• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
rass said:
When I was in NZ my longest lens was a 135/2 but I would have loved a 300. Now I have a preferred lens for everything, 50mm 1.8
also my only lens :(
a 70-300 would be awesome
so awesome
but I draw more than I take photos at the moment so it could be a looong time before I buy anything.

fair enough! We were on a teeny budget but we had some shit handed to us - free car, free accomm for a week - so that helped. Where are you heading after this?

Ended up booking the tour :lol and went to that old house from the 1900's and the art gallery today!

going on the tour tomorrow night. here til friday arvo, then bussing back to queenstown for one night then saturday morning a friends picking me up with her family and we're going to arrowstown + a few other places, staying at her place then sunday driving out to milford sounds where i'm camping for the next 12 days

Clipper

Danoss said:
So, I popped on The Backloggery to update my status and came across this dude playing VVVVVV.

He's trying to navigate, through this brutal maze. It's mesmerising to watch the repeated deaths. The poor bugger got just above the purple orb and hit the spikes.

Do you have to be totally Zen to play this game?
There are two trinkets (with this being one of them) that are really difficult like that. I spent a long time and many, many deaths on that one myself. However, they aren't required to beat the game. They're just bonus collectibles that take the game mechanics to an extreme. The other trinkets aren't nearly as hard as this one and the other really tough one, though, and the main game is another step down again, but still on the brutal side of things.

rass

HolyCheck said:
Ended up booking the tour :lol and went to that old house from the 1900's and the art gallery today!

going on the tour tomorrow night. here til friday arvo, then bussing back to queenstown for one night then saturday morning a friends picking me up with her family and we're going to arrowstown + a few other places, staying at her place then sunday driving out to milford sounds where i'm camping for the next 12 days
sounds great! I hope you like the tour, if not then I'll send you a sweet drawing of a high five to make up for it. Arrowtown is nice, a bit like sovereign hill but free to get into. Comes to life in Autumn. Milford Sound is an incredible place, I'm pretty jealous - we only did a day trip/cruise (5 hours on the bus each way yeeeaaaahhhh!!!!)

Danoss said:
He's trying to navigate, through this brutal maze. It's mesmerising to watch the repeated deaths. The poor bugger got just above the purple orb and hit the spikes.

Do you have to be totally Zen to play this game?

That's well and truly the hardest part of the game, right there. Having said that, a SMB-like mentality of expecting to die would serve you well. I never really got annoyed about dying in VVVVVV, as sections like that one are pretty much comically hard.

Choc

Banned
can the mass media just fuck off honestly

doctors warn that Microsoft's Kinect controller may spell the start of a new generation of gaming injuries.

Collisions, sprains, ruptured ligaments and even broken bones now seem as likely to occur in the home as on the sports field for the 8 million people who have bought the new Kinect Xbox 360 controller since its release late last year.

same with playing sport......, even more so really.

Dr Ian Gillam, an exercise physiologist with Exercise & Sports Science Australia, said that, for any form of exercise program, players should consult medical guidelines.

"From what I understand, game consoles don't provide guidance on who may be vulnerable to injury or how long players should warm up prior to playing the game.

true, true i'll pay that

"The normal advice we give people over the age of 40 is, if they are planning to do vigorous activity, they should have a medical exam to ensure there are no underlying cardiac or respiratory conditions. We would want to make sure they don't have cardiac conditions and are not grossly obese. We would never recommend certain activities such as jogging or jumping if they were overweight, owing to the risk of lower limb injuries from landing heavily on legs and the trunk area."

Nikki Harding, a 35-year-old US woman learnt about the risks of Kinect gaming the hard way. While playing a track and field game in her living room, she landed badly on her foot and broke it.

"I've made it 35 years without ever breaking anything ... I just came down wrong on my foot and it snapped," she told KKTV in Colorado.

just like you could have playing soccer, netball, hockey, you name it!

Dr Gillam said that, aside from collisions, the most common injuries to expect would be muscle strain injuries such as a torn hamstring or, for the over 40s, an Achilles tendon rupture - commonly associated with playing squash. He said lower back injuries might also result from any lunging, jumping or twisting activities.

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-li...-kinect-xbox-injury-alert-20110118-19umx.html

ok there is SOME valid points in there, but seriously, sports have the same issue................

i can see video game companies getting sued if they don't provide warm ups etc or at least information.

Choc

Banned
its actually pretty easy to do as a female

before people shit all over me its a well known medical fact that females knees and ankles are weaker then men. They don't know why yet but there is about 30% more Anterior Cruciate Ligament tears in female sports than mens

I've seen many a woman when refereeing soccer jump for a header, land awkwardly and break her ankle.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
can the mass media just fuck off honestly

doctors warn that Microsoft's Kinect controller may spell the start of a new generation of gaming injuries.

Collisions, sprains, ruptured ligaments and even broken bones now seem as likely to occur in the home as on the sports field for the 8 million people who have bought the new Kinect Xbox 360 controller since its release late last year.

same with playing sport......, even more so really.

Dr Ian Gillam, an exercise physiologist with Exercise & Sports Science Australia, said that, for any form of exercise program, players should consult medical guidelines.

"From what I understand, game consoles don't provide guidance on who may be vulnerable to injury or how long players should warm up prior to playing the game.

true, true i'll pay that

"The normal advice we give people over the age of 40 is, if they are planning to do vigorous activity, they should have a medical exam to ensure there are no underlying cardiac or respiratory conditions. We would want to make sure they don't have cardiac conditions and are not grossly obese. We would never recommend certain activities such as jogging or jumping if they were overweight, owing to the risk of lower limb injuries from landing heavily on legs and the trunk area."

Nikki Harding, a 35-year-old US woman learnt about the risks of Kinect gaming the hard way. While playing a track and field game in her living room, she landed badly on her foot and broke it.

"I've made it 35 years without ever breaking anything ... I just came down wrong on my foot and it snapped," she told KKTV in Colorado.

just like you could have playing soccer, netball, hockey, you name it!

Dr Gillam said that, aside from collisions, the most common injuries to expect would be muscle strain injuries such as a torn hamstring or, for the over 40s, an Achilles tendon rupture - commonly associated with playing squash. He said lower back injuries might also result from any lunging, jumping or twisting activities.

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-li...-kinect-xbox-injury-alert-20110118-19umx.html

ok there is SOME valid points in there, but seriously, sports have the same issue................

i can see video game companies getting sued if they don't provide warm ups etc or at least information.

I was just about to write up a big ranty post about this on Kotaku. The way this has been reported is winding me up big time.

Nemesis_

codswallop said:
I'd say it's the landing more than the jumping.

Yeah I realise that, I suppose I just didn't ever foresee an event where you could jump and land in a manner where you would break something.

the%20more%20you%20know.jpg

Frawdder

Surprise development: Moving around and physical activity may result in soreness or injury.

Do people really need to be told, I don't see massive warnings on basketballs and footballs that tell people it's a contact sport and you might hurt yourself. Idiots!

Gazunta

Basketballs and footballs were around 50 years ago.

Things that are less than 50 years old are SCARY and DANGEROUS.

lol newspapers

PS: Rass wins the entertain me award

rass

Gazunta said:
Basketballs and footballs were around 50 years ago.

Things that are less than 50 years old are SCARY and DANGEROUS.

lol newspapers

PS: Rass wins the entertain me award
I also won the 'ruin my own productivity' award, stupid tvtropes.

Dead Man

Video games lead to a sedentary life = BAD
Video games may lead to injury from activity = BAD

rass said:
I also won the 'ruin my own productivity' award, stupid tvtropes.
Yeah, I can't go there any more.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
talk about an over-reaction to a pretty vanilla, if kind of pointless, article

it's warning the young and the over 40s that suddenly exercising without stretching might hurt you. I don't see an demonizing or fist-shaking in there. It's just a PSA. Dr Gillam doesn't even mention the Kinect specifically, only citing any amount of physical-exertion without prior warning (like, say, a treadmill).

MrSerrels

Rez said:

it's warning the young and the over 40s that suddenly exercising without stretching might hurt you. I don't see an demonizing or fist-shaking in there. It's just a PSA. Dr Gillam doesn't even mention the Kinect specifically, only citing any amount of physical-exertion without prior warning (like, say, a treadmill).

That's not the point though - the headline mentions Kinect. The headline says: Gamer Danger: Kinect Injury Alert.

It's bullshit scare mongering, and it's almost comical.

Bernbaum

Rez said:

The chief goal of a newspaper company is sell newspapers, not to provide news. There are journalists whose entire job is built around drafting column upon column of ‘filler’ content, the black and white mushy stuff that pads out the space between the Harvery Norman and Toyota ads. The people paid to write up the daily quota of tripe will do so regardless of the relevance of the content and the passion of the author’s true interests.

A lot of people grow oblivious to that fact – readers, editors and journalists alike. It is therefore necessary to ocassionally remind those responsible that we’re onto their bullshit, such that the whole situation doesn’t get completely out of control.

ErinMarcon

Neo Member
I've written a 10 part roundup of 40 original games (new IPs) due to arrive in 2011. I'm most looking forward to L.A. Noire, The Last Guardian and From Dust. What about you guys?

Cohsae

legend166 said:
What's harder, VVVVVV or Super Meat Boy?
Super Meat Boy definitely.
The only part of VVVVVV that leads to hair-pulling is the whole "Doing Things the Hard Way" section, the rest isn't really that bad.
Super Meat Boy gets hard in like chapter 3 or 4. Then it gets harder. And harder. And then there's Cotton Alley. And then there's Dark World versions of every level. And there's bandages.
And then you can try to unlock the Guy from IWBTG. (Or maybe he's called the Kid I can't remember)

Shaneus

Craig Ferguson is on 11 tonight! Fuckin' YEAH.

PS. Any idea on my framerate issue? Vsync is locking down the framerate on my PC to 50fps even though I'm running at 60hz. It's pissing me off royally because there's nothing obvious that I should change and all my games just look a bit off.

ARGH.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Sure you just haven't set it to 50?

Right click on desktop > screen resolution > advanced settings > monitor > refresh rate?

I know you changed it in CCC but double check windows.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MrSerrels said:
That's not the point though - the headline mentions Kinect. The headline says: Gamer Danger: Kinect Injury Alert.

It's bullshit scare mongering, and it's almost comical.
I don't understand, are they telling people not to use this? I didn't read that at all. All I read with "remember ladies and gentlemen, if you're unfit then you may hurt yourself" not "VIDEO GAMES CAUSE PREMATURE DEATH, BROKEN ARMS. THIS MUST BE TAKEN OFF THE MARKET."

Use language as appropriately and fairly as you expect language to be used toward yourself. That article wasn't scare-mongering, it was just mindless page-filler. Lay down your arms and pick your battles.

Bernbaum said:
The chief goal of a newspaper company is sell newspapers, not to provide news. There are journalists whose entire job is built around drafting column upon column of ‘filler’ content, the black and white mushy stuff that pads out the space between the Harvery Norman and Toyota ads. The people paid to write up the daily quota of tripe will do so regardless of the relevance of the content and the passion of the author’s true interests.

A lot of people grow oblivious to that fact – readers, editors and journalists alike. It is therefore necessary to ocassionally remind those responsible that we’re onto their bullshit, such that the whole situation doesn’t get completely out of control.
I don't disagree. It's a couple hundred words that say nothing. That's offensive -- well -- even that's harsh language. It's lazy. Outrage inspiring? Nah. Eye-roll inspiring, for anyone, gamer or otherwise? Yeah.

Shaneus

evlcookie said:
Sure you just haven't set it to 50?

Right click on desktop > screen resolution > advanced settings > monitor > refresh rate?

I know you changed it in CCC but double check windows.
Yeah, Windows is showing it as 60, as is the OSD on the monitor itself.

Maybe I can't get the FPS to match the screen, I have to get the screen to match the FPS by pulling it back. Sore eyes for sure, but at least it won't be jerky :(

Cohsae said:
Super Meat Boy definitely.
The only part of VVVVVV that leads to hair-pulling is the whole "Doing Things the Hard Way" section, the rest isn't really that bad.
Super Meat Boy gets hard in like chapter 3 or 4. Then it gets harder. And harder. And then there's Cotton Alley. And then there's Dark World versions of every level. And there's bandages.
And then you can try to unlock the Guy from IWBTG. (Or maybe he's called the Kid I can't remember)

Unlocking the Kid isn't hard, per se. I got him after only a day or so of trying. You should've been in steam chat when I was attempting that.

rass

Megadrive said:
Unlocking the Kid isn't hard, per se. I got him after only a day or so of trying. You should've been in steam chat when I was attempting that.
you should have been within earshot of me when I was trying that :/
3 hours non stop, had to have a break when I finally unlocked him because my wrists felt broken. Need to get a gamepad.

I found the glitch levels harder tbh, I still haven't done all of them. I've got A+ on the entire cotton alley dark world though (and dark world "the end"), hot damn there is some frustrating shit in there. 7 bandages to go, all in Rapture, I can't get close to any of them :/

I need some opinions, AusGAF.

So I'm playing ME2 on 360, and loving it. I had previously played it on PC but I am really enjoying the whole comfy couch thing. Once finished with ME2 I want to do a play through of my copy of Dragon Age again (PC version), this time with all the DLC (which I will have to buy, I only have a couple of them).

However my enjoyment of ME2 on the 360 has made me wonder whether or not I should pick up the Ultimate Edition of DA on 360 and give it a whirl.

I realise they are completely different games and I know the PC version of DA is regarded as the best due to its controls etc. And I have a PC version of DAII preordered. But I've gotten used to kicking back on the couch for my RPGs of late, and would kinda like to play DA in the same way.

Has anyone here played both versions? Am I crazy to go back to a 360 copy? I honestly don't care so much about having the ideal experience, I just want to play through the story and have me some Morrigan.

Mar

Rez said:

Agreed. Typical Choc over reaction to something that's entirely banal.

MrSerrels

Use language as appropriately and fairly as you expect language to be used toward yourself. That article wasn't scare-mongering, it was just mindless page-filler. Lay down your arms and pick your battles.

I don't know if you read what I wrote - but I didn't go in guns-a-blazing for that specific reason - all I did was take the piss out of it. And it deserved to have the piss taken out of it. Because it was stupid mindless click bait preying on old people's fear of the new.

ErinMarcon said:
I've written a 10 part roundup of 40 original games (new IPs) due to arrive in 2011.
Needs a "next" button instead of forcing me to click on tiny numbers. Even worse, it doesn't tell me which page I'm on, so I have to look at the address bar.

It's enough to take someone out of an article midway to bitch about it on a web forum.

BanShunsaku said:
I am really enjoying the whole comfy couch thing.

This is the reason I almost never play PC games any more.

Clipper

I can't wait for today's 3DS news. Hopefully the Amazon pre-orders open up and I can get in fast on them (likely shipping to my hopshopgo address or to a friend in the States to ship to me). Given that it's been announced the 3DS will support DSi charge cables, there's no further barriers to my importation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom