• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar

I can finally talk about my new writing project:

Digital Romance Lab

I'm very much an amateur amongst a group of professionals. Jane Pinckard contacted me from out of nowhere and asked me to join, so it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Yeah, it's 'just a blog', but I'm excited to be working with people who can not only write, but write in a professional capacity.

And here's my Dragon Age: Origins Witch Hunt DLC article that, if it had a score at the bottom, could probably be seen as a review of some sort.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Sounds like the same name choc.

Holy shit Mar, Congrats man. That's outstanding. Just don't go and show her this thread, you could be fired asap.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Kritz said:
Free steam copy of portal to whoever wants it. PM me on Steam or in steam chat.

You pre-ordered portal 2 fast. I get the feeling there will be a lot of free portals going around soon. Portals for all!

So I'm headed to Kiwiland tomorrow for a few days - any tips or advice?

I'm basically just hanging around on the North Island (attending a wedding in Auckland, then visiting Coromandel and Waitomo)

rass

viciouskillersquirrel said:

I'm basically just hanging around on the North Island (attending a wedding in Auckland, then visiting Coromandel and Waitomo)
Enjoy the scenery and friendly people. That is all. Also, get a can of L&P if you like soft drink and haven't had it before. COLD CAN, not bottle.

giri

It's a shame you're on the nort island, auckland really isn't that different from any australian city. Wellington is nice for the views. But the best part of the country is the south island.

Still, it's pleasant and enjoyable, and so much of their economy relies upon tourism there are tons of things to do.

Mar

Choc said:
is that the jane that started 1up yours before Garnett took over?

Yep, the very same. She first started following me on twitter with her secure account and I thought she must have pressed the wrong button. I was waiting to see if she'd realise and remove me. But then she sent me an email...

evlcookie said:
Holy shit Mar, Congrats man. That's outstanding. Just don't go and show her this thread, you could be fired asap.

Hah. It is kind of worrying that people actually read what I spew out on the internet.

jambo

legend166 said:
I really need to get my internet fixed before the new Radiohead comes out.
So glad mines getting put in tomorrow arvo, I'll be all set for the release of The King of Limbs =D

Also Jambi is a great song, love me some talk box action

giri

Eh. If you've ever imagined your girl wearing something from Sex Kitten Kitten d'Amour, regular lingerie seems a little boring by comparison.
Heck, you've been able to order for Agent Provocateur for years, they ship straight to Aus, np's.

VS gets hyped more for their models than the stuff it self.

legend166

Choc, remember how I said the A-League would never be really popular in Australia? This is why:

Top 100 Pay Television Programmes
Overnight
Total Individuals
5 City Metro
1 Live: AFL: NAB Cup Pool 1 Melb V Port Fox Sports 1 180,000
2 Live: AFL: NAB Cup Pool 1 Ade V Melb Fox Sports 1 154,000
3 Live: AFL: NAB Cup Pool 1 Ade V Port Fox Sports 1 136,000
4 Live: Cricket: The Allan Border Medal Fox Sports 1 98,000
5 Live: Football: EPL Man Utd V Man City Fox Sports 2 93,000
6 Live: Football: EPL Arsenal V Wolves Fox Sports 2 51,000
7 Bruce Almighty Movie Extra 49,000
8 Live: NFL Super Bowl Espn 48,000
9 Marked For Death Showtime Action 47,000
10 Last Of The Summer Wine UKTV 46,000
11 Midsomer Murders UKTV 45,000
12 Lewis UKTV 44,000
13 Air America Showtime Action 41,000
14 American Idol Fox8 39,000
15 A Touch Of Frost UKTV 39,000
16 Raceday Saturday Sky Racing 39,000
17 Live: Football: A-League Adel V Melb V Fox Sports 2 38,000
18 Live: Football: A-League Bris V G Coast Fox Sports 2 38,000

19 AFL: NAB Cup Pool 2 Fox Sports 1 37,000
20 Britain’s Next Top Model Fox8 36,000

Massively outrated by preseason AFL games and the EPL.

Agyar

giri said:
Heck, you've been able to order for Agent Provocateur for years, they ship straight to Aus, np's.

VS gets hyped more for their models than the stuff it self.

Getting excited about watching Victoria's Secret runway shows is the grown-up version of ten-year-olds peeking at the underwear section of Myer catalogues.

So I just remembered that I signed up for Twitter about 2 years ago and then never touched it again (I have never actually tweeted!)

I'm @BanShunsaku, and have about zero friends who are on twitter, so is anyone on AusGAF worth following? ;)

Also, played a few games of Dominion with the other half last night, and was completely destroyed in every game. Goddamn witches and curse cards killed me.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
Choc, remember how I said the A-League would never be really popular in Australia? This is why:

Top 100 Pay Television Programmes
Overnight
Total Individuals
5 City Metro
1 Live: AFL: NAB Cup Pool 1 Melb V Port Fox Sports 1 180,000
2 Live: AFL: NAB Cup Pool 1 Ade V Melb Fox Sports 1 154,000
3 Live: AFL: NAB Cup Pool 1 Ade V Port Fox Sports 1 136,000
4 Live: Cricket: The Allan Border Medal Fox Sports 1 98,000
5 Live: Football: EPL Man Utd V Man City Fox Sports 2 93,000
6 Live: Football: EPL Arsenal V Wolves Fox Sports 2 51,000
7 Bruce Almighty Movie Extra 49,000
8 Live: NFL Super Bowl Espn 48,000
9 Marked For Death Showtime Action 47,000
10 Last Of The Summer Wine UKTV 46,000
11 Midsomer Murders UKTV 45,000
12 Lewis UKTV 44,000
13 Air America Showtime Action 41,000
14 American Idol Fox8 39,000
15 A Touch Of Frost UKTV 39,000
16 Raceday Saturday Sky Racing 39,000
17 Live: Football: A-League Adel V Melb V Fox Sports 2 38,000
18 Live: Football: A-League Bris V G Coast Fox Sports 2 38,000

19 AFL: NAB Cup Pool 2 Fox Sports 1 37,000
20 Britain’s Next Top Model Fox8 36,000

Massively outrated by preseason AFL games and the EPL.

i wonder what the figures are if you take away Victoria and AFL lands.

i am not saying thats an excuse but the AFL is only big in 3 states (same with the NRL on the other side of the country etc)

legend166

Choc said:

i am not saying thats an excuse but the AFL is only big in 3 states (same with the NRL on the other side of the country etc)

That's the least relevant thing you've ever posted.

Agyar

BanShunsaku said:
So I just remembered that I signed up for Twitter about 2 years ago and then never touched it again (I have never actually tweeted!)

I'm @BanShunsaku, and have about zero friends who are on twitter, so is anyone on AusGAF worth following? ;)

Also, played a few games of Dominion with the other half last night, and was completely destroyed in every game. Goddamn witches and curse cards killed me.

I'm lorcanw on Twitter.

Witches are a really powerful card, especially when you're just playing with the base set. All the five-cost cards are generally pretty solid but if someone starts buying Witches you need to respond pretty quickly lest you be left in the dust. Buying Moats isn't always the answer but when you see Moats and Witches in the supply, buying a Moat early on can be enough deterrence for your opponent to pursue a different strategy. Buying your own Witches is never a bad idea, they're a very solid terminal card especially against other attack cards, offering +2 cards and the attack and the more evenly split the Witches are, the faster the Curses will run out and be spread across both decks.

Following on from that, any strategy that allows you to trash cards (e.g. Chapel) or that allows you to draw lots of cards (Laboratory, Village/Smithy) will effectively counter a Witch. I imagine a Gardens strategy would also have potential to counter a Witch but I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself. In a two-player game, buying all eight Gardens would give you a net loss of -2, assuming you copped all ten Curses.

If you hate Witches now, wait until you get Intrigue and get hit with a Throne Room/Witch.

Edit: Oh and a Chapel/Witch deck will make anybody cry, especially if you get a 5/2 split and they haven't seen it before.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
That's the least relevant thing you've ever posted.

um how

AFL rates like fucking shit outside AFL land (victoria south australia western australia)

not entirely sure how thats not relevant.

yes in AFL land it completely dominates, take AFL land away and it would be interesting.

hamchan

Choc said:

The A-League games moves up 3 spots and still looks bad?

giri

Choc said:
um how

AFL rates like fucking shit outside AFL land (victoria south australia western australia)

yes in AFL land it completely dominates, take AFL land away and it would be interesting.
So you want to compare how the A-League in it's most dominant 3 states compares to the AFL in its least dominant? 0_o Not sure how good a comparison that is.

The A-League is run incompetently for the most part, so it's no real surprise.

Choc

Banned
giri said:
So you want to compare how the A-League in it's most dominant 3 states compares to the AFL in its least dominant? 0_o Not sure how good a comparison that is.

The A-League is run incompetently for the most part, so it's no real surprise.

no i am just wondering what the ratings are in the non AFL states

not in comparison to AL

legend166

Choc said:
um how

Because saying "Hmmm, I wonder what the ratings would be like if you took away half of the country" makes no sense and had nothing to do with what I was talking about. On top of that, The A-League is most popular in Melbourne anyway.

Besides, AFL still rates better in Sydney/Brisbane than those figures. The round 22 game between Sydney and Brisbane last year got 131k, despite being shown on channel 10 at the same time.

Anyway, my post wasn't supposed to be about the AFL. More interesting is the fact that twice as many people watch the EPL, which is what we were talking about in Steam chat awhile ago..

Bernbaum

hamchan said:
It's because the A-League sucks balls compared to the games in the EPL.
Despite Brisbane standing out as a the dominant side, the overall quality of the game across all clubs has improved remarkably this season and I'd like to think it's on the up and up.

Watch the highlights reel from Saturday's match against Gold Coast and you'll see a handful of decent goals that were the result of an exceptionally well-organised passing game from the Roar.

It's like day and night compared to the 2009/2010 season.

Agyar said:
I'm lorcanw on Twitter.

Witches are a really powerful card, especially when you're just playing with the base set. All the five-cost cards are generally pretty solid but if someone starts buying Witches you need to respond pretty quickly lest you be left in the dust. Buying Moats isn't always the answer but when you see Moats and Witches in the supply, buying a Moat early on can be enough deterrence for your opponent to pursue a different strategy. Buying your own Witches is never a bad idea, they're a very solid terminal card especially against other attack cards, offering +2 cards and the attack and the more evenly split the Witches are, the faster the Curses will run out and be spread across both decks.

Following on from that, any strategy that allows you to trash cards (e.g. Chapel) or that allows you to draw lots of cards (Laboratory, Village/Smithy) will effectively counter a Witch. I imagine a Gardens strategy would also have potential to counter a Witch but I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself. In a two-player game, buying all eight Gardens would give you a net loss of -2, assuming you copped all ten Curses.

If you hate Witches now, wait until you get Intrigue and get hit with a Throne Room/Witch.

Edit: Oh and a Chapel/Witch deck will make anybody cry, especially if you get a 5/2 split and they haven't seen it before.

Once again, thanks for the tips!

I used that iphone/ipad app to pick a random deck, and we didn't have moats.

Had chapels though which I used to get rid of most of the curse cards, but in spending most of my time doing that I just couldn't get enough victory cards in time.

Fuck me though, my gf was aggressive. Hit me with a witch pretty much every hand until the curse cards ran out.

I told her I'll have to stop going easy on her from now on. Didn't go down well :lol

Omikron

The A-League is doooooomed!

FWIW, AFL as a sport to watch, either on TV and/or live is garbage imo, the constant rules tinkering and lack of finesse is just meh, never mind tactical differences are about as subtle as kick it long or lets play a full field zone!

Oh and if you want to compare apples with a different brand of apples, compare the top version of each sport, not the top version and about the 5th tier (a-league). ;)

AFL is and always will be a purely Australian-only sport.

Bernbaum said:
Despite Brisbane standing out as a the dominant side, the overall quality of the game across all clubs has improved remarkably this season and I'd like to think it's on the up and up.

Watch the highlights reel from Saturday's match against Gold Coast and you'll see a handful of decent goals that were the result of an exceptionally well-organised passing game from the Roar.

It's like day and night compared to the 2009/2010 season.

THIS x infinity.

The qualify has been fantastic and ever improving year on year. It took a big leap this year imo.

giri

Omi said:
The A-League is doooooomed!

FWIW, AFL as a sport to watch, either on TV and/or live is garbage imo, the constant rules tinkering and lack of finesse is just meh, never mind tactical differences are about as subtle as kick it long or lets play a full field zone!

Oh and if you want to compare apples with a different brand of apples, compare the top version of each sport, not the top version and about the 5th tier (a-league). ;)

AFL is and always will be a purely Australian-only sport.

THIS x infinity.

The qualify has been fantastic and ever improving year on year. It took a big leap this year imo.
You can't really compare the AFL and EPL, just due to the sheer $$$ difference involved.

AFL is ausralian centric, but as grid iron has shown, thats not always a sports biggest failing.

Omikron

giri said:
You can't really compare the AFL and EPL, just due to the sheer $$$ difference involved.

AFL is ausralian centric, but as grid iron has shown, thats not always a sports biggest failing.

But you are willing to compare the might of the AFL to the puny little A-league? Where does that argument become invalid?

giri

Omi said:
But you are willing to compare the might of the AFL to the puny little A-league? Where does that argument become invalid?
One is comparing in the same market (Ausralia) on the popularity of the local codes in Australia.

The other isn't.

The EPL is played in a market 8(?) times the size of australia. Heck, i think London has as many people as all of Aus. And in comparison, makes any of the football codes in Aus look tiny. I'd be willing to say Arsenal has a budget the same size as all of the AFL.

Agyar

BanShunsaku said:
Once again, thanks for the tips!

I used that iphone/ipad app to pick a random deck, and we didn't have moats.

Had chapels though which I used to get rid of most of the curse cards, but in spending most of my time doing that I just couldn't get enough victory cards in time.

Fuck me though, my gf was aggressive. Hit me with a witch pretty much every hand until the curse cards ran out.

I told her I'll have to stop going easy on her from now on. Didn't go down well :lol

If you were having trouble trashing cards and building your deck with a Chapel, I'd suggest you probably weren't trashing viciously enough. Even without a Witch in play, you can use a Chapel to trash all your Estates, buy Silvers, trash Coppers, buy Golds, trash Silvers and with some +cards actions (Lab, Smith) you can be buying a Province every turn.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
twitter is a completely passive experience for me (until I become famous)

Choc

Banned
giri said:
One is comparing in the same market (Ausralia) on the popularity of the local codes in Australia.

The other isn't.

The EPL is played in a market 8(?) times the size of australia. Heck, i think London has as many people as all of Aus. And in comparison, makes any of the football codes in Aus look tiny. I'd be willing to say Arsenal has a budget the same size as all of the AFL.

just for shits and gigles i did some maths

it costs $33 AUD per Australian for the AFL TV Rights (23 million) $780 million

it costs $54 AUD per british resident for the English premier League (61 million) 1.7 billion

dunno about 8x :)

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Choc said:
just for shits and gigles i did some maths

it costs $33 AUD per Australian for the AFL TV Rights (23 million) $780 million

it costs $54 AUD per british resident for the English premier League (61 million) 1.7 billion

dunno about 8x :)
But 1.7b / 61m is 27.. what am I missing?

edit: I guess that 1.7 isn't in dollars..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom