• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Fogz

Mistle said:
Do they definitely have it though? My local EB still doesn't have stock in, but they've assured me they'll sell as soon as it arrives.

I am assuming they don't. The thing is they don't say "Oh yeah we will when stock arrives", they just give me the robot response "We are unable to sell it to you until June 30th". I'm starting to think no ones actually told them yet.

Fogz said:
I am assuming they don't. The thing is they don't say "Oh yeah we will when stock arrives", they just give me the robot response "We are unable to sell it to you until June 30th". I'm starting to think no ones actually told them yet.
You could always hunt down a scan of a receipt from a different EB store (assuming the closer to where you are, the better).

Had my orientation day today at the school I'm going to be doing my internship at, it's going to be a hectic 10 weeks. My colleague teacher is also the Assistant principle and Supervisor, she is nice but very 'by the books'.

I was also asked to coach the schools oztag team by one of the staff, which I was happy to accept, it will be great experience. All in all I'm pretty happy with my school, the kids are great (going to be hard learning 50 names though) and my CT is nice. :)

Fogz

codswallop said:
You could always hunt down a scan of a receipt from a different EB store (assuming the closer to where you are, the better).

Yeah thats an idea. I may as well just wait till Thursday now though.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Fogz said:
Yeah thats an idea. I may as well just wait till Thursday now though.

EBGAMES-ZELDA-RECEIPT.jpg

?????????????

Mistle

I just got a text from EB... it's definitely not in stock as I went instore today. But this text says

"Hi (Mistle), GREAT NEWS! EB exclusive preorder offer when you pick up Zelda: Ocarina Edition; call EB Games at" etc etc

Wonder what it is?

Mistle said:
I just got a text from EB... it's definitely not in stock as I went instore today. But this text says

"Hi (Mistle), GREAT NEWS! EB exclusive preorder offer when you pick up Zelda: Ocarina Edition; call EB Games at" etc etc

Wonder what it is?
The preorder offer is a mario/Mario kart poster if you roll over your preorder to one of those games. Nothing to get excited about.

Mistle

Neverender said:
The preorder offer is a mario/Mario kart poster if you roll over your preorder to one of those games. Nothing to get excited about.
lol, ah well. Thought maybe they'd include that Zelda poster they used to advertise or something.

Rezbit

Died 4 times now in OoT. I am trying to get through the Shadow Temple quickly and rushing because it's the weakest temple.

....shut up.

Cohsae

Rezbit said:
Died 4 times now in OoT. I am trying to get through the Shadow Temple quickly and rushing because it's the weakest temple.

....shut up.
Tell me that you're not one of those people who thinks that the Water Temple is the hardest puzzle ever devised, and you will be judged much less harshly.

iTunes
on Windows
is such a POS.
Trying to put the second beta of iOS5 on my iPhone and iPad is taking me all night.

fake edit: fffufuu just noticed the time. I missed Mediawatch and the start of Q&A. :(

Rezbit

Cohsae said:
Tell me that you're not one of those people who thinks that the Water Temple is the hardest puzzle ever devised, and you will be judged much less harshly.

I *love* the Water Temple. Never really found it difficult, find that it flows quite nicely. Probably only prefer the Forest Temple more, and mostly just for the awesome song.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
VOOK said:
Resident Evil: Mercenaries is apparently out now, a week or two early. $55 at EB.

More street date breaking?

Well, only three/four days early. Its due out on the 30th.

Is it all EBs? If so I'll go collect a copy tomorrow morning.

VOOK

Kerrby said:
I'm very jealous of your website Vooks.

Jealous of my site? Why's that? :p

Gazunta said:
It doesn't look like it was designed on the back of a bar napkin.

Of course not, I designed it. Took me a year to build it as well.

EatChildren said:
Well, only three/four days early. Its due out on the 30th.

Is it all EBs? If so I'll go collect a copy tomorrow morning.

Yeah it got bumped up to the 30th just recently, apparently now EB have been told to stop selling it. So you might be out of luck.

I have never played more then 1 hour of OoT even though I own various versions of it. I don't find it bad, just not as good as other Zeldas. *runs*

Mistle

VOOK said:
Yeah it got bumped up to the 30th just recently, apparently now EB have been told to stop selling it. So you might be out of luck.
They haven't also been told to stop selling Zelda have they? Or is it too late to even bother with trying to stop that?

I heard from your site that Nintendo cancelled their OoT EB launch party. Ouch.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
VOOK said:

Buugh. I'll wander to my local tomorrow morning and ask anyway. Maybe if I cry they'll cave.

VOOK

Mistle said:
They haven't also been told to stop selling Zelda have they? Or is it too late to even bother with trying to stop that?

I heard from your site that Nintendo cancelled their OoT EB launch party. Ouch.

Too late for that, the lids blown open on that. Don't know why they'd stop RE now.

Yeah the Mana Bar is still having a launch though.

EatChildren said:
Buugh. I'll wander to my local tomorrow morning and ask anyway. Maybe if I cry they'll cave.

Film it so we can see :p

VOOK

Kerrby said:
It's just so good. I want it and I just want to write for it.

Well if you think you got what it takes, send us a sample review or something. Looking to ramp up our DD reviews especially. News writers always needed too.

Obviously only if you want to though. Happy to just have you or anyone as a reader.

Kirby102

Rezbit said:

....shut up.
Haven't "officially" died yet (get a GAME OVER screen), though I have "died" with the help of fairies :D Though it doesn't tell you how many times you've died anymore :( No more death counter in OoT3D.

Forest temple gave me the shits, I mistook a small key door for an "eye-switch" door. FML. Took too long in that dungeon.

Water temple is heaps easy now. Especially with the coloured areas that lead to the water level switches. Helped me heaps though :D

Just starting on Master Quest... nearly died from a Skulltula in Great Deku Tree... they took down 2 of my hearts D: Also, the 3D breaks when you get a heart container in that dungeon.

269906_10150296003089108_628814107_9023308_1987940_n.jpg

Not going well, also I've never played MQ :p

Shaneus said:
Put in a shitload of time over the weekend playing Crackdown 2. Finished all the Cell missions and only have a handful of mutant zombie things to go. Gotta say, for some reason it just doesn't "feel" as good as the first one. I guess I prefer the atmosphere provided by the a criminal element and ultra-clean environment over one that's overrun by mutants, rebels and neglect.

Performing a ground-point in the middle of a horde of mutants is pretty satisfying, though.
I really don't want to finish off the last couple of "protect the generators." Protect-the-anything missions are generally pretty cheap but these seem like designed for frustration, not challenge. I've tried them both a couple of times and been really close to completing them but seem to fall prey to programming that says "If they are doing well, open the floodgates and punish them."

You know what? If I defeat your uberhuge freak, you shouldn't send another one. If I defeat that one, you definitely shouldn't send a third. On top of that, you shouldn't triple the number of freaks in the room. Also, I shouldn't have to defend multiple tiers of enemies at the same time. Lastly, the freaks that rush you and knock you down frustrate the shift out of me, especially when there are multiples of them. In a crowd, the ragdoll state that they put you in, combined with multiple rushes means that you can spend far too long in a state that you cannot get up from. It's usually at those times that the game decides to play one of the "Protect the generator" voiceovers. Thanks for reminding me, I was just laying down for a nap.

Maybe it's me sucking and no one else has these problems but I'm not enjoying the last couple of these. Game challenge should come from design, not volume of enemies. Perhaps if the aiming in the game didn't purposely target the least threatening object in a crowd I would find slightly less frustration. Any game that thinks it should target the non-projectile freak at the back of the room instead of the one hitting me, or the uberhuge freak 20feet away falls under my definition of "unfinished."

Eh, I spent yesterday playing other games because I was in no mood for 'losing.' I may give it another try but then again, it may be better for me to move on to another game.

Did anyone else have the same experiences?

EatChildren

Soon I will begin my quest for RE: Mercs.

If I cant find it, its off with Vook's head.

EatChildren

BanShunsaku said:
Just remembered LOTR extended blu ray set comes out tomorrow.

There goes my weekend!

I had this pre-ordered but ended up cancelling after seeing the comparison images. The IQ detail is so much better, but man do I hate that green filter :(. Jackson approved or not, I do not want.

EatChildren said:
I had this pre-ordered but ended up cancelling after seeing the comparison images. The IQ detail is so much better, but man do I hate that green filter :(. Jackson approved or not, I do not want.

I was hesitant, but I've read a few reviews now that say the actual discs look nothing like the comparisons on youtube, that there is a slight colour correction but it isn't as bad as some may lead you to think.

And this is the screen that sealed the deal for me:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58250

I didn't get the theatrical cuts on blu ray so this will be my first LOTR high def experience. If they ever do a single disc per film blu ray edition I'll probably grab it just for convenience, but I'm actually just super excited to watch LOTR again to be honest!

EatChildren

BanShunsaku said:
I was hesitant, but I've read a few reviews now that say the actual discs look nothing like the comparisons on youtube, that there is a slight colour correction but it isn't as bad as some may lead you to think.

I didn't get the theatrical cuts on blu ray so this will be my first LOTR high def experience. If they ever do a single disc per film blu ray edition I'll probably grab it just for convenience, but I'm actually just super excited to watch LOTR again to be honest!

nooooooooo you're going to make me spend more money stop ittttttt

Shaneus

Planet_JASE said:
I really don't want to finish off the last couple of "protect the generators." Protect-the-anything missions are generally pretty cheap but these seem like designed for frustration, not challenge. I've tried them both a couple of times and been really close to completing them but seem to fall prey to programming that says "If they are doing well, open the floodgates and punish them."

You know what? If I defeat your uberhuge freak, you shouldn't send another one. If I defeat that one, you definitely shouldn't send a third. On top of that, you shouldn't triple the number of freaks in the room. Also, I shouldn't have to defend multiple tiers of enemies at the same time. Lastly, the freaks that rush you and knock you down frustrate the shift out of me, especially when there are multiples of them. In a crowd, the ragdoll state that they put you in, combined with multiple rushes means that you can spend far too long in a state that you cannot get up from. It's usually at those times that the game decides to play one of the "Protect the generator" voiceovers. Thanks for reminding me, I was just laying down for a nap.

Maybe it's me sucking and no one else has these problems but I'm not enjoying the last couple of these. Game challenge should come from design, not volume of enemies. Perhaps if the aiming in the game didn't purposely target the least threatening object in a crowd I would find slightly less frustration. Any game that thinks it should target the non-projectile freak at the back of the room instead of the one hitting me, or the uberhuge freak 20feet away falls under my definition of "unfinished."

Eh, I spent yesterday playing other games because I was in no mood for 'losing.' I may give it another try but then again, it may be better for me to move on to another game.

Did anyone else have the same experiences?
Mega-quote, but yes. The protect-the-generator things I got through by just focusing on the guys that were attacking the generator. It helps if you have the right weapons, too... I have the UV shotgun and the auto-homing rocket launcher thing. Seems to be the right combo. But they definitely stopped being fun after the first one that had the single super-mutant.

But there are a lot of things that just don't seem right when compared to the first one. Like I said, I much prefer battling a criminal element than a rebel group and mutants... it actually feels like you're a super-powered cop bringing the justice rather than the scenario in this one. The fights seem far more balanced in the first as well, where (if you were game) you could take on any area in any order... I remember taking out one of the bosses in the first game by secretly skipping around a back way rather than going through the usual method. Here, you just have to clear all the bad guys and certain areas only unlock after clearing previous ones. The later Cell levels also just spam the enemies with rocket launchers/chain guns as well. Just felt cheap.

Oh, and why in the hell is the game always asking me how I want my guy's face to look when it always gets covered? Now it just feels (and looks) like you're Iron Man.

Voiceover guy is way overused, too. The fact that he acknowledges when you get an achievement kinda sucks. He's more like a Cortana-type character now than a distant observer like in the first.

Maybe now that Realtime Worlds are dead they can get David Jones back... I have a feeling he was the key to the first one being near-perfectly balanced.

Choc

Banned
VOOK said:
Jealous of my site? Why's that? :p

Of course not, I designed it. Took me a year to build it as well.

horse.bolted.

every single store in sydney jb game etc has it on shelves

nintendos fucking stupid

edit: ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Danoss

BanShunsaku said:

I looked at it and went "that looks like absolute shit!" My mouse then drifted over it... yep, totally getting it.

As for the colour cast, it has lost its warmth, especially in a shot like that where you would want that. Though the blacks have been lifted because of it, which makes me think that either something is off with the screenshot itself (most likely) or they did a horrendous job on the Blu-ray (less likely).

EatChildren

Scrow said:
hey, EatChildren is a mod. i only just noticed. how long ago did that happen?

i-dunno-lol5mqt.jpg

Yesterday or the day before.

legend166

Anyone who buys RE: Mercs is a chump.

And I don't even know anything about the game other than Capcom being huge massive wankers with the save thing.

Top Bottom