• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agyar

Nemesis556 said:
Choc is one of the worst and most opinionated posters ever, discuss.
Lynch touched him in his special area. I think I'll buy and play K&L 2
in 3 months when it's $35 on Zavvi

Mar

Gazunta said:
Don't stress :)

I think you were pretty spot on actually. (To be honest I don't think I've ever read a review of the game I've disagreed with, though there is one notable exception I kept taped to my work desk for years, but that's a whole other story) I learned a lot of lessons from that game, and still remain very proud of it. More proud of the team, really, since they got that game out the door against a very tight deadline.

Anyway, onto more important matters - I think the Wiki should be the entire site, with your reviews featured on the main page of the wiki and also contained in the entry for each particular game. Just a thought, because an Australian-based game wiki is a great idea.

Keep at it!

Phew, thanks.

I will be putting details of the review for every Australian game in the wiki. I do want that to be community driven though so I'd be looking for people to contribute reviews and especially wiki content.

If anyone wants to just get started on editing the wiki then it's simple to create an account and get going. Reviews are a bit more complex as I'd like to read them over first, and I do want a footnote video as well. The videos can be as dodgy as people like though, just look at mine! If I accept a review I'll be taking a photo for each one (unless the contributor wants to take a photo and it looks good) and then post them to the main site. I want to stick to a structure for the reviews basically that look like this:

1. Reasonably serious and well written review using the full 10 point scale (5 is average).
2. Footnote video for each, these can be humorous, serious, or whatever, but should be short (5 minutes).
3. Stylized photo for each review, keeping to the standard of the review itself, which I'm happy to do for other people's reviews if needed.

The wiki is less structured and will be driven by community input. The basic structure is there already and you can quite easily hit the edit button on one of the games, copy the content, then change the URL to the page name you want to create, hit enter, then paste and edit the content. Then hit save to complete making the new page. There's lots to add, so I'd really appreciate people picking something they like and doing that.

Hey Gaz, how about some Party Animals!

Agyar

Mar said:
Phew, thanks.

I will be putting details of the review for every Australian game in the wiki. I do want that to be community driven though so I'd be looking for people to contribute reviews and especially wiki content.

If anyone wants to just get started on editing the wiki then it's simple to create an account and get going. Reviews are a bit more complex as I'd like to read them over first, and I do want a footnote video as well. The videos can be as dodgy as people like though, just look at mine! If I accept a review I'll be taking a photo for each one (unless the contributor wants to take a photo and it looks good) and then post them to the main site. I want to stick to a structure for the reviews basically that look like this:

1. Reasonably serious and well written review using the full 10 point scale (5 is average).
2. Footnote video for each, these can be humorous, serious, or whatever, but should be short (5 minutes).
3. Stylized photo for each review, keeping to the standard of the review itself, which I'm happy to do for other people's reviews if needed.

The wiki is less structured and will be driven by community input. The basic structure is there already and you can quite easily hit the edit button on one of the games, copy the content, then change the URL to the page name you want to create, hit enter, then paste and edit the content. Then hit save to complete making the new page. There's lots to add, so I'd really appreciate people picking something they like and doing that.

Hey Gaz, how about some Party Animals!

What's your positive capture card plan to move Gamecrux forward? Are there cheap home solutions for playing and capturing in HD yet or are we still limited to splitting composite inputs?

teekun

Hey guys, my PS3 shat the bed this week, and it's a US model, so I can't easily get it repaired in any way. I could send it to Sony but that means paying the shipping to the US and back, which will probably end up doubling the cost of the repair.

Does anyone know of a reliable Australian repair service that I might have luck with? It's a backwards-compatible US 60GB model, so I would really rather not replace it if I don't have to.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Pretty sure VKS might have a viable option of place where it could be repaired. You could try leaving it till he sees the thread or popping him a PM and see what he says.

teekun said:
Hey guys, my PS3 shat the bed this week, and it's a US model, so I can't easily get it repaired in any way. I could send it to Sony but that means paying the shipping to the US and back, which will probably end up doubling the cost of the repair.

Does anyone know of a reliable Australian repair service that I might have luck with? It's a backwards-compatible US 60GB model, so I would really rather not replace it if I don't have to.
Beetronix. Google it. Use it. Love it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
legend166 said:
Ok guys I'm going to PM evilore and see if we can go about getting this thread moved back to gaming or OT.

Won't happen!

Also why is L. Ron Hubbard's Dianetics book under house & home at google books? Seems like an odd spot for it.

teekun

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Beetronix. Google it. Use it. Love it.

I'd heard of them but wasn't sure how reliable they were. So will they just do a standard reflow? Or will they actually get more detailed than that with the repair? I'll definitely try it out if I can trust them with the system.

Hmmm they're in Sydney huh? Oh well, I guess I can deal with an extra $15 post if I go with them.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Agyar said:
Why is everyone bent up about the thread being in Online, exactly?

If you're not a member of GAF you can't view it. It's sort of hidden away from the (usual) front page of gaming, which is where most of the traffic goes, so people seem to believe this is causing a disinterest in the actual thread and it's contents. I'm sure some feel that the thread hasn't been moving as quickly as the previous version etc etc.

I don't really care where it is. The lack of lurkers viewing it can be seen as a bad thing but we weren't really bringing in any new blood when it came to extra ausgaf setups like steam or username lists for consoles.

The thread and those who view it have pretty much been the same for months. There are some who have stopped visiting the thread all together because they just can't be arsed, but this isn't due to where it's located.

Agyar

evlcookie said:
If you're not a member of GAF you can't view it. It's sort of hidden away from the (usual) front page of gaming, which is where most of the traffic goes, so people seem to believe this is causing a disinterest in the actual thread and it's contents. I'm sure some feel that the thread hasn't been moving as quickly as the previous version etc etc.

I don't really care where it is. The lack of lurkers viewing it can be seen as a bad thing but we weren't really bringing in any new blood when it came to extra ausgaf setups like steam or username lists for consoles.

The thread and those who view it have pretty much been the same for months. There are some who have stopped visiting the thread all together because they just can't be arsed, but this isn't due to where it's located.

Non-members hardly add anything to the thread so I don't know why we're petitioning to make our generally self-contained conversations so public. As for the apparent drop-off in thread activity, I hardly think it has changed. The thread had been moving slowly in Gaming for months. Having the thread moved back there isn't going to make people start posting again.

Mar

Agyar said:
What's your positive capture card plan to move Gamecrux forward? Are there cheap home solutions for playing and capturing in HD yet or are we still limited to splitting composite inputs?

Moving forward? And you've got me, I know little on the subject. My small amount of research into this matter has me thinking about one of those splitter capture devices and audio iPhone recording, then combine the two. I'd love to hear better ideas.

speedpop said:
Are you going to add all Southern Hemisphere developed games?

Just Australia methinks. Why, what areas did you have in mind?

legend166

Quick, someone tell me if I should hit buy on my Zavvi checkout which contains Darksiders and Brutal Legend on PS3 for a total of $50.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
If the thread gets moved, it will most likely end up as OT and without the sticky. I imagine a new thread must be created every few hundred pages or so as well.

Or Wasabi jumped on his skin and is throwing Australians in the sewers first :lol

Mar said:
Just Australia methinks. Why, what areas did you have in mind?
It was a mere jab! Though I imagine some people would like a certain NZ company with some sort of entry.

Dead Man

Just posting a linke to new online game store. I have no affilliation with it. I have bought a few games from this guy on Ebay, and he now has his own online store:

http://www.ozgameshop.com/

Free shipping to Aus and NZ, I think the games come from the UK, not sure.

He seemed okay when I bought from him on Ebay, I haven't bought anything from his new store yet though.

Agyar

Mar said:
Moving forward?

julia-gillard-pic-ap-251647012.jpg

As for the actual topic, I don't really know. Last time I ever read about that stuff, home solutions seemed to be limited to recording in SD, by using composite output from the 360 which then gets split to a capture card and a display. This option would probably cover your audio to, via RCA connections split in a similar fashion then connected to a line in on the PC.

I don't really know if there is a decent solution for recording in HD. From what I have gathered, the solutions the big websites use are pretty expensive.

Deeku

teekun said:
I'd heard of them but wasn't sure how reliable they were. So will they just do a standard reflow? Or will they actually get more detailed than that with the repair? I'll definitely try it out if I can trust them with the system.

Hmmm they're in Sydney huh? Oh well, I guess I can deal with an extra $15 post if I go with them.
They'll fix it, but it probably won't keep it alive for long. They have a 3 month money back guarantee so it's definitely worth a shot.

I would actually suggest you pay 250 to Sony for a proper job though. Or get a slim.

teekun

commanderdeek said:
They'll fix it, but it probably won't keep it alive for long. They have a 3 month money back guarantee so it's definitely worth a shot.

I would actually suggest you pay 250 to Sony for a proper job though. Or get a slim.

Yeah, well mine's a US backwards-compatible 60GB, so I really don't want to replace it if I don't have to.

The $250 is probably what it'll end up costing me all-up once I send it to the US for repairs if it comes to that.

It's a shame about the fix not lasting very long though :(

markot

Banned
7mate >.<

Seems only ABC is the only one taking multiple channels srsly. Although GO is good. stupid name though...

trinest

evlcookie said:
ozgameshop = 365games.co.uk . Just an aussie version of it or something :D
Wow 365games got a redesign and looks awesome now.

Shame they don't have nunchucks (neither of the sites :/)

Kritz

Banned
Mar, at some point I might actually submit a review-like thing to you and see wot u think. Ever since starting Kritz.net I've wanted to do well written serious reviews, but I don't want to break the style of how my site is currently. Because I'm mainly a PC guy, video reviews won't be much of a problem to put together because FRAPS.

I have a suspicion that my writing style is a bit too unpolished and stylistically different from what you might want, but I'll leave the awkward decisions to you.

Clipper

markot said:
7mate >.<

Seems only ABC is the only one taking multiple channels srsly. Although GO is good. stupid name though...
Well, 7mate is pretty much targeted at our demographic and seems like it will be a good complement to Go.

I do dislike the fact that 9 will be the only channel using their HD channel to simulcast their real channel once 7mate starts up. Of course, I doubt that will last very long now either. Well, I guess there's still SBS HD too...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Just remember Mar, don't ever let your site to the point where you're risking you're Job and Health. Like I am.

It's not terribly fun.

Ydahs

VOOK said:
Just remember Mar, don't ever let your site to the point where you're risking you're Job and Health. Like I am.

It's not terribly fun.
That reminds me. VOOK, you might be someone who could answer this.

I've recently started a site and I'm being crawled by a bunch of weird IPs from odd places such as China and Russia. Some are trying to search for shopping carts while others are trying to access the default PHPMyAdmin directories. In less than a week, my site's homepage has been crawled over 1500 times by an IP located in the US.

Should I just ignore these or find a way to block out these crawls/attacks? I mean, my site's built from scratch so there shouldn't be a concern about default directories being exposed, but I don't really feel comfortable with my site being crawled by someone in Beijing...

Mar

Agyar said:
As for the actual topic, I don't really know. Last time I ever read about that stuff, home solutions seemed to be limited to recording in SD, by using composite output from the 360 which then gets split to a capture card and a display. This option would probably cover your audio to, via RCA connections split in a similar fashion then connected to a line in on the PC.

I don't really know if there is a decent solution for recording in HD. From what I have gathered, the solutions the big websites use are pretty expensive.

Yeah, these are the things I was looking at before. I actually bought one at one stage for a particular reason, but that fell through and I took it back to the shop. I hadn't even opened it yet. The problem with most of those however is they don't have software for a Mac.

ClivePwned said:
http://www.streetwise.com.au/blackmagic-design-blackmagic-video-recorder-p-6319.html

USB component capture. probably available cheaper elsewhere, too.

Oh man, this is exactly what I was after. I'm going to buy one next week. Thanks!

Kritz said:
Mar, at some point I might actually submit a review-like thing to you and see wot u think. Ever since starting Kritz.net I've wanted to do well written serious reviews, but I don't want to break the style of how my site is currently. Because I'm mainly a PC guy, video reviews won't be much of a problem to put together because FRAPS.

I have a suspicion that my writing style is a bit too unpolished and stylistically different from what you might want, but I'll leave the awkward decisions to you.

I would really love your input. You're a creative guy and I like your style, I'm sure I'll like whatever you come up with. If you ever get around to it, I look forward to reading / watching it.

VOOK said:

It's not terribly fun.

I'm already completely miserable in my current job. Anything to distract me from that is a good thing. I do heed your warning though.

hirokazu

evlcookie said:
I think people have used these guys before - http://www.beetronix.com.au/

Although wait for more replies as i haven't used them and i'm not sure if that's the actual website. But the name is certainly familiar.
I brought my PS3 to Beetronix in February after having the BD laser die over Christmas, came back an hour later and it was all fun and games so far since. Dunno what fairy magic he did, but it was good.

teekun said:
Yeah, well mine's a US backwards-compatible 60GB, so I really don't want to replace it if I don't have to.

The $250 is probably what it'll end up costing me all-up once I send it to the US for repairs if it comes to that.

It's a shame about the fix not lasting very long though :(
What exactly is not working on your PS3?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Ydahs said:

I've recently started a site and I'm being crawled by a bunch of weird IPs from odd places such as China and Russia. Some are trying to search for shopping carts while others are trying to access the default PHPMyAdmin directories. In less than a week, my site's homepage has been crawled over 1500 times by an IP located in the US.

Should I just ignore these or find a way to block out these crawls/attacks? I mean, my site's built from scratch so there shouldn't be a concern about default directories being exposed, but I don't really feel comfortable with my site being crawled by someone in Beijing...

You could do some sort of robot scanning protection (Google for robots.txt) if you wanted, but some of it may be Google and other search engines but what you're saying is true then yeah could be hackers.

I'm also interested in reviewing games for your webiste.

In fact I am playing Shadowrun at the moment so I can probably review that for you :D

Ydahs said:

if you have AWstats (through your host- ie go to yourdomain/cpanel or similar and log in, load awstats)

there will be the top 20 IP addresses (or every single one if you like)
copy and paste the IP's into an IP search engine (google something like IP location or similar). You should get an idea of where the IP is located. If it's China or Russia, block away. If you can work out how to put an IP range, you'll block a lot more than just one specific address.

To block the offending IP, look for a security section and an IP Deny Manager. Enter the IP and save it. Voila!

You'll have to realise if you host pics, people will hot link to them on forums and there's little you can do (other than stick them on photobucket). If you have a podcast or mp3s, expect gigs and gigs to be going to China. For what reason, i don't know.

ClivePwned said:
You'll have to realise if you host pics, people will hot link to them on forums and there's little you can do (other than stick them on photobucket). If you have a podcast or mp3s, expect gigs and gigs to be going to China. For what reason, i don't know.

They have insane plans for their Internet. Also they're trying to download the Internet.

Nemesis_

We bought a bootleg of a MUSE concert once and it had footage my mate shot and put onto YouTube so I could see it. Was hilarious. :lol

Ydahs

ClivePwned said:
if you have AWstats (through your host- ie go to yourdomain/cpanel or similar and log in, load awstats)

there will be the top 20 IP addresses (or every single one if you like)
copy and paste the IP's into an IP search engine (google something like IP location or similar). You should get an idea of where the IP is located. If it's China or Russia, block away. If you can work out how to put an IP range, you'll block a lot more than just one specific address.

To block the offending IP, look for a security section and an IP Deny Manager. Enter the IP and save it. Voila!

Thanks. A lot of the IPs had reports on them online and were bots which spam message boards.

I'm running my server through PuTTY, which sucks since I'm a linux newbie. I guess that's why I've just been ignoring these attacks up until now. I did manage to add rules to something called iptables which can support IP ranges. My site focuses on AFL and I doubt there'd be many from outside Australia that are interested, so I'm going to have a fun time blocking all these potential threats.

well, the chinese are big Premier League (soccer) fans so maybe there's a nascent AFL- supporting culture happening. You'll wake up one day and they've bought a struggling club.

I've often toyed with just embedding anti-communist slogans/ supporting falun-whatever in the CSS Header files for various reasons

1- Chinese Govt. might censor the site and stop the spam from their end
2- just for shits and/or giggles

Mar

untoldhero said:
I'm also interested in reviewing games for your webiste.

In fact I am playing Shadowrun at the moment so I can probably review that for you :D

Sounds great. In fact I'd like to take submissions of reviews from as many people as possible and if they turn out well I'll make them 'the official Gamecrux review'. If they aren't quite up to that then I'll still post them on the front page but as a user contribution thing.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
You might need more power than a macbook air for your video capture stuff Mar. But it may just do it.

There's the Elgato Video Capture (one at NUSR) but it's elgato and 640x480 res. I'm not too sure what that blackmagic does in resolutions. Probably not HD either.

It looks like blackmagic have another device called the intensity but it doesn't do 1080p, it does 1080i and below. Might be too expensive though - http://blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/ - $275 going by their AU website and i assume it works on a mac.

You should just buy a 6 core mac pro and throw in a capture card Mar. Totally worth it *wink wink*

Mar

evlcookie said:
You might need more power than a macbook air for your video capture stuff Mar. But it may just do it.

There's the Elgato Video Capture (one at NUSR) but it's elgato and 640x480 res. I'm not too sure what that blackmagic does in resolutions. Probably not HD either.

It looks like blackmagic have another device called the intensity but it doesn't do 1080p, it does 1080i and below. Might be too expensive though - http://blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/ - $275 going by their AU website and i assume it works on a mac.

You should just buy a 6 core mac pro and throw in a capture card Mar. Totally worth it *wink wink*

The intensity is natively Mac, and yeah that's the thing I'm buying. I need something simple, something I can plug in and start recording on. While I'd love to buy a MBP (my Air shits me), I'm holding off on going too far with money outlay for this project this early.

Also, I've just popped in a quick post on the site explaining how people can get involved: http://www.gamecrux.com/

The problem I have is that I hardly have time to get stuck into this stuff generally. Get up at 7:45, go to work, get home at 8:00pm, eat dinner, go to bed, do it all over again. So if anyone has any inclination to update stuff that would be great. I'm happy to create accounts on the main page for people who want to contribute interesting news or general gaming banter.

giri

Mar said:
The intensity is natively Mac, and yeah that's the thing I'm buying. I need something simple, something I can plug in and start recording on. While I'd love to buy a MBP (my Air shits me), I'm holding off on going too far with money outlay for this project this early.

Also, I've just popped in a quick post on the site explaining how people can get involved: http://www.gamecrux.com/

The problem I have is that I hardly have time to get stuck into this stuff generally. Get up at 7:45, go to work, get home at 8:00pm, eat dinner, go to bed, do it all over again. So if anyone has any inclination to update stuff that would be great. I'm happy to create accounts on the main page for people who want to contribute interesting news or general gaming banter.

Just record you 4 playing gaymes at nights on the weekend. I can only imagine ploks language in a review will add to their sales, and your credibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom