• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydahs

Damn. I wanna jump in on the action, but... it doesn't seem like the right thing to do :/

Well, enjoy your backlog of games :lol

markot

Banned
Still feels bad >.< you guys made me feel bad... Im not gonna install them unless they say I can!

I only got AC2 and RUSE......

trinest

BanShunsaku said:
All Ubi PC games use their wacky DRM don't they? Like you have to be connected to the interwebs at all times to play them?

If so, I guess it will be easy enough to make our keys unusable
Ruse doesn't. It uses Steam Works?

Kritz

Banned
Aw, was readding every single game again from a different IP address and it's 503ing now. :<

This is why we can't have nice things. *closes 60 tabs*

trinest

markot said:
Yeah, I put the key into steam.... nothing better happen to my Steam account if Ubi spazes out >_<!
Yeah thats why I was werry of putting it into mine- but least I got the code for when/if Ubisoft does honor them if they do at all.

I only picked Ruse as well.

Kritz

Banned
hamchan said:
Added RUSE to my steam account....

Already-Dead-e1263400503343.jpg

Omikron

Choc said:
Apparently it was not supposed to be like that (Ubi site)

will be interesting to see how they handle it

Chalk it down to a fuck up? And remove the 'specials' asap.

Pulling keys that people already have in their hands wouldn't be that good for reputation, even if most people realise it was an ubisoft fuck up that they got them for $0.

codswallop said:
Aww man. I missed out on all the free crap I don't want and would never use.

yes, but I now have anniversary presents for my parents and some games for my wife's 95- year old grandfather. If only they had a computer...

Clipper

I'm seriously disappointed in some of you. I thought AusGAF was better than this...

Exploiting others' obvious mistakes just because you can get something for free without repercussion? And then to go on about how you didn't want any of the stuff you just essentially stole? The convicts that were shipped here for stealing a loaf of bread for their families at least had a reason.

Deeku

Clipper said:
3DS?

I was happy to discover yesterday, that my 3DS should be arriving on or before the Aussie launch day too. That's assuming it doesn't take any longer to ship from Amazon than the copy of Okamiden that I am receiving today took.
How do you know this? Did amazon email you?

Ventron

Clipper said:
I'm seriously disappointed in some of you. I thought AusGAF was better than this...

Exploiting others' obvious mistakes just because you can get something for free without repercussion? And then to go on about how you didn't want any of the stuff you just essentially stole? The convicts that were shipped here for stealing a loaf of bread for their families at least had a reason.

We didn't steal it. It was on a promo price for $0.

Fredescu

Clipper said:
And then to go on about how you didn't want any of the stuff you just essentially stole?
Eh? I don't see how this makes it any worse. They're just CD keys aren't they? If they're never activated no one really lost anything. How do Ubi keys even work? If they're tied to an account it should be easy to deactivate them. I'm sure they have a full purchase history. That's kinda Choc levels of over moralisation.

Clipper

commanderdeek said:
How do you know this? Did amazon email you?
Well, Okamiden just arrived at my house and it was shipped in the States on their Tuesday afternoon. The 3DS ships on Sunday the 27th, so the latest Amazon will ship mine is the Monday (they may even be nice and ship it early). I ordered within a minute of it being put onto Amazon's site, so I'm pretty sure mine will be one of the first posted. Thus, given it is the same shipping type, it should arrive on the Thursday or earlier, which is the Aussie release date.

Shaneus

justin.au said:
Does it say something about the quality of HAWX 2 that I didn't even want it for free?
My brother bought it for me a little while ago as a thank you for being his personal taxi and TBH I didn't mind it. Haven't played it for a while though, of course.

Deeku

Clipper said:
Well, Okamiden just arrived at my house and it was shipped in the States on their Tuesday afternoon. The 3DS ships on Sunday the 27th, so the latest Amazon will ship mine is the Monday (they may even be nice and ship it early). I ordered within a minute of it being put onto Amazon's site, so I'm pretty sure mine will be one of the first posted. Thus, given it is the same shipping type, it should arrive on the Thursday or earlier, which is the Aussie release date.
Oh ok, I thought you got a confirmation that it will ship on the 27th or something. I actually pre-ordered early as well, but I cancelled it and re-ordered on Feb23 with some games so they can combine the shipping. Hopefully I can still get the first shipment.

Clipper

Ventron said:
We didn't steal it. It was on a promo price for $0.
There is no way that anybody could seriously consider this promotion to be real. It's fairly insane, if so.

Fredescu said:
Eh? I don't see how this makes it any worse. They're just CD keys aren't they? If they're never activated no one really lost anything. How do Ubi keys even work? If they're tied to an account it should be easy to deactivate them. I'm sure they have a full purchase history. That's kinda Choc levels of over moralisation.
If you don't activate them, then that is fine, I guess. And if they do go and deactivate stuff, I hope nobody complains about said deactivation.

Yes, I am probably overreacting a little bit, but the enthusiasm shown here was just a little bit shocking.

Also, there was a similar case for a game where you could buy players for PES or some similar game on the 360. You could do something that made the store offer you the upgrade packs for free. People that exploited it got their accounts banned, IIRC. Hopefully nothing similar happens here.

commanderdeek said:
Oh ok, I thought you got a confirmation that it will ship on the 27th or something. I actually pre-ordered early as well, but I cancelled it and re-ordered on Feb23 with some games so they can combine the shipping. Hopefully I can still get the first shipment.
Yeah. I was conflicted on what to do when I realised I hadn't ordered games yet. I decided to just pay the extra shipping and go for an extra package. It'll be interesting to track them both, seeing how close together they are when they are scanned at each location.

Good luck on getting yours in the first shipment too!

Omikron

Clipper said:
Yes, I am probably overreacting a little bit, but the enthusiasm shown here was just a little bit shocking.

Also, there was a similar case for a game where you could buy players for PES or some similar game on the 360. You could do something that made the store offer you the upgrade packs for free. People that exploited it got their accounts banned, IIRC. Hopefully nothing similar happens here.

Over reacting a little? Understatement.

How much of a discount has to occur before you would consider the user/purchaser as taking advantage?

jambo

Clipper said:

That's nice, but it's a completely different situation. The PES thing is people using an exploit, this was just the Ubi online store discounting all of the games to $0.00.

If the games do get disabled I won't care, I already own about half of the ones I got, I just wanted some easy to use digital copies.

I hate working, no free Ubi games for me :(

axiom said:
Does anyone have an idea of when the Xperia Play is coming out down here?
I would also like to know more information on what this fine lad has brought up. Free handset coming my way in April/May so I'm wondering if the new range of Sony phones are worth picking up rather than the Galaxy S.

justin.au

reptilescorpio said:
I hate working, no free Ubi games for me :(
What I learnt today is that Ubisoft make some pretty crap games.

The only one I'll actually end up playing is RUSE and that is out of only a very mild interest.

Hey guys, we need 6 more players for the AusGAF DreamTeam.

It starts in less than a week, so if you're interested, please join as soon as possible! :)

Invite Code: 321888

While I don't begrudge anyone from taking advantage of Ubi's mistake, I do agree somewhat with Clipper. This wasn't a promotion and everyone knows that. Everyone knows that because their site wasn't advertising a "FREE FREE FREE FOR THE NEXT 120 MINUTES EVERYTHING IS FREE FREE FREE HAVE WE GONE CRAZY? MAYBE BUT GET THEM WHILE THEY LAST" sale, which you would expect in this situation. Or maybe not. If you've gone that crazy maybe you would forget to advertise it.

Once again, I don't (quite) blame anyone because my immediate thought was to get some games. then, I remembered that I don't play PC Games
deal with it, AusGAF
, don't have the bandwidth to download 7gig games and also because I felt bad about it.

The way I think about it is that, depending on how many Keys get given out could mean someone's job. And no, it's not a case of "tough luck, you shouldn't have made a mistake" because everyone does. The only difference is that in a physical store you can notice the error quicker than online.

I don't know, that's the way I see it. No judgment, though, fellow AusGAFers, it's just my view.

:) <-- included to show that I'm not being all finger-waggy and high-horsey.

Fredescu

Agyar said:
Well done.
No DA2 yet? I know it hasn't been two weeks yet but I had my hopes raised about Ozgameshops shipping times. I'm not home yet to check.

Planet_JASE said:
The way I think about it is that, depending on how many Keys get given out could mean someone's job.
It should mean someones job. Today it's setting the wrong price, tomorrow it's leaving customers personal data open to the public.

Planet_JASE said:
While I don't begrudge anyone from taking advantage of Ubi's mistake, I do agree somewhat with Clipper. This wasn't a promotion and everyone knows that. Everyone knows that because their site wasn't advertising a "FREE FREE FREE FOR THE NEXT 120 MINUTES EVERYTHING IS FREE FREE FREE HAVE WE GONE CRAZY? MAYBE BUT GET THEM WHILE THEY LAST" sale, which you would expect in this situation. Or maybe not. If you've gone that crazy maybe you would forget to advertise it.

Once again, I don't (quite) blame anyone because my immediate thought was to get some games. then, I remembered that I don't play PC Games
deal with it, AusGAF
, don't have the bandwidth to download 7gig games and also because I felt bad about it.

The way I think about it is that, depending on how many Keys get given out could mean someone's job. And no, it's not a case of "tough luck, you shouldn't have made a mistake" because everyone does. The only difference is that in a physical store you can notice the error quicker than online.

I don't know, that's the way I see it. No judgment, though, fellow AusGAFers, it's just my view.

:) <-- included to show that I'm not being all finger-waggy and high-horsey.
I don't think anyone got any games that they were planning on buying anyway. It's not like they downloaded a pirated version of a game they were interested in. Reminds me a bit of the Gaikai service where you will be able to play the first hour of a game as a form of advertisement. I'm sure Ubi could revoke these keys if they wanted to if they really didn't want people to have these free games. It wouldn't stop people who had already downloaded them and taken them offline but anyone connecting the game to the internet wouldn't be able to play anymore.

I really do love http://theagevsheraldsun.tumblr.com/

I don't think someone should be fired for the Ubisoft pricing screw up at all. That person should now be put in charge of investigating and writing a long, boring report about the possible flaws and shortcomings in their system and how to prevent it again. Punishment of sorts with a positive outcome. I'm sure they already feel bad enough about it.

I considered grabbing a few games but then realised that not only would I never play them, I'd feel guilty for getting them when I knew it was immoral to do so. Ubisoft might not be out much (seems like most were grabbing stuff they wouldn't have bought anyway), but biting the hand that feeds you as a gamer seems like the wrong thing to do.

Agyar

Fredescu said:
No DA2 yet? I know it hasn't been two weeks yet but I had my hopes raised about Ozgameshops shipping times. I'm not home yet to check.

Not yet. Interestingly though, my copy of Shogun 2 arrived today, after being ordered and shipped on Saturday.

Dragon Age 2 shipped three days prior but no sign of it as yet.

Fredescu said:
It should mean someones job. Today it's setting the wrong price, tomorrow it's leaving customers personal data open to the public.

Then the day after that it could mean someone's life. Or one of our states could catch fire. Or perhaps the whole country explodes. Maybe the world is turned inside-out and the mole men become the ones ruling the surface world.

Or perhaps the guys that sets the price and has nothing to do with online security made an error.

But yeah, get rid of the guy. I don't fancy the Mole Men being in charge.

reptilescorpio said:
I don't think anyone got any games that they were planning on buying anyway

From what I know of businesses, they never see it that way, though. They'll see every key as a potential lost sale.

Don't get me wrong, this is a huge stuff up by someone and they'll probably measure the mistake by the number of downloads. I've made mistakes and I'd hate to think that everyone that saw my mistake just decided to take advantage of it rather that say something. If this means potentially losing my job or tarnishing my years of excellent service I think they would be a little sad.

At the same time the guy that did this could be a huge uber-douche that never gets anything right and doesn't deserve his job. I just don't want to be a part of the former situation, is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom