• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Clipper said:
And yes, it does mean importing every game, but they will be cheapest there too, and you don't have to wait the weeks or months they typically take to translate to all the European languages.
Aren't they likely to disable exporting to Australia for the games also?

Clipper

Danoss said:
Aren't they likely to disable exporting to Australia for the games also?
Amazon ships most DS games to Australia, they only seem to block the Nintendo-published ones (I think by Nintendo's request). There are plenty of other import sites, like Play-Asia and YesAsia, where you can get decent prices on any US game, though.

Nemesis_

AdventureRacing said:
Well i haven't heard of that happening anywhere. That is disgusting but i think it's a very isolated issue.

It just doesn't make sense really. What do you think would look worse? Charging an indigenous person with rape when they have evidence? Or just ignoring the fact that someone was raped because of potential claims of racism?

Same as the other incident. If it's true then it's incredibly stupid by the police in so many ways.

I don't deny it's isolated, but it's not the only time it happens - another incident from someone else I knew - she accidently rear-ended a car during an intense traffic jam or something. Some aboriginals got out of the car, dragged her out and smacker her head against her window.

The police claimed both times that the perpetrators would be untouchable because it would be miscontrued as an act of racism. It's a bit ridiculous how bad it's getting.

Amazon ships most DS games to Australia, they only seem to block the Nintendo-published ones (I think by Nintendo's request). There are plenty of other import sites, like Play-Asia and YesAsia, where you can get decent prices on any US game, though.

I'd love to import a console but at the moment it just seems so unviable. For some reason though I'm expecting us to get the 3DS a day before Europe, since it falls on the typical Thursday that I'm fairly certain the DSi and DSi XL launched on too.

If I had a US Unit I'd have to buy all games from the US, but the UK route would let me buy locally and overseas for more obscure titles (if they ever get made).

Deeku

Nemesis556 said:
I'd love to import a console but at the moment it just seems so unviable. For some reason though I'm expecting us to get the 3DS a day before Europe, since it falls on the typical Thursday that I'm fairly certain the DSi and DSi XL launched on too.

If I had a US Unit I'd have to buy all games from the US, but the UK route would let me buy locally and overseas for more obscure titles (if they ever get made).
Yeah, buying local seems to be the most reasonable route. For me it's the convenience of being able to walk into a shop and buy a game, or hop on zavvi etc for a better deal if I choose to. I really don't want to have to buy every game online and wait for it to come, even if it's cheaper.

But yeah, if some random ass rpg (probably from Atlus) comes out in the US, I will import an extra unit.

Fuck, it's 3am and I still want to watch another episode of The Wire. Just started yesterday, sooo good!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
$250 for the 3DS in the US isn't too bad at all, Even made me question the idea of getting one and i can't stand handheld gaming.

Clipper

From what I'm hearing, Euro prices are pretty screwed right now. The cheapest my UK friend can find in quick searches of his typical haunts is £195 with most advertising at £220-30. £195 is about AU$310, so cheaper than our prospected price of AU$400, but still quite a rip off compared to the AU$250 from the US. The UK prices are more than the launch price of the Wii apparently, which is pretty lame given Nintendo's pricing elsewhere. I guess this is what happens when you decide to just leave the price up to retailers.

Darklord

Banned
Clipper said:
From what I'm hearing, Euro prices are pretty screwed right now. The cheapest my UK friend can find in quick searches of his typical haunts is £195 with most advertising at £220-30. £195 is about AU$310, so cheaper than our prospected price of AU$400, but still quite a rip off compared to the AU$250 from the US. The UK prices are more than the launch price of the Wii apparently, which is pretty lame given Nintendo's pricing elsewhere. I guess this is what happens when you decide to just leave the price up to retailers.

Pathetic pricing. I'm not paying $350-$400 for a handheld. No way. I'll import from the US later on. What's that US site that orders an item for you, they collect it then posts it overseas for you so you can order from places like Amazon?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't find the price to be all that insane to be honest. There's no difference between that and anything new Apple bring out. You're getting the first version of what can be seen as premium tech, so it's going to have a premium price on it. Now i'm not talking about imacs and macbooks from apple, that shit is always behind in tech but you're iPod touches, iPhones and iPads all come with a hefty price tag and no one seemed to bitch too much about it.

If you're happy to play old ass games remade in 3D for $250+ then good for you. You at least know what you're buying into.

Clipper

Darklord said:
Pathetic pricing. I'm not paying $350-$400 for a handheld. No way. I'll import from the US later on. What's that US site that orders an item for you, they collect it then posts it overseas for you so you can order from places like Amazon?
HopShopGo.com is the one I use (but I only used it twice so far). It's affiliated with Paypal (you use your Paypal ID to log in) so that goes a long way in the trust department. For Amazon, you don't even need to get them to order for you and can order it yourself, just using the address they give you to ship the package to.

And who knows? Maybe Amazon shipping the 3DS to Australia isn't a mistake after all and it will remain that way.

evlcookie said:
I don't find the price to be all that insane to be honest. There's no difference between that and anything new Apple bring out. You're getting the first version of what can be seen as premium tech, so it's going to have a premium price on it. Now i'm not talking about imacs and macbooks from apple, that shit is always behind in tech but you're iPod touches, iPhones and iPads all come with a hefty price tag and no one seemed to bitch too much about it.

If you're happy to play old ass games remade in 3D for $250+ then good for you. You at least know what you're buying into.
I don't think Darklord was complaining about the US price. Just the Euro/Australian one.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Clipper said:
I don't think Darklord was complaining about the US price. Just the Euro/Australian one.

It wasn't directed at Darklord, I think it was just a general statement. I'm sure there are people bitching in the official US price thread about it being too expensive as well.

I know our price is going to be around $400. iPads are around $630 with touches being just under $300, So it's not that batshit insane of a price in todays current market considering you are getting what is seen as the first 3D handheld gaming device for mass market.

Fuck, I'm defending nintendo and their price on new tech. The hell is wrong with me?

Choc

Banned
its going to be 399 guys

UK price is 365 AUD

and we are driven by Nintendo Europe, Australia has confirmed

What a fucking joke

especially if as rumored the games will be 75-80 AUD RRP

HOWEVER you must remember the UK now has 20% VAT (GST) this could be a big factor hmmmmm

minus VAT its 184 pounds (rounded), that is 294 plus GST of 29.40 for Australia

approximately 325

hmmmmmmm

Choc

Banned
also FWIW i've had it confirmed to me that 3DS regioning is publisher specific like 360

if they want to do it they can

Konami is first out of the gate to confirm PES will be locked

fuckers

hamchan

I'm gonna be importing a system from the US probably and just import US games forever. $400 Australian is a ridiculous price.

Choc

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
3DS is launching at the same price in the US as the Wii did.

Wii launched at $400 here, therefore....

fucking ridiculous

one is a handheld one is a tv based console

nintendo are screwing themselves over on this one

ipod touch, USA $229

thousands more games :p

pilonv1

I think I said $400 when it was announced. Can't search so I couldn't be bothered finding it.

I think the pricing of game software will be much more interesting, will they go to $79.95 for first party? Or $89.95?

Choc said:
fucking ridiculous

one is a handheld one is a tv based console

nintendo are screwing themselves over on this one
Sad part is that the price is probably right from a business perspective.

Choc said:
ipod touch, USA $229

thousands more games :p
None of them as good as Ouendan, though :'(

hamchan said:
I would love it if Sony announces the PSP2 will be $200.
It's nice to want things.

legend166

Choc said:
also FWIW i've had it confirmed to me that 3DS regioning is publisher specific like 360

if they want to do it they can

Konami is first out of the gate to confirm PES will be locked

fuckers

Interesting.

I'm going to assume all Nintendo games will be region locked, since they are the ones who implemented it.

I might import a US one. I mean, $270 shipped from Amazon, or what looks like $400?

Clipper, you said something about the DSi charge cable being compatible? Does that mean the Australian one?

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
Interesting.

I'm going to assume all Nintendo games will be region locked, since they are the ones who implemented it.

I might import a US one. I mean, $270 shipped from Amazon, or what looks like $400?

Clipper, you said something about the DSi charge cable being compatible? Does that mean the Australian one?

i believe the AU charger for DSi works yes

you got killzone on my 3DS LOL

merc2-1295450710.jpg

legend166 said:
The plugs on all DSis are the same.

All the DSi charge cable does is supply ~12V DC from Aussie 230V AC @50Hz, so it'll work with the 3DS as well, even if it's from the US.

legend166

viciouskillersquirrel said:
The plugs on all DSis are the same.

All the DSi charge cable does is supply ~12V DC from Aussie 230V AC @50Hz, so it'll work with the 3DS as well, even if it's from the US.

Good to hear.

Also, choc, are we allowed to say what you do? Haha.

I've been quite cryptic in that 3DS region lock thread on Gaming just in case.

Deeku

Ok, I just pre-ordered at amazon just in case I change my mind on buying locally. For some reason I keep worrying about the warranty when I've never worried about it for my other import consoles...

legend166 said:
Also, choc, are we allowed to say what you do? Haha.

Oh oh, what does he do?

Clipper

legend166 said:
Interesting.

The only thing that I am wary about here is that there is only one source I've seen so far to confirm this. It was mentioned by andriasang, which is a site I trust. The only reason I might doubt it is the whole dock thing, as I thought it didn't have a charge port any more due to the dock. If there are any videos out there exploring the ports of the 3DS at last night's shows, I'd love to see them to get further confirmation.

Oh, I just checked the article and realised they had a source from Nintendo's own information:

img_set03.jpg

SO it seems the dock might take a DSi input or something, which makes things perfect and explains away my doubts. It's confirmed in my mind that any DSi cable that works in Australia will be enough to charge the 3DS.

Clipper

bigjimmystyle said:
Wil many of you go for the US 3DS and import games or buy locally? Will the Aussie 3DS be able to play games from the UK?
If you import from the US, you should assume that you will be buying all your games from there too. The 3DS is region locked, so Aussie games probably won't work unless the developer decides to make them region free.

And yes, the Aussie 3DS should play UK games and vice versa. We are the same region.

Nemesis_

legend166 said:
Interesting.

Microsoft's latest releases are region free. Just sayin'

Bernbaum

bigjimmystyle said:
Wil many of you go for the US 3DS and import games or buy locally? Will the Aussie 3DS be able to play games from the UK?
USA! USA!

Although chances are good I'll end up with a local one as well...

And the inevitable hardware refresh...

And a Mario one if they make a Mario one...

jambo

I'm not sure if I'll buy one in Aus or import from USA.

USA means importing all games.

If DS games work regardless of region then I might import one and then just import 3DS games and buy DS games locally.

Nemesis556 said:
What has Microsoft got to do with a Nintendo handheld that was announced to be region locked?

ShyGuy

Nemesis556 said:
That doesn't mean much.

I bought a copy of Battlefield Bad Company 2 from USA (yes I know it's not "by" Microsoft) and it wasn't region-free. (despite seeing it on a compatibility list somewhere, I guess that was wrong)

Anyway, I bought it for US$30 and the point is that's a LOT cheaper than buying locally "on sale" here for AU$69 ($99 RRP).

I'm always going to import from USA for as long as the games are released earlier and are priced cheaper - which pretty much means forever.

Nemesis_

Because Legend mentioned that Nintendo would probably region lock because they were the ones who implemented the system? Can't you see the parallels?

I bought a copy of Battlefield Bad Company 2 from USA (yes I know it's not "by" Microsoft) and it wasn't region-free. (despite seeing it on a compatibility list somewhere, I guess that was wrong)

As far as I'm aware now, EA seem to be the only publisher that locks some/all of their titles for Xbox 360 overseas. I have no idea why but, well, they do. I anticipate games with licensing issues will also be locked (Marvel vs Capcom 3 is an example).

Fredescu

jambo said:
What has Microsoft got to do with a Nintendo handheld that was announced to be region locked?
Choc says the region protection on 3DS games is at the discretion of the publisher. The region protection on 360 games is at the discretion of the publisher. Legend says Nintendo will probably region lock their own games since it's their system. Microsoft do not region lock their games on their system. All caught up now?

I'd say it's pretty likely though, since Microsoft's localisation is excellent and Nintendo's localisation is shocking.

Bernbaum

So we're fast approaching 10,000 posts in this here newly refurbished clubhouse. If any of youse cunts want a banner made up, I'll see what I can do, otherwise I couldn't be arsed.

Clipper

jambo said:
I'm not sure if I'll buy one in Aus or import from USA.

USA means importing all games.

If DS games work regardless of region then I might import one and then just import 3DS games and buy DS games locally.

Yes, DS games will work on the 3DS regardless of region. DSi-enhanced games will not. There aren't that many compelling DSi-enhanced games. The only one anybody seems to care about is Pokémon Black/White.

Bernbaum said:
So we're fast approaching 10,000 posts in this here newly refurbished clubhouse. If any of youse cunts want a banner made up, I'll see what I can do, otherwise I couldn't be arsed.
Yeah, a banner would be awesome. Only suggestion I can make is that it MUST feature parity to some degree. And something better than my poor attempts from when we first got there:
bills.png

washroo.jpg

ratings.png

jambo

viciouskillersquirrel, I'm pretty sure the DSi is region locked for DSi carts lol

Fredescu said:
Choc says the region protection on 3DS games is at the discretion of the publisher. The region protection on 360 games is at the discretion of the publisher. Legend says Nintendo will probably region lock their own games since it's their system. Microsoft do not region lock their games on their system. All caught up now?
I suppose, but with most of the good starter 3DS games being N 1st party it will suck.

Fredescu

Bernbaum said:
So you're saying being asked to make a banner will motivate you to make it when you otherwise weren't? If so, please make a banner Bern! Please.

jambo

Clipper said:
Yes, DS games will work on the 3DS regardless of region. DSi-enhanced games will not. There aren't that many compelling DSi-enhanced games. The only one anybody seems to care about is Pokémon Black/White.
Sweet. I might import a US one then, save some dosh, then just import the region coded 3DS games and buy everything else locally.

Is there only Blue on Amazon? I want Black =[

Clipper

jambo said:
Sweet. I might import a US one then, save some dosh, then just import the region coded 3DS games and buy everything else locally.

Is there only Blue on Amazon? I want Black =[
Black is on Amazon now. Search for 3DS Black.

Edit: Wait a minute, it's gone again. ANd they changed Blue to Aqua Blue. I expect it will be back any second...

Choc

Banned
nintendo will lock all their games

they have already started to do it with DSi enabled titles

VKS why do yo ufeel justified buying a DSi now, just wondering

Shaneus

Clipper said:
Yeah, a banner would be awesome. Only suggestion I can make is that it MUST feature parity to some degree. And something better than my poor attempts from when we first got there:
bills.png
Change it so it says "Parity = Party" maybe? I'm spending way more money on gaming overseas than I am here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom