• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
HolyCheck said:
ffs, utorrent didnt shut down properly when I went out lastnight.

it was running in the background but not visible anywhere.. 15gig downloaded :( now im out of internet for 1.5 weeks

Why didn't you setup utorrent to only download during certain times? and seed or do nothing during other times? It's in the prefs.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
evlcookie said:
Why didn't you setup utorrent to only download during certain times? and seed or do nothing during other times? It's in the prefs.

because usually I just open utorrent towards the end of the month and use up everything thats left

fucking jinros playing tonight fucking fuck,.

Bernbaum said:
My perception, and correct me if I’m wrong, is that Joe Beercan buys the expensive video game thing because of that one game he wants to play ... the sheer volume of titles consumed by an AusGAF schmuck demands an eye for thriftiness.
I'd agree with that. And add plenty of people who are regular, but not "core" (ugh) gamers into the mix as well. If you're not gaming frequently, the occasional $100 isn't a big deal.

Bernbaum said:
One thing I’ve noticed that isn’t all that new is an initially cheaper sticker price on launch weekend followed by a mark-up ... incentivised approach what with the pre-order doll for manbabbies and whatnot.
Since most prices are set by the distributor/publisher, retailers are selling at the low price mainly as a loss leader. They may not actually lose money, but people interested in buying the latest COD would probably think EB or similar for new games, but when Kmart advertises it ten bucks cheaper, of course they'll go there instead and while they're there, why not pick some other tchotchke?

The pre-order thing is something the EB and JB type stores need to secure gamers' business, because they know we're all fickle tightarses who will look at the price tag unless there's some other differentiating factor.

Bernbaum said:
Kinda like heroine addiction.
Like Catwoman?

Bernbaum said:
Here’s an idea would like some opinions on-

‘Does the inevitable 2-3 month price drop for new release titles influence buying habits at retail?’

I don't know if this is exactly the answer you are after but the answer is 'yes' for me insomuch as I no longer buy from retail... unless some store is doing an insane price. Even then, though, I might as well wait for an even better deal.

Right now, I really can't justify $100 on a game. I know that sounds stupid because I'll turn around and buy 3 or 4 games at a time for that amount but that's the entire reason. I'm at the point in my life where I need to maximize my dollars as far as they can go. I've been taking advantage of the current situation in the possible event that the dollar falls and it's no longer viable to import. The way I see it, I could quite happily exist off of my current backlog for a very long time in the event of the dollar or my financial situation changing for the worse.

Not only that but games have to compete with the cost per hour of other entertainment, like books. Books are a far more efficient cost per hour form of entertainment for me, more so since I started buying them from overseas.

So, my current stance on games is that "I don't need to play it now." I preordered one game this year, and I've yet to really spend any time with it. This cemented my stance that I have enough games to last me until the price drops, then I'll leap on it once it hits the sub-18 pound mark. Playing a game because it 'just came out' no longer sways my mind. I don't need to play it now now now. I'll enjoy when I'm ready to enjoy it.

Even before I found out about buying games from the UK I had moved away from buying games when they were new. When I did, I found out that I could actually buy them new for less than the post-new-release-local-discounted price.

Then I found out that if I waited long enough (in some cases only 3 weeks - see Dead Space 2 UK prices) I could buy a game for under $50 but most usually sub-$30. Seriously, unless it's a multiplayer game that you would want to play while there are people left on the servers (and my lack of uber-internet means that I usually gravitate towards single player games) I don't understand why anyone would pay $100.

No, really, I'd like to know why people would do this? If I can play the same game, have the same experience as you but just wait 4 weeks and save $70 I don't see why someone would choose otherwise.

Planet_JASE said:
No, really, I'd like to know why people would do this? If I can play the same game, have the same experience as you but just wait 4 weeks and save $70 I don't see why someone would choose otherwise.
Because that's what they think games cost. They're also the people who keep Sanity and other CD stores in business. It's what they're used to, it's convenient, you can have it now and you don't have to trawl dozens of websites that seem "unsafe".

And besides, a lot of games have a relatively short multiplayer life. If I can only play a game for two or three months in multiplayer before people move onto the next big thing (or back to COD, whatever), then it's in my best interests to get a game as early as I can because I'll actually get more use out of it. Not that this reflects my buying patterns, but I think the logic is sound.

I bought a portable air-conditioner earlier this year (I know it sounds like "I had an onion on my belt, it was the style at the time," but bear with me) and because I really don't give a shit about air-conditioners, I walked into a store, saw one I saw at a price I figured was reasonable, and bought it. People only shop around to things that are important to them.

Gazunta

Further to Codswallop's point, this is the entirety of my conversation with the local car dealer when I bought my car last year:

Me: Do you sell small cars?
Dealer: Certainly, we have a wide variety of --
Me: Do you sell small cars that are blue?
Dealer: You can get them in blue, absolutely, now if you--
Me: Here is some cash money. I want a small blue car please.

Took me an hour all up, didn't even test drive the thing. It was small, it was blue, my interest in cars pretty much maxed out at those two points.

He's right, most people don't care that you can get games cheaper elsewhere, no matter how many options you present to them.

Choc

Banned
hot box art is hot

47847.jpg

Mar

codswallop said:
And besides, a lot of games have a relatively short multiplayer life. If I can only play a game for two or three months in multiplayer before people move onto the next big thing (or back to COD, whatever), then it's in my best interests to get a game as early as I can because I'll actually get more use out of it. Not that this reflects my buying patterns, but I think the logic is sound.

Yeah, that's the big one, and why Microsoft and Sony aren't as stupid as they look.

Getting a game day 1 is important in todays 'always on' social networking. You want it immediately so you can take part in all the conversations, the editorial, the podcasts, and yeah, the multiplayer. In 4 weeks time there's a possibility the multiplayer has died off and you've already had the ending spoiled a week prior, and the GAF thread is no longer on the front page and no one cares.

Nintendo.. Well, those guys are idiots.

jambo

So not only does Bulletstorm on PC have encrypted .INI files, it's also locked to 62 fps AND has hidden aim-assist turned on by default.

smh

Cohsae

jambo said:
So not only does Bulletstorm on PC have encrypted .INI files, it's also locked to 62 fps AND has hidden aim-assist turned on by default.

smh
Wow. I mean no doubt someone will crack it but goddam that's some GTAIV PC levels of lameness. Actually it's probably worse if I'm understanding this correctly.

Salazar

jambo said:

smh

The cosmos intended that I not buy it. My hand was drawn to Killzone 3 by forces beyond our understanding or reproach.

I still suck at shooters. To the extent that I beam like a cretin whenever I kill someone - anyone at all, even by blasting them in the back.

jambo

My mate has a triple 120hz monitor set up and the PC power to back it up, but he'll never be able to run Bulletstorm properly at 120fps unless PCF/Epic fix it.

Kirby102

Cohsae said:
Why if it isn't our old friend Mr. Blue and Orange.
CANNOT UNSEE ONCE AGAINN FFUUU- :p

So Tiny Wings ey? I know it's the wrong thread, but I've been on this like a boss. So simple, and getting the timing right arrgh XD

Jeffdawg

Neo Member
Hi there AusGAF, another junior joining the ranks. I don't game nearly as often as I did when I first registered, moving mostly towards mobile gaming on iOS due to convenience/price but I still enjoy playing a few big new releases, particularly from key franchises (POKEMON!!!).

Kirby102 said:
CANNOT UNSEE ONCE AGAINN FFUUU- :p

So Tiny Wings ey? I know it's the wrong thread, but I've been on this like a boss. So simple, and getting the timing right arrgh XD

Couldn't agree more with this. Might just topple Drop 7 as my favourite game on the platform. Between this and Crosslogic (a pretty decent Picross clone), my gaming needs will be satisfied for the immediate future.

hamchan

Fark, that Elder Scrolls trailer is amazing. Why does Dragon Age 2 look like poo when ESV and The Witcher 2 can pump out amazing looking things?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

Tonight around 8pm EST, Andrew mOOnGLaDe Pender is playing in the GSL, an Australian, from brisbane!

get on and watch it, instructions are all in the thread! (click the images to go there!)

post and cheer! Steam chat will no doubt be discussing it!

legend166

viciouskillersquirrel said:
OH MY GOD! WE'RE HAVING A FIRE..... sale:

http://shop.ebay.com.au/vicious_killer_squirrel/m.html

Selling:

M-06 Guitar Chord Software
Disgaea DS
Dragon Quest V DS
Okamiden
LoZ:OoT Master Quest
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami PS2
De Blob
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
No More Heroes

Thought some of you might be interested.

I bid on DQV.

It's my early planning for a game to play on the plane to Europe.

rass

edit - VKS, I'm watching De Blob and OoT: Master Quest. Will probably crumble and buy.

I actually shed a single tear while looking at the new macbook pros. If only I had some semblance of financial management, I could probably afford to upgrade :'(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
rass said:
I actually shed a single tear while looking at the new macbook pros. If only I had some semblance of financial management, I could probably afford to upgrade :'(

Really? I looked at it and i thought there was nothing special about this update. It's just a small speed boost, Nothing to get too excited about to be honest. If you ever wanted to make your macbook go faster, Buy an SSD and enjoy that for the next few years.

rass

evlcookie said:
Really? I looked at it and i thought there was nothing special about this update. It's just a small speed boost, Nothing to get too excited about to be honest. If you ever wanted to make your macbook go faster, Buy an SSD and enjoy that for the next few years.
If my MBP went any faster I think it would catch fire. Heats up like a bitch, sounds like a plane taking off when I import a full card into lightroom. How much is a half decent 128GB SSD? Though... I could get a 64gb SSD and replace my optical drive, which has some kind of spasm when I wake my comp from sleep.

I dunno man, having a battery that actually lasts would be fantastic. I get an hour to an hour and a half browsing the net wirelessly on my <1 year old battery.

If I had the finances I'd trade up every 2/3 years. Still using an MBP 2,1 (late 2006). I guess I'm just overdue for an update so everything excites me.

Shaneus

Damn, a bunch of nice shit has come out for me to buy and not play this week. Bulletstorm (though will probably avoid until PC version is ungimped), de Blob 2... shit, that's it. Maybe I'll just power through Just Cause 2 again this weekend... or attempt to, until I get distracted by dragging militants behind me with the grappling hook.

I beat Mass Effect last night, putting my finished games for Feb at 2, with Mafia 2 and this done. Enjoyed it. HolyCheck made me wish I did all most of my decisions differently. I may do another run, with a different class. Who knows. I really enjoyed soldier.

Choc

Banned
a tv show last night attracted

876 viewers in sydney

76 in Perth

zero viewers in adelaide and melbourne

and it was on a major paytv channel

lols

show is called park street

Bernbaum

Megadrive said:
I beat Mass Effect last night, putting my finished games for Feb at 2, with Mafia 2 and this done. Enjoyed it. HolyCheck made me wish I did all most of my decisions differently. I may do another run, with a different class. Who knows. I really enjoyed soldier.
Soldier is a very good way of playing the game a very particular way.

Please divulge more on why you enjoyed this lovely game from 2007.

legend166

Choc said:
a tv show last night attracted

876 viewers in sydney

76 in Perth

zero viewers in adelaide and melbourne

and it was on a major paytv channel

lols

show is called park street

lol.

I saw an ad for that. About horrible womens magazines, right? I guess it does show the inadequacies of the rating system.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
rass said:
If my MBP went any faster I think it would catch fire. Heats up like a bitch, sounds like a plane taking off when I import a full card into lightroom. How much is a half decent 128GB SSD? Though... I could get a 64gb SSD and replace my optical drive, which has some kind of spasm when I wake my comp from sleep.

I dunno man, having a battery that actually lasts would be fantastic. I get an hour to an hour and a half browsing the net wirelessly on my <1 year old battery.

If I had the finances I'd trade up every 2/3 years. Still using an MBP 2,1 (late 2006). I guess I'm just overdue for an update so everything excites me.

Ah well then, considering it's so old then yea it might be worth upgrading. I figured you were on a 2009/2010 model. That tends to be how the apple hive mind works, hardware is 1yr old zomg upgrade!

So I played about an hour of de Blob 2 last night (first level and a little bit of the second).

I've always been a fan of platformers and puzzle games (and I enjoyed the first de Blob) so I was always going to enjoy it at least a little.

But I was pleasantly surprised by how fantastic the whole game is as a package.

Bits I liked:
- graphics are very pretty and the game runs great (360 version)
- music is nice and chilled, suits the game perfectly
- writing is great, it's obviously aimed at kids but it had me chuckling a little
- the 2d platformy parts work really well and mix things up nicely
- the garbled dialogue noises are actually really well done, the characters personalities come through even through even though they aren't speaking English

Bits I'm still not sure of:
- the camera swings around a bit sometimes if you are in specific spots, but it really only bothered me once. Most of the time the camera is fine.

Overall, game is great. Glad I picked it up over Killzone and Bulletstorm, it really seems like the kind of game I will enjoy chilling out with at the end of the day. It's not the sort of thing I will sit and play for hours, but will enjoy playing a level or two here and there.

If you're on the fence and enjoy platformers I would say it is definitely worth a look. Also, support Aussie devs and all that. And it can be had for around $70.

jambo

Bernbaum

BanShunsaku said:
So I played about an hour of de Blob 2 last night (first level and a little bit of the second).

I've always been a fan of platformers and puzzle games (and I enjoyed the first de Blob) so I was always going to enjoy it at least a little.

But I was pleasantly surprised by how fantastic the whole game is as a package.

Bits I liked:
- graphics are very pretty and the game runs great (360 version)
- music is nice and chilled, suits the game perfectly
- writing is great, it's obviously aimed at kids but it had me chuckling a little
- the 2d platformy parts work really well and mix things up nicely
- the garbled dialogue noises are actually really well done, the characters personalities come through even through even though they aren't speaking English

Bits I'm still not sure of:
- the camera swings around a bit sometimes if you are in specific spots, but it really only bothered me once. Most of the time the camera is fine.

Overall, game is great. Glad I picked it up over Killzone and Bulletstorm, it really seems like the kind of game I will enjoy chilling out with at the end of the day. It's not the sort of thing I will sit and play for hours, but will enjoy playing a level or two here and there.

If you're on the fence and enjoy platformers I would say it is definitely worth a look. Also, support Aussie devs and all that. And it can be had for around $70.
The one feature that may sway me towards getting it on 360 is the camera controls, which for all I know, are completely absent on the Wii/PSMove versions. How well does is work?

jambo said:
That's besides the point, it should be fully featured and unrestricted from the get-go.

PC modding community to the rescue again.
Sure is beside the point, but PC hasn't been the lead development platform for many games for ages. I think the developers were ordered to "encrypt" the ini file to prevent changes, so they probably just put in the least effort by obfuscating it so the community could easily figure it out.

Edit: nm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom