• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
When we are in a situation where a public school can't get air conditioning in 40 degree heat but a private school gets higher levels of funding and has a fucking swimming pool and rifle range already.

AND gets more funding even though parents are forced to pay the fees unlike public schools where it is voluntary

then you know something is wrong, very wrong with our whole system.

Bernbaum

re: education.

Hard work and enthusiasm will get you pretty much anywhere.

Yes, a few over-entitled cunts with rich parents get to jump the queue, but that rarely stops you from getting where you want to be if you want it bad enough.

giri

Choc said:
When we are in a situation where a public school can't get air conditioning in 40 degree heat but a private school gets higher levels of funding and has a fucking swimming pool and rifle range already.

AND gets more funding even though parents are forced to pay the fees unlike public schools where it is voluntary

then you know something is wrong, very wrong with our whole system.
There's 2 levels to the funding debate, and shcools get their funds from both state and federal government. The federal government tends to pay more to private schools than it does to public, purely because the stats have a much more pronounced bias in their funding, toward public schools.

In truth, both should get funded equally based on the number of students that go there, if people want to pay more and go to a private schools, that's their choice. But it doesnt work that way due to the states wanting to fund their public schools more than the private ones. /shrug

Choc

Banned
Bernbaum said:

Yes, a few over-entitled cunts with rich parents get to jump the queue, but that rarely stops you from getting where you want to be if you want it bad enough.

I completely agree Bern, completely agree. but there is no doubt there are some disadvantaged children in this world in our country

who may want to achieve high but due to various circumstances cannot. No matter how hard they put in.

EDIT: Giri just another reason to get rid of our fucking state governments. Useless shits that make everything complex for no reason and fuck everything up.

Bernbaum said:

True true true true. Not every successful person went to a private school. Not every private school student became successful. Your "privileges" may help your path but will not be the deciding factor.

I am not successful because I don't apply myself. It has nothing to do with the public school system.

This does not mean that I think there is inequities in the private/public school system.

Choc

Banned
So i am pissed this morning. Almost got run over by a fucking wanker cyclist yesterday and i had the right of way, because you know pedestrians always do.

Anyway, until such time that wanker cyclists learn to obey the road rules (watched some run red lights today) and have to register and be treated like cars then they deserve ZERO FUCKING RESPECT

the car vs cyclist vs pedestrian argument has been going forever, but its getting worse. Every single one of them is generally a wannabe lance armstrong wanker who thinks just cause they cycle they are better than everyone else and have to obey zero road rules

Clover Moore has destroyed Sydney with her bloody bike lanes that tore up the road. I don't think cars should dominate the city but all the footpaths are half the fucking size they were with the same amount of people. The congestion is bullshit and just so her bloody cyclist friends can ride everywhere.

Fucking should NOT win this election.

Omikron

When I do something unbelievably stupid that gets me into trouble, I am just going to say I have a drug problem. Seems to be an awesome catch all excuse that elicits sympathy.

giri

viciouskillersquirrel said:
What? It's not like anyone on AusGAF does sports.
Eh, i'm sure i'll get bashed for this, But i support Newmans designs to make the center of brisbanes CBD more pedestrian orientated than car friendly.

Clipper

legend, I have a feeling you will be very happy if you highlight the following text:

The Smash Stack hack on the Wii now works for the PAL version.

Choc

Banned
giri said:
Eh, i'm sure i'll get bashed for this, But i support Newmans designs to make the center of brisbanes CBD more pedestrian orientated than car friendly.

I would support this to. What Moore has done in sydney is make it less car friendly (who cares) but significantly less pedestrian friendly

major problem in peak hour.

FWIW i do active sport. Although I do not play Football, I referee State Premier League and that keeps me fit

I will ride a bike but unlike wankers will not ride like a wanker.

As someone who wants to cycle to work, I am all for bike lanes (or at least proper shared bike paths). I've tried doing the trip on a quiet day and it's bloody terrifying the way that some people drive.

Omikron

codswallop said:
As someone who wants to cycle to work, I am all for bike lanes (or at least proper shared bike paths). I've tried doing the trip on a quiet day and it's bloody terrifying the way that some people drive.

You evil cyclist, how dare you expect to be treated correctly on the road, we must make you register your bicycle as a result!

Gazunta

High school sure prepared me for entry into the world of videogame develoHAHAHAH sorry I couldn't even finish that sentence

PS I am against bikers because they wear that lycra suit and really I don't need to be seeing that at 7 in the morning thanks

Omi said:
You evil cyclist, how dare you expect to be treated correctly on the road, we must make you register your bicycle as a result!

I agree, though, that some cyclist need to act like they share the road with big lumbering metallic death-bringers. Some cyclists (yes, much like some drivers) need to respect the road rules. The only reason I'm slightly harsher on cyclists is that there is a much greater chance of me killing someone when they go through a red light or suddenly jump into a lane or cross my path.

I'm not anti-bike but, much like some drivers, I'm anti dick-head.

markot

Banned
giri said:
There's 2 levels to the funding debate, and shcools get their funds from both state and federal government. The federal government tends to pay more to private schools than it does to public, purely because the stats have a much more pronounced bias in their funding, toward public schools.

In truth, both should get funded equally based on the number of students that go there, if people want to pay more and go to a private schools, that's their choice. But it doesnt work that way due to the states wanting to fund their public schools more than the private ones. /shrug

>_>?

You do realise that if they did that, Public schools would be completely in the shitter?
That states fund public because it is their responsibility? That they actually want all kids to have a decent standard of education?

legend166

Clipper said:
legend, I have a feeling you will be very happy if you highlight the following text:

Yes.

Yes I am very happy.

Very happy indeed.

markot

Banned
And yeah, I dont mind cyclists, but these days they alllllllllll are wearing lycra >_>

Unless you are on le'tour... there is no excuse...

Choc

Banned
Omi said:

if you use the same roads as cars and have to follow the same rules why like europe should you not have to register a bike and fucking well have demerits

there is no GOOD argument against it

There are some cyclists which are ok. Majority ruin it for the minority however.

Also dear cyclists in the state of NSW it is illegal to ride side by side on the road. so fucking stop doing it. It's also ridiculously dangerous for you to do.

Now don't get me wrong, cycling paths are good however ripping up half the pedestrian sidewalk which was already full to the brim in peak is a fucking stupid idea.

and now people get the shits as they are sardined in on the footpath and have no fucking room and if some poor mother has a pram with kids, good fucking luck

Clover Moore is the worst mayor sydney has ever had

Planet_JASE said:
I like to think I'm a conscientious cyclist on the rare occasion where I actually ride on the road. However, a lot of drivers have no tolerance for cyclists at all, and anything cyclists do is "dickhead" level stuff.

giri

markot said:
>_>?

You do realise that if they did that, Public schools would be completely in the shitter?
That states fund public because it is their responsibility? That they actually want all kids to have a decent standard of education?
And thus this, causes the imbalance.

I won't get into the next debate, it's simply not worth it and all opinion based.

I do stand behind my "set the standard cost for every kid and that's that" line though. It would stop the stupid swings in funding between state and federal levels for public vs private.

Stackboy

So I went to Top Gear live in Brisbane on Saturday and had the chance to play the 3DS. I can see it's appeal and at the same time can see the concern people have for the the 3D erasing their eyeballs. I'll buy it in a year when the new Mario comes out.

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
I like to think I'm a conscientious cyclist on the rare occasion where I actually ride on the road. However, a lot of drivers have no tolerance for cyclists at all, and anything cyclists do is "dickhead" level stuff.

I am not like that cod, i respect cyclists on the road if they are riding properly etc :)

I will not try and do stupid things to overtake them, i am patient, even if some wanker behind me is blaring their car horn.

There are some total wankers out there on two wheels though. My biggest beef is the cycling paths in Sydney City because its made sydney a very pedestrian unfriendly place and that is just bullshit.

Cyclists need to realise when in the CBD on bike paths you need to obey the rules else you are going to have a big smash with lots of pedestrians and someone will come up and punch you in the face for being a selfish wanker.

Choc said:
My biggest beef is the cycling paths in Sydney City because its made sydney a very pedestrian unfriendly place and that is just bullshit.
If you ask my, Sydney is an unfriendly place for drivers too. I've driven in Sydney city once, and was the most stressful traffic experience of my life.

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
If you ask my, Sydney is an unfriendly place for drivers too. I've driven in Sydney city once, and was the most stressful traffic experience of my life.

Tourists drive in Sydney City. Sydneyites avoid it like the plague

r1chard

Planet_JASE said:
Yep, there's idiots in cars and on bikes. Because some people are just idiots.

I used to commute on my bike (can't these days thanks to the incredible sprawl that is Melbourne it'd take me over an hour to ride in now). Part of the ride took me along one of the busiest bike lanes in the city - St Kilda Rd.

Even bike lanes can't save us from the idiots. Had one guy open his door on me when I was in the bike lane. Took the pedal off my bike, luckily not my foot as well. Went ass over handlebar.

And the number of times some idiot just walked out between some cars into the bike lane. Fortunately you can see them coming and yell some choice abuse.

Deeku

I'm ok with cyclists. They only really annoy me when they ride far enough from the curb that I can't really judge if I'll run them over or not.

Also, yay eb manage to get me some tactics ogre tarrot cards! I feel so nerdy.

I dont mind cyclists its the motorcyclsts that shit me, weaving in and around zooming up inbetween lanes to get to the front of intersections, accidents waiting to happen.

Shaneus

News? At least it means we'll be able to get MK quicker from NZ than from the UK (probably). Possibly also get the stick without being bent over for shipping costs.

So there's a thread saying Microsoft are hiring hardware architects (one for graphics and one for overall verification) right now. Time to start making predictions for the Xbox 3000?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bernbaum said:

work hard + be kind = success

ManeKast

I live on the North-East Coast of NSW, the Cyclists in my area really annoy me when they ride on the road INSTEAD of the Bike Path provided. They also think its their right to ride in the 110km/h highway three a'breast slowing down traffic that are trying not to collide with their lycra-asses. Truly annoying.

Mar

I think the main issue with public schools is that students get so many distractions that you end up with a larger percentage that receive a substandard education. In a private school you can kick a student out, in public schools you have to teach what you get.

If a student, say, stabs another student and is convicted of that crime, they still need an education like any other. The fact of having a convicted criminal in the classroom is a massive distraction for the 30 or so other students in the class and it affects everyone.

My wife is a public high school teacher and the stuff she has to put up with is incredible. Convicted criminals and parents that blame teachers for everything, it's all part of the job. She was the victim of one particular incident recently and the parents tried to pin it on her instead of admitting their child might, shockingly, have done something wrong. Luckily the school is a good one and didn't back down to the parents demands.

It doesn't help of course that they've raised the minimum age that students are allowed to leave school in order to make the unemployment numbers look better. Because now you have students who don't want to be there all the way up through year 11, making life hell for everyone else.

I grew up in public schools, and if I ever have children I'm sending them to private.

Nedjoe

Neo Member
Clipper said:

I am also very happy. Thanks for the heads up!

Fredescu

Omi said:
I wonder how I managed to get Shellshock 2 purchased via steam. Heh.
There have been windows of time when banned games have been available. Same happened to Risen and Manhunt. They get taken down eventually.

Omikron

Fredescu said:
There have been windows of time when banned games have been available. Same happened to Risen and Manhunt. They get taken down eventually.

Yah, I figure it was some sort of bizarre accident as it came with some super-duper-awesome pack. Or some such.

Anyway, I wanna know where the ultra violence was in that game that forced into being banned. Nothing I saw while playing it seemed particularly striking that should take it above 100s of other games out there.

Salazar

giri said:
. But in yr 12 my class sizes rarely went over 20.

I suppose low class sizes was the dominant upside for me, too. Air-conditioning and decent computers also helped.

Having to spend a ludicrous amount on a ludicrous uniform sucked.

Choc

Banned
ManeKast said:
I live on the North-East Coast of NSW, the Cyclists in my area really annoy me when they ride on the road INSTEAD of the Bike Path provided. They also think its their right to ride in the 110km/h highway three a'breast slowing down traffic that are trying not to collide with their lycra-asses. Truly annoying.

Breakin the law breakin the law dun dun breakin the law

fuckers

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Yah, I figure it was some sort of bizarre accident as it came with some super-duper-awesome pack. Or some such.

Anyway, I wanna know where the ultra violence was in that game that forced into being banned. Nothing I saw while playing it seemed particularly striking that should take it above 100s of other games out there.

you shoot up a brothel

end of story. Was always going to get banned.

legend166

I had small class sizes in year 12 too, at a public school.

I think we had 8-9 in our Modern History class.

No one wanted to do Modern History. But EVERYONE wanted to do Ancient History because at the exact same time we were making subject selections, Troy came out at the cinemas. lol.

Modern History > Ancient History.

Fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom