• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Stackboy said:
Anyone else picking up Bulletstorm tomorrow? I'm pretty curious about it, getting good reviews and people are enjoying it.

Hell yes. Had a tedious day at uni - I forgot it was Market Day and the place would be crowded as fuck.

I'll trade in Bayonetta - a game I would never voluntarily play again.

Salazar

Rez said:
I had you pegged as a man with taste.

I don't know precisely why I thought I would like the game, as I've never genuinely liked a DMC game.

Bulletstorm looks as if it will cater to my cheap imagination and meagre skills.

Gazunta

I will be buying de Blob 2, since I like games with bright colours, a sense of humour and a positive setting.

Also you can jump off buildings in it.

legend166

The problem with you dudes not playing PC games is it means you most likely won't join us in Steam chat, which where the cool kids hang, dooming you to a life of on the bottom rung of the AusGAF social ladder.

Seriously though, welcome all.

On an actual serious topic, does anyone else feel as though the TV stations wished the earthquake happened in Australia? They are trying desperately to tie Australia into the disaster. It's disgusting.

Salazar

legend166 said:
The problem with you dudes not playing PC games is it means you most likely won't join us in Steam chat, which where the cool kids hang, dooming you to a life of on the bottom rung of the AusGAF social ladder.

On an actual serious topic, does anyone else feel as though the TV stations wished the earthquake happened in Australia? They are trying desperately to tie Australia into the disaster. It's disgusting.

Yo. Bottom rung represent.

I have been avoiding Australian television coverage of foreign disasters for quite some time - ABC and SBS being exceptions. The Channel 7 special "88 Seconds of Silence", commemorating the 88 Australians who died in the Bali bombing, and excluding the foreigners who also died, was the point at which I just thought "FUCK YOU". Motherfuckers are just not very clever and not very sensitive, which results in slow-motion montages of stolen footage with Snow Patrol over the top.

Dead Man

legend166 said:

Seriously though, welcome all.
I knew there was a reason I was on the bottom rung... I will now assume it is my lack of PC gaming cred due to my lack of gaming PC, rather than my lack of hygiene or social skills.
Yeah, but it is par for the course. Consider me sad but not surprised.

Salazar said:
Yo. Bottom rung represent.

I have been avoiding Australian television coverage of foreign disasters for quite some time - ABC and SBS being exceptions. The Channel 7 special "88 Seconds of Silence", commemorating the 88 Australians who died in the Bali bombing, and excluding the foreigners who also died, was the point at which I just thought "FUCK YOU". Motherfuckers are just not very clever and not very sensitive, which results in slow-motion montages of stolen footage with Snow Patrol over the top.
Missed that, and glad to.

legend166

Channel 9 spent about 10 minutes going around with the Australian rescue teams. Fair enough. But then at the end of the story, the reporter said something like:

"Soon, many more teams will fly in from all around the world, sure to be inspired by the work of the Australian Search and Rescue teams."

This isn't a time to say stuff like that.

Agyar

A reminder for BrisGAF people that the King George Square games night is on tomorrow from 5-9. Lots of different board games being played, so it's a good opportunity to check out new games from recent years.

I'm going to bring along Dominion, Race for the Galaxy and Citadels.

So I just resigned with optus, got a new Samsung Omnia 7 running on WP7, 79 bucks a month for a shitload of calls, 3gb data, free sms/free mms- and I got an Xbox 360 Slim + Kinect + that kinect game + forza 3 thrown in. Good day, self.

So I played Halo 3, I've mostly missed the boat on 360 titles. What should I get? I know i can't import (SIGH SIGH LE SIGH) so where are the cheapest places?

I've heard of some game called Deadly Premonitions or something that can be imported... is it that good?

Thanks friendly ausgaf :) :)

PS how was Fable 2, 3 and Alan Wake

PPS i'm asking here because I am afraid of the general topics on Xbox stuff

legend166 said:
Channel 9 spent about 10 minutes going around with the Australian rescue teams. Fair enough. But then at the end of the story, the reporter said something like:

"Soon, many more teams will fly in from all around the world, sure to be inspired by the work of the Australian Search and Rescue teams."

This isn't a time to say stuff like that.

What a dick. I barely ever watch FTA news other than ABC News 24 (of course), oh and occasionally laughing at the current affairs prorgams but I'm not sure that counts.
Incidentally, ABC's The Drum just released an article that covers some of the issues with the media that we are complaining about; http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/23/3146945.htm

teacupcopter said:
PS how was Fable 2, 3 ...

Haven't played 3 since it's release, not sure if they patched it so that the frame-rate didn't die every so often, and fixed the texture pop-in. If they have fixed those issues then I'd recommend it. I still enjoyed 2 more but that might have been because I found 3 to be a bit, more of the same. Fable 2 I really did love though; I found the world so charming. Also despite the expected Molyneuxism I actually liked the dog. Sure every so often you'll just want to get some where and you dog starts barking that he has found a digsite but overall i found him a nice addition to the world.

MrSerrels

Gazunta said:
I will be buying de Blob 2, since I like games with bright colours, a sense of humour and a positive setting.

Also you can jump off buildings in it.

What I've played of the game so far is a crazy amount of fun.

I'm so pumped for de Blob 2. The more footage I see of it the more I'm convinced that it will be the perfect "unwind after a stressful day at work" game.

Agyar said:
A reminder for BrisGAF people that the King George Square games night is on tomorrow from 5-9.

Fuck, why can't I live in Brisbane? Booo.

Shaneus

Funny thing to share from my FB, figured I'd post it here first (zomg exclusive):
eGs0f.jpg

From the Christchurch earthquake... I do believe that's weed! :lol

Edit: De Blob 2... only just cottoning on now, looks the shiz. Out of PS3 or 360, which should I get? Are there any Move/Kinect controls?

Bernbaum

Shaneus said:
Funny thing to share from my FB, figured I'd post it here first (zomg exclusive):
eGs0f.jpg

From the Christchurch earthquake... I do believe that's weed! :lol

Edit: De Blob 2... only just cottoning on now, looks the shiz. Out of PS3 or 360, which should I get? Are there any Move/Kinect controls?

The move supports it, and that's how I'll be playing it.

justin.au said:
I bought de Blob ~2 years ago and haven't played it yet.

Am I a bad person?
It's a great game but the sequel improves it in all the ways it needed to.

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
teacupcopter said:
PS how was Fable 2, 3 and Alan Wake

PPS i'm asking here because I am afraid of the general topics on Xbox stuff

fwiw, i though fable 2 was awesome, fable 3 looked terrible watching what my roommate played of it, and i really enjoyed alan wake and both the dlc episodes that came out.

Lots of interesting Dragon Age tactics. I played as a mage with nature (fire, ice, lightning mostly) spells, using Alastair, Sten and Dog (Dogmeat), then later Shale to hold back most of the forces. I found in the later stages of the game I ended up mostly sitting back, throwing the occasional area effect spell (inferno, tempest, etc) and healing as needed. I didn't find that nearly as interesting in the middle of the game as when I didn't have to focus on healing as much. Potions ended up being pretty scarce right at the end which also accounted for it. I had maybe 10 healing potions for the final battle but managed to scrape through. I never ended up having Wynne in my party... I guess she was a good NPC? The cone of cold (or whatever) spell was particularly useful in later stages.

The most difficult part I found was
as an elf, at the end having to fight solo in the alienage with five guards chasing me. As a mage it was nearly impossible and a pain to win -- in the end I ran circles, waiting for mana to restore before throwing the occasional spell out

I find playing as a mage in the early to mid stages of most RPGs is usually way more difficult than playing as some sort of mindless hack and slash guy.

teacupcopter said:
I know i can't import (SIGH SIGH LE SIGH) so where are the cheapest places?
Sure you can import... PAL games at least. Try ozgameshop.com, zavvi.com, play-asia.com (PAL games only), startupmedia.co.uk all sell games hellishly cheap. Particularly if you don't need the latest stuff, or things quickly (expect two weeks on average).

What sort of stuff do you like? Hard to recommend otherwise.

Mar

MooseKnuckles said:
Hey AusGAF, another new junior here, I don't play PC games but i hope we can still be friends
I think pc-ausgaf is over represented. A minority shouts the loudest!

Choc

Banned
#notshitjournalism

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/23/3146945.htm

quotes

The relationship between media and victims is so often plainly exploitative. Look no further than this afternoon's News Limited websites, the Herald Sun and the Daily Telegraph. Both featured screen-wide images of a family, a father and two children, moments after they had been told there was no hope that their mother could have survived the crushing impact of the quake.

All three are caught by the camera in a frozen spasm of grief. It is torture to see. It is an extraordinary intrusion ... a stolen moment of agony that has nothing to do with any of us. The news agencies that flog the image have nothing to offer these people in return. No empathy, no support, merely a momentary exploitation of sorrow in the hope the image might arrest the passing internet eye and draw traffic. Grotesque.

read the rest, its an amazing read by a proper journalist.

Discuss.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mar said:

PC gamers discuss gaming more than console gamers, Master race still confirmed.

In all honesty i would say there's a balance between ausgaf console and pc gamers. Most of those on the PC side own consoles as well but the PC is their main system. 20+ in steam chat is nice, shows a good little community still going.

Salazar

Choc said:

It's true. There's absolutely no need for these media outlets to flock like they do, except for competition against each other. Which looks pretty fucking pathetic when you look even a little closely.

The really exciting and valuable news is coming from academic surveys:

According to the survey, racist hotspots in Australia tended to be in areas that had economic hardship, recent immigration and below-average education levels.

I want a refund on the research grant, dispersed at random: it cannot conceivably be spent to less benefit than this.

rass

choc, I'm positive someone posted that not long ago

It's a good read, and it resonates fairly well with how I feel about the situation, and why I don't watch the 'news' programs on tv.

legend166

Yeah, I don't know anyone in AusPCGAF that doesn't also game on their console. I'm a total Nintendo fanboy, and I own a PS3 and play games on my brothers 360.

Heck, I've been pushing de Blob 2 and it's not even on PC.

justin.au

I can't watch any on-going media coverage of events anymore. Despite the fact that there is a whole lot of thumb-twiddling between new snippets of information every half hour, it really feels too voyeuristic and exploitative.

Did anyone else see CH7's "Countdown to Yasi"? I was waiting for the cricket to come back on so I was channel surfing and in the corner of the CH7 broadcast is a timer counting down the seconds until Cyclone Yasi was expected to make landfall. I can't exactly explain why, but that made me so fucking angry.

Salazar

hamchan said:
I got PS3, 360, Wii, DS, PSP. Oh a PC too I guess.

I sold my DS and PSP, and gave my Wii to my brother.

Probably going to pick up a 3DS - but my iPad seems to be playing the portable role pretty splendidly. Motherfucking Tiny Wings took up quite a bit of this morning.

CryptiK

Got one of these: LG LED LCD TV ordered will be coming next week :D interest free for the win. Oh how I love my promotion and how awesome it feels from going to someone that was almost always in dept to someone who is in front of everything :D

MrSerrels

Choc said:
#notshitjournalism

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/23/3146945.htm

quotes

The relationship between media and victims is so often plainly exploitative. Look no further than this afternoon's News Limited websites, the Herald Sun and the Daily Telegraph. Both featured screen-wide images of a family, a father and two children, moments after they had been told there was no hope that their mother could have survived the crushing impact of the quake.

All three are caught by the camera in a frozen spasm of grief. It is torture to see. It is an extraordinary intrusion ... a stolen moment of agony that has nothing to do with any of us. The news agencies that flog the image have nothing to offer these people in return. No empathy, no support, merely a momentary exploitation of sorrow in the hope the image might arrest the passing internet eye and draw traffic. Grotesque.

Discuss.

This morning I was in the airport, and a guy was being interviewed. His mother was lost in the wreckage, presumed dead.

The interview was bad enough - manipulative, patronising, shit - at one point the interviewee said something about not holding out much hope, and the interviewer was like "miracles happen you know." I thought, 'shut up you twat - you can't say shit to this guy.'

Anyway - he finishes the interview, pretty much pushes the guy away from the camera, then goes on to state - I shit you not – that it was "a great story". He actually said those words. It was almost as if they pulled back the curtain and gave us a view of what this kind of coverage really represents.

The way the media is constantly in search of big numbers - big headline numbers they can run in the front page, chuck on their side bars, whatever - winds me up no end as well. You can see the disappointment when the number is smaller than they hoped.

That piece was great. Needed to be said I reckon.

rass

CryptiK said:
Got one of these: LG LED LCD TV ordered will be coming next week :D interest free for the win. Oh how I love my promotion and how awesome it feels from going to someone that was almost always in dept to someone who is in front of everything :D
that is a sexy tv man.

Salazar

I suspect the Kiwi rescue services bloke (can't remember which service) calling off a search on the news came off as badly as he did because he'd been harassed by media. The one who said "I'm not risking my staff for people with no chance of survivability". There's the possibility (I'd say fact) that the dude just has no media skills, because you just don't say it like that. I imagine that he'd been dealing with Sunrise fuckwits, though.

codswallop said:
Sure you can import... PAL games at least. Try ozgameshop.com, zavvi.com, play-asia.com (PAL games only), startupmedia.co.uk all sell games hellishly cheap. Particularly if you don't need the latest stuff, or things quickly (expect two weeks on average).

What sort of stuff do you like? Hard to recommend otherwise.

I just assumed it wouldn't save me much money :) Thanks for the sites.

TBH anything that might have flown under the radar, or can be had for cheap. Stuff like Halo, Devil May Cry, etc I know about. I also own a PC that I game on so if a PC version is better then dont' worry. I also have a PS3 I know this really narrows it down :p

I was thinking Bayonetta, I never picked it up on PS3 because I heard the port was arse.

legend166 said:
Yeah, I don't know anyone in AusPCGAF that doesn't also game on their console. I'm a total Nintendo fanboy, and I own a PS3 and play games on my brothers 360.

Heck, I've been pushing de Blob 2 and it's not even on PC.

evlcookie said:
PC gamers discuss gaming more than console gamers, Master race still confirmed.

In all honesty i would say there's a balance between ausgaf console and pc gamers. Most of those on the PC side own consoles as well but the PC is their main system. 20+ in steam chat is nice, shows a good little community still going.

Mar said:

Dead Man said:
I knew there was a reason I was on the bottom rung... I will now assume it is my lack of PC gaming cred due to my lack of gaming PC, rather than my lack of hygiene or social skills.

A Million other AusGAFers said:
Something something for or against PC Gaming no I do you suck PC isn't elite it's just better no you aren't consoles are better thank you something something something what the fuck did I go and start

You know, I like to think that I say a lot of thought provoking, intelligent things that cause others to share their similarly intelligent, thought provoking thoughts and feelings. I was under the impression that I had made - at the very least - a passable job at representing myself as such.

So, like, my one comment about not gaming on my PC is the one thing that really flamed the conversational fires for you all, huh?

Fine work, Jason. Fine work...

Bernbaum

Yoshiya

Rez said:
I, for one, am ashamed.
Everything is improved by the addition of Fry, you included it seems. I really have to get back to The Fry Chronicles or it'll be another book that's forever doomed to be half read.

teekun

All this PC gaming chat reminds me, I need an invite to Steam AUSGAF. Somebody let me in!

Got a new laptop last week and I've been PC gaming more than I have in probably the last 5 years combined. I've got a ton of catching up to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom