• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last post on page, fucking hell. Repost:

Guys I really want an AusGAF shirt. So, I think we should have a brainstorm and then people make some prototypes and then a vote on which to make. My prototype is the first one I posted yesterday...

FgAWD.png

Would anyone consider wearing this except me? It's an AusGAF shirt, with the AusGiraffe on it. I think it symbolises AusGAF without being too obvious to how geeky we all are (ie: the other options).

Axiom

It is not a design I'm keen on, but granted I'm not big on giraffes in general.

The Reach 360 is pretty spiffy and I have a new copy of Red Dead Redemption. Need to figure out what to with this unopened copy of Halo Reach though.

The fact it comes with a fucking SD video cable blows my mind though.

In other news Armageddon is going to feature the 8th and 7th Doctor, his companion, Major Kira, Drusilla, Ron Marz, Kyle Reece, Bud Bundy, Daniel Jackson, Parker Lewis, Raven, Bender and Jason Voorhees. That's a bloody good lineup and features more people I'm interested in seeing than the ComicCon I went to.

Gonna have to wear my final season Tom Baker scarf.

Tntnnbltn

hamchan said:
Ohnoes textbooks :(
Ohyays textbooks! They are part of my tax-deductable professional library.

Edit: Plus when you are a teacher, highschool textbooks automatically become awesome. They are so absolutely vital in determining what level of detail to teach the curriculum to. That's why I have to many versions of the student texts and study guides. :)

Rahk

Omi said:
:(

Its frustrating, need to investigate VPN again much like how I obtained L4D2 uncensored. :)
Don't think VPN will work. You used to be able to just use a credit card with no VPN but it looks like they've fixed that. Just get it gifted from a US Gaffer or something. Steam gifting thread.

giri

Megadrive said:
Last post on page, fucking hell. Repost:

Guys I really want an AusGAF shirt. So, I think we should have a brainstorm and then people make some prototypes and then a vote on which to make. My prototype is the first one I posted yesterday...

FgAWD.png

Would anyone consider wearing this except me? It's an AusGAF shirt, with the AusGiraffe on it. I think it symbolises AusGAF without being too obvious to how geeky we all are (ie: the other options).

Why does ausgaf need a shirt?

giri

Megadrive said:
I didn't think you guys would be so grumpy about a joke. Nobody's saying you have to buy or even care, but being obviously annoyed at a joke is pretty pathetic.

a) I must've missed the funny
b) Asking a simple question now == annoyed? When did this social change happen?
c) Giraffe's are fkn jerks.
d) ??????
e) Profit.

Kritz

Banned
Megadrive said:
I didn't think you guys would be so grumpy about a joke. Nobody's saying you have to buy or even care, but being obviously annoyed at a joke is pretty pathetic.

People are only angry because your username is of a console that nobody liked.

legend166

lol kritz.

Also, I don't think I've ever wear an AusGirrafe shirt.

The closest I get to wearing 'nerdy' t-shirts is my Bovine University shirt and my Conando shirt.

Agyar

I seem to have a very tiny scratch on the back of my iPhone 4. Not sure how it happened but it's making me second guess my decision to go without a case. The annoying part is I can deal with scratches on the back but most cases don't protect the screen, which is where I'm worried about now. My old case was a leather one that covered both sides, considering something similar again but it's so nice in my pocket without the extra bulk.

What2do.

Edit: This is the only case I would consider, thinking I'll just order one then decide when I get it.

Edit 2: I bear no ill will towards giraffes but I ain't wearing no giraffe tshirt, for the record.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Megadrive said:

I'm not angry at all. If you want to make a strange ausgaf/ausgirrafe shirt go for it.

giri

Agyar said:
I seem to have a very tiny scratch on the back of my iPhone 4. Not sure how it happened but it's making me second guess my decision to go without a case. The annoying part is I can deal with scratches on the back but most cases don't protect the screen, which is where I'm worried about now. My old case was a leather one that covered both sides, considering something similar again but it's so nice in my pocket without the extra bulk.

What2do.

Edit: This is the only case I would consider, thinking I'll just order one then decide when I get it.

I don't carry my Magic in a case. You just have to get very pocket disciplined. Nothing in the same pocket as your phone, that could scratch it. I keep keys and change (right pocket) in a different pocket to my phone (left).

I'm so used to it i do it even whilst drunk now.

Agyar

giri said:
I don't carry my Magic in a case. You just have to get very pocket disciplined. Nothing in the same pocket as your phone, that could scratch it. I keep keys and change (right pocket) in a different pocket to my phone (left).

I'm so used to it i do it even whilst drunk now.

Oh believe me, I'm disciplined, which is why I have no idea how this little scratch happened. I think it's more likely some tiny sharp piece of grit on a table that I've put it on than something in my pocket.

giri

Agyar said:
Oh believe me, I'm disciplined, which is why I have no idea how this little scratch happened. I think it's more likely some tiny sharp piece of grit on a table that I've put it on than something in my pocket.

Yeah the back of mine is scratched in places, no doubt from using it flat against a surface like a desk or something.

As long as the screens fine you're okey dokes.

Choc

Banned
Agyar said:

as tough as a helicopters glass my arse

Agyar

giri said:
Yeah the back of mine is scratched in places, no doubt from using it flat against a surface like a desk or something.

As long as the screens fine you're okey dokes.

The first scratch is the deepest, if you know what I mean.

Mar

Megadrive said:
Would anyone consider wearing this except me?

I like the design, I like the name. But I don't think I'd wear a shirt that's in relation to a forum I frequent. I mean, there's nothing terribly wrong with that, I wear game shirts occasionally. But a forum shirt doesn't do much for me. It would be like being in a team or something. Could you imagine us having an AusGaf meet and everyone turning up in the same shirt? Girls would run for miles.

Kritz said:
People are only angry because your username is of a console that nobody liked.

Get out.

Agyar said:

Hah, so much stress over a scratch, on the back! It has no functional issue, and the very nature of phones means you're going to get many more. Relax! The back of my phone resembles... Ok, I can't come up with any good comparisons here. But let's just say it's scratched to such a degree you can hardly read the print.

Agyar

Mar said:
Hah, so much stress over a scratch, on the back! It has no functional issue, and the very nature of phones means you're going to get many more. Relax! The back of my phone resembles... Ok, I can't come up with any good comparisons here. But let's just say it's scratched to such a degree you can hardly read the print.

The stress comes more from the prospect of getting a scratch on the front. As I said, scratches on the back don't concern me but getting one on the screen itself would be really shitty. The iPhone 4 glass seems a lot tougher than previous models it's obviously not completely impervious to these type of scratches.

Edit: TGS shit:

Dead Rising 2: Case West: DLC, if I end up playing DR2 I will buy it.
Shadows of the Damned: Trailer was really good until the main character spike and didn't sound like Bruce Campbell.
DmC: Trailer has awful music, new Dante is ugly but judgement reserved until I see some real gameplay.
Ninja Gaiden 3: Day Looking forward to it, even if it is new Team Ninja.
Ni-oh: Looks cool, will keep an eye on this one.
Alice: Madness Returns: Day one perch.

Mar

Dead Rising 2: Case West: Bort.
Shadows of the Damned: Awful trailer, terrible art direction. However the combat looks good and will buy.
DmC: Liked the art direction, but I don't particular care about DMC.
Ninja Gaiden 3: Apathetic.
Ni-oh: No idea what this is and have no interest in finding out.
Alice: Madness Returns: Perch confirmed

The next few months are going to be insane for me game wise. I need to finish Silent Hill before Dead Rising 2 next week, then Castlevania the week after, then NFS Hot Pursuit soon after that.

Agyar

Mar said:
Shadows of the Damned: Awful trailer, terrible art direction. However the combat looks good and will buy.

I was getting a sweet B-grade Army of Darkness vibe from it until the guy spoke, then he over-the-shoulder third person shootered some guys with a weird sci-fi gun with a skull on it. The illusion came crashing down and it felt like another silly Japanese game about girly men.

Choc

Banned
Did anyone else read the reason they are building Case West?

Video game journalists wanted frank west in DR2, so they made another game

like wtf, since when does that matter

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure that was the entire reason. A guy must have told them and someone at Capcom hit the big red 'green-light' button and sent their devs into over-time to cater the whims of game journalists. It seems like a very likely scenario.

Choc

Banned
http://www.vg247.com/2010/09/15/dead-rising-2-case-west-announced/#more-118052

Capcom’s just announced an epilogue for Dead Rising 2, which is similar to Case Zero, known as Case West.The epilogue has Dead Rising 1 protagonist Frank West team up with Dead Rising 2’s Chuck Greene, and the story takes place after the events of Dead Rising 2.The reason for West’s return is journalists asked for the character

Seems like you want to continue your schoolyard bullshit rez, i got over it long ago

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's not schoolyard bullshit, it's the ability to parse how the industry works versus what's announced via a press release.

Choc

Banned
Rez said:
It's not schoolyard bullshit, it's the ability to parse how the industry works versus what's announced via a press release.

OK fair enough, you are right.

In other news Sony just dropped me a Move :)

anyone else get it today?

Bernbaum

Yesterday I listened to the very last Idle Thumbs remaining on my playlist- Episode 50: "Farewell Video Games" or "The Shitty Wizard".

I had only started listening to the Thumbs at the start of the 'Podcast' season that started this year in February and loved it instantly. As I stayed up to date with the 2010 pods, I decided to listen to the entire back-catalog in tandem, sometimes listening to several episodes at once per day. 'Refreshing' is possibly the best way to describe why I took to the show so quickly- throughout every episode, regardless of the tone of discussion, the hosts showed a genuine love for video games and a reluctance to get tied down by irrelevant minutia or have the 'obvious' discussion. I think what they valued most in gaming was the experience- whether it was a story-rich game or a rhythm-based puzzler, it was always about how they felt about the experience and never the technical aspects of the game. They had a glass half full attitude towards games, even the hokey jock-marketed stuff and I think that by listening to the Thumbs so much, it influenced how I play games and what I choose to play

Anyone listening to the show could tell the guys were great friends- it didn't matter if the discussion wheeled wildly off-course, or got saturated by memes and in-jokes, it's like they were doing the podcast for themselves but were happy to share it with others. My first interest in the podcast was for entertainment- I had an awful time trying to lose my shit and crack up in front of people at work or on the train, but the serious game discussion was just as worthwhile.

Anyway, the reason I'm telling y'all this is that the bulk of my time listening to the back-catalog was when I was out in the bush and playing Torchlight on my MacBook. The mental association between that game and the thumb's voices grew pretty strong, and I found it incredibly fitting that Torchlight discussion came to dominate the podcast for the last few episodes or so.

The interview they had with Max Schaefer about Torchlight is one of the most engaging conversations I’ve ever heard anyone have about video games. It was encouraging to listen to someone with a wealth of experience developing top-shelf games and to learn his priorities as a developer and his interest for the communities that played his games. All the Idle Thumbs hosts are now directly involved in the development side and it's clear they sought out folk like Schaefer to join them on the show. Hopefully there's plenty of people like Schaefer and the Thumbs guys throughout the industry and not schmucks like your Koticks etc...

What a swell guy.

/dumb story.

Gazunta

Hang on, whether or not it's BS - did the 'we did it for you game journalists!' line actually work with the crowd?

Because man, if it did:

a) I totally have to use that line for our next game
b) If I ever go back into games journalism I am gonna demand the FUCK out of Capcom for a new Forgotten Worlds game.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It should also be noted that we scared Bern away from steam chat forever last night. I'm sure that was a fun time as well.

I still haven't gotten around to the pax idle thumbs, Waiting on the video footage so i can watch these guys talk, to see how they interact with each other.

Mar

Bernbaum said:
Yesterday I listened to the very last Idle Thumbs remaining on my playlist- Episode 50: "Farewell Video Games" or "The Shitty Wizard".

I had only started listening to the Thumbs at the start of the 'Podcast' season that started this year in February and loved it instantly. As I stayed up to date with the 2010 pods, I decided to listen to the entire back-catalog in tandem, sometimes listening to several episodes at once per day. 'Refreshing' is possibly the best way to describe why I took to the show so quickly- throughout every episode, regardless of the tone of discussion, the hosts showed a genuine love for video games and a reluctance to get tied down by irrelevant minutia or have the 'obvious' discussion. I think what they valued most in gaming was the experience- whether it was a story-rich game or a rhythm-based puzzler, it was always about how they felt about the experience and never the technical aspects of the game. They had a glass half full attitude towards games, even the hokey jock-marketed stuff and I think that by listening to the Thumbs so much, it influenced how I play games and what I choose to play

Anyone listening to the show could tell the guys were great friends- it didn't matter if the discussion wheeled wildly off-course, or got saturated by memes and in-jokes, it's like they were doing the podcast for themselves but were happy to share it with others. My first interest in the podcast was for entertainment- I had an awful time trying to lose my shit and crack up in front of people at work or on the train, but the serious game discussion was just as worthwhile.

Anyway, the reason I'm telling y'all this is that the bulk of my time listening to the back-catalog was when I was out in the bush and playing Torchlight on my MacBook. The mental association between that game and the thumb's voices grew pretty strong, and I found it incredibly fitting that Torchlight discussion came to dominate the podcast for the last few episodes or so.

The interview they had with Max Schaefer about Torchlight is one of the most engaging conversations I’ve ever heard anyone have about video games. It was encouraging to listen to someone with a wealth of experience developing top-shelf games and to learn his priorities as a developer and his interest for the communities that played his games. All the Idle Thumbs hosts are now directly involved in the development side and it's clear they sought out folk like Schaefer to join them on the show. Hopefully there's plenty of people like Schaefer and the Thumbs guys throughout the industry and not schmucks like your Koticks etc...

What a swell guy.

/dumb story.

Yeah, Idle Thumbs was something special. What's great about it is that they are infinitely re-listenable too. I still go back and listen to an episode for the 10th time or whatever, as opposed to every other podcast I really like, where once is enough.

I say without a word of a lie, Idle Thumbs was the best thing I consumed over the last few years of any entertainment medium.

Bernbaum

evlcookie said:
It should also be noted that we scared Bern away from steam chat forever last night. I'm sure that was a fun time as well.

I still haven't gotten around to the pax idle thumbs, Waiting on the video footage so i can watch these guys talk, to see how they interact with each other.
Hahah!

Entering the AusGAF steam group chat is like showing up to a party where you don't know too many people but everyone is still pretty friendly- you might hear a few weird things yelled out and find yourself unwillingly asked to do something you don't feel too comfortable doing (like download Railworks DLC).

Someone mentioned something about a paddle and I was too scared to find out what that meant so I grabbed my shit and left...

Have fun kids, let me know when y'all are playing some Left 4 Dead 2!

Fredescu

Agyar said:
I need to stop reading these KB/M versus Controller threads, they only make me angry.
Haha, after the last one ended with a guy posting a youtube video of how fast he can move an analog stick, I haven't even been tempted to open this new thread.

Agyar said:
I need to stop reading these KB/M versus Controller threads, they only make me angry.
Give me a controller to try and explore a 3D space and I will spend half my time spinning in random circles. Never happens with KBAM or Wiimote / Nunchuck.

But then, I have extremely specific needs as a gamer.

Choc

Banned
There is nothing in the current move lineup that appeals to me enough to buy it

The only game would be RUSE and well thats not enough to justify it

Sony needs games FAST

Agyar

Choc said:
There is nothing in the current move lineup that appeals to me enough to buy it

The only game would be RUSE and well thats not enough to justify it

Sony needs games FAST
What about that sweet office chair game?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I still haven't bought Reach! Granted, my 360 is in Melbourne and I'm not back in the city until the weekend. I'm not, you know, super-hyped, but I have that quiet, expectation-less excitement that usually leads to me enjoying games a whole lot more than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom