• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Jintor

Mar said:
Right.

Why?

Because some of the site's download files are corrupt.

n5t2ix.jpg

Shaneus

Salazar said:
For my own good, I will refrain.

That's pretty sweet, though. Even allowing for maybe ten of those eggs to be deficient or icky in some respect.
Since I ordered my box (which is sitting in the freezer as we speak) I've had *maybe* 5 or 6. Honestly thought I would've demolished them by now.

codswallop said:
Anyone got much recent experience with washing machines? Looking at getting one of these to replace our eight year old Samsung cheap one: http://bosch-home.com.au/appliances...s/front-loaders/WAE24462AU.html?source=browse
Been rocking a Miele front loader for the past few years. A mate of mine bought it brand new, then sold it to another mate when he moved to Sydney. He ended up living with me for a year at it was a joy to use. When he moved out he ended up putting it in his back yard for 18 months until I bought it off him for $50. Cleaned it out and ran some detergent through it and it has been running like a dream for the past 9 months. Uses barely any water and the clothes come out of the 40 minute cycle looking like new. Highly recommend getting a front loader.

Salazar

reptilescorpio said:
Highly recommend getting a front loader.

Me too, though I am a hand-wash purist.

If I take a liking to a beefier GPU down the line, what else am I likely to have to swap out in my build ?

I'm developing a bit of a book back-log. What should I read first?
I have American Psycho, The Great Gatsby, The Big Sleep and Sideshow (Lindsay Tanner's book).

Salazar

roosters93 said:
I'm developing a bit of a book back-log. What should I read first?
I have American Psycho, The Great Gatsby, The Big Sleep and Sideshow (Lindsay Tanner's book).

This would be my order.

The Big Sleep.
The Great Gatsby.
Tanner's Book.
American Psycho.

FUCK, Niki Savva was intolerable on this morning's Insiders.

Dead Man

Bill Hunter has died, 71.
Many of Australia's most iconic films have one thing in common: Bill Hunter, who has died at the age of 71.

The screen legend passed away on Saturday night surrounded by family and friends at a Melbourne hospice after a battle with cancer.

A stalwart of the Australian film industry, his 100-plus movie and television credits read like a potted history of home-grown film and television.

Hunter will be remembered by his myriad of fans for his frequent turns as the archetypal gruff but lovable Australian bloke.

Who could forget his portrayal of lovable and accepting outback mechanic Bob in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert?

Or as the loyal Major Barton in Gallipoli, in one of the most memorable final scenes in Australian film history.

Or as Muriel's father Bill Heslop, the scheming and ambitious councilman of Porpoise Spit, in Muriel's Wedding.

"You can't stop progress," he said as Heslop.

But you also couldn't stop Hunter.

He got his taste of acting as an uncredited extra in Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner's On the Beach in 1959 and never looked back in a career spanning more than 50 years.

He completed his last two on-screen performances last year - a cameo in Kriv Stenders's Red Dog and his final role as Bart Cummings in Simon Wincer's The Cup.

Red Dog is slated for an August 11 release while The Cup will be released on October 13.

Born in Ballarat, Hunter fell into acting when illness forced him to pull out of Australia's Olympic swimming team.

He became famous for his frequent characterisations of the archetypal gruff but lovable Australian bloke and over the years worked with a virtual who's who of notable Aussie actors.

They included the likes of Nicole Kidman, Mel Gibson, Hugo Weaving, Hugh Jackman and Toni Collette.

Hollywood actor Rachel Griffiths remembered Hunter fondly when she was interviewed by Andrew Denton in 2004.

Denton asked Griffiths about working with Hunter on the set of Muriel's Wedding, back when she was a little-known Australian actor.

"He was so sweet," Griffiths said.

"I was sitting with him at lunch and he said 'So how are you going, Rache?' I hadn't really talked to him.

"This is, like, Bill Hunter. And I said, 'Oh...oh... I'm doing alright but I really think they're going to sack me. And I'm just waiting'.

"And I was so paranoid that every time I saw the director and producer talking together I'm sure they were having the discussion about it and he was going to come and tell me. And he just said... He leans forward and he says, 'Oh, Rache...' He goes, 'I've been waiting 40 years - they never find out'."

Dedication to Australian screen

Hunter also worked with Australia's best-loved directors, such as Stephan Elliott, Peter Weir, PJ Hogan and Phillip Noyce.

Baz Luhrmann also directed Hunter twice - the first as meddling judge Barry Fife in Strictly Ballroom in 1992, and the second in the 2008 epic Australia.

But Hunter did not limit himself to film - he cut his acting teeth in television roles in the 60s and 70s, with roles in Doctor Who, Skippy, Homicide, Matlock Police, Prisoner and even Dynasty.

His later television credits would include The Pacific, Stingers, White Collar Blue, Water Rats, On the Beach, All Saints, Sea Change, Moby Dick, Blue Murder, Minder, A Fortunate Life, The Flying Doctors, Eureka Stockade and The Dismissal.

He was an award-winner too, earning an AFI for Best Actor in a Leading Role in 1978 for his part as Len Maguire in the movie Newsfront, which won eight AFIs that year, including Best Film.

In Hunter's long list of productions, there was a common theme - his dedication to Australian film and television.

His uniquely Australian twang was perfect for animated films such as Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole and as the dentist in Finding Nemo.

He made Australia laugh in comedies like Bad Eggs and Crackerjack and the 1970s bushranger movies Ned Kelly and Mad Dog Morgan.

On stage, he returned to the role of Bob the mechanic in the stage version of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert - 14 years after the movie premiered.

Hunter even dabbled in politics, lending himself to the Australian Labor Party to star in the Keating government's controversial Working Nation advertisements.

Hunter's well-known face was reproduced on canvas in 2005, when he was the subject of a portrait by Jason Benjamin, which ended up winning the Archibald Packing Room Prize.

"I think when you sit down with him and it's just one-on-one he's a formidable man, he's got quite a stare," Benjamin said of Hunter.

Of the portrait, Hunter said: "I think it's bloody wonderful. It's a bit scary, but it is bloody marvellous. I think he has literally taken my clothes off there."

Hunter was married to Rhonda Roberts, but the couple were divorced in 1999.
r769075_6528763.jpg

RIP

Salazar

Dead Man said:
God almighty. What an ignorant knob.

THIS IS THE ENDGAME FOR IGNORANT KNOBS.

Especially the kind who think the Enlightenment project was to enshrine Judaeo-Christian thinking and the primacy of its institutions in the operation of the state.

Gazunta

Bill Hunter played Bubo in Legend of the Guardians and we had to cut his character out of the game early on :/

in other news, I just discovered that retro gaming shirts on retrogt.com all have free worldwide shipping. God DAMN it I'm trying to save money here :(

Oh speaking of which Alan Wake on 360 is like fifteen bucks including free shipping from thehut.

I think I'm doing all my shopping like this from now on. Looking forward to playing L.A. Noire in a year from now!

Shaneus

Gazunta said:
in other news, I just discovered that retro gaming shirts on retrogt.com all have free worldwide shipping. God DAMN it I'm trying to save money here :(
Holy shit, those shirts are awesome! Manage to toe the line of stylish and geeky *perfectly*.

You've just cost me God-knows how much, Gaz. Cheers.

Edit: Fuck them for putting their name on some of the designs, though. If a shirt is good enough for me to be wearing, I'm sure as shit going to tell curious people where I got it from.

Salazar said:
AAARGHHH UUUURRGGHHH. You couldn't name a single philosopher associated with it, you cow-poking creep.
National party. As a country boy I find them funny. As a member of this country I find them offensive. As a son of parents who vote National and wonder why they continue to be mistreated by politicians I shake my head.

Shaneus said:
It's only "best before", not "use by". If you freeze them, have one a week until next Easter!

hmmm.... that's true. but considering how long chocolate lasts, to have the used by date be next month they must be pretty old :s

Shaneus

Use the "one a week" theory to justify purchasing them in the first place, then the "shit, gotta eat them all by the end of June" to gorge yourself on them. Or give them to the homeless, I guess!

Salazar

shanshan310 said:
hmmm.... that's true. but considering how long chocolate lasts, to have the used by date be next month they must be pretty old :s

The Creme Egg was introduced in 1963 (branded as Fry's Creme Egg), so we have a date to work forward from.

They also used to be minutely larger (40g, down to the current 39g).

Shaneus

Because they completely transform when you freeze them. I never "got" the obsession with them over the past few years until I finally started freezing them. They still taste like crap to me when at room temp, but when frozen there's just nothing like them.

Gazunta

Shaneus said:
Edit: Fuck them for putting their name on some of the designs, though. If a shirt is good enough for me to be wearing, I'm sure as shit going to tell curious people where I got it from.
Yeah, as I said a few pages ago, I REALLY hate wearing shirts with writing on them, and that goes double for someone else's URL, unless it's for a brand I genuinely want to endorse.

The Speedball Brutal Deluxe shirt looks glorious except for their sodding URL on it. Grr.

Actually now that I think about it I'm doubly pissed because it's not like any of this money goes to any of the Bitmap Brothers. I hate other people slapping their names on things they didn't create.

Grr.

Shaneus

Gazunta said:
Yeah, as I said a few pages ago, I REALLY hate wearing shirts with writing on them, and that goes double for someone else's URL, unless it's for a brand I genuinely want to endorse.

The Speedball Brutal Deluxe shirt looks glorious except for their sodding URL on it. Grr.

Actually now that I think about it I'm doubly pissed because it's not like any of this money goes to any of the Bitmap Brothers. I hate other people slapping their names on things they didn't create.

Grr.
What I wouldn't give for a run of Bitmap Brothers clothing/other merch. I'd pay stupid amounts for an NFL-style sports top with Brutal Deluxe colours/logos/lettering on them. A Magic Pockets tee would be awesome, too. They can plaster the BB logo wherever the fuck they want, too... only because it actually looks good.

Dead Man

Shaneus said:
Holy shit, those shirts are awesome! Manage to toe the line of stylish and geeky *perfectly*.

You've just cost me God-knows how much, Gaz. Cheers.

Yeah, there's some sweet designs on there, but I hate paying for the privilege of advertising a business.

Gazunta said:

Grr.

I am the same. The only shirts I have with writing on them are my band tshirts (a few) and a To Write Love On Her Arms charity tshirt.

Salazar

Dead Man said:
Yeah, there's some sweet designs on there, but I hate paying for the privilege of advertising a business.

Vaguely related - that Matthew Perrin dude (former owner of Billabong) screwed himself over so amazingly hard. Had an affair with a dodgy cougar. Leaked insane money on a mini-mart scheme in China and an ugly Gold Coast house.

The saving grace, I suppose, is that he isn't in debt to gangs. So far as we know.

Shaneus said:

Out of curiosity, do you mind logos? ie. the nike swoosh on clothes?

Gazunta

I think the only shirts I wear that have brands / logos on them are various Krome shirts, a Warner Brothers E3 one I got at last years E3, a Giant Bomb shirt I got for subscribing to them, and a POKER SMASH shirt because Poker Smash is the game God would have made if he made video games.

I ended up ordering the Bubble Bobble and Pac-Man / Space Invaders shirts.

I wonder if I should make some Funnywebcomic shirts.

Shaneus

bodyboarder said:
Out of curiosity, do you mind logos? ie. the nike swoosh on clothes?
Don't mind them, but usually one buys those items *because* of the logo. Chuck Taylor shoes, for example. For those shirts, I'm buying them for the design, not (as Gaz said) to advertise someone's website.

Bernbaum

Yeah, play LA Noire in black and white. It improves the game's presentation both graphically and stylisticially.

The exceptional facial animations go from OMG to ZOMG.

Madrical

Banned
Bernbaum said:
Yeah, play LA Noire in black and white. It improves the game's presentation both graphically and stylisticially.

The exceptional facial animations go from OMG to ZOMG.
Noted, I was on the fence but I'll give it a go now. Started the first largeish case on Friday night and haven't gotten back into it, but was really enjoying it.

Also, Brink is $39 and DA2 is $28 on PC at Ozgameshop. Is DA2 that bad, or worth getting? For comparisons sake I got bored of DA1 about 30 hours in. The fade was one of the most boring, horrible quests I've ever done.

Top Bottom