• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
evlcookie said:
I think i'm playing on normal, whatever the default setting was. I've considered switching to easy, I wasn't sure if there would be a noticeable difference.

I might try change it this weekend and see how it all goes.
three things about RF:G

1-It takes time to get good. Once you realise it's not a shooter but a game about explosives, it clicks.

2- The difficulty on normal is all kinds of fucked up. about 50% through the games, i dialled it down to easy. It really doesn't make it that easy, but is a lot more playable. The last level was insane even on easy and I used cheats for the first time in years

3- its an awesome game- easily the best (IMHO) open-world title of 2009- (and that was a good open-world year with Liberty City Stories, inFamous, Borderlands, Assassin's Creed 2, Saboteur)

can't wait till the next game in 2011

legend166

legend166 said:
Harmonix aren't building any controllers for Rock Band 3.

Madcatz took over and Harmonix shut down their hardware department.

Also, just on this, they will still have the same internals. When I say Madcatz took over, they literally are just using the same factories that Harmonix did.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
VOOK said:
Sorry I'm not a sheep and don't follow every faux-popular game.

So why play and love mario, zelda and metroid then?

On a more serious note. Have you picked up the history of Nintendo books that some french dudes made? Pixel-something or other?

I think there's a thread on gaf about them and i'm tempted to grab them, Just wanted to know you're thoughts on them if you have read them.

evlcookie said:
Isn't you're avatar rotating between pictures? It's always different here as well. Figured that's all it was.

Yeah, they rotate. Since it loads each time perhaps between loading my avatar on the first, it loaded one, then loaded a different one the next time and isn't a cache issue at all.

evlcookie said:

On a more serious note. Have you picked up the history of Nintendo books that some french dudes made? Pixel-something or other?

I think there's a thread on gaf about them and i'm tempted to grab them, Just wanted to know you're thoughts on them if you have read them.

They aren't popular purely because they're cult.

legend166

Also, Choc, $140 for a keyboard is ridiculous. You can buy full size ones for $70.

On top of that, why is the keyboard coming out 10 days after the game?

Agyar

Giant Bomb wiki won't let me edit in IE7, throws an error dialogue that says "Message from Web Page - Sorry IE6 users, you're [sic] time has passed." I wouldn't normally bother to complain about lazy web design but that error really gets my goat.

Agyar said:
Giant Bomb wiki won't let me edit in IE7, throws an error dialogue that says "Message from Web Page - Sorry IE6 users, you're [sic] time has passed." I wouldn't normally bother to complain about lazy web design but that error really gets my goat.

I'm more pissed at the incorrect use of "you're".

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
evlcookie said:

I only play Metroid, I don't love it. Oh noes a Nintendo fan who doesn't like everything from the big N.

I've been meaning to pick them up, but so far they've only done the pre NES history ones and I don't care to know any more about Nintendo in that era then I already do. Will pick it up though for the entire collection.

Agyar said:

Then stop using a POS browser.

trinest

Agyar said:
I was about to say something about - you know something smart on why it does that- then I realised your using IE7 and just facepalmed.

Get 8- or 9- and if your computer can't update to either- its about time you get 7 and stop living in the stone age. :)

VOOK

hamchan said:
Pfft, people who are excited about SotC and Ico are sheep now? What a dumb thing to say.

The people going "SOTC and Ico, I never played them and everyone loves it, go PS3!" are.

Agyar said:
That is the crux of my complaint.

Still, shouldn't be using IE7.

teekun

VOOK said:
The people going "SOTC and Ico, I never played them and everyone loves it, go PS3!" are.

Where's "go PS3?" coming from? It's not normal to be curious about some critically acclaimed games that you might not have had the chance to play now coming, in an enhanced form, to a system you do own?

Nemesis_

Choc said:
Clarification for those who keep asking me

EBGames has the madcatz controllers exclusive for RB3

The madcatz controls are third party and not the ones that Harmonix are building

Hence, the instruments ARE NOT exclusive to Ebgames

Much better news. Though I don't really want any of the Pro controllers I do need a new drum set at least. Would rather a Harmonix one.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
VOOK said:
I only play Metroid, I don't love it. Oh noes a Nintendo fan who doesn't like everything from the big N.

I've been meaning to pick them up, but so far they've only done the pre NES history ones and I don't care to know any more about Nintendo in that era then I already do. Will pick it up though for the entire collection.

Oh pre NES era with the lovely cards and all. Yea i will pass on that for now. I thought it was actually from around the NES onwards.

Will wait for a collection as well then.

evlcookie said:
After owning RF:G for like a year and finally starting to play it these past weekends, I'm not a huge fan of it.

The gunplay is just off and while i know people will say hammer and explosions!! They aren't all that useful when you piss off the bad guys and there's 40 of them all around the place and they just keep on coming too.

As much as i would like to be a space asshole, it's a little to hard and troublesome.
I bought it after hearing it recommended on GAF and was incredibly disappointed. I'd just finished playing Mercenaries 2 and RF:G felt like a regression in every single way from that game, including explosions and destruction. I loved the concept of the game, but had many problems with it's actual design: the driving mechanics felt terrible, gunplay was horrible, missions were repetitive, and the characters and writing were poor (a missed opportunity!). Obviously the destruction was good but I didn't find it as impressive as most people seemed to. I disliked the game so much that I didn't even play it right the way through, which is about the first time that's ever happened. I did eventually go back and finish it but my second sitting didn't change my opinion of it in any way.

legend166 said:
Ico and SotC are probably the most overrated games I've ever played.

I mean, put them together into one game and you might have something approaching competence.
I would probably rank them as among the best games ever made. Having said that I played them at release so perhaps time hasn't been kind to them... but given the nature of their appeal I sincerely doubt it. They're games whose purpose is to trigger a deep emotional response - I guess that might not be up some people's alley but it's certainly something I cherish. Few games have managed it as well as those two. Maybe Another World would be up there as well but it's a pretty exclusive club.

VOOK

teekun said:
Where's "go PS3?" coming from? It's not normal to be curious about some critically acclaimed games that you might not have had the chance to play now coming, in an enhanced form, to a system you do own?

Did you look in the Famitsu news thread at all? The circle jerk in there is quite strong.

evlcookie said:
Oh pre NES era with the lovely cards and all. Yea i will pass on that for now. I thought it was actually from around the NES onwards.

Will wait for a collection as well then.

Yeah they have the cards and the 'toys' book, and a Game and Watch one so far.

Agyar said:
I'm on a corporate SOE.

*sigh* Probably still on Windows 98 too. Why are they not upgrading? Too scared about things breaking.

Corporates are holding back the entire internet.

Choc

Banned
While it is true that Harmonix themselves are not building instruments, they have contracted someone to put together the hardware for the bundles

this is not the hardware which is exclusive to eb

the eb madcatz exclusive is the higher tier products, not the standard that will come with the game

VOOK

Choc said:
While it is true that Harmonix themselves are not building instruments, they have contracted someone to put together the hardware for the bundles

the eb madcatz exclusive is the higher tier products, not the standard that will come with the game

EB are still pricks anyway.

Mar

Nemesis556 said:
I did not care much for ICO, but SOTC was amazing.

My exact feeling on the series too.

ICO was kind of boring. SotC is one of the most amazing games ever made. Best ending of any game too.

legend166

Choc said:

I was under the impression there were no hardware bundles for Rock Band 3 outside of Keyboard + Game? Unless it's different in Australia to the States.

From what I can see on the EB website, the following are exclusive:

MIDI Pro-Adapter (which is what I'm gonna buy)
Wooden Mustang Full button guitar
Drum kit
Keyboard on PS3, but not on 360.

Do you know why the keyboard/midi adapter is coming out 10 days after the game? That's really annoying.

Man, everything about this franchise in this country has been a disaster.

VOOK

viciouskillersquirrel said:
If you play the games for the gameplay rather than the epic presentation, you're doing it wrong.

Don't say things like that, you'll get yelled at!

Nemesis_

When you say highest tier, they're the best quality available?

I know the "official" RB3 keyboard retails for US 80 in the states.

Shaneus

Do we know if RB3 is 60fps or not? That's one thing that struck me as being better with the GH series (the only thing oh lolz).

Arozay

I never ended up beating Ico, gave it an hour to impress me and never touched it again. I should probably get around to beating it just so I can troll it more effectively.

I liked SotC though, although it was massively overrated for what it was.

That said though, I'd pick up the collection to have a copy of SotC that didn't chug heavily.

Bernbaum

Mar said:
My exact feeling on the series too.

ICO was kind of boring. SotC is one of the most amazing games ever made. Best ending of any game too.
I have a soft spot for both, although the concerns I had with SotC are all likely to be alleviated by the remake.

Ico has a timeless quality to it that I rarely see outside of a few select Nintendo titles- I enjoyed it a whole bunch despite playing it for the first time well into this generation.

Agyar

VOOK said:
*sigh* Probably still on Windows 98 too. Why are they not upgrading? Too scared about things breaking.

Corporates are holding back the entire internet.

We're on XP. There's a potential Windows 7 upgrade on the horizon but it's been pushed back a long way due to some important software platforms having potential compatibility issues. Being scared of things breaking is very real when the software is used to manage billions of dollars.

As for IE, other browsers aren't integrated with Sharepoint.

legend166

Nemesis556 said:
When you say highest tier, they're the best quality available?

I know the "official" RB3 keyboard retails for US 80 in the states.

That's the exact same keyboard we are paying $140 for.

Choc has his corporate hat on here, I feel.

The only thing I can think that might be happening is that they're rebranding the Rock Band 2 instruments and selling them here for the first time as Rock Band 3 instruments.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The colour of the 'classic games' list is more vibrant because of games like SOTC. Games like it symbolise a pinpoint in time, in that they probably wouldn't have been made a couple of years prior or a couple of years later. Would I tolerate SOTC2, 3 and 4 with all the same faults? No, but as a single piece of work, it's memorable and exciting and makes me glad to be into games at a time where creators can fluently speak the language but are out there mining exactly what is possible in the medium.

I've never played Ico. I really ought to do that, one day.

VOOK

Agyar said:
We're on XP. There's a potential Windows 7 upgrade on the horizon but it's been pushed back a long way due to some important software platforms having potential compatibility issues. Being scared of things breaking is very real when the software is used to manage billions of dollars.

As for IE, other browsers aren't integrated with Sharepoint.

Pretty Sharepoint works with IE8 at least.

What are your IT guys doing, sitting in their ass? That's what testing is for.

trinest

VOOK said:

To be fair- maybe they are trying to push heaps of awesome stuff- but are just blocked by people who are too igornate about computers?

Rez said:
The colour of the 'classic games' list is more vibrant because of games like SOTC. Games like it symbolise a pinpoint in time, in that they probably wouldn't have been made a couple of years prior or a couple of years later. Would I tolerate SOTC2, 3 and 4 with all the same faults? No, but as a single piece of work, it's memorable and exciting and makes me glad to be into games at a time where creators can fluently speak the language but are out there mining exactly what is possible in the medium.

I've never played Ico. I really ought to do that, one day.
I actually own both, but only played a few minutes of each. They're impressive games visually and do the sense of awe thing well, but damn if their gameplay and controls aren't sub-standard.

I want to finish them so I can say that I have and so I can see the endgame content. They're interesting titles in that I don't think you should approach them in the same way you would (say) Starcraft. More like how you'd view fl0w or Electroplankton.

VOOK

trinest said:
To be fair- maybe they are trying to push heaps of awesome stuff- but are just blocked by people who are too igornate about computers?

Usually held back by fuddy-duddy money mongers who don't understand things like upgrading. They see $$$ and not the benefits.

Nemesis_

legend166 said:
That's the exact same keyboard we are paying $140 for.

Choc has his corporate hat on here, I feel.

The only thing I can think that might be happening is that they're rebranding the Rock Band 2 instruments and selling them here for the first time as Rock Band 3 instruments.

I'm confused

trinest

VOOK said:
Usually held back by fuddy-duddy money mongers who don't understand things like upgrading. They see $$$ and not the benefits.
Pretty much. It's a bitch to work around those situations.

Mar

VOOK said:

Sitting in their ass. Hah.

I don't think you have any idea of what a corporate SOE means. It's not as easy as pressing a button and everyone uses the latest software. Corporations depend on hundreds if not thousands of interlinking pieces of software and if one piece of that software doesn't work with the rest, then the business is fucked.

Our university has the same problem. We are still using XP because certain pieces of software that supports millions of dollars does not work on later Windows versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom