• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

AnkhWeasel said:
I can't even tell you how much shipping these instruments will cost.

They're all made in China anyway. Unless for some incredibly bizarre reason they're shipped to Australia via the US, it shouldn't make a difference.

Bernbaum

2ql8u9t.jpg

Jesus christ. Why not just do it in MSPaint?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
looks consistent with the GoW collection. luckily, I never look at game cases.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Mar said:
Sitting in their ass. Hah.

I don't think you have any idea of what a corporate SOE means. It's not as easy as pressing a button and everyone uses the latest software. Corporations depend on hundreds if not thousands of interlinking pieces of software and if one piece of that software doesn't work with the rest, then the business is fucked.

Our university has the same problem. We are still using XP because certain pieces of software that supports millions of dollars does not work on later Windows versions.

Yeah I have no idea about networking and SOE at all. Sorry.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have no issues with that boxart, it looks ok?

I'm the same as Rez, i never look at it after i purchase it. So i don't really care how it looks as long as i can read the name on the spine, i'm happy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
heh, I actually go one step further and just keep most of my game cases in storage in a closet. when I need something I got get it.

I'm ready for physical copies of games to disappear entirely.

teekun

Bernbaum said:
2ql8u9t.jpg

Jesus christ. Why not just do it in MSPaint?

It probably was done in MSPaint. There's no way in hell that's official box art. It just got announced. How could it possibly have a PEGI rating already?

Mar

Rez said:

I'm the exact opposite. I love looking over at my collection, and love picking up a game now and again and just looking at the art etc. I hate the idea of games going pure digital download. Not only because they can no longer physically exist in my collection, but because we lose ownership of the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I just have no sense of pride when I look over at a game box or a CD. It would be kind of like feeling a sense of pride toward the theatre I was sitting in while watching a movie. It's just a means to an end, the end being playing a video game. It's totally divorced from what a bunch of creative people fawned over for months on end.

But I don't feel that strongly about it, if you love a good collection all the power to you. It's odd, because I'm usually a pretty sentimental person in many respects, just not when it comes to DVD cases and the like.

Bernbaum

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I really don't care about boxart, but the tackiness of that image is incongruent with the lofty goals of the content. I find that odd.
Yeah that's how I feel.

I found a thread over at IGN.com (please forgive me) that linked to the 'GAF Collection' cover art thread. Most of the posts weren't too impressed with the quality of work, and I was surprised to read a reasonably well thought out argument that, objectively, they weren't good boxart because they did little to convey what the product was or what kind of game players could expect. Even though I felt some of the stuff put together by GAF was pretty good and I was happy to have contributed, I had to see the merit in the argument, even though it missed the point of whom those particular boxarts were targeting i.e., fans who played the original and wanted a 'nice' version a-la the Criterion collection for film.

I guess I'm like a hybrid of Mar or Rez - a 'Marez' if you will. I keep every damn one of my games after I play them and keep them on my shelf like trophies, even if that shelf happens to be inside a cupboard I rarely open.

Choc

Banned
markot said:
Now im thinking of getting one of the new Nokias instead of the Galaxy >.<

New stuff shouldnt keep coming out!

Ovi store pales in comparison to Android Market

And AM pales in comparison to App Store

sooooooo...

I saw teh galaxy S the other day @ conference, its freaking awesome. I want one now :)

legend166

Choc, my last question about Rock Band 3 - when is it actually coming out? All the online stores are saying 21st of October. But that's a week before the rest of the world and the instruments on the EB online store say 31st of October, which is a Sunday.

Bernbaum

Rez said:
I thought this would bother me, but I get the same warm fuzzy feeling (or is it buyer's remorse?) looking at a well-endowed Steam games list.

However, I'm worried about the future of games like Braid or World of Goo which I downloaded on my consoles. Are they doomed to disappear once the next console comes along, or will they be supported in the long-term? People's attitude are increasingly treating games as disposable- this weeks big online multiplayer shooter is soon a forgotten memory and we all see just how quickly games with poor sales are relegated to bargain bins within mere months of being released.

My concerns are valid- games do die or disappear. I want to play Maniac Mansion on my PC legitimately. It's abandonware, but ESA protected and I can't buy it anywhere so I have to put on my eyepatch and pegleg if I wanna play it.

Kritz

Banned
//$$ BEGIN CONNECTION .... ./.;;//
CONNECTED WITH CENTRAL SERVER

: 15 SEPTEMBER 2010 4PM

STATUS UPDATE

# MAFIA 2
-> IN PROGRESS

// CLOSE CONNECTION $$//

###############################
##########################

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It's so funny hearing everyones voices in the video reviews, even after all those times of playing TF2 or some other online game where they just didn't talk.

Good to see people are actually doing reviews though. Nice work :D

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I do find it strange that JB can't alter an order after it has been placed. It would have been nice to replace Children of men with Heat but that can't be done.

Oh well, 2001 a space odyssey has been shipped, I look forward to viewing that on bluray, transfer and quality is meant to be outstanding.

legend166

evlcookie said:
I do find it strange that JB can't alter an order after it has been placed. It would have been nice to replace Children of men with Heat but that can't be done.

Oh well, 2001 a space odyssey has been shipped, I look forward to viewing that on bluray, transfer and quality is meant to be outstanding.

My brother blind bought 2001 on Blu-Ray last week.

He came out of his room, looked at me and said "That was the most boring movie I've ever seen."

Mar

Agyar said:
8/10 is the new 5/5 - Kritz.net

Heh, believe me, this isn't lost on us. We've often joked about it. It makes logical sense though because as we've started out, we are all just reviewing games that we've liked and finished. That's always going to be around the 8 mark.

Agyar

Mar said:
Heh, believe me, this isn't lost on us. We've often joked about it. It makes logical sense though because as we've started out, we are all just reviewing games that we've liked and finished. That's always going to be around the 8 mark.

Believe me I posted that comment with tongue firmly in cheek, anticipating such an answer.

I should finish and review something a game I wasn't entirely enthused with for you. That said, I probably would have given RDR a higher score than Aon's review.

More to that point, I felt the review painted the game as a more flawed creation that it is. Personally I found RDR to fantastically engaging and thoroughly enjoyable. I think it has picked up some undeserved backlash for nuggets of the game that remind the critical enthusiast crowd of GTA 4, which prevents those people from aknowledging that epicly-scoped games like RDR and GTA 4 are, critically speaking, greater than the sum of their parts.

Mar

Agyar said:
Believe me I posted that comment with tongue firmly in cheek, anticipating such an answer.

I should finish and review something a game I wasn't entirely enthused with for you. That said, I probably would have given RDR a higher score than Aon's review.

More to that point, I felt the review painted the game as a more flawed creation that it is. Personally I found RDR to fantastically engaging and thoroughly enjoyable. I think it has picked up some undeserved backlash for nuggets of the game that remind the critical enthusiast crowd of GTA 4, which prevents those people from aknowledging that epicly-scoped games like RDR and GTA 4 are, critically speaking, greater than the sum of their parts.

See, if you wrote the review, you would have been able to say that. You snooze, you lose!

I have still yet to play the game (besides the miserable co-op I played on release). It's in the stack....

hamchan

commanderdeek said:
Unless they somehow fix the frame rate in sotc, I agree with vook. meh indeed.

Fixing the framerate is pretty much a given.

VOOK said:
Did you look in the Famitsu news thread at all? The circle jerk in there is quite strong.

Meh, a lot less wankery in there than in Zelda threads.

jambo

evlcookie said:

It looks glorious for a movie made in the 60s, better transfer than a lot of modern movies!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
jambo said:
It looks glorious for a movie made in the 60s, better transfer than a lot of modern movies!
I still need to watch the blu-ray copy i bought a few weeks ago!

Shaneus

Holy hell PlayTV is crap. Practically nothing is mapped on my Harmony remote (so the channel up and down buttons do nothing), the record button doesn't actually record, you can't key in channels above 22 (so if you want to go to 9 HD or Go, you need to navigate some other way) and I'm not even going to mention the Freeview restrictions that have been put in place.

Pretty fucking disappointed.

SD looks very average, too... compression artifacts when there's movement looks like a poorly encoded DivX file. Simpsons has never looked so woeful.

evlcookie said:

It's beautiful. My stereo doesn't do it justice though.

Agyar

Shaneus said:
Holy hell PlayTV is crap. Practically nothing is mapped on my Harmony remote (so the channel up and down buttons do nothing), the record button doesn't actually record, you can't key in channels above 22 (so if you want to go to 9 HD or Go, you need to navigate some other way) and I'm not even going to mention the Freeview restrictions that have been put in place.

Pretty fucking disappointed.

SD looks very average, too... compression artifacts when there's movement looks like a poorly encoded DivX file. Simpsons has never looked so woeful.

I recall setting up PlayTV with my Harmony was more aptly done just by modifying the PS3 profile and changing some button mappings.

Tntnnbltn

My first box has arrived! :eek:

NCYT2.jpg

WJ8rA.jpg

r9zzE.jpg

teekun said:
There's no way in hell that's official box art. It just got announced. How could it possibly have a PEGI rating already?
Each game was rated individually under PEGI. The collection has the higher of the two existing PEGI ratings.

Guys I really want an AusGAF shirt. So, I think we should have a brainstorm and then people make some prototypes and then a vote on which to make. My prototype is the first one I posted yesterday...

FgAWD.png

Would anyone consider wearing this except me? It's an AusGAF shirt, with the AusGiraffe on it. I think it symbolises AusGAF without being too obvious to how geeky we all are (ie: the other options).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom