• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

legend166

I was wrong about the temperature.

It got up to 13 degrees.

I've got it sitting outside now to see what it is outside.

edit: outside

Danoss

Clipper said:
But did I get the colours right? I only had some quick Google searches to go by as the only NRL games I ever watch are the SoO and GF.
You only really missed the side stripes, which is a challenge to do on that model. This is the current jersey.

idRZDO.png

Kerrby

Banned
For the 3DS community here, can one switch to the UK store and buy a game using an Australian VISA? Someone told me to do that to save some money but I didn't think it was possible.

Kirby102

I just bought 2x 1500 MSPoints cards for $22 each at GAME (yeah I wanted to support GAME rather than DSE, plus it adds points to my GAME rewards card :D)

Just a thought, is it possible (and maybe cheaper) to buy things/DLC with PayPal on Xbox rather than MS Points? I just realised that if they did this with all the DLC, then I'mma rage. D:

Clipper

Kerrby said:
For the 3DS community here, can one switch to the UK store and buy a game using an Australian VISA? Someone told me to do that to save some money but I didn't think it was possible.
Probably not. You used to be able to use an Aussie card on the US store, but they stopped that from working in the recent Ridge Racer update. It's probably the same for the UK store. Also, if the system is anything like Wii, changing country will clear out any excess funds you have in your wallet.

I think the only way to take advantage of the price difference is to get a friend to buy you UK points cards and send you the codes. I don't think they have started selling the cards there yet, but they have shown the design, so they will be out soon, I guess.

hamchan

Yknow what show is awesome AusGAF? Torchwood. Finished the first season and I freaking loved it. Moving on to Doctor Who season 3 now...

Kerrby

Banned
Clipper said:
It's probably the same for the UK store. Also, if the system is anything like Wii, changing country will clear out any excess funds you have in your wallet.

Whoa hold up. If I put $10 on my 3DS and change region to UK my funds will be gone completely? Even if I change back to the AU region?

Salazar

hamchan said:
Yknow what show is awesome AusGAF? Torchwood. Finished the first season and I freaking loved it. Moving on to Doctor Who season 3 now...

Sons of Anarchy, too.

Except the stalker douche plot.

hamchan said:

Are you... what... is this bizarro land?

I didn't really hate Torchwood, but "awesome" is certainly one of the last words I'd choose to describe it. I hate to sound like one of those "oh no, my tastes are FAR too mature to appreciate that piffle" people, but Torchwood was juvenile pap. Tried way too hard with its "OMG LOOK AT ME SEX AND BLOOD AND EVERYONE IS HORNY FOR EVERYONE ELSE AREN'T I MATURE" thing.

Had a few decent episodes though, plus the Barrowman is always hot and Eve Myles gave me a thing for Welsh accents.

CryptiK

hamchan said:
Yeah I love it also the mini series Children of Earth was fantastic its like a darker version of Doctor Who

Box of Bunnies said:
Are you... what... is this bizarro land?

I didn't really hate Torchwood, but "awesome" is certainly one of the last words I'd choose to describe it. I hate to sound like one of those "oh no, my tastes are FAR too mature to appreciate that piffle" people, but Torchwood was juvenile pap. Tried way too hard with its "OMG LOOK AT ME SEX AND BLOOD AND EVERYONE IS HORNY FOR EVERYONE ELSE AREN'T I MATURE" thing.

Had a few decent episodes though, plus the Barrowman is always hot and Eve Myles gave me a thing for Welsh accents.
no comment.... >.>

CryptiK said:
no comment.... >.>

I admittedly haven't seen the second series or Children of Earth, but the first series is absolutely the way I described it.

Maybe it gets better, but what I saw wasn't a darker version of Doctor Who. It was like a version of Doctor Who written by fifteen year olds who thought they were being mature.

Salazar said:
Sons of Anarchy, too.

Except the stalker douche plot.
Season 3 was shite though. Except the last episode.

Also, if being an insurance investiagtor is anything like it is in LA Noire it's a lot cooler than I ever would have assumed

Jintor

I've grown disillusioned with Doctor Who over the last couple of months. The only truely great episode of the last half-season was Gaiman's one. Torchwood... haven't seen yet.

Whoa hold up. If I put $10 on my 3DS and change region to UK my funds will be gone completely? Even if I change back to the AU region?

They retain, at least they did last time I did that, but that was two updates ago

hamchan

I dunno, people say season 2 is when Torchwood starts getting really good but I quite liked season 1. Besides a couple of episodes like that sex alien that fed off sexual energy I thought most episodes ranged from solid to good.

Salazar

Arkham Asylum is just beautiful.

It's difficult to come back after playing sandbox games for ages, but damn it looks sweet.

Rahk

evlcookie said:
Dirt 3 is $34 on steam which is around the same price as ozgameshop, might be $2 cheaper actually. Anyone here going to pick it up?

Guess i need to get mafia 2 gifted as well since it's $7.50
Already got Dirt 3, but no one has played MP yet..

Clipper

Kerrby said:
If it works like Wii, yes. I'm not certain they did the same with 3DS, but it is highly likely. On Wii, you keep whatever you have purchased, but you lose all points when changing country.

Jintor said:
I've grown disillusioned with Doctor Who over the last couple of months. The only truely great episode of the last half-season was Gaiman's one. Torchwood... haven't seen yet.
I actually find this season to be the best so far. Moffat keeps surprising and amazing me with awesome.

And on Torchwood, it definitely gets better as it goes. Children of Earth was a great way to take the series, and they are continuing with that formula this year (all episodes being in one huge story arc, although this one is 10 eps instead of 5). It looks like Davies wants to keep it this way rather than the monster of the week style, which is actually a really great way to keep it fresh and interesting. The only thing that disappoints me with the first three seasons is that
everyone is dead except Gwen, Rhys and Jack

Jintor said:
I guess I'm just not into the B-grade acting from everyone who isn't on the Doctor's immediate crew like I used to be.

Plus the B grade acting from Amy =/ This whole season for me has felt like all these exciting things are happening but I can't get excited because there has been no build up. like when they were
rescuing Amy
. I also had trouble feeling for the random characters who were supposed to be "the Doctor's closest friends". There have been a couple of good episodes, but for the most part this series has been a bit of a disappointment.

Echoplx

ClivePwned said:
is there any word on either Hitman or dead space games suddenly becoming uber cheap compared to how much they are now?

Bit late but yes Dead Space, Hitman, X and PoP are all confirmed for today, all franchise sales as well.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Just got back from Sneaky Sound System at The Family in Brisbane. Holy crap it was awesome. I wouldn't listen to that music at home on my computer, but live? It's a completely different thing. Sooo much better than their recorded stuff.

The girl is such an awesome performer, wtf. She had so much energy, looked like she was having as much fun as the audience, put on a good show, engaged the audience. She really made the show. Some of the songs were a little too poppy and girly for my tastes, but there were some "darker" songs that had awesome thumping bass.

One of the best live music shows I've seen... didn't expect that for only $20. One of the best live music shows I've seen... didn't expect that for only $20. Did anyone else from Brisbane go?

3chopl0x said:
Bit late but yes Dead Space, Hitman, X and PoP are all confirmed for today, all franchise sales as well.

yup, i'm glad I waited to buy those today. I need something to play after i finish inFamous2

oh and fuck off to regional pricing

Screenshot2011-07-09at93519PM.png

Space Battleship Yamato looks literally like they took the cartoon we know as Star Blazers and made it live action with only minor updates. Think of it as if when they made the recent Battlestar Galactica, they literally remade the original 1978 show.
I haven't watched all of it yet so it could get stupid by the end. The actor who was the first Pigsy in Monkey is in it. I think he's the engineer.

Screenshot2011-07-10at82226AM.png

Screenshot2011-07-10at82156AM.png

Anyone grabbing Terreria? Would love to get into a 4 pack with some people since it is twice the price it is in the US.

Also what is the deal with the Dead Space deal? Bundle both games for $20 or buy DS2 by itself for $35? Damn regional pricing.

Grassy

Yeah I picked up the Dead Space bundle, I already own the first game so I thought maybe i'd get a copy to give away but not so. I mean you're buying a bundle so you should get the extra copy if you already own it, does that seem logical or am I just retarded?

I got F1 2010 also. Takes it up to 33 games i've bought on Steam since May when I built my new PC, backlogged much...

Also i'm not sure if you guys know but GreenManGaming.com are giving away Arma 2 this weekend. The site is getting hammered as you'd expect but the link is here. Use this code in checkout THESU-NFREE-ARMA2 and you get it for free.

Grassy said:
Also i'm not sure if you guys know but GreenManGaming.com are giving away Arma 2 this weekend. The site is getting hammered as you'd expect but the link is here. Use this code in checkout THESU-NFREE-ARMA2 and you get it for free.
Men of War too. THESU-NFREE-MOW2

Kritz

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Anyone grabbing Terreria? Would love to get into a 4 pack with some people since it is twice the price it is in the US.

For anyone on the fence, Terraria is a really fantastic exploration / loot game. The main focus is on being underground mining out materials for new weapons and armour, or finding trinkets in chests. Upgrading from one set of items to another is pretty much the crux of the game. You'll need to fight pretty huge bosses, find hidden areas and biomes and probably at some stage have a wiki in another window.

It does totally have building mechanics, but unlike that one other game what is a bit like Terraria, buildings actually have a mechanical purpose. They'll attract special shopkeeper NPCs who can sell you new items, such as weapons or potions.

There's a surprising amount of depth to the game, but it comes at you very slowly. There's a set progression that you need to follow least you be totally outclassed by the game's mobs, and each area usually has enough stuff to do to keep you entertained. Play it in coop, because the loot aspects is what drives the game. You want to be able to show off your new grappling hook or boomerang, or be totally jealous of someone else's sweet new armour that's on fire.

I think a few of us put well over 20 hours into the game, and it's well worth the price you'll pay. If you're not really into loot or exploring or fairly basic mob murdering, I dunno how much fun you'll have. But the game's fun, real good at killing time, and in coop it's no less than amazing. Just note that there is a hard stopping point where there's no more items left to get. No credits will roll, and you won't get a game over screen, but there does come a point where there is damn near literally nothing left to do.

5/5 stars - kritz

snoopen

I'm so sick of Coles/Woolies, wasting many millions on dumb advertising like annoying hands and pushing their own fucking awful homebrand cheap products like milk/bread to $1.. I don't touch their water milk or shit bread, I wish they would bring back the days when they had decent sales on dairy farmers milk, and good bread that wasn't "buy 2 and save x".

snoopen said:
I'm so sick of Coles/Woolies, wasting many millions on dumb advertising like annoying hands and pushing their own fucking awful homebrand cheap products like milk/bread to $1.. I don't touch their water milk or shit bread, I wish they would bring back the days when they had decent sales on dairy farmers milk, and good bread that wasn't "buy 2 and save x".
What is wrong with their bread and milk? Tastes fine to me.

elfinke

I grabbed a 4 pack of Terraria, and am likely to have 1 or 2 left over. If I do, I'll drop a note in here. No 'bagsing' beforehand though :)

My local Woolies don't even stock Dairy Farmers milk, and I complain about it every fucking time I go shopping. At Coles, DF gets only 3 facings in among the 3 milk cabinets they have, and that pisses me off too. My shopping trolley is 95% homebrand free (tinned tomatoes, flour, cooking sugar, tomato paste, coconut milk, chick/kidney beans are the exceptions to the rule) in a $240/fortnight shopping trip.

Fuck Woolies and Coles >:/

Planet_JASE said:
They're currently pricing their Home brand products at a loss in order to put the other companies out of business.
The home brand bread here in Geelong has been $1.20 ever since I started at uni back in 2005? Home brand is where Supermarkets have gotten the vast majority of their income now for years and years.

snoopen

reptilescorpio said:
What is wrong with their bread and milk? Tastes fine to me.
I'm on a pretty strict diet for my fitness/muscling up and the quality of the ingredients are not close to that of the more 'premium' (compared to their loss pricing) products.. the Coles milk really isn't milk, its texture and breakdown differ greatly to that of say.. DF low fat.

My Woolworths stopped selling DF altogether and their milk cabinet is 80% their own crap stuff.

They're driving the better brands out of business.

reptilescorpio said:
The home brand bread here in Geelong has been $1.20 ever since I started at uni back in 2005? Home brand is where Supermarkets have gotten the vast majority of their income now for years and years.
Not quite. What we're about to start getting (and what the supermarkets are working towards) is a market not unlike America experienced in... the early 2000s, I think. This is where Walmart had such power in the retail space that they could dictate prices back to the producers. Because Walmart held the market percentage marjority, producers had to start succumbing to their demand lest they cut off 80% of their retail sales. This lead to a huge market collapse and local producers started to go out of business as they could not compete with offshore prices.

The danger over here is that Coles and Woolies realise that they own the retail space over here, and if they can sell home brand products at a loss they can slowly gain market share until the other producers go out of business or become sufficiently weak to be bought out.

Once that happens, and there are no more competitors in the market (for bread and milk, at the very least) you will no longer see the low price tickets on them anymore. In fact, you'll probably see prices go up, as you'll no longer have many options than buy their braded produce.

elfinke said:
My local Woolies don't even stock Dairy Farmers milk, and I complain about it every fucking time I go shopping.
Are you in a position to no longer use their store? The only way they'll get the message is if you boycott their store completely. If you complain every time but still buy their product, where is the incentive for them to change?

When my Woolies is out of Dairy Farmers milk I usually go somewhere else to pick it up.

reptilescorpio said:
I work at a small bakery, our cheapo brand bread sells for $2 and at least according to the office there is pretty low margins on that. I could see the big guys doing it for alot less though with their abilty to do things at such a volume.

elfinke

Planet_JASE said:
Are you in a position to no longer use their store? The only way they'll get the message is if you boycott their store completely. If you complain every time but still buy their product, where is the incentive for them to change?

When my Woolies is out of Dairy Farmers milk I usually go somewhere else to pick it up.

Alas no. The town I live in has a Woolies and a Coles (that is currently under some major renovations to bring it up to spec) and nothing else. There has been an Aldi store rumoured to be opening for years, but nothing has come of it, - the land still lies fallow. We do make the effort to buy our 9lt/week of milk at Coles though, and not succumb to buying anything else anywhere else.

Dairy Farmers fo' lyf!

Top Bottom