• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oooh $148 isn't tooooooo bad. Banana picked up the PC version from amazon for $110 shipped. At least it being local it shouldn't go missing and should turn up in decent condition.

Choc said:
If my money is already being used to insure our infrastructure in NSW, surely the Queensland government in some way should be held to account for not insuring its infrastructure rather then just getting federal funding willy nilly.
Just wait until the other state governments figure out there's no point in insuring their infrastructure, since everyone else will pay if there's a catastrophe anyway.

giri

Choc said:
Giri i will be subject to the levy as will you if it comes in.

My point is not that the levy is good, the point is that to not have the levy but then cut disabled funding is disgraceful.

The biggest factor in this whole thing is an editorial i read in the paper today. Queensland and South Australia are the only states that do not have their infrastructure insured against loss.

So, ok, NSW et al have to pay a levy to a state that didn't bother to insure its infrastructure? Apparently this is why the levy is not for Victoria at all as they are insured

Now hang on a fucking minute. If my money is already being used to insure our infrastructure in NSW, surely the Queensland government in some way should be held to account for not insuring its infrastructure rather then just getting federal funding willy nilly.

The state should have insured its shit!
In most cases, it actually makes little sense for states to insure their property. And i doubt NSW or anyone else have the type of insurance you're thinking of, But they might have catastrophe cover. I can understand the states not getting it, for the most part, they will pay considerably more in premium than they ever would claim. Inusurers and even re-insurers (the guys who are turely massive) are scared shitless of an individual claim of 2 Billion.

Private people though, i am apalled and disgusted at. A lot of farmers who are claiming hardship were hit 4 years ago by cyclones, but never took out insurance against them again. They're once again asking for interest free loans to get themselves back up and running. THOSE are the people that should be copping a hell of a lot of flak, but won't, because of the media's love of portraying them as the aussie battler and the insurance companies as jerks.

Why should they cop a lot of flak for it, and why should the governments stop handing out money to these people? They should cop a lot of flak because they drive everyone elses premiums up, and waste tax payers money. If everyone who should, did, get that insurance the pool of money inolved would be significantly higher, and would see more competition from insurers, even quite potentially loss making rates. But they aren't putting that money there, so there's less money, less competition, and in general spoil it for the rest.

The governments have to stop handing out money like candy because it sends the message to these people that its ok to not bother with insurance, we'll help you out. So they get interest free loans, don't pay insurance, and in many cases, tax exemption for several years. Leading them to be a great burden on the whole country.

Unfair? no, Maybe harsh, but it's also true.

AnkhWeasel said:
No way in hell i pre-order that game.

Think I'll wait for the popular opinion on Duke. I loved Duke 3D, and played it to death, but I think a lot would have outgrown the type of humour. Bulletstorm, for example, made me cringe more than laugh.

The Ars Technica preview turned me off the game. Then Crecente's Kotaku preview made me interested. So, I'll wait.

Choc

Banned
apparently they do have the coverage Giri which is why victoria is not getting a dime. This was the point of the editorial, everyone has coverage bar south australia and queensland and what makes them so special. That was the editorials point.

giri

Choc said:
apparently they do have the coverage Giri which is why victoria is not getting a dime. This was the point of the editorial, everyone has coverage bar south australia and queensland and what makes them so special. That was the editorials point.
Catastrophe Cover, yeah. But again, it's usually not worth what they pay for it. Even in these cases. Long term, they probably get done over on it big time.

I'm not saying i'm for or against the states having it, really. But i can see them not.

Choc

Banned
duke nukem forever will set back our progress with getting girls liking games 10 years, easily.

imo

also

why are the victorian flood victims, WA fire victims not exempt from the levy?

but QLD flood and QLD cyclone are

giri

Agyar said:
I also, will only buy DNF when I can physically hold the disc in my hands.
Yeah. I mean, i remember when PC Power Play gave people a choice of DNF or dark reign as their prize, several chose Duke, 6 months later they all got to choose again. That was when EB and co were offering people their money back on their pre-orders.

I... just have no faith it will ever see a release.

Choc

Banned
fun facts

When PC Powerplay ran the joke DNF review that gave it 99% in April 1999 i think it was, the local distributor was rather pissed off

why

because people were calling them asking where to buy it and when can they get a demo to try it etc

not just one person, not just two, but thousands LOL

giri

Choc said:
duke nukem forever will set back our progress with getting girls liking games 10 years, easily.

imo

also

why are the victorian flood victims, WA fire victims not exempt from the levy?

but QLD flood and QLD cyclone are
I have no idea. the whole levy is retarded.

I just realised i'm on the same sid of an argument as choc. I now question if i'm right.

Agyar said:
Well, playing some randomly drafted games will keep you occupied with the base set for a while. There's a lot of combinations in the base set and there's some really interesting cards in there that are worth playing with multiple times until you realise how deep the rabbit hole goes (for example, Chapel).

As for the next expansion, probably either Intrigue or Seaside. I went Intrigue as it was the first expansion produced and seems to be the one most closely modelled on the existing mechanics in the base set. Seaside, Alchemy and Prosperity all introduce their own flavour to the game through the cards (Seaside - action effects on your next turn, Alchemy - potions and action chains, Prosperity - larger currency and victory point cards).

Seaside seems to be the most widely appreciated expansions (probably because it has pirates in it) but I can't really comment further until I play it myself. As for Intrigue, I'm not disappointed at all as it definitely feels like the second half of the Base Set and the combined 50 kingdom cards really gel together nicely for some excellent supply options.
Awesome, I'll prob just stick with the base set and some randoms for a while and then maybe go for Intrigue. I think I prefer the idea of playing the expansions in release order...

Thanks for all the advice!

MrSerrels

Choc said:
fun facts

When PC Powerplay ran the joke DNF review that gave it 99% in April 1999 i think it was, the local distributor was rather pissed off

why

because people were calling them asking where to buy it and when can they get a demo to try it etc

not just one person, not just two, but thousands LOL

No magazine would have the balls to do that today. Shame. Too much on the line for them...

giri

MrSerrels said:
No magazine would have the balls to do that today. Shame. Too much on the line for them...
That was probably back when Ben Mansel was still running it.

He was awesome.

Magazine wasn't as good when he left.

giri

Omi said:
For those waffling on about Rooney's goal as 'tha bEsT gOAl EvAR', might want some to do some youtubing, a couple off the top of my head.

Trevor Sinclair - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-YkxnQJSkU

or maybe

Van Basten - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzGe5sYnhA4
Its certainly not the first "bicycle" kick goal in a live game, no. Was fancy though.

Choc said:
The Ben man was in charge yes.

Ben was awesome, i stopped reading 6 months after he left because, the mag really just wasn't the same.

Gazunta

I work with someone who used to do comics in Atomic back in the early days when Ben Mansel was in charge. Wish he'd do more comics. I wish everyone would do more comics.
kritz

jambo

I don't anyone ever said it was the best goal ever in this thread.

I'd love to read that PCPP review. I have a tonne of old issues, but I can't remember having the one with the DNF review.

Nemesis_

Every game that's been delayed countless times or taken ages to come out has almost always been very disappointing.

I'm not expecting a whole lot from Duke.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Gazunta said:
I work with someone who used to do comics in Atomic back in the early days when Ben Mansel was in charge. Wish he'd do more comics. I wish everyone would do more comics.
kritz

I used to know or maybe sorta still do, The guy who did the comics in atomic for the past few years before he moved to doing Cnet stuff.

Haven't spoken to him in a while though due to my own laziness.

Does anyone know where I can source a copy of Battlefield Bad Company 2 Ultimate Edition for a decent price? PAL version. Don't mind importing. This game seems to be very rare, unless you want to pay $80 plus for it at EB Games.

Kritz

Banned
how about I just recycle old comics

1.png

3.png

5-also.png

Jintor

giri said:
Its certainly not the first "bicycle" kick goal in a live game, no. Was fancy though.

Ben was awesome, i stopped reading 6 months after he left because, the mag really just wasn't the same.

They're trying their best! ;__;

Darklord

Banned
Anyone know a good UK or Australian site/shop to buy one of the SF4 Fightpads or SE stick for 360? I'm thinking of picking one up for MvC3 and MK.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bernbaum said:
Think I'll listen to the Radiohead discography chronologically for the next few days...
get back to me when you realise how great Amnesiac is

Bernbaum

Darklord said:
Anyone know a good UK or Australian site/shop to buy one of the SF4 Fightpads or SE stick for 360? I'm thinking of picking one up for MvC3 and MK.
GAME got rid of a shit-tonne of EX sticks for $78 not long back. I considered stocking up. In fact, I bought one for Playstation and it's still in the box, plastic wrapper and everything.

Rez said:
get back to me when you realise how great Amnesiac is
I hope you have a comfy rocking chair upon which you can teeter back and forth whilst you patiently wait. As you age and your mind and body crumbles, I'll be over here happily not listening to Amnesiac.

Gaz, if you haven't read this blog, then you need to. If you have, then I tip my hat to thee...

Bernbaum

New Radiohead in five or so days, I'm not sure about international timing. I couldn't even finish a video game in that time.

Hell, it's about the same amount of time it takes for SOME PEOPLE I KNOW to make their moves on Carcassone.

HURRY UP

Mako_Drug

Bernbaum said:
GAME got rid of a shit-tonne of EX sticks for $78 not long back. I considered stocking up. In fact, I bought one for Playstation and it's still in the box, plastic wrapper and everything.

If you end up not wanting it and are willing to sell it for that price I'd totally buy it. Just putting that out there.

Mar

Amnesiac is an amazing album. I used to listen to Radiohead exclusively for years... But now I kind of don't care anymore. Whenever one of their songs pops up in my shuffled list I always press skip. I don't know, I think I've just got bored of their sound.

I'll get the new album anyway and give it a listen. Not expecting much though.

Darklord

Banned
Bernbaum said:

Damn it!

Gazunta

Bernbaum said:
New Radiohead in five or so days, I'm not sure about international timing. I couldn't even finish a video game in that time.

Hell, it's about the same amount of time it takes for SOME PEOPLE I KNOW to make their moves on Carcassone.

HURRY UP
Crap, sorry, there was a weird backup / syncing issue on my iPad, and now for some reason the game you, me and Agyar are playing disappeared. I can play it on the iPhone but i keep forgetting :/

Haven't seen that blog before, aaaaagh someone's beaten me to it!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mar said:
Amnesiac is an amazing album. I used to listen to Radiohead exclusively for years... But now I kind of don't care anymore. Whenever one of their songs pops up in my shuffled list I always press skip. I don't know, I think I've just got bored of their sound.

I'll get the new album anyway and give it a listen. Not expecting much though.

I'm similar although i haven't listened to them for years, It only took a few months before i got bored of their sound. If it's paranoid android then i will usually get about half way through until i hit the skip button, the rest are instantly skipped.

I'm not sure why, Probably has to do with me just not being emo or wanting to feel that way anymore.

markot

Banned
I hate mp rts >.< but I am looking forward to the single player and the new armies. IG is awesome.

I was thinking of getting the CE boxed... but I might get it on GG instead since its like half price... I dunno, I kinda want the cards, plus I get all the extras and a poster with the ce, and I havent bought a ce in so long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom