

However, I will assemble a list of great things that you can possibly do/see:

Freycinet/Wineglass Bay/Coles Bay/Bicheno
Bay of Fires
Cradle Mountain
Port Arthur (convicts/ghost stuff etc...just don't go expecting to hear about the massacre, it is not mentioned at all down there)
Tasman Peninsula
The town of Ross, which was the inspiration for the setting of the Studio Ghibli film Kiki's Delivery Service

Hopefully those help :)

Danoss

Rezbit said:
Port Arthur (convicts/ghost stuff etc...
I highly recommend this but I haven't done anything else Rezbit mentioned. There is a lot of stuff to see, I was only there for 2 weeks.

I went to visit my Dad who lives in Tassie and we checked out Port Arthur while I was there. It is amazing, all the convict stuff and stories to go along with it. The nighttime ghost tour is amazingly fun also. It was so packed when we went, we had a security guard give us the ghost tour. I have a feeling we probably got the better tour with him than if we had a proper tour guide. For me, the 2 days we had there was the hi-light of my visit.

Omikron

Rezbit said:
Well I am another Tasmanian on NeoGAF, so I have some suggestions for you!

Of course it depends on where abouts you are spending most of your time, because believe it or not, 10 days is NOT enough to see most of Tassie!

However, I will assemble a list of great things that you can possibly do/see:

Freycinet/Wineglass Bay/Coles Bay/Bicheno
Bay of Fires
Cradle Mountain
Port Arthur (convicts/ghost stuff etc...just don't go expecting to hear about the massacre, it is not mentioned at all down there)
Tasman Peninsula
The town of Ross, which was the inspiration for the setting of the Studio Ghibli film Kiki's Delivery Service

Hopefully those help :)

Seems like there are a few Tasmanians around... I escaped 6 years ago and miss it all the time.

Mostly agree with your suggestions, they should stick to the east coast for teh first trip down, from Bay of Fires down to the Huon Valley south of Hobart. :)

Edit: oh... no longer a junior... hah!

Omikron

markot said:
Whats the fastest Steam server in Australia for downloading stuff >_<?

I just the Victorian server option, speed seems to depend on number of sales going on at the time. But will generally get close to maxing out my connection majority of the time.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
markot said:

None in particular. Maybe bigpond or internode. There's no point downloading from australian servers unless you can get free traffic from it all.

Kritz

Banned
evlcookie said:
None in particular. Maybe bigpond or internode. There's no point downloading from australian servers unless you can get free traffic from it all.

Unfortunately the aus servers for the games I'm trying to download either don't have the games, or are too busy to let me start a download with them.

Games being Death Spank, Alpha Protocol and Kane and Lynch 2.

Hopefully it gets better after the sale.

Ydahs

markot said:
Wait you can change the Steam dl server? My Steam dls have been pathetic lately while before it was a minimum one megabyte per second.

rass

there is a blue ethernet cable running diagonally the entire length of our unit. Fuck this wireless card, fuck it up it's stupid ass.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
rass said:
there is a blue ethernet cable running diagonally the entire length of our unit. Fuck this wireless card, fuck it up it's stupid ass.

idbGnC.png

Ydahs

rass said:
Lucky you. I got a deadly stare from my dad when I suggested putting a cable through the roof. I'm going to try one more time, but i've conceded in buying a WiFi dongle.

In other news, looks like Victoria is headed to a hung parliament. I guess this means a revoting? Boo.

Ydahs said:
Lucky you. I got a deadly stare from my dad when I suggested putting a cable through the roof. I'm going to try one more time, but i've conceded in buying a WiFi dongle.

In other news, looks like Victoria is headed to a hung parliament. I guess this means a revoting? Boo.

I don't mind the voting spot for my area is across the road my house. I just look out the window and wait until the lines have shortened :)

rass

Clipper - nothing wrong with the card, just with my brains haha.

MSY had a wireless PCI card on special for $20 so I grabbed that. I proceeded to try and destroy the inside of my computer while attempting to install it into the wrong slot - then cracked the shits when it didn't work haha. I fixed it now, I had to go clean up like a boss earlier so I needed to leave it.

cookie - I love that picture haha.

So, in my endeavor to learn programming I started to learn Maya scripting. I made a script that creates a sphere, modifies it into a flower petal then creates a shader network and flower from the pieces. Followed tutorials for most of it, embellished it with some of my own 'fancy' ideas too. During the next week I'm going to try and make a script that will create a bouncing ball animation without my input, and without following tutorials. I'll see how it goes.

It's very satisfying to see something you've written work though, I'll tell you that.

edit:
Ydahs, my GF will put up with a bit thankfully, she wasn't too impressed but my PC needs to be connected to the internet so I can access digitaltutors.com (thanks work :D)
it's all away now anyway

wireless speed:

not too bad

Clipper

rass said:
Clipper - nothing wrong with the card, just with my brains haha.

MSY had a wireless PCI card on special for $20 so I grabbed that. I proceeded to try and destroy the inside of my computer while attempting to install it into the wrong slot - then cracked the shits when it didn't work haha. I fixed it now, I had to go clean up like a boss earlier so I needed to leave it.
Out of curiosity, which slot were you attempting to install it into?

Ydahs

Anyone here played through Eternal Sonata (PS3)? I need my JRPG fix but I haven't heard much of an opinion of it (besides professional reviews which don't mean much for JRPGs).

rass

Clipper said:
Out of curiosity, which slot were you attempting to install it into?
a bigger looking PCI slot? I have no idea

my joy might be short lived, I've already had a couple of disconnects. I do not trust the wireless at the moment

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
You silly man rass :lol

At least it's sorta working. Otherwise try and route the cable along the edges of the wall. As long as it's not on the floor she shouldn't mind too much :D

Clipper

rass said:
a bigger looking PCI slot? I have no idea

my joy might be short lived, I've already had a couple of disconnects. I do not trust the wireless at the moment
Go into the settings for the card (via Device Manager) and see if you can increase the power level. Also make sure you use the highest signal power level on your router too.

Salazar

Thanks Squirrel, Rezbit, Danoss & company. Kind of amped about the holiday now. Borrowing my bro's DSLR.

Evlcookie - There are five places we are staying at - 2 days at each. I dunno where they are, but a lot of planning has apparently gone into it.

Ydahs

omg old PC had wireless network card. Bro installs it into my new one, Bios resets, clock is set to 2002 and a bunch of items in my taskbar tray disappear. Oh and we found a dead worm in the case and the card didn't work. Restarted PC and clock reset back to 12 which might mean the internal battery is now dead :'(

Hopefully everything returns back to normal once we remove this POS card and proceed to placing it into the good for nothing Magic Blender we have.

rass

Ydahs said:
omg old PC had wireless network card. Bro installs it into my new one, Bios resets, clock is set to 2002 and a bunch of items in my taskbar tray disappear. Oh and we found a dead worm in the case and the card didn't work. Restarted PC and clock reset back to 12 which might mean the internal battery is now dead :'(

Hopefully everything returns back to normal once we remove this POS card and proceed to placing it into the good for nothing Magic Blender we have.
haha my clock reset to 2002 as well when I first got this card installed. Though I didn't find a dead worm.

It's stayed connected at least for a couple of hours now so I'm happy enough.

I bought the Pixar short films collection on Blu Ray today but won't get a chance to watch it until the end of the week :/ Dammit.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Ydahs said:
Anyone here played through Eternal Sonata (PS3)? I need my JRPG fix but I haven't heard much of an opinion of it (besides professional reviews which don't mean much for JRPGs).
I have it on 360. And i don't recommend it at all. It has very cringe worthy dialogue and storytelling. (by j-rpg standards), and the combat is extremely simplistic and repetitive.:lol

If you are looking for a good j-rpg on PS3 - probably should look out for demon souls, resonance of fate, valkyria chronicles, disgaea 3. That is assuming you haven't played them already.

remz

hamchan said:
I fucking hate Eternal Sonata. What a piece of shit game.
Not a fan, either.

as fas as this gen JRPGs go though, I like Resonance of Fate, although it's hardly traditional.

Ydahs

Lafiel said:
I have it on 360. And i don't recommend it at all. It has very cringe worthy dialogue and storytelling. (by j-rpg standards), and the combat is extremely simplistic and repetitive.:lol

If you are looking for a good j-rpg on PS3 - probably should look out for demon souls, resonance of fate, valkyria chronicles, disgaea 3. That is assuming you haven't played them already.
Hmm. I'm really looking for a traditional turn-based RPG which those four aren't... man this gen sucks for JRPGs. I do have Valkyria Chronicles though I haven't played it.

I'll probably end up getting Eternal Sonata because my brothers want it but there isn't anything else which will scratch my JRPG itch? Any Wii games? Guess I'll check out some DS RPGs.

Dead Man

Ydahs said:
Hmm. I'm really looking for a traditional turn-based RPG which those four aren't... man this gen sucks for JRPGs. I do have Valkyria Chronicles though I haven't played it.

I'll probably end up getting Eternal Sonata because my brothers want it but there isn't anything else which will scratch my JRPG itch? Any Wii games? Guess I'll check out some DS RPGs.
You should play Valkyria. I don't normally go for JRPGS but the art style dragged me in. An amazing game. It might not scratch your itch, but I don't think you'll regret it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
It takes about 6 days for my money to get into my paypal account

I was a fucking twat to not put money in it before this week.

ffs :(

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Ydahs said:

The DQ games on DS might fit your traditional turn-based criteria. And they're very awesome games. (4 & 5 especially). There's also a lot of other awesome j-rpgs that don't fit your criteria like devil survivor, the world ends with you, mario and luigi 3, shin megami tensei : strange journey (traditional but hardcore). Still, golden sun comes out next month in europe / australia for DS which might be what you're looking for.

Also you should definitely play your copy of Valkyria chronicles. I'm not the biggest fan of s-rpgs, and i loved that game.

HolyCheck said:
It takes about 6 days for my money to get into my paypal account

I was a fucking twat to not put money in it before this week.

ffs :(

You can do instant bank transfers if you have a credit card on your Paypal account. You don't ever need to use it, it just authorises you to do instant bank transfers.

giri

roosters93 said:
You can do instant bank transfers if you have a credit card on your Paypal account. You don't ever need to use it, it just authorises you to do instant bank transfers.

Linking a CC to a paypal account is an extremely dangerous minefield. PayPal aren't a bank and aren't beholden to all those rules and regulations, and... Just do a google search. It's not a good idea to leave a CC linked to your paypal account. Ever.

rass

sorry PC gaf, another question for you all

I have an Asus P6T mobo with 6gb (3x2) DDR3 ram (I don't know the speed of it haha). there are 3 more ram slots, would getting 12gb ram be as simple as buying another triple set? Or would I need some kind of magic 6 card matching set?

I want moar rams for some reason
I also want to get an SSD to put windows on, easy task? Everything on my system is backed up. All of this won't happen until the new year but I just want to make a plan.

Giri - I've had a cc linked to my PayPal for as long as I can remember, it's only used if there's not enough money in my savings account to pay for something. No problems that I recall.

Choc

Banned
anyone know what is going on in Sussex street at the moment near King Street Wharf in Sydney?

Cops, ambos, fire brigade every where

hazardous materials team is there to, someone drop something toxic?

legend166

So it looks like Australian politicians have been spared the wrath of wikileaks so far.

I am expecting something in the next five days calling Rudd a jerk or something :lol

Omikron

I would like to say that while New Vegas is an excellent game, geez it has some bugs...

Currently my 2 x companions have gone walkabouts somewhere in Vegas... they appear on the map as markers, but for the life of me I can not find them, nor are they in the Lucky 38 with the rest of them. Then there is the mysterious missing dog companion... sent him to Lucky 38, still hasn't arrived many game days later. Who knows.

Was reading up that a potential fix was some elevator in Vault 22... might have to go try it. Anyone else had this issue?

Also, seems achievements are a bit broken, I returned/found all the snowdomes but didn't get the achievement for it :lol

Ydahs

Lafiel said:
The DQ games on DS might fit your traditional turn-based criteria. And they're very awesome games. (4 & 5 especially). There's also a lot of other awesome j-rpgs that don't fit your criteria like devil survivor, the world ends with you, mario and luigi 3, shin megami tensei : strange journey (traditional but hardcore). Still, golden sun comes out next month in europe / australia for DS which might be what you're looking for.

Also you should definitely play your copy of Valkyria chronicles. I'm not the biggest fan of s-rpgs, and i loved that game.
Still haven't played a Dragon Quest game so it should be an good time to jump in the series. Heck, maybe I'll go straight to 9. Haven't played those other suggestions except for The World Ends With You (which is awesome).

fappenmeister said:
JC2 8 pack made it $7.50 each.

Group buys rule.

Somehow I read that as $7.50 for the eight in bed while on my iPod. I immediately got up, logged on to my computer only to realize it was $7.50 each :(

Fredescu

Omi said:
Was reading up that a potential fix was some elevator in Vault 22... might have to go try it. Anyone else had this issue?

Also, seems achievements are a bit broken, I returned/found all the snowdomes but didn't get the achievement for it :lol
Yeah, the Vault 22 elevator works like a charm. And yep, I didn't get the snowglobes achievement either, and about half a dozen others for quest completions.

Omikron

Fredescu said:
Yeah, the Vault 22 elevator works like a charm. And yep, I didn't get the snowglobes achievement either, and about half a dozen others for quest completions.

Ahh cool... will attempt to fix that tonight.

Must say, some of the random crap you find just by wandering around and exploring is pretty amazing.

Like....

The vault with the martyr chamber. Fuck me. Had to reload.

Fredescu

Omi said:
Like....

The vault with the martyr chamber. Fuck me. Had to reload.
Yeah, that vault is pretty amazing. If you use
a stealthboy and stay crouched, you should be able to get some stuff to finish a quest in one of the rooms on the side, and escape unharmed

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just started teaching myself some C++, it's nice to be exercising the mathematical/logical side of my brain again after being arty farty for most of this year. Learning stuff like this a weirdly enjoyable to me, it takes up all of my attention so I'm not actually stressing about anything else when I'm using that bit of my brain. It's nice and numbing. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom