• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
teekun said:
All this PC gaming chat reminds me, I need an invite to Steam AUSGAF. Somebody let me in!

Got a new laptop last week and I've been PC gaming more than I have in probably the last 5 years combined. I've got a ton of catching up to do.
We really need to make anyone able to invite. Or public, but that could cause problems.

I think I'm on the last legs of Mass Effect. I'm grounded and running around finishing up any side quests I forgot to do or plain put off doing in the Citadel. I'm not terribly fussed if I don't finish all my final Citadel ones since I plan on doing a second, maybe third run depending on if I managed to finish as a renegade, more on-purpose through as a Paragon. This is the first game in a long time that's made me want to replay it.

I've really, really enjoyed the game so far. If someone hasn't played it, in any way, do it. Mass Effect 2 can only improve it. I'm not usually a fan of RPG-anything games, so this has been a pretty fun ride. I've played about 3 hours of ME2 and anyone who says to skip Mass Effect 1 and just focus on the second is kidding themselves. The story is compelling, the dialogue is funny more often than I had thought and the choices I've made have put me though a serious thought process each time. This is also the first game I actually care about the lore in. When I played WoW I never cared more than the limited backstory for each expansions big boss. I sat in the logs for half an hour in the middle of a mission, just listening the codex. It's glorious.

I've had a few issues with the game too, however. I can't comment on Ilos but the Benezia fight, particularly the second part, was very buggy and I died multiple times due to falling off the platform while limp. The dialogue choice sometimes indicates the conversation will cool down, (
'Calm down, Wrex.'
), but then out of nowhere it escalates (
Ashley shoots Wrex. In the back of the head. Dirty bitch.
). I was in shock when that happened, as those in Steam chat know. Good thing I had a back up save.

Still, the game is very amazing and I can't wait to play ME2 and replay ME.

McDongs Shepard.

Gazunta said:
Originally Posted by Planet_JASE: said:
My first quasi-gaming machine was a Commodore

6526_3.gif

Originally Posted by Planet_JASE: said:

6526_2.gif

Yes, I know. this was perhaps my first experience at nerd shame. "My family just bought a Commodore [friend's face start to look shocked and impressed] VIC-20 [friends start to laugh and point]. Screw you pricks, I'm going to go and type out a shite game. And you're not allow to come over in a few hours once I've finished typing it out, saving it, loading it, fixed the typos and then be utterly disappointed with it later on. Suck on that, bitches"

Yep, some lonely years, they were...

Bernbaum said:
So new junior peoples, if you could please satisfy my curiosity, did you frequent this thread often as a lurker and if so, what kept you reading? Was the local game issues, or the frequent off-topic discussion and politics etc...

It looks like the majority of you signed up for NeoGAF before this thread got moved to 'Online/Community' and well before the Online section was opened up to non-members.

I've touched on this slightly but I can't stand by and see a curious mind be unanswered.

I originally found NeoGAF when someone made a comment that referred to forum called NeoGAF. I think it was with regards to a news item that had been posted on the Gaming board. I searched and found this site. From there I did started reading the site daily and found this thread.

I was initially taken by the local discussion about games; their price, 18+ rating and the general state of the industry in our fair nation. While there are other boards that solely exist for Australians they never felt welcoming and the majority of posters always came off as a bunch of elitist knobs; always espousing about why other people's opinion was wrong, how such-and-such was awesome and therefore they were, as a result.

Here, everyone seemed to be very genuine, there was a sense of everyone enjoying each others opinions, even when didn't agree with it. In fact, sometimes it seemed like it was the very thing this board thrived off of. Apart from the odd occasion, there never seemed to be any hostility about having an opposing viewpoint even if the discussion became heated. That seemed vary rare to me. Not just on the internet but in life, too.

I don't know, this thread just seemed very different to anything I had ever been to before and I wanted to be a part of it. I can't say I'll ever get involved in the sports discussions (unless we wish to talk NBA), I never really get into politics much (it's not that I'm political, it's just that I feel that Labour/LNP are pretty much the same party, will do exactly the same thing if they were in power but will oppose the things they would have done if they are the opposition because that's what the opposition does.) but I do need somewhere to talk about games and life in general. Also, this might be the outlet I need to get back in drawing as kritz and Gazunta have inspired me on a few occasions.

This thread is the very reason I signed up and waited a year of so for approval. I wanted to be a part of it, had it cruelly stripped from me when it went to the Online section, was given back and now have been allowed in.

If that story of trial, tribulation and overcoming the odds doesn't have "Sunday night telemovie of the week" written all over it, I don't know what does.

Having said that, let me smoothly segue to this: whatever happened to the Sunday night new release movie of the week? Did Channel 10 kill it? I remember everyone used to vie for the number 1 rating position via that 8:30 time slot but it seems to have disappeared. Strangely, the other stations started using that time slot for episodic series around the time that 10 broke the mold with their... was it crime night? A whole bunch of Law & Order shows back to back? Seriously, I can't beleive that's what did it.

So, yeah, random thought to finish off the post.

Omikron

Planet_JASE said:
You know, I like to think that I say a lot of thought provoking, intelligent things that cause others to share their similarly intelligent, thought provoking thoughts and feelings. I was under the impression that I had made - at the very least - a passable job at representing myself as such.

So, like, my one comment about not gaming on my PC is the one thing that really flamed the conversational fires for you all, huh?

Fine work, Jason. Fine work...

As long as you accept you are a lower class, you and everyone else will get along just fine I imagine.

Omikron

Planet_JASE said:
I will admit that I'm a lower class but vow never to get along with anyone else. Y'hear me?
Nicely done ;)

PS> Listening to the new Radiohead album for the first time, already 1 song in and wanna turn it off. I feel like this has been done before.

Choc

Banned
golly gosh

SUNRISE host admits tweeting "time to sleep like the dead" while covering Christchurch tragedy was a "poor choice of words".

Omi said:
Pity they used all that shitty fast cutting and post processing to prevent you getting a decent look.
Agreed. The short scene running down the alley looks freaking gorgeous though. If that's what we can expect, I'm interested again. I played way too much Battlefield 2.

Hmm, I'd need to download at 2MB/s to use all my Internet usage for the remainder of this month... my connection maxes out at about 1.5MB/s. D'oh.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The BF3 trailer did look outstanding, at least from a graphics and animation point of view. It's a shame the cuts were so short, some lengthy gameplay would have been nice.

I look forward to upgrading my PC in 5 months time. 8 cores ahoy!

Omi said:
Nicely done ;)

PS> Listening to the new Radiohead album for the first time, already 1 song in and wanna turn it off. I feel like this has been done before.

Agreed. Very underwhelmed after my first listen, too.

Listening to band's evolving always leaves me conflicted. I don't deny them the right to change and grow but sometimes we grow in different directions. Radiohead probably peaked (for me, personally) around The Bends and Ok Computer. Since then, I can usually only find 1 or 2 tracks per album that really impress me; the reast aren't horrible, they just don't evoke much in me, is all. In Rainbow was the better of their last few CDs but this one seems... meh? that's really the only word I have for it right now. Maybe my enjoyment will increase over time.

Omikron

Turned off after 2 songs....now onto listening to Black Sabbath starting with their self titled debut 8) It is going to be a good morning.

Fuck it, I've become one of those annoying people who go to work sick.

I really should have stayed home today, but the thought of having to catch up on everything tomorrow was too much.

Also, de Blob 2 is out today which is a reason to be near shops I guess

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if your heart doesn't MELT the second you hear that acoustic guitar in How to Disappear Completely, I, for one, want nothing to do with you, Cyborg

Bernbaum

BanShunsaku said:
Fuck it, I've become one of those annoying people who go to work sick.

I really should have stayed home today, but the thought of having to catch up on everything tomorrow was too much.

Also, de Blob 2 is out today which is a reason to be near shops I guess
I watched the GB QL and now I'm on the fence about playing it on 360 on the good TV or PS3 with Move on the not-so-good TV. At its heart, I still think it's spiritually a Wii game, but hot-damn if it doesn't look nice and crisp in HD.

I have a major professional milestone today, and depending how I feel when I walk out the door at 5, I may yet pick up Kirby or Killzone instead.

Speaking of GB, the guys at Nnooo seem to be taking it to heart. For those who don't listen to the Bombcast, their ‘myNotebook’ software on DSiWare is a bit of a running joke on the state of what’s on offer on the Nintendo Store. I know the guys from Nnooo, and it has been their business model to create relatively cheap to produce but accessible software like myNotebook in order to open up channels with Nintendo and use the revenue to fund real games. This week they announced their WiiWare game escapeVektor which is much more in line with the kind of games they want to produce.

Mar

Planet_JASE said:
You know, I like to think that I say a lot of thought provoking, intelligent things that cause others to share their similarly intelligent, thought provoking thoughts and feelings. I was under the impression that I had made - at the very least - a passable job at representing myself as such.

So, like, my one comment about not gaming on my PC is the one thing that really flamed the conversational fires for you all, huh?

Fine work, Jason. Fine work...

I'll give you a tip about GAF. The forum moves so fast, there are so many posters and so much content to consume, that if your post contains more than a paragraph or two people will just scan and pick out what catches their eye.

The PC and console debate also happens to be a sticking point on this forum because PC gamers are as passionate as any platform bias group but also have the backing of the mods and owner of the forum. It's a very one sided argument from a small group of people.

As for the new Radiohead album. I thought I was done with Radiohead but after 3 listens I loved the new one. The first listens response was "well this is boring". But I gave it a chance.

Mar said:
As for the new Radiohead album. The first listens response was "well this is boring". But I gave it a chance.
Frankly, I'd say that with most Radiohead songs (dull at first, more listening improves most of them).

legend166

Tracks 5-8 on The King of Limbs is a 4 song run as good as any other Radiohead album. Stopping at track 2 is criminal. Codex is like The Pyramid Song Part Deux, and it's awesome.

The album has actually grown on me a lot. I really like it. I'm still disappointed by its length though, and I don't think that will ever go away. In that sense I'm still sticking by my initial position - if this is all we get for the next 3 years, I'll be very disappointed. But if we get something else in the next 6-12 months, ala Amnesiac, I'll probably look at The King of Limbs much more fondly.

jambo

I found the new Radiohead album rather nice on the first listen, but I was at work so I didn't really hear all the little nuances and quiet parts of the songs. Gonna chill out on my bed on the weekend with the album and my cans, really get lost in it.

Also, Planet_JASE being redeemed now lies solely with which code of sport he follows and then which team he supports.

hamchan

Planet_JASE said:
Agreed. Very underwhelmed after my first listen, too.

Listening to band's evolving always leaves me conflicted. I don't deny them the right to change and grow but sometimes we grow in different directions. Radiohead probably peaked (for me, personally) around The Bends and Ok Computer. Since then, I can usually only find 1 or 2 tracks per album that really impress me; the reast aren't horrible, they just don't evoke much in me, is all. In Rainbow was the better of their last few CDs but this one seems... meh? that's really the only word I have for it right now. Maybe my enjoyment will increase over time.

Yep, agreed over here too after listening to it a few times. This one seems kinda boring and it's not evoking any reaction from me at all. Seems to be a rather divisive album with a lot of people either loving it or finding it just not that good.

I'm going to go back and listen to the good old Ok Computer days.

Kritz

Banned
Problem with the BF3 trailer for me was that almost all of it was showing off scripted mocapped events. I don't really see what's so special about scenes like that looking good.

They also show like, half a second of someone actually playing the game, shooting a Call of Duty gun.

Question: do soldiers actually use red dot sights to the same level as they do in video games? I always imagined it was mostly iron sights or longer range scopes. But I have no idea.

legend166

For people that don't like Kid A/Amnesiac, my suggestion is to go listen to those songs live.

I've got an AMAZING concert they did about 4 months before Kid A came out. From Kid A/Amnesiac they played:

Optimistic
Morning Bell
National Anthem
In Limbo
Kid A
You and Whose Army
How to Disappear Completely
Everything In Its Right Place
Pyramid Song
Knives out

I might zip it up and chuck it on Mega Upload or something. I guarantee you'll like those songs after hearing them live.

jambo

I love live concerts, I have thousands of recordings, but I never really liked Radiohead live. There's just something that doesn't sit well with me when I listen to them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
legend166 said:
I might zip it up and chuck it on Mega Upload or something. I guarantee you'll like those songs after hearing them live.
I'd appreciate this!

giri

Mar said:
I'll give you a tip about GAF. The forum moves so fast, there are so many posters and so much content to consume, that if your post contains more than a paragraph or two people will just scan and pick out what catches their eye.

The PC and console debate also happens to be a sticking point on this forum because PC gamers are as passionate as any platform bias group but also have the backing of the mods and owner of the forum. It's a very one sided argument from a small group of people.

As for the new Radiohead album. I thought I was done with Radiohead but after 3 listens I loved the new one. The first listens response was "well this is boring". But I gave it a chance.
Pfft, showing bias again.

Choc

Banned
up down left right chu chu chu

how the fuck is there not a new version of this on kinect? honestly sega, you are MISSING OUT.

Agyar

Kritz said:
Question: do soldiers actually use red dot sights to the same level as they do in video games? I always imagined it was mostly iron sights or longer range scopes. But I have no idea.

Probably depends a lot on the unit and weapon but I believe the most common sights used by US infantry are non-battery powered optical sights. The reflex sights are widely distributed but I don't think they're on every second gun like Call of Duty or whatever would have you believe.

Agyar

Kritz said:
Uni done for the day… wonder if I should find the bar.

Are bars open at noon? They should be.

The bar at my Uni opened at 10am when I was there, which was particularly handy as that's when 8am lectures finished.

legend166 said:
A non-PC gamer who doesn't like Kid A?

You're on the wrong side of the tracks here, planet_JASE.
No, it's not that I don't like Kid A, it's more that if I choose to listen to a Radiohead album it's more likely to be The Bends or Ok Computer. However, I usually end up listening to Amnesiac or Kid A because my playlist is organised by artist but I rarely choose to just listen to one of those albums.

Just to be clear, though, I have yet to dislike a Radiohead album.

Omi said:
Can all be redeemed if he likes roundball. ;)
Oh dear...

Me said:
I can't say I'll ever get involved in the sports discussions (unless we wish to talk NBA)
Probably not the roundball you were referring to...

Rez said:
if your heart doesn't MELT the second you hear that acoustic guitar in How to Disappear Completely, I, for one, want nothing to do with you, Cyborg
My heart was not programmed to melt upon hearing that song. I has been coded with a deep appreciation for the musical algorhyths contained within it.

Mar said:
That's cool, I was mainly mocking myself in that post. I have a bad habit of writing very long brain dumps and an even worse habid of bad, terrible, often poor taste one liners. There seems to be no middle ground.

Mar said:
The sad part about this whole thing is that I litterally have no opinion about PC Gaming when it comes to a yes/no position. I've chosen not to because I would prefer to not be constantly tempted by games when I'm on my PC and for no other reason (except maybe the whole crappy internet thing). I like healthy, intelligent debate so I'll leave that for others that actually have an informed opinion.

Mar said:
Oh yeah, I'm still going to give it a chance but at this point, while I had it playing it didn't grab me. I think I may have first really noticed it around track 5 or 6.

legend166 said:
Tracks 5-8 on The King of Limbs is a 4 song run as good as any other Radiohead album. Stopping at track 2 is criminal. Codex is like The Pyramid Song Part Deux, and it's awesome.
That probably explains the piquing of my interest at around track 5 or 6.

jambo said:
Also, Planet_JASE being redeemed now lies solely with which code of sport he follows and then which team he supports.
It's. Not. Looking. Good.

Agyar

If this is how you all really feel about things like computers, sport and opinions I can only assume I'm viewed as some kind of AusGAF pariah.

Choc said:
either NRL Bulldogs or AFL Collingwood im guessing

Me? If so, I'm take bets that no one will ever be able to guess which teams I support*

*hint: none.

PS- to keep all you bastards happy I'm currently in the process of listening to Kid A, Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief. No, no... I want to. I said no. No, it's for my own good. ;)
I'm using smileys until I think you all know that I'm joking, not being an arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom