• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
hamchan said:
New people whose names I have to remember. It was hard enough already!

shut up kritz

also to that dude who asked about melbournians, there's a few of us.

also, to rpgs everywhere, specifically on pc, please have a feature to add my own notes, to maps or just a plain notepad file, that would be great. i keep forgetting where stuff i can scan/decrypt is in Mass Effect and having it would be so helpful.

edit: i mean because i decided to take ashley and fucking talia with me on the citadel cos they're useless and i wanted to hear their dialog, but then came across a bunch of shit i couldnt decrypt because i didnt have garrus

edit2: (3:22am) ME1 spoilers
i just killed the queen of the rachni. wtf i actually feel terrible. i clicked the choice completely by accident and my most recent save (quick or auto) was just before the boss fight and i couldnt be bothered doing it again. maybe on a possible second playthrough. i've completed the 3 initial objectives. what now? do i really have to go searching on shitloads of planets like i had to to find liara's location? planet-scoping is boring.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Doncamatic, I already like this guy. Idled in steam chat and says the mako is awesome, which it was.

How could you not enjoy pressing the jump button and bouncing all over the place. It was the most amusing and silly part of that entire game, I missed it in ME2.

Also DA2 demo is out. 1.9GB for PC, Doesn't seem to be up on anyones local servers yet although i'm getting full speed from the official website. I probably shouldn't download this with chrome though, hrm. See how she goes.

FreeFallin' said:
Btw I'm Doncamatic on steam (pmed a mod for a name change to that on GAF but that could take a bit), I maintain that the digsite is the best first planet to go to in Mass Effect, also that the mako is an enjoyable gameplay feature, especially on Noveria and that last driving gauntlet.

Another new AusGAF member here from sunny ole Geelong. I'm also known as reptilescorpio on Steam.

I agree that the Mako was a good idea but it was if an entirely different team worked on that area of the game. Too many of the planets had poorly designed terrain that made navigating the Mako through them frustrating rather than enjoyable. The best use of the Mako was in the Bring Down The Sky DLC where they actually added some nice extras to discover in between blowing up the usual turrets. Hopefully ME3 can find a nice middle ground between the frustrating yet engrossing Mako and the functional yet boring planet cracking.

Planet_JASE reporting in.

Just received my approval email not but 5 minutes ago while reading this very thread. I must say that I've lurked for many, many, many, many months, purely because I've been waiting to get approved. This thread is the very reason I decided to join, too.

I'm not ashamed to also admit that when AusGAF was moved to the Online section, which I could not access due to not being a member, were some of the hardest months to endure on NeoGAF.

I enjoy having an intelligent, thought-provoking, locally-relevant thread dedicated to gaming and other such lofty pursuits. For everything else I have this thread ;)

As is always my intent, I hope to be a fairly active member but usually find myself sporadically involved. Hopefully I can become one of the stalwart of this thread and not annoy people with my fairly constant, offbeat, sometimes black, sense of humour.

Hello, to one and all, it seems that I've known many of you for quite some time, yet you have only just met me.

PS-I'm interested in a BriGAF meet up if rape is an option. I promise to not put up much of a fight... unless you want me to, that is.

Holy hell, so many juniors!

And what's all this talk about the Mako being great? Either my sarcasm detector is fucked or you guys are smoking some crack

Also, left the DAII demo downloading in Chrome as well, was that a mistake? (I'm relatively new to Chrome)

Cohsae

1252456-makomountain_super.jpg

Deal with it.

Summary of my experiences in the Mako:

Broooooom
Bouncey Bouncey
Pew Pew Pew!
Whoop Whoop Whoop
KABOOM
Game Over

Edit: On second thought, much like when I make the sex

Ah, fuck it, while I'm in the posting mood, let me get through all of the gaming-first-date formalities.

I'm in my mid thirties, so I've been gaming for a long time. My first quasi-gaming machine was a Commodore Vic-20, which I spent many an hour typing up games, many more hours saving them to tape and then further hours loading them up to only find that there was a typo in the hundreds of line of code. Then fixing the code, saving, loading, finally playing the game for 10 minutes to find out it was 83types of shite. Good times. It is of those experiences that I remind myself when I think a current game is taking too long to load. 40secs? Bah, that's nothing!

I then moved on to the good old Atari 2600. As simple and frustrating as the games were... bloody hell they were addicting. I don't know how many hours I lost to that machine but it all seemed worth it. I don't know if I ever beat a game but at the same time I'm not sure if some of them actually had endings. that poor fucker was destined to run in that jungle forever. Don't bother collecting the gold because your going to die

I skipped a generation at that point and my next machine was a SNES. One of the biggest regrets I have is that I traded in my SNES and all it's games later on. Looking back at games that I had, I realize that while it may have been one of the smallest collections I've had on a console it holds the most in memories. Donkey Kong Country, all the Super Marios, Yoshi's Island, Unirally plus more that make me smile just thinking about them.

I trade in those memories for a couple of PS1 games, a console that I had just purchased. I think I found the PS1 more exciting than my SNES at the time; this may have just come down the fact that it had 3D computer modeling. Whatever the case, I think, in the end, that the PS1 was mainly a disappointment for me. If it wasn't for the FF series, Tekken and a couple of other titles I'm not sure how much I would have used it.

From there I entered the world of the N64 and Dreamcast. Both of these platforms suffered slightly because I was drifting out of gaming at the time and because they were both poorly supported. It didn't help that the Dreamcast declared itself dead about 2 weeks after I bought it (I shit you not) and I didn't realise it because it wasn't as easy to find out news as it is today. Both of these consoles had some great games (moreso the N64) and I regularly get the urge to play some Mario 64, Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask. I never succumb to it, but that due to my laziness than it is an indictment on the games. Maybe when I have a dedicated gaming room I will.

The PS2 was next, and dragged me back into gaming. I think Sony's follow up get ever bit of praise that it deserves and I look forward to setting it up one day and reliving the (fairly recent) memories.

This brings us to the current gen. Apart from PC Gaming (which I don't do) I have all 3 current consoles. I originally only had a PS3 (non BC, dammit - I missed out on those by about a month) and then the 360 mid last year and a Wii just before Christmas. This generation has probably turned me into a bugger gamer than I have ever been; perhaps less to do with any increase in quality and more to do with my own personal situation. I now have a bigger disposable income and can easily get the games cheaper for overseas. Seriously, why wouldn't you buy more games if they can be had for under $50 and usually less than $30?

The only downside to my situation is that my backlog is equal parts shameful and legendary. The shameful part is due to, well, we're not talking about 5 or 6 games. It. Is. Huge. I have been buying games quicker than I can play them as I reasoned that I might as well take advantage of the prices while I can. The legendary part is because of some of the games I still have yet to experience and can't wait to. Both Mass Effects, most of Little Big Planet 1 and all of 2, Fallout3, Oblivion, Viv Pinata, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and the list goes on.

The biggest problem I face is that the time available to play games seems to have decreased in equal measure the the financial opportunity I now have to buy as many games as I wanted back when I was young. I guess it's a good situation to be in.

So, that covers all the important things you need to know about me. We can leave the other, less important things (political views, religion, which animal I think is the sexiest, favourite books and movies, criminal record) until the second date.

Deal?

giri

Ergh, the mako stuff was horrible.

Planet scanning is better, but thats like saying getting punched in the ear is better than getting punched in the nose, either way you still want to punch the developer that thought of that shit in the ear and nose.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The mako was awesome like a bad D grade action movie, You watched it because it was so stupid that it was just a joy to view. The same rule applied here, The machine made no sense, it broke all laws of physics and just bounced from spot to spot. There was no major issue with controlling it, point it in the direction you want to go and bounce bounce bounce your way there.

On the train today i thought about picking up Carcassonne, Now that i've googled it and found out it's $10+ on the iTunes store i think spending that much could be a bad idea. I wouldn't mind joining the cool kids but that's a fair chunk of change on a game i will probably suck at. How hard is it to get into? Do you always play online with push notifications so games can take days or does it have to happen now and then?

I wish i was cool.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I have to admit, I would like to know what animal you think is sexiest. and please, justify your answer.

(thanks for taking the time to write all that up, welcome!)

legend166

Planet_JASE said:
Ah, fuck it, while I'm in the posting mood, let me get through all of the gaming-first-date formalities.

I'm in my mid thirties, so I've been gaming for a long time. My first quasi-gaming machine was a Commodore Vic-20, which I spent many an hour typing up games, many more hours saving them to tape and then further hours loading them up to only find that there was a typo in the hundreds of line of code. Then fixing the code, saving, loading, finally playing the game for 10 minutes to find out it was 83types of shite. Good times. It is of those experiences that I remind myself when I think a current game is taking too long to load. 40secs? Bah, that's nothing!

I then moved on to the good old Atari 2600. As simple and frustrating as the games were... bloody hell they were addicting. I don't know how many hours I lost to that machine but it all seemed worth it. I don't know if I ever beat a game but at the same time I'm not sure if some of them actually had endings. that poor fucker was destined to run in that jungle forever. Don't bother collecting the gold because your going to die

I skipped a generation at that point and my next machine was a SNES. One of the biggest regrets I have is that I traded in my SNES and all it's games later on. Looking back at games that I had, I realize that while it may have been one of the smallest collections I've had on a console it holds the most in memories. Donkey Kong Country, all the Super Marios, Yoshi's Island, Unirally plus more that make me smile just thinking about them.

I trade in those memories for a couple of PS1 games, a console that I had just purchased. I think I found the PS1 more exciting than my SNES at the time; this may have just come down the fact that it had 3D computer modeling. Whatever the case, I think, in the end, that the PS1 was mainly a disappointment for me. If it wasn't for the FF series, Tekken and a couple of other titles I'm not sure how much I would have used it.

From there I entered the world of the N64 and Dreamcast. Both of these platforms suffered slightly because I was drifting out of gaming at the time and because they were both poorly supported. It didn't help that the Dreamcast declared itself dead about 2 weeks after I bought it (I shit you not) and I didn't realise it because it wasn't as easy to find out news as it is today. Both of these consoles had some great games (moreso the N64) and I regularly get the urge to play some Mario 64, Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask. I never succumb to it, but that due to my laziness than it is an indictment on the games. Maybe when I have a dedicated gaming room I will.

The PS2 was next, and dragged me back into gaming. I think Sony's follow up get ever bit of praise that it deserves and I look forward to setting it up one day and reliving the (fairly recent) memories.

This brings us to the current gen. Apart from PC Gaming (which I don't do) I have all 3 current consoles. I originally only had a PS3 (non BC, dammit - I missed out on those by about a month) and then the 360 mid last year and a Wii just before Christmas. This generation has probably turned me into a bugger gamer than I have ever been; perhaps less to do with any increase in quality and more to do with my own personal situation. I now have a bigger disposable income and can easily get the games cheaper for overseas. Seriously, why wouldn't you buy more games if they can be had for under $50 and usually less than $30?

The only downside to my situation is that my backlog is equal parts shameful and legendary. The shameful part is due to, well, we're not talking about 5 or 6 games. It. Is. Huge. I have been buying games quicker than I can play them as I reasoned that I might as well take advantage of the prices while I can. The legendary part is because of some of the games I still have yet to experience and can't wait to. Both Mass Effects, most of Little Big Planet 1 and all of 2, Fallout3, Oblivion, Viv Pinata, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and the list goes on.

The biggest problem I face is that the time available to play games seems to have decreased in equal measure the the financial opportunity I now have to buy as many games as I wanted back when I was young. I guess it's a good situation to be in.

So, that covers all the important things you need to know about me. We can leave the other, less important things (political views, religion, which animal I think is the sexiest, favourite books and movies, criminal record) until the second date.

Deal?

Welp, sorry, this is unacceptable. You're going to have to leave.

Bernbaum

So new junior peoples, if you could please satisfy my curiosity, did you frequent this thread often as a lurker and if so, what kept you reading? Was the local game issues, or the frequent off-topic discussion and politics etc...

It looks like the majority of you signed up for NeoGAF before this thread got moved to 'Online/Community' and well before the Online section was opened up to non-members.

Evl, for people that like Carcassone, the asking price isn't that big issue given how accessible the digital versions are. I would argue that the XBLA version is the best way to learn the game but if I recall you're a PC/PS3 gamer. The 'real' box version is probably best though. The major draw for the iPhone version is the asynchronous 'play anywhere' format that allows players to make moves at their own leisure.

Oh and Rez, Mako>you.

Choc

Banned
giri said:
Christchurch is saying there are only 200 people reported missing..................

quote from julia gillard

Ms Gillard said she was sure many Australians had watched with a great deal of admiration as they saw New Zealanders get on with the task of search and rescue.

"We are still working through to confirm that Australians are safe," she said, adding the whereabouts of 417 had been confirmed.

"We are still seeking to confirm the status of 1094."

http://www.smh.com.au/world/austral...hristchurch-quake-gillard-20110223-1b4ci.html

Bernbaum said:
So new junior peoples, if you could please satisfy my curiosity, did you frequent this thread often as a lurker and if so, what kept you reading? Was the local game issues, or the frequent off-topic discussion and politics etc...

It looks like the majority of you signed up for NeoGAF before this thread got moved to 'Online/Community' and well before the Online section was opened up to non-members.

Yup, with the exception the thread disappearing from view for a while there, I was a pretty regular lurker. Local game issues, import game issues, that sort of stuff is what kept me reading - politics to a much lesser extent, but there were a number of times when I'd have liked to have been able to drop in my 2 cents in past discussions haha..

First and foremost I signed up here as a gamer - and with gaming forums I always tend to gravitate towards Aussie Crew stuff.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bernbaum said:
Evl, for people that like Carcassone, the asking price isn't that big issue given how accessible the digital versions are. I would argue that the XBLA version is the best way to learn the game but if I recall you're a PC/PS3 gamer. The 'real' box version is probably best though. The major draw for the iPhone version is the asynchronous 'play anywhere' format that allows players to make moves at their own leisure.

That's what made me interested in the iPhone version, since it seemed like yourself, Gaz, Ag and i'm guessing a few others were playing as a leisurely pace. Something i could do during the day at work.

How often do you guys play over the iPhone and it's magical online capabilities?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish I had the opportunity to play more board games. The Simpsons Monopoly is about as exotic as I've gone, unfortunately.

legend166

A few people from our work had a board game night a couple weeks ago (yes, there were women present).

I played Risk for the first time ever. I didn't win :(

legend166 said:
Welp, sorry, this is unacceptable. You're going to have to leave.

Yeah, look, there's a few reason's for that. To my mind, they're good reason but to others they may not be. Primarily I bought a computer to do work on. It was a tool and nothing more. Then I slowly bought some games (Diablo, Baldur's Gate, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, etc) and then I never did any work on it (digital art) which was its intended purpose.

So, the next time I upgraded my computer I vowed not to buy any more. At that point, most of the games didn't run properly on the newer OSs, so I didn't even have old games to play. The patches to make them work and would take forever to download on shitty dial up. So I didn't.

These days my decision is made for me. I live in a part of Brisbane/Ipswich (Springfield Lakes) which basically has no internet. There are a only few ports available in the area so my only option are dial up (which I only got rid of about 3 years ago) or USB wireless, which I have currently. 4gig doesn't go far and since most PC gaming is digital downloads, I really don't feel like going over my monthly limit just to get a game. When I hear that some games are 8 or 9gigs and that Steam automatically downloads patches for you, I don't think I'd ever get to use my internet for anything else.

As it stands, my consoles give me all the gaming love I need. On top of that, my PC gets used for it's intended purpose. If I'm not reading AusGAF, that is.

Choc

Banned
8.24am The ever-wide-eyed Matt Drudge at The Drudge Report has a link to this story, pointing out in a headline that over 100 pilot whales beached themselves off the south island the day before the quake

wow :eek:

Gazunta

evlcookie said:
That's what made me interested in the iPhone version, since it seemed like yourself, Gaz, Ag and i'm guessing a few others were playing as a leisurely pace
Some more leisurely than others.
sorry lads

Seriously it's worth it. I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time but am liking it.

Waikis

evlcookie said:
Specs rid. That's a nice clean build there!

It's still using my ye olde and trusty i7920 +p6t deluxe.
Added two 6970s.
And Im using ATCS 840 for the case.

This is what it looks w/o the side panel and with the blue fans removed.
cq0IZ.jpg

Rez said:
I have to admit, I would like to know what animal you think is sexiest. and please, justify your answer.

(thanks for taking the time to write all that up, welcome!)

Badgers. Don't know why, they just look like they'd be up for it.

breaktheicewithapoortastejoke.gif

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn why has a cough started to kick in, I thought i was over my cold. Maybe i should go home early and take the next 2 days off just to be sure. Stupid flus/colds.

Shaneus

legend166 said:
A few people from our work had a board game night a couple weeks ago (yes, there were women present).

I played Risk for the first time ever. I didn't win :(
No joke, I read that as "board game fight". That would be fucking incredible, a bunch of people playing Ludo before throwing their tokens at each other.

I miss board games :(

evlcookie said:
Damn why has a cough started to kick in, I thought i was over my cold. Maybe i should go home early and take the next 2 days off just to be sure. Stupid flus/colds.

Tell me about it, I just had to go to the chemist to grab some meds. Woke up this morning with mega head congestion and feeling like I want to vomit every 5 mins.

I really shouldn't be at work!

jambo said:

Note to self: Never mention my lack of PC Gaming ever again.

Note to everyone else: I <3 PC Gaming. I currently have all the games and play them regularly. My favourite one is the popular one which everyone is playing.

jambo

Planet_JASE said:
Badgers. Don't know why, they just look like they'd be up for it.

breaktheicewithapoortastejoke.gif
You know how much a Polar Bear weighs?

Enough to break the ice ;)

Also, I don't actually care about gaming platforms and all that. As well as my gaming PC, I have a PS3, a 360, a Wii, an iPad and I pre-ordered a 3DS. Gonna be picking up a NGP/PSP2 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom