• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

jambo said:
Flights have been booked, accommodation has been arranged, tickets have been paid for.

Armin Only New Years Eve Melbourne.

Bring it on!
Doing anything NYD? Should come to Summadayze!

jambo

Rez said:
speaking of which, they put on a completely amazing show. what an awesome stage.

very happy they played Citizen Erased. Also the drum/bass solo on the rotating stage in the middle was fucking ace.

I recorded that on my phone, fucking mental!

Shaneus said:
Doing anything NYD? Should come to Summadayze!
Well the show goes from 9pm to 6am so I'll probably be sleeping =P

Choc

Banned
Weather forecasters have admitted that the English storm present in Perth yesterday, has become more ferocious and is now of the Australian type

Kritz said:
help we're out of beer and little cakes

what do I do
That should be obvious: Take the closest car from management (with or without permission) and drive drunk to the nearest establishment serving alcohol*.

*Not actual advice, for entertainment purposes only.

Agyar

evlcookie said:
Can't stand twitter and i can't stand facebook.

That shouldn't surprise anyone though :lol

I bet you were one of those people that held out on getting a mobile phone for years as well.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Choc said:
complete this sentence (and dont ridicule, its educational!)

if i like muse i would like....

horse shit, because that's what they are like.

Heyoooooo

Agyar said:
I bet you were one of those people that held out on getting a mobile phone for years as well.

Opposite. I loved mobile phones but only when they had a purpose, ie dating a girl. I picked up a brand new nokia back in the day (outright, fuck plans) because it had polyphonic ringtones. Talk about hip and happening back in the early 00s.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
evlcookie said:
horse shit, because that's what they are like.

Heyoooooo

Opposite. I loved mobile phones but only when they had a purpose, ie dating a girl. I picked up a brand new nokia back in the day (outright, fuck plans) because it had polyphonic ringtones. Talk about hip and happening back in the early 00s.

Your opinions on music stopped counting when you said daft punk were shit and you wore a tool shirt

jambo

I love Daft Punk and Tool.

Also I hate music snobbery.

"Oh you listen to those sounds?! The sounds I like are so much better!"

Die in a fire.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
HolyCheck said:
Your opinions on music stopped counting when you said daft punk were shit and you wore a tool shirt

Tool > Muse > Daft Punk :D

I keep hearing older muse is less comercial than the new stuff, I keep getting told to check it out by some metal friends. I will get around to it one day.

HolyCheck

jambo said:
I love Daft Punk and Tool.

Also I hate music snobbery.

"Oh you listen to those sounds?! The sounds I like are so much better!"

Die in a fire.

I like tool too, theres just a stigma that comes with wearing a Tool shirt

jambo

What's "commercial" about the new Muse album? Can you actually tell me what "commercial" means in regards to alternative rock?

Shaneus

jambo said:
What's "commercial" about the new Muse album? Can you actually tell me what "commercial" means in regards to alternative rock?
A lot more people seem to be into Muse now than ever before? That's how a lot of my favourite bands become "commercial". Doesn't stop me liking them though :)

HolyCheck

evlcookie said:
Tool > Muse > Daft Punk :D

I keep hearing older muse is less comercial than the new stuff, I keep getting told to check it out by some metal friends. I will get around to it one day.

Hysteria - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dm_5qWWDV8 (my favourite)
Stockholm Syndrome - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXN9acC9edU
Cave - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62NJKpa9Fe0
Sunburn - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9SZaOJEWXU

enjoy

Shaneus said:
A lot more people seem to be into Muse now than ever before? That's how a lot of my favourite bands become "commercial". Doesn't stop me liking them though :)

I still find it amazing how big they got up to 2007 in AU without any airplay on anything but JJJ in Aus... it baffles many

Bernbaum

I still listen to some of the goofy christian punk rock that we lapped up during high school. MxPx, Slick Shoes and Ghoti Hook motherfuckers!

Nemesis_

MUSE have jumped in popularity ever since they made this piece of shit.

600px-Neutron_Star_Collision.png

TWO GUESSES AS TO WHERE THIS SONG WAS FEATURED. U_U

All their other stuff pre-The Resistance is amazing.

Cannot wait to see them Sunday. U_U

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
jambo said:
I think commercial is just a buzz word people throw around.

I just listen to what I like.

Commercial, I guess means more toned down. Songs that are designed for radio play. Kings of leon are probably a prime example that gets thrown around. I'm not too sure how much of their earlier stuff is different to the sex on fire crap, maybe it's the same, maybe it's completely different. But going on reports the bands image changed a bit and songs sounded like they were designed for radio.

They made themselves a shit load of money so you can't fault them for it. If you want to be successful you have to make that sort of music, 3 - 4 minutes in length with a basic beat and some sort of shitty chorus. Making it about heart break seems to be a winner too!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
you're in for a treat, they put on an amazing show.

Bernbaum

I'm finally out of Mexico in Red Dead and I'm just about done with this game. How much more do I have to labour through before the credits? I'm guessing I'm two-thirds there.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
that's the boring section of the game down, now you have about a quarter, maybe a tad more, of game to go.

Frawdder

Nemesis556 said:
MUSE have jumped in popularity ever since they made this piece of shit.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/41/Neutron_Star_Collision.png/600px-Neutron_Star_Collision.png[IMG]

TWO GUESSES AS TO WHERE THIS SONG WAS FEATURED. U_U

All their other stuff pre-The Resistance is amazing.

Cannot wait to see them Sunday. U_U[/QUOTE]
That song is awful.

On the upside, seeing Muse live is one hell of an experience.

jambo

evlcookie said:
Commercial, I guess means more toned down. Songs that are designed for radio play. Kings of leon are probably a prime example that gets thrown around. I'm not too sure how much of their earlier stuff is different to the sex on fire crap, maybe it's the same, maybe it's completely different. But going on reports the bands image changed a bit and songs sounded like they were designed for radio.

They made themselves a shit load of money so you can't fault them for it. If you want to be successful you have to make that sort of music, 3 - 4 minutes in length with a basic beat and some sort of shitty chorus. Making it about heart break seems to be a winner too!
That's all well and good about Kings of Leon, but The Resistance had a 13 minute symphony piece and a whole smattering of differently styled songs.

Muse haven't really changed their style in any massive way, they've just become more popular. Sure they've developed over the years and have tried new things, but all bands do.

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
I'm finally out of Mexico in Red Dead and I'm just about done with this game. How much more do I have to labour through before the credits? I'm guessing I'm two-thirds there.

Mexico is the slowest part of the game and the best is yet to come
aka BEARS

Agyar

jambo said:

Commerical is a term used by people (hipsters) who derive enjoyment from being interested in media that other people aren't interested in (see niche, underground). Something be commerical denotes that enough people are interested in the media for it to turn a profit, which violates the aforementioned hipsters expectation that all artists be undiscovered and starving.

Gazunta

HolyCheck said:
I'd like to present a perfect example of a band being better before they were popular

Eskimo Joe

Bad - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVSGZEud00s
good - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1qEJCw8PZw
YES! Usually I'm against the whole 'selling out' argument, but these Eskimo Joe songs are the EXACT songs I always use to demonstrate how selling out can go wrong. Great minds, etc.

I did find it amusing how Triple M were calling Eskimo Joe a "new" band three or four years ago.

Gazunta

Bernbaum said:
I could never wear that swea-ter!
I could never wear that swea-ter!

Fuck it, who can forget this gem from one of Brissie's finest.
FUCK YES. I had that album on near-24 hour loop back in my 'efficiency apartment' days.

Just me, a computer, a room full of videogames, a stereo and daily deliveries of chinese takeaway, Coca-Cola and chocolate milk. I never left the house and gained 80 kilos. Good times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom