• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

I like the WoW levelling treadmill. When I reach 85 I'll probably train up my gathering professions then start farming, making money in WoW instead of the real world yay.

Fredescu

codswallop said:
I wonder why the hell hasn't anyone else had success with a game that goes straight to the good stuff instead of forcing you to spend months in a mindless grind?
Basically every non MMO?

senahorse

codswallop said:
I don't know much about WoW, but if you get access to special quests and separate instances for them etc once you hit the max level, I wonder why the hell hasn't anyone else had success with a game that goes straight to the good stuff instead of forcing you to spend months in a mindless grind?

WoW is an incredibly complex game at its core, the amount of detail it goes into is staggering. The point of leveling is to learn your character, learn the abilities, and get a feel for playing in a group. It's overwhelming enough as it is. Also, it doesn't take months to get to level a character, you can get there in a matter of weeks.

edit: I actually enjoyed leveling the first time, it's just the 2nd, 3rd (and so on) time you go through the same content it can get a bit monotonous. I haven't tried the 80-85 content yet, but I hear there are some great moments.

Kritz

Banned
Yeah, I know I hold a really weird stance with WoW, because I absolutely hate playing alone, but I find playing with other people the most amazing exercise in frustration.

By "people", I mean the idiotic plebs that communicate with a keyboard in the same way that a whale falling from space communicates with the ground.

Potplants aside, I simply don't have the time to invest for at least... another 24 hours. I'm sure once I'm unemployed my playtime will increase, and even then the marathon until level 85 seems hundreds of hours away. I get bored of games within the first 30 minutes, and it takes something really amazing such as TF2 to get me to come back. While I do occasionally feel like jumping back on and just doing 1-2 quests... I dunno.

Speaking of boring non-games, me and Orbi played some Minecraft last night. The game seems to be in a really nice stable state, despite Fred's inability to look at the ground without disconnecting. It'd be rad to try and spend more time playing this game.

Fredescu

I don't think it's that weird a stance Kritz. Solo leveling is boring, and pick ups are rarely good, but MMOs can be fun as hell when you spend all your time leveling with people you know. I leveled 1-60 in vanilla with a regular group going from dungeon to underused dungeon and it was awesome. It's not really something you can do casually though, which is annoying. If you move out of the level range of your friends it all goes to shit.

Fredescu

IT Estate have put a couple of GTX570s up. A Gigabyte (3 year warranty) for $409 and an MSI (2 year warranty) for $399. Cheaper than anything on static ice. They're not in stock, but that usually means they're about to get them in. Tempting.

Rezbit

Kritz you sound just like me in regards to WoW. I played it once and got to like level 30. But I found my friends who roped me in (and started new characters to play with me), just bolted ahead and did their own thing. So I'd run around, killing whatever creatures I could by myself. No randoms to really play with because everyone does their own thing. So I got bored and stopped playing. It's not that I really dislike the game, but the gameplay is not compelling enough to play it solo.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Don't worry Kritz. In a few days you will be a bum for ~4 months. Perfect for WoW time :D

I can certainly help you level if you want. I'm in no major rush to hit 85 but i've always been a fast leveler(sp/what?) so i'm used to just going from quest to quest to quest. You are 20 levels behind though so that could take a while :lol

So far for me it's been about ~1hr a level. So it's not too bad at all. When you hit outlands and northrend then it will slow down a decent amount :/

Bernbaum

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Same in Brisbane. It's like a robopocalypse... where the robots are made from water.
I collapse in bed, have a nice hallucinogenic fever dream involving all sorts of repulsiveness, and wake up to the apocalypse.

*climbs back into bed*

Rezbit

legend166 said:
Not one of your best, Choc.

Don't worry, Smith will score a 150 and save the day with Hussey.

Shoosh you'll ruin it!

Just randomly, I hired PES2011 on Wii, and you know what it made me realise? I don't want to play a realistic version of soccer. I want to be able to score 15 goals. Back to Mario Strikers (on easy).

Kritz

Banned
Another school down, another wave of goodbyes, cards, etc. One more to go.

It's too bad we handed out all the ipads. I wanted to get into some hijinx with them.

Will be no students at work tomorrow, and generally student free days = staff free days. Which means nothing to do. Which means... well. Pinning dead ethernet cables to the wall to spell out "the cake is a lie".

Fredescu said:
Basically every non MMO?
Touche. I was talking about MMOs though. I think the D&D one was mostly instance-based which sounded fantastic to me. But as usual, it flopped.

Also: Someone telling me just now that at midday (!) tomorrow I need to perform a two-hour database migration because they didn't plan at all and another service is being shut off is not good. Plus I'll be in meetings all day tomorrow. Going to be an interesting day!

legend166

Rezbit said:
Shoosh you'll ruin it!

Just randomly, I hired PES2011 on Wii, and you know what it made me realise? I don't want to play a realistic version of soccer. I want to be able to score 15 goals. Back to Mario Strikers (on easy).

PES Wii is probably the most innovative sports game in the last 10 years. It's a pity no one pays attention to it because it's on the Wii.

How long have you played it? Once you get used to the controls it's so amazing. And the Champion's Road mode is really addictive. Basically, at the end of a match you're presented with a collection of cards representing the opposition that have short descriptions on them. You don't know which card represents which player. You get to choose a number of those cards and they're added to your team. There's also this whole RPG element where players earn experience and you get to choose specialties for them. I probably put 100 hours combined into that mode on PES 08 and 09.

Rezbit

legend166 said:
PES Wii is probably the most innovative sports game in the last 10 years. It's a pity no one pays attention to it because it's on the Wii.

How long have you played it? Once you get used to the controls it's so amazing. And the Champion's Road mode is really addictive. Basically, at the end of a match you're presented with a collection of cards representing the opposition that have short descriptions on them. You don't know which card represents which player. You get to choose a number of those cards and they're added to your team. There's also this whole RPG element where players earn experience and you get to choose specialties for them. I probably put 100 hours combined into that mode on PES 08 and 09.

Only a couple of days. Yeah the controls are pretty awesome. The pointer seems really accurate too. Haven't played Champion's Road, just trying to get through one regular season of Master League. Probably why I'm getting annoyed, my team is only rated like 1 and a half stars :lol

Aaaaand Smith out for 7. Good one legend! >:|

BSS

x3n05 said:
AusGAF WoW is a bit of a failure unfortunately, anyone know of an aussie casual guild on Cael that we can move to?

Coincidentally, the last remnants of the guild that Mar, Agyar, Giri and I were in currently play on Caelestrasz Horde. They're called Cool Whip. I dunno what their casual status would be these days, but there's a number of aussies there.

legend166

Rezbit said:
Only a couple of days. Yeah the controls are pretty awesome. The pointer seems really accurate too. Haven't played Champion's Road, just trying to get through one regular season of Master League. Probably why I'm getting annoyed, my team is only rated like 1 and a half stars :lol

Aaaaand Smith out for 7. Good one legend! >:|

Funnily enough, I've never played Master League. I just played Champion's Road the whole time.

Agyar

BSS said:
Coincidentally, the last remnants of the guild that Mar, Agyar, Giri and I were in currently play on Caelestrasz Horde. They're called Cool Whip. I dunno what their casual status would be these days, but there's a number of aussies there.

Does anyone still actually play
, are the Officers still called Orificers, do they still worship flamingos
?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bob Brown:

Andrew Bolt’s call for the PM’s resignation while bodies were still in the ocean lacked human decency. He should resign http://bit.ly/fT70UB

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Well that was fun. We had nothing but thunder and lightning for 2 hours. Then I have to drive some places for work and the storm finally decides to hit properly. Main roads without traffic lights aren't fun.

Clipper

We apparently caught the good end of the storm here in the Eastern Suburbs. It was no more than a sun-shower with distant lightning. Pity about the rest of you...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fredescu said:
They are now. Trigger pulled :eek:
Freeeeed!!

This guy on the train has two wheelie bins for some reason. No one seems to care either :lol. Looks like he is storing stuff in it, crazy yet awesome.

jambo

Gotta love EA App Store sales

BYwsm.jpg

rass

I'm dling Ubuntu to try out. I don't even know why, I think it's because Blender is so damn badass and now I want open source everything haha. Any tips for someone new to linux? Surely some of you use it. I'll be running it from a cd until I can get another hdd to install it to

Fap - my english teacher in year 9/10 loved getting us to tear his articles apart haha, maybe he's on the education board's payroll :lol

Ventron

rass said:
I'm dling Ubuntu to try out. I don't even know why, I think it's because Blender is so damn badass and now I want open source everything haha. Any tips for someone new to linux? Surely some of you use it. I'll be running it from a cd until I can get another hdd to install it to

Ubuntu is great. I used it full-time until I got my new computer which I do game development on, which needs Windows :(

My only tip is: it's not like Windows. Don't expect it to be. So many people complain that Linux is hard to use, when in reality they're complaining that it doesn't act like Windows or run Windows programs. I find Ubuntu more enjoyable to use than Windows.

Rezbit said:
Shoosh you'll ruin it!

Fully agree. After playing FIFA 09/10 and the 11 demo, I do not want to play anymore realistic bullshit. Gimme sum Tiny Toons Allstars shit yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom