• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
Kinda sad it took Labour in NSW to be abandoned by everyone for the opposition to stand a chance, really says alot about how bad the libs in NSW have been >.<

Gazunta said:
Aren't you young people just meant to be putting everything on credit cards anyway? That's what 7PM Project told me.
I was raised by immigrants and grew up on poverty / debt slavery horror stories. As a result, I have a very different relationship to money and debt than do my peers
but I still have $600 owing on my credit card :\

Fredescu

Jintor said:
I've never seen a good election ad
The one that always sticks out in my mind was an ad during the Keating vs Howard campaign. It was a recording of Keating telling protesting students "Go and get a job!" and then scene of him telling an interviewer "I didn't say 'go and get a job'", repeated a few times. Fantastic ad.

Nemesis_

2zjm5vn.png

Weird, never seen this on Play Asia before. Looks like they'll also be reinforcing the bans.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I've just been to Japan, Sydney, bought 2 3DS's and a bunch of games, a 3D camera and have a car that just got it's insurance renewed, roadside renewed, rego renewed. Oh and I have mortgage.

Don't ask me about my credit card :(

Fredescu

Jintor said:
Also! I think it was Greiner vs Carr, there was an ad with a giant grey octopus with Nick Greiner's head sitting on top of... something. Maybe a city. There was some forboding music in the background and he was moving his tentacles around and such. That one was fun too.

Choc

Banned
but these ads even in comparison to election ads are just shit

budget of like $50 an ad and the scripts are just so shit

From what I gather most people aren't into Homefront for whatever reason but I've played about an hour of it on 360 and it seems pretty damn good to me. Like genuinely good. Doesn't look the best and the controls are a bit clunky (worse than CoD, better than Bc2) but it seems good to me.

Only beef is that it has dedicated servers on 360. I'm all for servers but I hate it when i can't choose my region because it usually ends up laggy. Hopefully they fix that when they get their server issues sorted.

Jintor

I don't understand why they went to all this trouble to hype the singleplayer when Kaos is waaaaay better at making genuinely fun multi

Jintor said:
I don't understand why they went to all this trouble to hype the singleplayer when Kaos is waaaaay better at making genuinely fun multi
Yup especially when the big guns Halo and CoD are purchased mostly for the multiplayer component.

Salazar

Jintor said:

There was a great one (unaired) for British Labor.

A woman wakes up and there's a man (a one-night stand - representing the Tories) in her house. He's a horrific creep, putting on a nasty suit, phoning all his nasty friends called Piers and Nigel to come over. He refuses to leave, and gets a very sinister glint in his eye when she presses the argument. He says she can't change her mind now.

Fucking magnificent.

Jintor said:

Probably cos it's the only unique angle they really have as far as marketing would be concerned.

Ventron

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Say Ventron, how's the development on your game going?

If you mean my first game, the RPG Bonded Realities, it's been released already, but I didn't mention it here because it's on Xbox Indie Games which isn't available in Oz.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Bonded-Realities/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550791
It's selling slowly too, mostly because the plugs I was promised on big sites never eventuated, so it received no mainstream coverage.

I now have my sights set on Microsoft's Dream Build Play contest with a completely new title. Barring a pickup of sales in BR, my placement in the DBP contest will likely determine whether or not I'll continue with a games startup.

I'll film some early footage soon (not a trailer just yet). I haven't been posting here often because I've been so busy!

Bernbaum

Here's a great bit on Carcassone from Boing Boing's Mark Fraeunfelder, who has become my favourite editor there since Cory Doctorow kinda disappeared up his own bumhole and Xeni got way too political.

He describes the simplicity and accessibilty of the game quite well and I gather from his disdain for traditional 'mainstream' boardgames like Monopoly and his unfamiliarity with other revered games like Catan and Ticket to Ride that he's at the same stage I was a few months ago.

Board games of the Carcassone ilk are a pretty new thing for me but the article sums up why it works so well and some of the qualities of the game cited by Frauenfelder also hold true for plenty of other games.

Read the article, buy Carcassone and be a cool dude.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I knew someone was going to do that.

I've gotten more PS3 review games this year than Nintendo stuff, I don't know what to do with it ._.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm genuinely interested in why election ads are never "we're all adults, here's why we can do this better than someone else" and are always "opposition X fucked a lamb once and HERE'S THE FOOTAGE"

Ventron

Rez said:
I'm genuinely interested in why election ads are never "we're all adults, here's why we can do this better than someone else" and are always "opposition X fucked a lamb once and HERE'S THE FOOTAGE"

Because they're in a no-win situation with the media. Lawrence Springborg tried that in the last QLD election, and everyone said he had no mongrel (I'm not making this up). The attack ads from the LNP didn't start until about the 2nd or 3rd week.

Ventron

Salazar said:
Lawrence Springborg is in a no-win situation with life. Ditto Langbroek.

I didn't expect you to say anything else :p The unfortunate thing is the election happened when the GFC started, so the only ads Labor ran were the same bloody construction worker warning of "dole queues around the block" (remember that?).

Rez said:

I know. They used that exact phrasing. Shame 9 News don't keep footage from that long ago on their website (I don't think).
(Also, how are you able to read a book with no lights?)

Fredescu

Rez said:
I'm genuinely interested in why election ads are never...
Because this:
Rez said:
"we're all adults, here's why we can do this better than someone else"
is ideology. Some people are going to vote pro union or pro business no matter what, and spending advertising dollars on getting the faithful to change sides is a waste of money.

As far as the smaller specific policies go, it's only the interest groups that they apply to that care about those, and they find out through other (cheaper) means than mass media. For example, there will be no TV ads from the parties about an R18+ video games rating, but you're in the interest group that knows about it and you're aware of the policy positions.

Mass media ads are really aimed the lowest common denominator. This is why the bloke that said "Stop the browns boats!" on our TV every night for a month went way up in popularity. Don't look to the media that brings us Two and a Half Men and Today/Tonight for rational debate.

Jintor

VOOK said:
I knew someone was going to do that.

I've gotten more PS3 review games this year than Nintendo stuff, I don't know what to do with it ._.

Why are you getting PS3 review copy? You run a goddamn Nintendo fansite!

Bernbaum

Rez said:
Absolutely.

The ad hominem attacks are just so blatant and obvious it's amazing they're so effective.

Hey, here's footage of our opponent and you know he's a bad guy because he's a monochrome grainy photograph but our person is a crystal clear photo, oh, just glowing with colour. In case you weren't sure who to vote for, it's the guy who doesn't have an obnoxious fart noise sounding out alongside his profile in this here ad we've made. What are our policies? Who gives a fuck. Let's focus on how many babies this ugly fucker is gonna rape if you elect him into office. Remember, it doesn't matter how much we have in our glass, concentrate on our opponent and their shitty half-empty glass.

Bernbaum

Fredescu said:
As far as the smaller specific policies go, it's only the interest groups that they apply to that care about those, and they find out through other (cheaper) means than mass media. For example, there will be no TV ads from the parties about an R18+ video games rating, but you're in the interest group that knows about it and you're aware of the policy positions.

Mass media ads are really aimed the lowest common denominator. This is why the bloke that said "Stop the browns boats!" on our TV every night for a month went way up in popularity. Don't look to the media that brings us Two and a Half Men and Today/Tonight for rational debate.
Very upsetting how correct that is.

Ventron said:
If you mean my first game, the RPG Bonded Realities, it's been released already, but I didn't mention it here because it's on Xbox Indie Games which isn't available in Oz.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Bonded-Realities/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550791
It's selling slowly too, mostly because the plugs I was promised on big sites never eventuated, so it received no mainstream coverage.

I now have my sights set on Microsoft's Dream Build Play contest with a completely new title. Barring a pickup of sales in BR, my placement in the DBP contest will likely determine whether or not I'll continue with a games startup.

I'll film some early footage soon (not a trailer just yet). I haven't been posting here often because I've been so busy!
Are you bound by some sort of exclusivity agreement or are you planning to release it in some other form (say iOS)? I'm curious to play it.

Choc

Banned
Rez said:

rez

the NSW election ads are pretty much we're all adults etc etc

but its fucking boring as fuck and puts you to sleep and you think its the worst budgeted ad ever

so its just not as effective unfortunately

Has anyone heard about a recent SMS scam coming from sender SARKOZY saying "U've won 200,000 Dollars in a loto organised by the Thailand branch of the GSM Association. Send ur name/address by SMS to XXX so we can post ur check"?

It's clearly some sort of scam, but I'm just wondering what type. It's not asking for bank details (yet) but I'm wondering if it's a money making premium SMS scam i.e. when you send back the response it charges you $1 or something.

Just curious, is all.

Obviously I don't care that I've never been to Thailand, have no idea who GSM are (apart from what I've now seen on their site) or care how the French President got my phone number. I don't even care that Sarkozy has clearly been taught English by hte internets. I care about none of that because I just want my moneyz, so here are my details. I await your $200, 000 in an unspecified currency eagerly.

If any of you need me I'll be outside near my letterbox.

PS-I received two SMSs within 20minutes of each other. $400,000, bitches! Best day evah!

Choc

Banned
the reason why nintendo publishers are so stingy is that Nintendo does not have a green disc/blue disc system like Microsoft and Sony

for those of you who don't know what that is, basically sony and microsoft offer publishers the chance to pay about 2-3 bucks a disc and get promotional discs that are specifically not for resale etc but will work in a retail console

due to the fact nintendo does not do this, the publishers have to send code from direct stock. That is counted as a lost sale as its a product that would have gone to stores if not for the media, hence tighten up

its a lot more to promote a nintendo game via samples then the other two, hence

fucked

edit: also did you guys see that bullys mum say he got what he deserves

here here to correct fucking parenting for once

Danoss

Choc said:
did you guys see that bullys mum say he got what he deserves
Nope, but good for her. Glad she didn't back up his antics.

Bullying is a terrible thing and it's damn hard to stop. The only way to minimise or bring an end to it is for the bullied to stand up and make it hard for the bully to do what he wants. Casey did the best job of that he could have.

Having their own parent reinforce it is fantastic.

Mar

Going to buy the Porsche 959 DLC for NFS Hot Pursuit. It used to be my favourite car back in the 80s and the last time I drove it was Test Drive 2 on the Commodore 64.

I fully expect it to drive like a dog house on wheels. But I can't help but feel excited by it all.

I've played quite a bit of NFSHP over the past number of weeks and I'm getting into it more than I did when it was released. The car I've loved since the mid 90s mops the floor with everyone as they all seem to gravitate to the Bugatti. It's like the Mclaren F1 is some hidden secret amongst the current generation.

Oh, and why I didn't buy Test Drive Unlimited 2. They omitted the Mclaren this time around for some reason.

Clipper

Danoss said:
Nope, but good for her. She should be proud of her son.

Bullying is a terrible thing and it's damn hard to stop. The only way to minimise or bring an end to it is for the bullied to stand up and make it hard for the bully to do what he wants. Casey did the best job of that he could have.
Perhaps you can argue that retaliation is good, but he could very easily have broken that kid's neck with the move. Nearly killing someone is not good in any situation.

Danoss

Clipper said:
Perhaps you can argue that retaliation is good, but he could very easily have broken that kid's neck with the move. Nearly killing someone is not good in any situation.
Not this again. It didn't happen. Moving on...

Choc

Banned
Clipper said:

cause and effect

if the kid wasnt being a shithead he would have never been slammed into the ground

now of course it would have been tragic had he broken the kids neck, but the situation would never have come up if he wasnt being a total dick

Choc

Banned
Sony Australia has not delayed the new motorstorm and its out now. For those who don't know its set in an Earthquake ravaged city

Sony Europe has delayed it to an indefinite date.

Should Sony Aus have done the same? Like I said the other day I am in two minds but if SCEE did it so should Australia especially given Japan is closer to us.

Mar said:
Going to buy the Porsche 959 DLC for NFS Hot Pursuit. It used to be my favourite car back in the 80s and the last time I drove it was Test Drive 2 on the Commodore 64.

I fully expect it to drive like a dog house on wheels. But I can't help but feel excited by it all.

I've played quite a bit of NFSHP over the past number of weeks and I'm getting into it more than I did when it was released. The car I've loved since the mid 90s mops the floor with everyone as they all seem to gravitate to the Bugatti. It's like the Mclaren F1 is some hidden secret amongst the current generation.

Oh, and why I didn't buy Test Drive Unlimited 2. They omitted the Mclaren this time around for some reason.

My biggest problem with NFS:HP is the rubber-band AI. And just behind that complaint is the handling (always takes me ~5 races to get the feel for it again every time I play). Just feels so unnatural.

Finished all the Racer events, but the rubber-band AI just raged me in the Cop events. Gave up on it a couple weeks ago.

Such a shame. Those DLC packs looked great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom