• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Agyar said:
TL;DR version: You're all pirates and there's no money in making games for you.
That seems to be the general attitude lately. Can't make money out of PC gamers if you don't make games for them.

Honestly, the more that PC gets ignored, the less interested I become in gaming.

giri

Agyar said:
Double Fine actually answer this on their web site and Tim Schafer has spoken about it before.

TL;DR version: You're all pirates and there's no money in making games for you.
We're only pirates cause the prices they charger are shit and so are their games and they all lack polish and i don't want to play them anyway. Now port them all to PC please.

Gazunta

Or, you know, they could be looking at the numbers that adventure games "do" on PC and deciding that they either:

a) Can't compete in that space against places like Telltale, or
b) have no idea / experience in marketing adventure games on PC.

I just think it's a stretch to say they're not doing it out of piracy. THQ publish a heap of stuff on PC.

Meh, don't really feel like spending my morning defending THQ anyway :p

Omikron

Gazunta said:
Or, you know, they could be looking at the numbers that adventure games "do" on PC and deciding that they either:

I just think it's a stretch to say they're not doing it out of piracy. THQ publish a heap of stuff on PC.

200px-THQ_logo_2011.svg.png

:p

giri

Gazunta said:

Mine was just pardoy.

They aren't obliged too. I think steam has changed a lot of their problems for the PC platform, but i can understand publishers not wanting to go down the PC path. Too many people on that platform blame all their problems on everyone else, and mean while, add 0 money [which is what really talks in gaming] by purchasing any of their games, even ones the defame, but spend 100 hours playing.

Omikron

Bernbaum said:
I got all the achievements in Stacking and I'm now the video game champ!

Speaking of achievements, someone needs to help me get the last 4 in L4D2. :x

Specifically the stupid team game one. Fuck.

legend166

Gazunta said:

It's a Tim Schafer game. On PC. That's all your marketing right there. The fact that they don't leverage that already is just mind boggling. You've got a developer whose legacy is that of a well loved PC developer. You've got some games you want to distribute via digital distribution. And you don't put it on PC? THQ are retarded. No wonder Costume Quest didn't sell all that great.

If Recettear can sell a couple hundred thousand copies on Steam, no one else has an excuse.

Agyar

jambo said:
A dollar bill weighs about a gram, so to make a ton they would only need to make $907,184

And to make that figure they would only have to make 500,000 sales, as nobody buys games on Steam until they're $2.

I'm good at malarkey too.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Even though Magicka, which is a $10 game has sold 200,000 copes in the first 17 days of release. It's also still a buggy as fuck mess but it's still selling like hot cakes.

It's Tim Schafer and while it's nice that everyone is on his cock about how great his game are, they aren't really a financial success. It's hard to back someone who isn't able to sell huge numbers even though they may get great reviews across the board.

MrSerrels

Just saw Wayne Rooney's overhead kick. Holy shit. That's the kind of overhead kick they use in every football commercial ever made, but you never see in real life.

Mad Roy of the Rovers stuff.

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
Just saw Wayne Rooney's overhead kick. Holy shit. That's the kind of overhead kick they use in every football commercial ever made, but you never see in real life.

Mad Roy of the Rovers stuff.

Ferguson called it the best goal ever scored at old trafford

Rooney to front FIFA 12, AGAIN.

Choc

Banned
how about that, he stops going to call girls, gets back with his lady and after that scores the goal of the fucking millenium

coincidence, i think not.

Agyar

Choc said:
how about that, he stops going to call girls, gets back with his lady and after that scores the goal of the fucking millenium

Direct relationship between lying and sporting abilities.

Mar

Choc said:

Proof of a vengeful god. Wrap it up atheists, choc has shown us the truth beyond any doubt.

legend166

Jintor said:
Hey, Recettear was awesome

I know. My point was it's basically as niche as it gets. It's a loli-styled, Japanese RPG shop sim/dungeon crawler that managed to sell a couple hundred thousand copies based entirely off word of mouth and sales.

If THQ can't figure out how to sell a quality Tim Schafer game on Steam, they are completely inept.

Shaneus

Fuck Activision. Seriously.

I'm usually fairly impartial to publishers but they've done so much to screw gamers and devs recently I've decided to hate on them as much as possible. Ghostbusters, Brutal Legend, Bizarre/Blur, Sierra... damn Activision to hell.

So as a footnote to my post earlier about introducing my other half to Dominion on Friday (and her being uninterested in anything Valentines Day)

She just called me in her lunch break to say "I think for Valentines Day we should play some Dominion tonight"

<3 <3 <3

MrSerrels

BanShunsaku said:
So as a footnote to my post earlier about introducing my other half to Dominion on Friday (and her being uninterested in anything Valentines Day)

She just called me in her lunch break to say "I think for Valentines Day we should play some Dominion tonight"

<3 <3 <3

If I tried to pull that I reckon I would wake up with my dick in a jar. Literally. In a jar.

Agyar

BanShunsaku said:

<3 <3 <3

You guys just playing the base set? Also if you have an iPhone, grab the Dominion Kingdom Deck app. Very handy for randomising and saving supplies and has all the set supplies from the manuals built-in.

Edit: Also, you're not in Brisbane are you?

Agyar said:
You guys just playing the base set? Also if you have an iPhone, grab the Dominion Kingdom Deck app. Very handy for randomising and saving supplies and has all the set supplies from the manuals built-in.

Edit: Also, you're not in Brisbane are you?

Nope, Sydney unfortunately. If I was in Brisbane I might have to invite myself to some sort of AusGAF boardgame gathering :)

We're just playing the base set, played mostly with the "first few games" recommended card set.

What would be a good next step?

Dead Man

http://abc.com.au/news/stories/2011/02/14/3137847.htm

The Business Council says cuts to disability services and foreign aid should be considered as alternatives to the flood levy.

The Federal Government says the $1.8 billion tax is needed to help pay for flood and cyclone reconstruction in Queensland and Victoria.

But in its pre-budget submission, the Business Council, which represents Australia's top 100 companies, says the government should instead press ahead with returning the budget to surplus through short-term spending discipline.

Council president Graham Bradley says all current spending should be reviewed and disability pensions may not be the best use of government money.

"It is one of the large budget items," he told ABC Radio's AM.

"And if you look at what countries overseas are doing in this regard ... for example in the United Kingdom, they are taking a really hard look to make sure that there aren't people currently incentivised to be on disability pensions who really would be much better off going back to work, even if it is only part-time or less rigorous work."

Mr Bradley says it is in people's best interests to get back to work.

"Being a long-term unemployed person is not good for people's psychology - it is not good for their health, it is not good for their recovery," he said.

"We need to be doing everything we can to reduce the incentives, including the tax disincentives for people to go back to work."

Classy. Methinks Mr Bradley has no fucking idea what he is talking about.

Choc

Banned
this is correct. We are NO WHERE NEAR as generous to the disabled as the UK. In the UK they get houses rent free and other things. It's actually a much more moral and fairer system but it is costing them tons so they are looking at it.

Every news article is failing to mention this fact. It's a fucking disgrace that article and that guy needs to fuck off and die.

Taking money from our most vulnerable so people on 100k plus can get an extra coffee a week is fucking ludicrous.

Agyar

BanShunsaku said:
Nope, Sydney unfortunately. If I was in Brisbane I might have to invite myself to some sort of AusGAF boardgame gathering :)

We're just playing the base set, played mostly with the "first few games" recommended card set.

What would be a good next step?

Well, playing some randomly drafted games will keep you occupied with the base set for a while. There's a lot of combinations in the base set and there's some really interesting cards in there that are worth playing with multiple times until you realise how deep the rabbit hole goes (for example, Chapel).

As for the next expansion, probably either Intrigue or Seaside. I went Intrigue as it was the first expansion produced and seems to be the one most closely modelled on the existing mechanics in the base set. Seaside, Alchemy and Prosperity all introduce their own flavour to the game through the cards (Seaside - action effects on your next turn, Alchemy - potions and action chains, Prosperity - larger currency and victory point cards).

Seaside seems to be the most widely appreciated expansions (probably because it has pirates in it) but I can't really comment further until I play it myself. As for Intrigue, I'm not disappointed at all as it definitely feels like the second half of the Base Set and the combined 50 kingdom cards really gel together nicely for some excellent supply options.

Agyar

Choc said:
this is correct. We are NO WHERE NEAR as generous to the disabled as the UK. In the UK they get houses rent free and other things. It's actually a much more moral and fairer system but it is costing them tons so they are looking at it.

Every news article is failing to mention this fact. It's a fucking disgrace that article and that guy needs to fuck off and die.

Taking money from our most vulnerable so people on 100k plus can get an extra coffee a week is fucking ludicrous.

Cutting foreign aid so substantially is also abhorrent.

giri

Choc said:

As one of those people, FOAD.

The levy is retarded, get rid of it.

I do not sugest at the detriment of the disabled though.

Choc

Banned
giri said:
As one of those people, FOAD.

The levy is retarded, get rid of it.

I do not sugest at the detriment of the disabled though.

Giri i will be subject to the levy as will you if it comes in.

My point is not that the levy is good, the point is that to not have the levy but then cut disabled funding is disgraceful.

The biggest factor in this whole thing is an editorial i read in the paper today. Queensland and South Australia are the only states that do not have their infrastructure insured against loss.

So, ok, NSW et al have to pay a levy to a state that didn't bother to insure its infrastructure? Apparently this is why the levy is not for Victoria at all as they are insured

Now hang on a fucking minute. If my money is already being used to insure our infrastructure in NSW, surely the Queensland government in some way should be held to account for not insuring its infrastructure rather then just getting federal funding willy nilly.

The state should have insured its shit!

also are financial analysts this dumb?!

2:32PM UPDATED Scott Murdoch SHARES in IAG are under intense pressure today, after the country's largest insurer issued a surprise and sharp profit downgrade.

of course they are downgrading, they are an insurer for fuck sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom