• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizzi

Same thing happened to me today, "attempted delivery" and now I have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up when I have work. Great.

I guess they just look at the package and go "Eh knocking on the door is too much work, I guess I could just leave it here and fake a signature.."

jambo

Our Optus NBN pretty much hits full stride, especially when downloading on Steam.

Get around 49/18

Steam does 6 MB/sec
XBone is 4.5 MB/sec
PS4 down around 2-3 MB/sec

All ethernet.

Our Optus NBN pretty much hits full stride, especially when downloading on Steam.

Get around 49/18

Steam does 6 MB/sec
XBone is 4.5 MB/sec

All ethernet.

My steam has gone to shit recently. I use Steam Limiter to force it to download from the local unmetered one, yay 100/100 limits. On new popular stuff, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, I get constant 5.7MB/sec but on stuff no one else is interested in I get dial-up or not at all at times. I assume it's some caching issue as say when the Humble Monthly drops I get full speed on those, but I downloaded the masterpiece Intergalactic Bubbles yesterday and it took 15mins for about 70MB.

jambo

My steam has gone to shit recently. I use Steam Limiter to force it to download from the local unmetered one, yay 100/100 limits. On new popular stuff, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, I get constant 5.7MB/sec but on stuff no one else is interested in I get dial-up or not at all at times. I assume it's some caching issue as say when the Humble Monthly drops I get full speed on those, but I downloaded the masterpiece Intergalactic Bubbles yesterday and it took 15mins for about 70MB.

Yeah, it's a bit hit and miss when using Steam Limiter.

None of the companies hosting local Steam severs (Internode, Telstra, iiNet) actually have any say in how they are set up or what content is on them, that's all on Valve still. Internode's selection got a lot bigger a few years ago when they moved it on to their CDN, but there will still be gaps.

Luckily our Optus NBN is unlimited, so I don't have to use Steam Limiter any more.

Cerity

Y'all are going to have fun when optus decide to rip up their network in the next 5 years or so.

But maybe that's too hasty given the current fucking government and their treatment of the NBN.

Getting super annoyed with how Aus Post is acting lately.
They don't bother to knock anymore. Registered post that requires someone to sign for it? Best shove that in either the mailbox, or if they even bother to enter my yard leave it on my front steps.

it's peak season for them so even more reason to not even bother.

Quasar

it's peak season for them so even more reason to not even bother.

Doesn't happen to me, AustPost always delivery properly. Its couriers I have issues with, with them putting missed you cards in my letterbox whilst I'm home waiting for packages or dumping packages on verandas.

Quasar

Get around 49/18

Steam does 6 MB/sec
XBone is 4.5 MB/sec

All ethernet.

Pretty much in line with my 100/40 (well technically its more like 95/36), which seems to get around 12 MB with Steam. not really sure how to measure the PS4. But yeah that kind of speed is quite nice. A nice relief from the past of taking days to preload a 40 GB game.

Cerity

Doesn't happen to me, AustPost always delivery properly. Its couriers I have issues with, with them putting missed you cards in my letterbox whilst I'm home waiting for packages or dumping packages on verandas.

Used to have a great courier, but she's working in another suburb now and we only see her on saturdays now.

New one doesn't even come up our driveway, if it doesn't fit in our mailbox they just card it and that's most of the packages too. We've made a few complaints and the guys at the LPO also agree it's pretty bullshit but nothing has changed.

Postie is pretty bad too.

Shaneus

I only get about 46/7 on my iinet/transact. :(
We have the benefit of being (I think) built initially with super-solid infrastructure. It was Neighbourhood Cable yonks ago, then it became TransACT and then iiNet. I think the former former did it right in the first place.

Fun side note: The guy who seems to manage the cable in Geelong was my boss in a computer store I used to work at... a VERY long time ago.

Ask Jase to take a picture! Mine still isn't here yet either.
Mine can't be far off. Not that I even care anymore.

Certainly not worth interacting with Jase over. But nothing really is.

Maybe it's not a national thing, but I thought all HFC connections were unmetered now? I know mine is. $80/month for unlimited cable.

jambo

Edit: Never mind, I am a dodo head.

Here's your new avatar

R5Y4dTx.png

Maybe it's not a national thing, but I thought all HFC connections were unmetered now? I know mine is. $80/month for unlimited cable.

Transact/iiNet is a pretty old system in Canberra, FTTN and while nodes should be <300m away from every house, mine is something around 1.1km. The whole system is a walled garden and they only allow approved ISPs in so there are no unlimited deals.

The NBN just built a node about 350m from my place so hopefully that will push competition.

mandiller

Not that I want to turn Ausgaf into a buy/sell place but I've got some spare graphics cards I want to sell. They could make a good Christmas present.

I'm based in Brisbane and happy to meet up, I'd also consider posting (in Australia only). These cards are all in excellent condition and were used in render computers that are no longer needed. I'd be happy to see them get a new home in someone's gaming rig.

2x GTX 680 2GB ($140 each)
2x GTX 780 3GB ($190 each)
2x R9 290X 4GB ($250 each)

Let me know if you're interested.

Fogz

I was playing it in bed last night and the scene changed so a black loading screen was up. I saw my reflection on the screen and I was grinning like an idiot.

The game really is something special.

Both times I finished it (once on ps2, once on vita) I felt sad and empty that it was over.

And they keep delaying P5! :(

Jintor

I was playing it in bed last night and the scene changed so a black loading screen was up. I saw my reflection on the screen and I was grinning like an idiot.

The game really is something special.

They also always choose fucking dope songs for the ending to persona games where you're like "fuck yes I had a good time"

Note haven't beaten p5 yet

Both times I finished it (once on ps2, once on vita) I felt sad and empty that it was over.

And they keep delaying P5! :(
I'm honestly considering trying to get my wife to play it and she normally hates video games! I told her about it and she was like "Uh, but how can a video game have a story?"

But then I remember Mara and second guess that impulse.

They also always choose fucking dope songs for the ending to persona games where you're like "fuck yes I had a good time"

Note haven't beaten p5 yet
They really know how to tug at the heart strings, don't they?

I'm tempted to get a PS4 just for this game.

I love that they put it on Valentine's Day and then delayed it.

Now Persona fans will have 2 reasons to be sad on Valentine's Day.
Ha! Joke's on them, I always have a date on Valentines...

*checks calendar*

*sees that the 14th is right in the middle of a work swing in a remote area*

God damn it!

AARNet 4...

.eJwFwUEOwiAQAMC_8ABgF6HQG9Ev6J0AoSRtIbB6qPHvznzZe-xsZRtRn6sQqc7YRuKT2ggl89Ja2XPodfLYDhGIQtyOfNIUoLV0qLRSyhhpFkSBNyvVAugcGECQ1on754LH63p670eylfezsN8fGwkkyA.g7bIYt-FUWtPCIUQ4Ic99v7e_GY

I get about 100mb/s and 12MB/s from Steam at home (Optus HFC). When it's not congested.
AARNet is great :)

At home I'm on Telstra EuroDOCSIS 3 cable (110 Mbps down, 2.4 Mbps up). Supposedly we'll be on DOCSIS 3.1 if the NBN ever comes to town (I'm 5km out of the Sydney CBD).

Quasar

And so 2016 claims another, Alan Thicke. Fond memories of that TV Dad. Thankfully untainted by Kirk Camerons journey to crazytown.

Shaneus

Transact/iiNet is a pretty old system in Canberra, FTTN and while nodes should be <300m away from every house, mine is something around 1.1km. The whole system is a walled garden and they only allow approved ISPs in so there are no unlimited deals.

The NBN just built a node about 350m from my place so hopefully that will push competition.
Ah, didn't realise you were FTTN, figured it would've been cable as well.

Quasar

So Amazon Prime Video has officially opened up for Australians as it has a few other countries. I spotted it via amazon.com.au and they are offering a 6 month special of US$2.99 a month. Curious that they list it in USD even on the .com.au site.

I guess that would mean you'd need an actual Australian amazon account to access the offer.

Kind of curious to see just how limited the range of content is. Like whether it has the amazon exclusive anime.

MoonGred

Does anyone know what to do with excess sand?

We had our landscaping done and had a bunch of left over sand which they conveniently left on our neighbors property.
I've got no clue where to get rid of it.

Does anyone know what to do with excess sand?

We had our landscaping done and had a bunch of left over sand which they conveniently left on our neighbors property.
I've got no clue where to get rid of it.

Lots of native plants like sandy well drained soil. Banksia's, Grevillia's, Waratahs etc... anything from the Sydney area. Or just advertise free sand on Gumtree and it'll be gone in minutes!

jambo

So Amazon Prime Video has officially opened up for Australians as it has a few other countries. I spotted it via amazon.com.au and they are offering a 6 month special of US$2.99 a month. Curious that they list it in USD even on the .com.au site.

I guess that would mean you'd need an actual Australian amazon account to access the offer.

Kind of curious to see just how limited the range of content is. Like whether it has the amazon exclusive anime.

I just signed up, great to be able to watch all that stuff legally.

EDIT: Weird, Seinfeld is on here. So much for Stan's "exclusive"

EDIT EDIT: Also Stan lists Transparent as an exclusive as well haha

Rahk

I think I may have lost my Vita.

Maybe fell out of my bag at the airport. If that was the case, I didn't realise until a month later (cause Vita lol). I think it had my Japanese copy of Persona 4 in it...

That's awesome news. Now that piracy has been finally vanquished, distributors can really jack up the local prices. Another win for commerce. Huzzah!

jambo

Well apparently The Grand Tour had millions of illegal downloads, and it's now available legally in Australia.

Good timing Amazon.

I though Isohunt had gone legit a few years ago and I've never heard of the rest! Seems like just another pointless and expensive losing game of whack-a-mole from those who's understanding of the internet is poor at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom