• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

evlcookie said:
Do the upgrade at once. While in a way u could do it in steps you're just better off doing it in a single shot. So you know everything is working as it should be. Plus it gets u in a state of mind that says u have to make this thing last x amount of time so u research better and use your money more wisely.

Just have a figure and idea for how long it should last. You could get a 5850 and go 4gb of ram but the 5850 could be bottlenecked since your on a duel. Of course I'm on a worse CPU and a 4850 gpu and I can play most shit at 1920x1200. Not at 60fps though but I don't expect it too. So you might not bottleneck the 5850 much and u may not even notice, just depends on what u expect from the hardware configuration.

69xx series should be out next month and sandy bridge in jan / feb. That might be my next upgrade path, see how sandy performs. I would love to see bulldozer in action first but that might not be for another year. The old system is slowly becoming a dinosaur and i wouldnt mind a nas for strorage so i may never upgrade as I'm not rich :lol .

Edit holy shit the cookie monster is hosting snl? Sweeeeet.
Doesn't matter if he's CPU restricted on a 5850... once he gets everything else sorted he'll have the graphics card to go with it. Then if he wants to increase the graphics further, he can grab another one and crossfire those bitches for Real Ultimate Power.

BSS

Agyar said:
I turned my 360 on again this morning and it booted up without issue, so I'm holding off on sending it for repair. I'll try playing something on it tonight and see if it continues to have red ring issues.

What are other people's experiences with their 360s, is mine likely to be dying a slow death?

One of the times I had to send mine away it was inconsistent. You could play a game from 1-5 minutes before it would lock up and RROD. I decided that I wanted to squeeze the life out of it before sending away to be sure. So I booted a game and left it overnight... and the fucker was still working in the morning. Anyway, I sent it to be fixed knowing that it might work if they only tried it for a minute. They did fix it in the end.

^^ My 360 seems to be dying slowly. :(

It hasn't got the RROD but one day I turned it on and nothing appeared on my TV. Sound still worked and the 360 looked fine. It's the GPU coming off the motherboard I guess.

I've done the towel trick a few times but it only lasts a week or so and it's obviously not going to be helpful in the long run. But taking apart my 360 and fixing it properly is way too daunting for a noob like me.

Agyar

BSS said:
One of the times I had to send mine away it was inconsistent. You could play a game from 1-5 minutes before it would lock up and RROD. I decided that I wanted to squeeze the life out of it before sending away to be sure. So I booted a game and left it overnight... and the fucker was still working in the morning. Anyway, I sent it to be fixed knowing that it might work if they only tried it for a minute. They did fix it in the end.

I've done some further testing and it seems that once the thing has been on for five minutes, even just on the dashboard, it locks ups and red ringed until it's completely cooled down again. Well and truly broken, will send it in tomorrow.

Bernbaum

viciouskillersquirrel said:
So I just got back from Japan. Left with carry-on luggage and a girlfriend, came back with a new suitcase and a fiancé. Yey!

Oh, and some Pocky for Bernbaum. Just one box, mind. I got it at the airport with my last bit of change.
"Sorry, new fiancé, that seat belongs to Bernbaum's Pocky. Yes, it's the window seat, I know. Here, you can sit on my lap, it's only a few hours flight".

CONGRATULATIONS

Salazar

Clipper said:
So, I just noticed that I'm now directly responsible for at least three of the avatars in this thread: Salazar's, Megadrive's and my own (to a lesser degree).

My influence is spreading over AusGAF... Soon I will control al.... Uh....

*Clipper whistles nonchalantly*

Thanks, I'm quite fond of it.

pilonv1

lolz @ the anti-siphoning list update. May as well not have touched it. Besides Socceroos World Cup qualifiers on FTA it's a joke.

Danoss

FTA broadcasters now have no obligation to show much of any sport live now (State of Origin doesn't even have to be shown live, WTF?). PayTV appears to only get the scraps now, so those who pay for that just had their subscriptions devalued.

Pathetic.

rass

so...
watched the Walking Dead up to and including ep 4
love it. Can't wait for more/a box set :)

And just watched 'Sintel' as well (Blender org), I was quite surprised by it :/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I loved the pilot but haven't been super impressed with it since. The "I'm sorry this happened to you" scene with the crawling, cut in half zombie was fantastic.

Bernbaum

rass said:
so...
love it. Can't wait for more/a box set :)

And just watched 'Sintel' as well (Blender org), I was quite surprised by it :/
The comics are pretty darn good - you should read them.

Not Y the Last Man or Fables good, but still a quality read.

remz

Rez said:
I loved the pilot but haven't been super impressed with it since. The "I'm sorry this happened to you" scene with the crawling, cut in half zombie was fantastic.
yeah, that was a brilliant scene in both comic and tv

Clipper said:
So, I just noticed that I'm now directly responsible for at least three of the avatars in this thread: Salazar's, Megadrive's and my own (to a lesser degree).

My influence is spreading over AusGAF... Soon I will control al.... Uh....

*Clipper whistles nonchalantly*

Haha! Though my girlfriend just showed me
tumblr_lcetdyP0I21qzjkqs.gif
which I think I might resize somehow and then make into my avatar since I love Ryan Reynolds more than I love Jenny Owen Youngs.

Danoss

rass said:
so...
love it. Can't wait for more/a box set :)/
Well, it got picked up for a 2nd season already, so that's good news.

I wish more people would watch Terriers so that would be renewed. Looks like it's headed to an early grave :(

hamchan

hamchan said:
Bought GT5 and played a couple hours of it. I dunno yet, I think I like Forza 3 more. Will keep playing though so I can unlock everything, like car damage at level 40 wtf.

My feelings have changed, I now love this game. All hail the real driving simulator.

Shaneus

hamchan said:
My feelings have changed, I now love this game. All hail the real driving simulator.
Preeeetty sure I'm slowly turning. There are still some obvious oversights I'll never get over, but for the most part I'm enjoying it.

Dead Man

hamchan said:
Been playing a few hours now. I love it... but there are a few weird design choices they made that seem idiosyncratically PD. I'm not disappointed, I just wish it was more than GT4 with a HD skin, which is what it feels like so far. I am not seeing where all those delays went. But hey, I said years ago I would be happy with a HD GT4, and here it is! Back to GT for me, no sleep tonight I don't think. :lol

Edit: I have avoided the OT since I wanted to make judgements without foreknowledge of features, so I may be missing some cool thing of awesomeness. So many more hours will be needed before a definitive decision can be made. Oh woe.

Frawdder

Yeah, there are some strange design choices, the car delivery is really unnecessary and takes way too long to just put the car into your garage. Another is the amount of time it takes to retry a license test or special event. How hard is it to have Continue - Retry immediately after an event?

On the other hand, the driving is great. Playing with a G25 and I'm :D all the time.

Graphics, I can't notice half the stuff people complain about. Yes, there is some aliasing going on and the shadows are bit average, but once I'm concentrating on the road I can't notice that stuff anyway.

Anyways, anyone down for an AusGAF session tomorr--er, tonight (Friday night)? My PSN is the same as GAF if you want to add me.

Tntnnbltn

I don't know what all the complaints about the siphoning review are about. FTA broadcasters now have the option of broadcasting some of the protected content on their digital multi-channels. Previously it had to be on their main analog/digital channel, which meant certain telecasts were delayed in order to boost ratings (i.e. AFL games in northern states, NRL games elsewhere). Now FTA broadcasters can put these sports live into these states on one of the multichannels rather than delaying the broadcast for 3 hours.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Kane and lynch for $5 on steam. It has co-op and multiplayer, prob shit but it's $5!

There's some early sandy bridge numbers out, not that exciting If you are on the current intel system unless power usage is important, ~70w less at full load.

Omikron

evlcookie said:
Kane and lynch for $5 on steam. It has co-op and multiplayer, prob shit but it's $5!

Ignoring that load of tripe. Kinda figure I will end up getting it in some pack fo games and never play it, much like the first one. :lol

Will be picking up the indie pack again however.

Clipper

Megadrive said:
Haha! Though my girlfriend just showed me
tumblr_lcetdyP0I21qzjkqs.gif
which I think I might resize somehow and then make into my avatar since I love Ryan Reynolds more than I love Jenny Owen Youngs.
That sounds like a request to me...

ryan6.gif
ryan7.gif

With and without crazy elongated death stare ;).

Choc

Banned
whats the fucking point of having multiple channels if you wont cut one feed to the other channel

the BBC gets it, this is what they do in the UK when the F1 is delayed and they have a big show on BBC1 coming up they cut it to BBC2

The siphoning laws that passed parliament wil lforce Channel 9 to stick with the cricket in future. It basically says if a FTA channel wants sport they need to respect it and show it properly and not at 3am in teh morning (HERE FUCKING HERE)

Cricket Australia should be pissed with channel 9. Would never have happened with Kerry around then again with Kerry around we would have FUCKING HD

Also GT5 is car sex. It is really good. Go karting is the best thing they ever added to GT :D

NBA Jam is fucking koots.

They did an amazing job recapturing what the original felt like back then, but still feels as good as, if not better than Hangtime.

Just a shitload of fun pressed on a disc.

MrSerrels

2 Minutes Turkish said:

They did an amazing job recapturing what the original felt like back then, but still feels as good as, if not better than Hangtime.

That's weird, I had a mess about it and really got pissed off with it. Maybe I should give it another bash.

Choc

Banned
Mark

that means the dev's did their job right

NBA Jam used to shit me to tears with its rubberband AI comebacks :p

MrSerrels said:
That's weird, I had a mess about it and really got pissed off with it. Maybe I should give it another bash.

They've carried over pretty much every quirk from the original.

Rubberbanding Midway 'game gets pissed off with you AI' that Mortal Kombat has, and the computer always rejecting you.

Just set it to easy so the CPU doesn't go over the top with it all.

BanShunsaku said:
What is koots?

Damn kids with your crazy lingo, get off my lawn.

Kids? I'm 30.

Having said that, I picked up koots off guys about 5 years my junior so yeah. :lol

Kritz

Banned
We should totally play some bad, bad Kane and Lynch MP sometime over the weekend. I'm sure there were enough idiots people that bought it for us to fill up a server ourselves. Assuming the game still has / ever had servers.

Also, I've been bandwidth capped this entire week to 128kbps. Yet on Steam I have bought:

Super Meat Boy (plus I gifted it to Mega 'cuz I'm awesome)
Poker at the Poop Table
Alpha Protocol
Death Spank
The Indie Story Bundle
Kane and Lynch 2

>_<

I think I have a problem. Of not owning every game, ever! Right? RIGHT?

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Oh I forgot it was out, I've got to play this.
I never played the original but I'm sure I'll love arcade-style NBA whatever it is.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
pilonv1 said:
I'd rather buy the indie story pack as a gift for someone than inflict K&L2 on anyone.

For $5 it's probably a bit of silly fun. I think i've purchased worst games for more. I know i will be picking up kl2 and the indie pack once i get home. Capitalism, Ho!

Kritz

Banned
evlcookie said:
For $5 it's probably a bit of silly fun. I think i've purchased worst games for more. I know i will be picking up kl2 and the indie pack once i get home. Capitalism, Ho!

Speaking of capitalism, when does the warcraft expansion thing hit stores? I remember hearing through the Orbi that it'd be fairly cheap at Dicky Smiths and I figure I might as well buy it since I just spent $40 on WoW+BC+LC...

Also, since Bloody Good Time, my standards for $5 steam games has been lowered quite a lot. So maybe Kane and Lynch 2 will at the least, kind of meet my expectations of not very good shooter that kinda looks pretty good and has what the guns. 5/5 stars etc

Agyar

Kritz said:
We should totally play some bad, bad Kane and Lynch MP sometime over the weekend. I'm sure there were enough idiots people that bought it for us to fill up a server ourselves. Assuming the game still has / ever had servers.

Also, I've been bandwidth capped this entire week to 128kbps. Yet on Steam I have bought:

Super Meat Boy (plus I gifted it to Mega 'cuz I'm awesome)
Poker at the Poop Table
Alpha Protocol
Death Spank
The Indie Story Bundle
Kane and Lynch 2

>_<

I think I have a problem. Of not owning every game, ever! Right? RIGHT?

K&L 2 multiplayer apparently has some cool multiplayer modes. Plus it has lots of yelling and baldness.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Kritz said:
Speaking of capitalism, when does the warcraft expansion thing hit stores? I remember hearing through the Orbi that it'd be fairly cheap at Dicky Smiths and I figure I might as well buy it since I just spent $40 on WoW+BC+LC...

Also, since Bloody Good Time, my standards for $5 steam games has been lowered quite a lot. So maybe Kane and Lynch 2 will at the least, kind of meet my expectations of not very good shooter that kinda looks pretty good and has what the guns. 5/5 stars etc

You can pick it up at battle.net for $40. Not sure how much the instore cataclysm will be but it comes out on december 7th. Maybe check dse.com.au , could have an online price.

Danoss

evlcookie said:
You can pick it up at battle.net for $40. Not sure how much the instore cataclysm will be but it comes out on december 7th. Maybe check dse.com.au , could have an online price.
Then you're only saving roughly $2 by going to DSE. Also it's not being sold until 7pm in Australia by the looks of it, so best to buy it from Blizzard and pre-load (if you plan on logging in straight away when the servers go live at 6pm).

Kritz

Banned
evlcookie said:

Maybe. I'd rather get a physical copy because man am I not interested in installing WoW from Blizzard's thing. It's... way too large.

Do I need BC and LC actively installed in order to run Catapalism? I hope not. D:

I don't really want to go over my cap any time soon next month, what with MORE STEAM SALES.

Shaneus

Agyar said:
K&L 2 multiplayer apparently has some cool multiplayer modes. Plus it has lots of yelling and baldness.
Any idea if it's censored here or not? I just looked at my Steam receipt and it said Kane & Lynch 2 AU... the other games didn't :(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Kritz said:
Maybe. I'd rather get a physical copy because man am I not interested in installing WoW from Blizzard's thing. It's... way too large.

Do I need BC and LC actively installed in order to run Catapalism? I hope not. D:

I don't really want to go over my cap any time soon next month, what with MORE STEAM SALES.

Most of the old world changes have happened in the current patch. The only thing you get in cataclysm is the level 80 - 85 worlds and goblin / worgen race options. I think everything else is pretty much in the game at this point.

You don't need to install every version of the game. Just install from cataclysm or lich king and everything will be there, depending on which one you install from. As long as you have each expansion activated on your account you should be fine.

Shaneus

PS. Anyone have a good, portable solution for a wheel stand? The Wheelstand Pro looks awesome but it's way too fucking expensive :/

Help me out, AusGAF.

I want to buy my better half a laptop for Christmas. Thing is I know nothing about laptops or where the best place to pick one up is (I normally get them through work).

All she needs is something for her uni work, no games or anything.

I'm looking to spend between $500-$1000, and would want one with a 15 inch screen and at least a 320gig HD and 4 gigs RAM. I have a preference for HP but I'm not stuck on it.

Any suggestions?

Agyar

BanShunsaku said:
Help me out, AusGAF.

I want to buy my better half a laptop for Christmas. Thing is I know nothing about laptops or where the best place to pick one up is (I normally get them through work).

All she needs is something for her uni work, no games or anything.

I'm looking to spend between $500-$1000, and would want one with a 15 inch screen and at least a 320gig HD and 4 gigs RAM. I have a preference for HP but I'm not stuck on it.

Any suggestions?

Is she going to be taking it to Uni, because the type of laptops you're suggesting are big and heavy. 15" are barely portable if you want to walk anywhere or use them on transport, 13" models are usually a lot lighter and slimmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom