• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSerrels

Bernbaum said:
Mildly on-topic: I think the ever-pervasive binge-drinking culture in Australia is pretty bloody bad. A lot of people are brought up thinking it's the norm and there is little appreciation for alcoholic drinks on a 'quality-enjoyment' level and people of all ages still gauge how much fun they've had on a night out by how wasted they got. Sure, other countries have this problem, but I've seen the exact same behaviour exhibited all the way from naive teenagers to professional near-retirement adults. Because I'm old
and have a Zimmer frame and consume Werther's Originals in my Volvo, I'll have maybe two or three drinks tops and that'll do me. When it's midnight and everyone is shabby as fuck and you're the most sober, it's pretty messy business and enough to put you off drinking like that.

It's christmas party season. Y'all know what I mean.

+2 or +3. Whatever, I agree with you. Stopped drinking when I hit 23 and don't regret a thing.

Rezbit

Clipper said:
I do have a wider taste in the alcohol, though. I can barely stand lagers, but I love a good ale. Sounds like Rezbit and I have a little in common too, as I really love Little Creatures and James Squire. Never tried Matilda Bay Fat Yak, but now I'm going to have to give that a try too.

I don't mind a few lagers like Becks and Kronenbourg 1664. I also like a nice Weissbier. But I have really grown to love the rich, fruity flavours in some of the Aussie ales that are about. You're in for a treat with the Fat Yak, quite fruity like the Little Creatures with a bit more of a bitter after taste.

Did I just sound like a total wanker?

Clipper

Rezbit said:
I don't mind a few lagers like Becks and Kronenbourg 1664. I also like a nice Weissbier. But I have really grown to love the rich, fruity flavours in some of the Aussie ales that are about. You're in for a treat with the Fat Yak, quite fruity like the Little Creatures with a bit more of a bitter after taste.

Yes, I do like a good Weissbier too. And yeah, a few of the European lagers are OK, but the Aussie and US stuff is rubbish in comparison to a nice ale. The US ales are quite good too in my experience (especially some of those local to Boston), but I've only really tried those ones while visiting there.

And yeah, I'll get Fat Yak next time I'm at the Australian Hotel bar (it's on draught, yay). Which of their pizzas would you reckon would best accompany the beer... kangarooo, emu or crocodile?

jambo

Stackboy said:
Have you all done your xmas shopping yet? Got mine done in one foul swoop Thursday night.
I need to get a few small surprise things and the work kris kringle, but other than that, I'm done too.

Stackboy said:
Have you all done your xmas shopping yet? Got mine done in one foul swoop Thursday night.
One fell swoop. Fell - as in "savage, vicious, evil and violent". It's Shakespeare. Why does everyone always get it wrong?

Did my shopping in Japan and it's all wrapped up under the tree. Feels good man.

Clipper

viciouskillersquirrel said:
One fell swoop. Fell - as in "savage, vicious, evil and violent." It's Shakespeare. Why does everyone always get it wrong?
Fixed.

Trailing punctuation should appear within the quotation marks. It's basic grammar. Why does everyone always get it wrong?

Seriously, though, that one doesn't irk me that much any more. The common ones that do irk me are 'common' instead of 'come on' and 'loose' when you mean 'lose', and anyone using the spelling 'rediculous' should be ridiculed.

Rezbit

Clipper said:
Yes, I do like a good Weissbier too. And yeah, a few of the European lagers are OK, but the Aussie and US stuff is rubbish in comparison to a nice ale. The US ales are quite good too in my experience (especially some of those local to Boston), but I've only really tried those ones while visiting there.

And yeah, I'll get Fat Yak next time I'm at the Australian Hotel bar (it's on draught, yay). Which of their pizzas would you reckon would best accompany the beer... kangarooo, emu or crocodile?

Can't say I've ever eaten crocodile or emu! So I'd go with crocodile. The website recommends chorizo and tomato pizza. But it pretty much says drink it with anything :lol

I just popped out and bought myself a carton of Wahoo (an ale)...only remember drinking it once at a beer festival and liking it. Here goes!

Bernbaum

My password was one of the squillions snatched up by the Gawker hackers.

Not sure what damage they could have done with it. Perhaps improve upon my Kotaku avatar:

92452_32.jpg

(Holy shit I haven't logged into us.kotaku since 2007)

Dead Man

Rezbit said:

Fat Yak is outstanding. I went to WA for the first time last year, and now I'm hooked on the stuff!

CryptiK

so I ordered an awesome amount of Classic Doctor Who and was guarrenteed shipping by the 24th from Amazon... now the expected shipping date is the 29th WTF this was my GF's Christmas present. now She will only get a Remote Control Dalek on christmas how lame :(

Agyar

Clipper said:

There are some decent Australian craft lagers but I'll take an ale any day, especially when you can get a golden ale that has all the good qualities of a lager with so much more. If you like Weissbier, Red Back is pretty nice and available fairly widely as well.

Edit: Also, most of the "European" lagers are brewed by Lion Nathan or Fosters under license. Heineken and Becks are Lion Nathan and Stella, Kronenberg and even stuff like Corona are brewed by Fosters. I swear they probably all come out of the same vat, as there's hardly a discernable taste between them.

Bernbaum

Ales are gross. I ordered a 'Pride of London' from a bar in Reading - the bartender asked if I wanted it from the shelf or the fridge. I thought the ones on the shelf were for display. Warm or cold, it was still foul.

Rezbit

So continuing on the beer talk, Wahoo? Delicious. Needs to be ice cold though, very "summery". Dead Man, when I was last there I went to Tanglehead brewery in Albany and had a Weissbier called Great Southern Ale. Oh my God, it was so good and I wish I could get some. Agyar, I did hear that about some of the European lagers here. I still like the Becks, and I haven't actually drank an "Australian" Kronenbourg. It was good in France though. I did wonder why Heineken tasted so awesome in Holland, but so arsey in Australia. :lol

r1chard

Find yourself a proper little cellar like Doc's in North Ringwood (Vic) who will stock the really obscure Australian craft beers. With the wine glut some of the wineries branched out to making smallish runs of beer. Some of those are real gems. A good cellar will import a bunch too, which can be fun.

Also, Moo Brew.

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
Ales are gross. I ordered a 'Pride of London' from a bar in Reading - the bartender asked if I wanted it from the shelf or the fridge. I thought the ones on the shelf were for display. Warm or cold, it was still foul.

Most beers are ales and the variety of ales is so great that there are brews to suit every palate. If you normally drink lagers, the first varieties you should be trying are golden and pale ales.

Dead Man

Rezbit said:
So continuing on the beer talk, Wahoo? Delicious. Needs to be ice cold though, very "summery". Dead Man, when I was last there I went to Tanglehead brewery in Albany and had a Weissbier called Great Southern Ale. Oh my God, it was so good and I wish I could get some. Agyar, I did hear that about some of the European lagers here. I still like the Becks, and I haven't actually drank an "Australian" Kronenbourg. It was good in France though. I did wonder why Heineken tasted so awesome in Holland, but so arsey in Australia. :lol
Cool, I'm heading back in March/April, I'll have to make the trip there.

Danoss

I'm not as much of a drinker as I used to be. I had one massive day of drinking, 11am to 3am the next morning. There was multiple large blackout periods throughout that time-frame where I did many stupid but hilarious things. The fact I couldn't remember most of the day concerned me. That was coupled with the fact that my GP said my liver was pretty fucked after doing a blood test for something unrelated; he said even light beer was a bad idea. :lol

I'm quite happy to kick back with a whisky or two and leave it at that nowadays.

For beer fans though, I have something to recommend if you live near Seven Hills in Sydney or near Wollongong.

The Beer Factory.

Make your own home brew beer in a proper microbrewery from its raw ingredients. It takes about 60-90 mins to do (plus a painful few week wait afterwards) but the result is outstanding! Works out cheaper than beer off-the-shelf, tastes better and best of all... no preservatives (which contribute greatly to a hangover)! On my last visit I made the Cream Ale, which I highly recommend.

After brewing my own there with a couple of mates, most off-the-shelf beers taste like the beer equivalent of watered down cordial.

Bernbaum

Agyar said:
Most beers are ales and the variety of ales is so great that there are brews to suit every palate. If you normally drink lagers, the first varieties you should be trying are golden and pale ales.
I like Cooper's Pale. That's about it!

Favourite beers are Peroni, Becks and Corona. I associate beer with summer, and those drops suit me to a tee. Had a thing for stout back in the day, as that's what Dad brews, but I've gone right off 'em.

Agyar

Bernbaum said:

Favourite beers are Peroni, Becks and Corona. I associate beer with summer, and those drops suit me to a tee. Had a thing for stout back in the day, as that's what Dad brews, but I've gone right off 'em.

If you want rad, easily available summer beers, you want Coopers Sparkling Ale, Redback, Wicked Elf Weissbier, Monteith's Summer Ale, Little Creatures Bright Ale, James Squire Golden Ale or if you really, really must have a lager, James Squire Sundowner. And that's just local stuff (with a NZ brew snuck in the middle).

Dead Man

Bernbaum said:

Good man.

As for drinking, back when I was a much younger man, I started drinking in Mount Gambier (where I was 'lucky' enough to live) and drank enough to black out. I woke up in a town I did not recognise. After establishing I had no wallet, no money, and no idea where I was, I had the very embarrassing task of asking someone what town this was. Turned out to be Portland. About 120km from where I started. Almost 2 decades later, I still have no idea what happened, or how I got there. So I don't get very drunk any more. I do love a beer or 2, or a glass of wine with food, but that's about it these days.

Rezbit

Agyar said:
If you want rad, easily available summer beers, you want Coopers Sparkling Ale, Redback, Wicked Elf Weissbier, Monteith's Summer Ale, Little Creatures Bright Ale, James Squire Golden Ale or if you really, really must have a lager, James Squire Sundowner. And that's just local stuff (with a NZ brew snuck in the middle).

Coopers Sparkling is pretty good, gives you a bit of an extra kick too.

But back on the ales, I remember a couple of years ago at Beerfest in Hobart, I tried this random beer and was blown away: Pepperjack Ale from Saltram Wine Estate. It was amazing. $73 is expensive but I am so tempted to get a case.

Maybe I'm part of the problem, but Dead Man that story is awesome and hilarious. 120kms? I am honestly impressed with how pissed you must have been :lol

Dead Man said:
Good man.

As for drinking, back when I was a much younger man, I started drinking in Mount Gambier (where I was 'lucky' enough to live) and drank enough to black out. I woke up in a town I did not recognise. After establishing I had no wallet, no money, and no idea where I was, I had the very embarrassing task of asking someone what town this was. Turned out to be Portland. About 120km from where I started. Almost 2 decades later, I still have no idea what happened, or how I got there. So I don't get very drunk any more. I do love a beer or 2, or a glass of wine with food, but that's about it these days.

That's actually a pretty awesome drinking story.

Dead Man

Rezbit said:
Coopers Sparkling is pretty good, gives you a bit of an extra kick too.

But back on the ales, I remember a couple of years ago at Beerfest in Hobart, I tried this random beer and was blown away: Pepperjack Ale from Saltram Wine Estate. It was amazing. $73 is expensive but I am so tempted to get a case.

Maybe I'm part of the problem, but Dead Man that story is awesome and hilarious. 120kms? I am honestly impressed with how pissed you must have been :lol
Megadrive said:
That's actually a pretty awesome drinking story.
It makes for a funny story now, but I felt pretty special at the time. :lol

Bernbaum

Agyar said:
A few things there I've never tried. Will pick some up for the holiday. Noosa + afternoons on the river = good times.

Clipper said:
Fixed.

Trailing punctuation should appear within the quotation marks. It's basic grammar. Why does everyone always get it wrong?

Seriously, though, that one doesn't irk me that much any more. The common ones that do irk me are 'common' instead of 'come on' and 'loose' when you mean 'lose', and anyone using the spelling 'rediculous' should be ridiculed.
It depends on usage, actually. American and British conventions are different and both are correct as long as you're consistent (which I'm not).

Lots of good beer talk, just some of the talk is about the wrong beers. You can get some amazing Australian beers, you just have to move away from the big guys. Have a look out for (in no particular order) stuff from White Rabbit, Prickly Moses, Bridge Road Brewers, Thunder Road, 3 Ravens, Mountain Goat.

And waking up 120km from where you started with no recollection, money, wallet is pretty epic by any standards. I somehow always manage to end up at home, in bed, like Kenny but without the horrible birth.

Edit: I've had the Pepperjack. I didn't mind the first--though wasn't enamoured with it--but didn't care for the second a day or two later. My pick for the summer is White Rabbit's White Ale. Prickly Moses Summer Ale is great too.

Choc

Banned
12 years out and FIFA is already FUCKED

FIFA President Sepp Blatter says gay supporters should not have sex in Qatar, with homosexuality banned in the Gulf State.

Asked whether gays and lesbians should worry about attending the tournament because of the Middle Eastern country's hostile attitude towards homosexuality, Blatter quipped: "They should refrain from any sexual activities."

how can a so called forward thinking body, be so backward in allowing this to happen.

"This is the development of football and don't speak about money. This has nothing to do with money, as it had nothing to do with money here in Africa. It has to do with the development of the game," he said, bringing his fist down on a podium for emphasis.

english media are right, clearly rattled and clearly corrupt.

Choc

Banned
also another good manager sacked, alladyrce from blackburn

apparently didnt chase the targets the board wanted him to. Fuck the PL boards, they are ruining the game

giri

Rezbit said:

Also, binge drinking, while not great for your health also has a stupid medical classification of like, 4 + standards. Which is stupid.

I still binge drink, and don't have a problem with those who do. But i don't regularly do it to the point of blacking out. Maybe my tolerance has just gone up. But I also drink many times, for the enjoyment of the drink. Oettinger, Lowenbrau, Kirin, Bittburger are all currently in my fridge, oh and weistaphen too. All very good beers that i love to drink. I'm also a massive single malt fan and drink much of that, for the enjoyment of the drink.

I don't see/have a problem with people binge drinking. If you want to have fun, get loose, or just fucked up, go ahead and have a blast. But to put it in context, i also don't have a problem with people doing drugs, i don't consider it that different to getting smashed on alcohol. I do readily admit that both, cause health problems.

I also set my self rules that i don't drink on school nights, sunday - thursday nights are completely alcohol free. I'm 28 for those curious.

But if you don't want to binge drink, i don't look down upon people, nor do i care if someone wants to stay sobre (fore what ever reason) that night. I'm not one of those people that HAVE to get drunk, nor do i HAVE to see everyone else getting drunk. But some times, when out with the lads, getting absolutely fucking smashed, is just fun.

I find fat yak completely dissapointing, actually.

I'm also not a fan of the coopers drinks. Though the wicked elf weisbeer is brilliant, so is the weistaphen weisbeer (and so is their dark).

Agyar said:
Edit: Also, most of the "European" lagers are brewed by Lion Nathan or Fosters under license. Heineken and Becks are Lion Nathan and Stella, Kronenberg and even stuff like Corona are brewed by Fosters. I swear they probably all come out of the same vat, as there's hardly a discernable taste between them.

Kronenbourg is no longer brewed here, too many people stopped buying it when they found out it was brewed here (cause it completely changed the taste, much to the negative). Or maybe it's just dan murphys are only selling the imported one? I know i'm completely dissapointed with the locally brewed carlsberg, so so SO inferior to the imported stuff (the imported stuff is one of my favorite beers on the planet).

Also, try big helga if you see it out and about, it's very nice.

Agyar

codswallop said:
Lots of good beer talk, just some of the talk is about the wrong beers. You can get some amazing Australian beers, you just have to move away from the big guys. Have a look out for (in no particular order) stuff from White Rabbit, Prickly Moses, Bridge Road Brewers, Thunder Road, 3 Ravens, Mountain Goat.

And waking up 120km from where you started with no recollection, money, wallet is pretty epic by any standards. I somehow always manage to end up at home, in bed, like Kenny but without the horrible birth.

Edit: I've had the Pepperjack. I didn't mind the first--though wasn't enamoured with it--but didn't care for the second a day or two later. My pick for the summer is White Rabbit's White Ale. Prickly Moses Summer Ale is great too.

White Rabbit is particularly good, I also enjoy their dark ale. 3 Ravens also gets the thumbs up.

These choices are a little more select than the stuff I have been recommending, which was purely based on availability (apart from the Wicked Elf, which is less widely stocked). For someone who doesn't drink a lot of beers outside the local lagers, the easiest place to start is something they can easily find and recognise in most bottle shops. I'm spoiled for choice really, with a boutique bottle shop stocking over 300 local and imported beers just down the road but others aren't so fortunate, being stuck with BWS or whatever in their local shopping centre. That said, Dan Murpheys is always worth a visit if you have the opportunity as they generally stock a reasonable range.

Agyar

giri said:
Kronenbourg is no longer brewed here, too many people stopped buying it when they found out it was brewed here (cause it completely changed the taste, much to the negative). Or maybe it's just dan murphys are only selling the imported one? I know i'm completely dissapointed with the locally brewed carlsberg, so so SO inferior to the imported stuff (the imported stuff is one of my favorite beers on the planet).

Also, try big helga if you see it out and about, it's very nice.

That could be true, I don't really keeps tabs on it. From your other list of choices, Kirin is locally brewed by Lion Nathan and I find it to be pretty average. But that's like most lagers, nothing to get excited about.

Agyar said:
These choices are a little more select than the stuff I have been recommending, which was purely based on availability (apart from the Wicked Elf, which is less widely stocked). For someone who doesn't drink a lot of beers outside the local lagers, the easiest place to start is something they can easily find and recognise in most bottle shops.
Absolutely. However I found that my beer consumption increased once I found ones without preservatives. I can drink more, they don't have the chemical/soapy taste and I feel better after drinking them than ones laden with preservatives.

Incidentally, my gateway beer (i.e. the one that made me like beer) was just Stella. And then a few months in Europe surrounded by Chimay, Hofbrau, Kronenbourg 1664 etc certainly helped out a lot.

legend166

Anyone know of a good, trust worthy mechanic on the North Shore of Sydney?

My car needs a service and I'm always worried I'm getting completely ripped off. My last service cost me $800 :|

Fredescu

giri said:
I don't see/have a problem with people binge drinking. If you want to have fun, get loose, or just fucked up, go ahead and have a blast. But to put it in context, i also don't have a problem with people doing drugs, i don't consider it that different to getting smashed on alcohol. I do readily admit that both, cause health problems.
What you do in your own home is no business of mine. If you get drunk and get into fights in public or drive your car you should be locked the hell up. Unfortunately both are extremely common and the general culture that getting off your head is socially acceptable, and even a badge of honour sometimes, is to blame for that.

giri

Fredescu said:
What you do in your own home is no business of mine. If you get drunk and get into fights in public or drive your car you should be locked the hell up. Unfortunately both are extremely common and the general culture that getting off your head is socially acceptable, and even a badge of honour sometimes, is to blame for that.

Oh god, the sesationalist media in this country has so much to atone for. This pereception is high amongst them. There aren't millions of bar fights going down every day. Most night clubs/Pubs don't turn into a wild west all in brawl after midnight, or 3am. I've been regularly going out 2 - 3 times a week for 8 odd years, and have seen 1 near fight that bouncers broke up instantly. Alot of the people involved in these are people who have genuine social issues. And i don't just hang out in the one place, i go to many around brisbane. Even frequenting several supposed trouble spots.

That said, i completely agree with you. You drink and drive, you should lose your license for 12 months. You get into a drunken brawl, it should be looked at no differently than if you were sober. But the instances of these things aren't increasing, from what i can tell, to any great degree than they were 30 or 40 years ago. There might be more of them by number, but i'd be greatly surprised if they were greater by %.

But it makes fantastic politicing and news stories, and people who no longer go out (in general, most would have stopped by their mid 30's) don't mind the politicing and soapboxing going on about it and enjoy taking a moral high ground stance too. It annoys me no end.

And no where in this country is drunk fighting or driving a badge of honour or respect, so no, our drinking culture has NOTHING to do with THAT. it's very easy to make smart choices about both things in this country. It's actually very hard to make dumb ones.

jambo

I'm in full RPG mode atm. I recently finished New Vegas, have been playing Borderlands co-op with a mate, and have just started Fallout 3 and Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind.

I wonder what's next. I still have Mass Effect to play...

giri said:
Oh god, the sesationalist media in this country has so much to atone for. This pereception is high amongst them. There aren't millions of bar fights going down every day. Most night clubs/Pubs don't turn into a wild west all in brawl after midnight, or 3am. I've been regularly going out 2 - 3 times a week for 8 odd years, and have seen 1 near fight that bouncers broke up instantly.
So true. I've been going out for about 4-5 years now and I've only ever seen 2 fights, and they were more just 1 guy throwing a punch and security popping up almost instantly and ejecting them.

Fredescu

giri said:
Oh god, the sesationalist media in this country has so much to atone for. This pereception is high amongst them. There aren't millions of bar fights going down every day. Most night clubs/Pubs don't turn into a wild west all in brawl after midnight, or 3am.
I've never seen either of these claims in the media. Care to point out some examples?

giri

Fredescu said:
I've never seen either of these claims in the media. Care to point out some examples?

3AM lockouts. Any news story about that topic is generally a gross pile of vote gaining debauchery that people should lose their right to publish articles for "news" outlets over.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I generally stay out of these conversations, but to say there isn't a problem, or at least a very important conversation worth having, regarding binge drinking in young-Australia is employing the same brand of blind traditionalism that would make Katter proud.

jambo

Binge drinking is definitely a very real problem, but there aren't millions of bar brawls going on every night of the weekend like the media often portrays.

giri

Rez said:
I generally stay out of these conversations, but to say there isn't a problem, or at least a very important conversation worth having, regarding binge drinking in young-Australia is employing the same brand of blind traditionalism that would make Katter proud.

It's not even as much of a problem as obesity is in this country.

But i also guess what you think "problem" means, is a portion of why it's worth discussing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom