• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Steam does not want to cooperate tonight. Whenever I pause a game update the whole thing freezes and I have to terminate the process.

=\

Cohsae

On the one hand, having a sponsored thread where you essentially can't voice your criticisms is counter to the independence that helps make GAF great.
On the other hand, it's quite easy to not click on that thread.

Gazunta

Mar said:
Gaz, you have a high score in Minotaur Rescue. Who knew you could play games as well!
Not me mate, I was struggling to crack two million even while hooped up on chocolate milk. Then one night - while in the middle of a chronic stomach bug - 9 million just rolled around like it was nothing. I haven't played the game since, there's no way I'll ever do that well again :)

Come to think of it, every time I get tonsillitis I crave playing Donkey Kong 64. It's a really average game, but when I'm sick I just love playing it. What the hell?

Oh by the way - in all seriousness - Stacking is fucking amazing. Buy it. I am so smitten with it you have no idea. It's the Ricki Lee Coulter of video games.

Ydahs

Brother sat on and killed my laptop's backlight. This was a graduation gift and all my bloody website's files are stored on it :(

I'm opening this shit up. I'll repair it myself.

rass

Ydahs said:
Brother sat on and killed my laptop's backlight. This was a graduation gift and all my bloody website's files are stored on it :(

I'm opening this shit up. I'll repair it myself.
mac? Boot it up as a target disk and copy your files onto something else first.
windows? Is there an option to turn it on as an external HDD?

also, that sucks.

Ydahs

rass said:
mac? Boot it up as a target disk and copy your files onto something else first.
windows? Is there an option to turn it on as an external HDD?

also, that sucks.
Windows. It has this SATA plug thing which might be for the HDD?

The casing already off. I think it's the backlight considering I see very very faint colours, mainly white.

Checked the model number on the LCD screen and it's selling for $300-$500 on eBay, so that's a relief it's still working. A backlight replacement is only $10.

edit: does anyone know of any places in Melbourne that will do back light replacement or laptop repair in general? Read guides online and it's a too delicate process to fiddle with on my own.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What model is the laptop? And where did you find the replacement backlight at? It could still be under warranty so you might be able to get it repaired for nothing from dell/acer/whoever they are.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Can anyone recommend any games from the large publisher sale on iTunes?

While i don't play handheld gaming all that much i guess spending a few bucks to check some stuff out isn't too much to ask. iPhone 3GS here.

legend166

Choc said:
prices of concerts these days are fucking ridiculous

They haven't gone down at all with the dollar, which is so stupid. American performers are getting tonnes more now than they used to. And they used to get a lot before.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
They haven't gone down at all with the dollar, which is so stupid. American performers are getting tonnes more now than they used to. And they used to get a lot before.

wait WHAT, getting more?

hang on

if the concert is $99 AUD and the USD is worth 60c, the concert promoter/act gets more money through conversion

if its 99 and parity, they get 99

i believe the bands are probably still charging the same rate they do but hte promoters to retain profit have to raise prices due to parity

Gazunta

So who wants to bet something like this happens in the Interactive Awards thingy later today
2011-02-11-Reviewer-10.gif

Ydahs

evlcookie said:
What model is the laptop? And where did you find the replacement backlight at? It could still be under warranty so you might be able to get it repaired for nothing from dell/acer/whoever they are.
It's an MSI. I don't actually have a back light replacement and I don't know if I have a warranty. I just opened it up to make sure there wasn't any structural damage but getting to he back light is a very delicate process.

It was a graduation gift after all from an organization who gave out like 100 so I don't think they bought something like extended warranty.

Thanks for the link markot.

legend166

Choc said:
wait WHAT, getting more?

hang on

if the concert is $99 AUD and the USD is worth 60c, the concert promoter/act gets more money through conversion

if its 99 and parity, they get 99

i believe the bands are probably still charging the same rate they do but hte promoters to retain profit have to raise prices due to parity

No. choc fails at maths.

I'm acting under the assumption they get paid in Australian dollars.

Let's say concert tickets are $100AU. If the dollar is 60c, the act goes back home, and goes to convert his $100AU into US, and gets $60. If the dollar is at parity, he gets $100US.

It's the opposite if an Australian act goes to America.

Stackboy

Anyone picked TDU2? Impressions please. I'm thinking about picking it up on 360.

Also, I would love to be able to grab a copy of You Don't Know Jack, but it's not showing up on steam and it doesn't appear to be getting a local release.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
No. choc fails at maths.

I'm acting under the assumption they get paid in Australian dollars.

Let's say concert tickets are $100AU. If the dollar is 60c, the act goes back home, and goes to convert his $100AU into US, and gets $60. If the dollar is at parity, he gets $100US.

It's the opposite if an Australian act goes to America.

it's a known fact that US and European bands quote in Euros and US dollars for their appearance fees

in fact last year when Chugg etc were interviewed they said parity was very bad for them because it was costing nearly twice as much to attract the same acts

the U2 tour ran at a minor loss.

Choc

Banned
Stackboy said:
Anyone picked TDU2? Impressions please. I'm thinking about picking it up on 360.

Also, I would love to be able to grab a copy of You Don't Know Jack, but it's not showing up on steam and it doesn't appear to be getting a local release.

I have TDU2

the driving model is crap, but then i am coming from Gt5 so.....

other than that its not to bad, the community stuff is cool where you can set challenges and bet against other players etc :)

Mar

Gazunta said:
Oh by the way - in all seriousness - Stacking is fucking amazing. Buy it. I am so smitten with it you have no idea. It's the Ricki Lee Coulter of video games.

Something to be avoided?

Choc

Banned
stacking IS fucking amazing :)

i have almost finished it, so good.

just for FYIs

EB trade value for 3DS

DS Lite $50
DSI $100

GAME

Dsi $160

Dsi XL $251!!!!!!!

jambo

Gazunta said:

I'll avoid Stacking then, thanks for the heads up Gaz.

Also, everyone should buy TDU2 on PC so we can cruise.

giri

Choc said:
it's a known fact that US and European bands quote in Euros and US dollars for their appearance fees

in fact last year when Chugg etc were interviewed they said parity was very bad for them because it was costing nearly twice as much to attract the same acts

the U2 tour ran at a minor loss.
EH, how does that work exactly?

If a band (theoritically here) Quotes US$100,000 for us to put on a show. i.e. thats their general flat fee they charge everyone, (and then organisers pay flights accom etc on top), parity can only work in the australian promoters favour, as it takes less aussie dollars to put on the same act.

If the au dollar is .65 to the us dollar, and they supplied a quote for US$100,000 to perform, that's going to cost AU$153,846 odd australian. If the aussie dollar is at parity, it's only going to cost AU$100,000. The band is still making the same amount, but the promoter is paying less.

giri

Gazunta said:
You guys are fucking soulless monsters.
ellamorton23_web-300x240.jpg
Posting her with the same hair colour as the shrek-girl is meant to convince us otherwise? 0_o

Just say mila kunis. Now thats one wow fan i can get behind.

markot

Banned
Choc said:
stacking IS fucking amazing :)

i have almost finished it, so good.

just for FYIs

EB trade value for 3DS

DS Lite $50
DSI $100

GAME

Dsi $160

Dsi XL $251!!!!!!!
>_< I would do that, but I have stuff I want to xfer to my 3ds..... any word on how that will work from Nintendo yet?

legend166

giri said:
EH, how does that work exactly?

If a band (theoritically here) Quotes US$100,000 for us to put on a show. i.e. thats their general flat fee they charge everyone, (and then organisers pay flights accom etc on top), parity can only work in the australian promoters favour, as it takes less aussie dollars to put on the same act.

If the au dollar is .65 to the us dollar, and they supplied a quote for US$100,000 to perform, that's going to cost AU$153,846 odd australian. If the aussie dollar is at parity, it's only going to cost AU$100,000. The band is still making the same amount, but the promoter is paying less.

Yeah I have no idea what Choc is on about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom