• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
jambo said:
Internet rolls over tomorrow, computer at home is hammering away and downloading as much as possible!
I'd have to download 50106 MB a day for the rest of the month (580Kb/s) to use up all my Internet.

jambo

Yeah we'd have to do 20GB a day, every day of the month to use all of ours up!

NaRwZ.png

jambo said:
Yeah we'd have to do 20GB a day, every day of the month to use all of ours up!
I ended up on one of Optus' 1TB plans (with a $30/month discount) as I was on an old, old plan (60GB/month) and have basically ended up spending less for about 15 times more.

Choc

Banned
i downloaded chaos theory on Live yesterday when i was sick at home

that game shows why Conviction is not a good splinter cell game

Basically my uncle was running a lodge out past taree (it was a farm). My mum has only really started talking to him again in the last few weeks (their family has had all sorts of issues, the uncle who died sort of went crazy and had a mental breakdown a few years ago).

On the weekend he told my mum about some guy who was staying at one of the lodges and that he was going to have to ask him to leave. She didn't think anything of it.

Last night she got a call from my uncles ex wife saying they needed to talk (my mum doesn't talk to her so it was very strange). My mum sort of just remarked that maybe the guy had killed him (she was semi serious but didn't think it would be true).

This afternoon she rang his ex wife and she told her the news. Basically the guy strangled my uncle after my he had a few drinks of wine (presumably after he was asked to leave). My uncles GF had to hide in the bushes all night as he was trying to kill her as well. In the end he just stuck around and stayed in the lodge.

One of the scary things is my parents were actually planning on going out to visit him and if they had they would have been there when this happened. Maybe it could have been prevented or maybe they would be have been killed as well but its a weird situation to think about.

Its such a sad story. I don't want to divulge too much but he has suffered many problems in his life. He was incredibly smart (was involved in some pretty high profile events) and its a shame to see his life end this way.

Gazunta said:
Jesus Adventure, that's awful. Condolences to your family. Hope whoever committed this is brought to justice swiftly.

He never left the scene, he was still there in the morning.

Mar said:
What the fuck dude. My thoughts go to you and your family.

Choc said:
Yeah sorry adventure, condolences :(

Thanks guys.

Choc

Banned
oh dear

A PROMINENT American author and gay rights activist has spoken of his anger after his partner was refused access to a toilet in an Australian restaurant after allegedly being told it was for the use of "real men" only.
Armistead Maupin told how his partner was refused use of the men's restroom at an Alice Springs restaurant - with a member of staff saying the facility was only for "real men," the ABC reported.
Mr Maupin said the incident occurred in Alice Springs, where he and his partner Christopher were on holiday.
He said his partner asked a barman at Bojangles Restaurant and Bar where the restroom was, but was told there was none on the premises.
"I knew they had one because I'd been there the day before and I said, 'What's that over there?' and he gave me a very pointed look and said, 'That's reserved for real men'," Mr Maupin said.

Agyar

Choc said:
i downloaded chaos theory on Live yesterday when i was sick at home

I bought Conviction and it came with a download code for Chaos Theory. I probably won't get around to playing either.

In other news Bulletstorm is rad and I am basically done with Assassin's Creed 2. There are a lot of improvements in it over the first Assassin's Creed but I really struggled to immerse myself in it. At this point I have no plans to finish it and I doubt I'll go on to play the single player of Brotherhood. That said I don't regret buying Brotherhood as the multiplayer is fantastic.

Choc said:
oh dear

A PROMINENT American author and gay rights activist has spoken of his anger after his partner was refused access to a toilet in an Australian restaurant after allegedly being told it was for the use of "real men" only.
Armistead Maupin told how his partner was refused use of the men's restroom at an Alice Springs restaurant - with a member of staff saying the facility was only for "real men," the ABC reported.
Mr Maupin said the incident occurred in Alice Springs, where he and his partner Christopher were on holiday.
He said his partner asked a barman at Bojangles Restaurant and Bar where the restroom was, but was told there was none on the premises.
"I knew they had one because I'd been there the day before and I said, 'What's that over there?' and he gave me a very pointed look and said, 'That's reserved for real men'," Mr Maupin said.
Yup, heard it on Triple J and facepalmed. Nice work.

I agree that Sony should pull the marketing campaign for Motorstorm and not sell the game in New Zealand or Japan for a few months but I don't see the point delaying the game in other countries. It uses earthquakes in it's gameplay but I wouldn't say it centres on it, or that it would be comparable to what has happened in NZ and Japan. Racing dune buggys, etc. through a crumbling world is pretty out there. Hold off the campaign for good taste and avoid having to put the Japanese/NZers through seeing the game on the shelves for a few months but it won't affect me when I walk by EBgames even though the events themselves brought me close to tears.

Sorry to hear Adventure, it would be really surreal to read about it being reported in the paper. Hopefully your family is holding up okay.

Salazar

Choc said:
"I knew they had one because I'd been there the day before and I said, 'What's that over there?' and he gave me a very pointed look and said, 'That's reserved for real men'," Mr Maupin said.[/I]

Time to dig out the list of manly as fuck homosexual dudes throughout history.

Alternatively, time to nuke Alice.

Choc said:
Given that Conviction is the first Splinter Cell I've played for more than five minutes, why would you say it's not a good Splinter Cell game?

I've found the others, with their instafail if you get detected, so frustrating I never bothered. To be honest though, I never played much more than the first one or two and picked Conviction up cheap because the gameplay was (apparently) different to the others.

Aon

codswallop said:
I've found the others, with their instafail if you get detected, so frustrating I never bothered.

My god this frustrates me. Admittedly I played all the SC games after I already had pretty good experience with other stealth games, but the idea that you just instafail is so wrong in almost every situation, aside from one mission in each game which will be crafted such that it's pretty god damn easy to get through.

Conviction is great though. It's certainly not the traditional kind of stealth from Chaos Theory, but it is a really satisfying take on the predatory style of stealth. To me Conviction's implementation of it is better than that Batman game. While there isn't the same fidelity and meticulous pacing as in the earlier SC games, you can react on the fly to more things, so it ends up becoming a bit more about fast thinking than good planning.

Salazar said:
Time to dig out the list of manly as fuck homosexual dudes throughout history.

Alternatively, time to nuke Alice.
Why not both, to start the list how about Sir Ian McKellen. God tier actor.

Also I really enjoyed Conviction. Short but sweet campaign, never had a chance to try the co-op. foreveralone.jpeg

Jambo said:
Stop... potty time!
My future wife calls me over every damn time this comes on the TV. All it does is remind me I don't have any parachute pants :(

markot

Banned
Choc said:
oh dear

He isnt very gay, gay people are witty, he should have said 'right, but which one do you use then?'

Shaneus said:
Fuck. Looks like I've managed to find a substitute for spending money on games. So far today I've bought a second-hand pair of Turtle Beach X41 cans (cheers Neverender!), a NAS device (4-bay, $250 a pop on ht.com.au - cheap!) and am inches away from dropping $130 a month on cable internet.

Still haven't bought a game since my self-imposed ban, though. I'm still winning!
Sooo how are the X41's? Mighty Ape have a massive sale and I'm tempted to grab them. Really want a wireless pair of decent headphones for PC/360/PS3 now that I can't game too loud with the little tacker. Anyone used the PX21? Half the price of x41 but not wireless.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Sooo how are the X41's? Mighty Ape have a massive sale and I'm tempted to grab them. Really want a wireless pair of decent headphones for PC/360/PS3 now that I can't game too loud with the little tacker. Anyone used the PX21? Half the price of x41 but not wireless.
Oh, fucking loving it. Forza 3 sounds bullshit amazing, as does Rez HD :D Just keep in mind that while it does all kinds of Dolby Digital, it doesn't do DTS (I knew this beforehand, but it might be a factor for you) so movies that have a DTS-only audio track will need to be downmixed somehow (though even with Pro-Logic II, it still sounds awesome).

Range is good too... can go to the can and still hear everything clear-as.

Oh, for PC you'll need something that converts all audio to DD so that the cans can use them. I've bought the Asus Xonar U1 USB thingy. Just make sure the soundcard/device has a thing called Dolby Digital Live.

Choc

Banned
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was really the last 'classic' splinter cell where you had to be stealthy. I never really instafailed, you had a few alarms before fail except one mission, maybe you guys played it on hardcore or something.

Conviction is to action focused, its more a third person shooter and out in the open. Splinter Cell traditionally is about stealth and hacking. Who could ever forget infiltrating the CIA in Splinter Cell 1 and hacking the server room, it was totally awesome :)

Conviction is not a bad game, its just a bad splinter cell game.

Ok so Japan

Australian Government telling Australians to leave and have now upped tokyo to Do Not Travel status.

So what are they doing? Well nothing so far.

Britain on the other hand is saying the same thing and has chartered a number of 747 jets to take Brits home.

The same thing happened in Cairo. It took 4 extra days for Australia to pull their finger out to get Aussies out of their in comparison to Britain and even the US.

It's costly sure, but if the other nations are doing it surely its time we step up to the plate and get our fellow aussies out of there if that is what our Government is telling them to do.

Shaneus said:
Oh, fucking loving it. Forza 3 sounds bullshit amazing, as does Rez HD :D Just keep in mind that while it does all kinds of Dolby Digital, it doesn't do DTS (I knew this beforehand, but it might be a factor for you) so movies that have a DTS-only audio track will need to be downmixed somehow (though even with Pro-Logic II, it still sounds awesome).

Range is good too... can go to the can and still hear everything clear-as.

Oh, for PC you'll need something that converts all audio to DD so that the cans can use them. I've bought the Asus Xonar U1 USB thingy. Just make sure the soundcard/device has a thing called Dolby Digital Live.
Awesomeness, hopefully there is room in the budget before they go out of stock at that price. Planning on grabbing an ASUS Xonar DG for my new build so that should cover the DD. You just made my decision a whole lot easier buddy.

Also AssCreedBros was ported very well to PC, no 'Press Start to begin' or anything!

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I think my X41s must be somewhat broken, because they really disappoint me.
I certainly don't notice any improvement in games over my old X11s.
Music is possibly worse.

No wire is nice..
They certainly aren't bad, just not 250 dollars good.

Edit
Also use to have this problem where my xbox wireless wouldn't connect if the headset base station was turned on, but not the headset.
Doesn't happen with my new router though.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Awesomeness, hopefully there is room in the budget before they go out of stock at that price. Planning on grabbing an ASUS Xonar DG for my new build so that should cover the DD. You just made my decision a whole lot easier buddy.

Also AssCreedBros was ported very well to PC, no 'Press Start to begin' or anything!
I just found this in a review:
However, one of the key features of the Xonar series has been given the chop; the DG can't do multichannel digital encoding in the form of Dolby Digital Live. This means that the card can't output 5.1 sound in-game over optical, falling back to stereo instead. It's only an issue if you want to game with speakers hooked up via an optical cable.
Might want to spring for something that supports DDL :)

Shaneus said:
I just found this in a review:

Might want to spring for something that supports DDL :)
Pretty sure I remember reading that here when I asked about the Xonar and I just forgot. Ffffffffffffffffuck. I'll buy the X41 if I can budget it, worry about cards afterwards. :(

markot

Banned
I need to get my sleep pattern back in check >.< I just tend to have trouble getting to sleep.... tips?!

I tend to feel sleepier in the morning or sometimes day than at night.......... Maybe im batman...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Workout before going to sleep? That would have to tire you out.

Pro tip, If it's cold wear a beanie and socks to bed. SO GOOOOOD. This will now be my new ritual and my tmnt beanie now has a purpose.

My back is killing me when i take a step, Hopefully i can get through today and then lie on the ground for the rest of the weekend. I did get given some anti-inflammatories but i can't see that doing much.

markot said:
I need to get my sleep pattern back in check >.< I just tend to have trouble getting to sleep.... tips?!

I tend to feel sleepier in the morning or sometimes day than at night.......... Maybe im batman...
I used to wake up around 10am-11am and my most productive time would be around midnight before going to bed around 3am. Only changed because I work regular hours now and have a child that stops me sleeping through the night, your body will choose whatever hours it is capable of using for sleep. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Tips? I would say sleep troubles are 80% mental, I had a lot of trouble as a teenager and the only thing that helped at that point was listening to music softly. Keep trying things and something will stick for a while.

markot said:
- Make the bedroom as dark as possible
- Use the bedroom only for sleeping (don't use TV or laptop)
- Don't eat for an hour or two before you go to bed (and no sugary or caffeinated drinks)
- Try to get up an hour earlier than normal and thus go to bed an hour earlier than normal until you're at the sleep pattern you want
- If reading a book makes you tired, do that
- Use a white noise generator
- Focus on your breathing -- this will help clear any other thoughts that could keep you awake

Omikron

legend166 said:
I don't need Catholic Bishops telling me not to vote Green.

p.s. churches should not be telling their congregations how to vote.

As per usual in Australia, a great separation between church and state.

BTW, their objections to greens policies seem rather ridiculous.

The letter outlines six areas of ''grave concern'', including the Greens' treatment of personal drug use as a health and social issue ''and therefore acceptable'', and its efforts to legalise gay marriage.

''Changing the law on marriage would expose churches and schools to coercive pressures from the state to cease teaching their beliefs about marriage and family,'' it reads.

Echoing the sentiment of a letter posted on the Christian Schools Australia website this week, it also criticised the party's commitment to remove religious exemptions from the Anti-Discrimination Act, and warned funding cuts to non-government schools would force fees to rise, ''possibly by as much as $1500 a year''.

But Mr Kaye rejected that the Greens would slash school funding by anything like the 85 per cent the bishops' letter claimed.

The NSW Greens' education policy, launched yesterday, calls for the transfer of $780 million a year from state and federal funding of non-government schools to public education. It argues the shift would not cause any Catholic or independent school to need to raise its fees or close its doors.

In particular, note the argument of school funding, heh.

legend166 said:
I don't need Catholic Bishops telling me not to vote Green.

p.s. churches should not be telling their congregations how to vote.

But their reasons for not voting green are the exact reasons I would vote green (if it werent for their over the top idealism and unrealistic economic policies). And to be fair I would say most Australians do agree with the social side of their policies.
Given that i really have no idea who I'm going to vote in the upcoming state election: Labor needs to GTFO of course, but my local liberal member is former One Nation so I cant in good conscious vote for him...so that leaves the greens. Sigh. I guess I'll find out who I vote for on the day.

Shaneus

evlcookie said:
Pro tip, If it's cold wear a beanie and socks to bed. SO GOOOOOD. This will now be my new ritual and my tmnt beanie now has a purpose.
Cut to you taking your rubbish bins in the morning, forgetting that you're *only* wearing a beanie and socks.

Choc

Banned
markot said:

The best advice is if you can't sleep get up, else your body gets used to being in bed and not being asleep

this is not a good thing

You need your body to know that laying down = sleep time. So if you lay on bed watching tv not sleeping, this isnt the best either.

I know it sounds ridiculous but counting sheep works. Why? because you focus on something. If you don't focus on something you are constantly getting frustrated from not being able to sleep and that frustration is actually stopping you sleeping

if all else fails my failsafe is turn talkback radio on, that will put you to sleep in no time as its so boring.

Gazunta

I usually make sure I have a subject to think about while I'm sleeping - usually tomorrow's comic, a plan for what I'll do at work tomorrow or testing myself on trivia about obscure games or Simpsons.

...why am I not surprised Choc listens to talk back radio during his sleep

Shaneus

Melatonin is awesome for sleep issues, too. There was a handy dandy thread on it not so long ago, but I haven't checked it out for some time.

Bernbaum

I can totally see Dr Choc giving out healthy living tips on say, a special segment of Sunrise with Kochy and Mel. White coat, stethoscope, clipboard, clown makeup and everything.

Driving around Perh with Vook is hilarious-

"Here's the spot where some guy got stabbed; here's the intersection where a dude died from heroine; no one got stabbed in this part of the neighborhood so I'll take you to the next place; Oh I know, I'll take you to the interesting part of town, so I'll just lock the car doors."

Agyar

Shaneus said:
Melatonin is awesome for sleep issues, too. There was a handy dandy thread on it not so long ago, but I haven't checked it out for some time.

Considering the hormone Melatonin is produced by the body to regulate circadian rhythm and sleep, I'd say it is. However I've heard that taking supplementary melatonin is ineffective or can actually be harmful to your sleep patterns. Like most dietary supplements, the dosages probably vary wildly and haven't been clinically tested.

Shaneus

Agyar said:
Considering the hormone Melatonin is produced by the body to regulate circadian rhythm and sleep, I'd say it is. However I've heard that taking supplementary melatonin is ineffective or can actually be harmful to your sleep patterns. Like most dietary supplements, the dosages probably vary wildly and haven't been clinically tested.
It does tend to relax me about half an hour after taking it but you definitely don't want to rely on it... more to get you out of a funk. When I had the flu last year I suffered from terrible insomnia and it was the only thing that worked. After a week of dosing on 3mg a night (I think, can't remember the exact dosage, but it was fuck-all) I was back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom