• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

`Moe Joe. said:
We're running into a battlefield blindfolded, and it would only be fucking Australia to be one of the first country's to try to implement this, much like it being one of the only western country's to try and implement an internet filter.
You realise that both the UK and France already have an Internet filter similar to the one we're intending on rolling out, but on a slightly smaller scale?

And on the Carbon Tax, someone has to try to do something first, so why the hell not Australia?

Omikron

legend166 said:
That stuff sounds fine to me, Omi.

I just hope the renewable energy they are going for is cost efficient.

It won't be to start with (certainly compared to existing coal, gas etc), but that is no doubt the price for R&D into new technologies, as well as trying to find new efficiencies in existing ones.

codswallop said:
And on the Carbon Tax, someone has to try to do something first, so why the hell not Australia?

We are followers. Dontchya know.

legend166

Also, I feel like I should buy something in the Steam sales. So I said to myself "I'll spend $50 on the last day", opened up that indie games spotlight thread, and away I go. This is what I've got in the cart so far:

Paradox Fantasy Pack - I don't actually know much about what's in here, but the description for Majesty sounds amazing. So I'm buying it.

Aquaria
Jagged Alliance 2/Disciples 2 Gold Combo
Machinarium
Commander Keen Complete
VVVVV

That's $28 so far.

I'm thinking of adding the Broken Sword games.

Looks like a good mix of platforming, strategy and adventure games. I might have to get Serious Sam to have some shooting or something.

Recommend some games, people.

Gazunta

Oooooooh shit son, Jagged Alliance 2? Hell yes. I haven't played that since the night I got sent it by TV Week for review but my PC didn't have a CD-ROM drive so I had to walk to my friend's place to use his computer and while I was walking across the highway overpass a freak gust of wind yoinked the game out of my hand and sent it hurtling into the traffic below. Somehow the CDs survived long enough to play for a few hours until they ended up fracturing inside my friend's CD-ROM drive. WHOOPS

Card Boy

Banned
codswallop said:

The problem is it doesn't work when at least 2 of the following big polluters are involved: China, India, Russia, and the US.

Our efforts alone will do fuck all and at the cost of jobs going overseas and the cost of living going up for no reason.

So much pain for very little to no gain.

I will pay someone 5g's for the PM or Bob Brown, dead or alive.

Gazunta said:
Oooooooh shit son, Jagged Alliance 2? Hell yes. I haven't played that since the night I got sent it by TV Week for review but my PC didn't have a CD-ROM drive so I had to walk to my friend's place to use his computer and while I was walking across the highway overpass a freak gust of wind yoinked the game out of my hand and sent it hurtling into the traffic below. Somehow the CDs survived long enough to play for a few hours until they ended up fracturing inside my friend's CD-ROM drive. WHOOPS
I enjoyed this story.

Jintor

What do you already have?

Here's some shit I bought and haven't yet played but that I think looks good:

Sam and Max Complete
Capsized
LucasArts Adventure Pack
Stubbs
Dreamfall/Longest Journey

Here's some shit I personally recommend:
Atom Zombie Smasher
Flotilla
Alpha Protocol
Audiosurf
Defcon
Uplink
Blood Money
Hoard
Just Cause 2
Tropico 3
X-Com
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Gazunta said:
A+++. Would read again.

Gez said:
The problem is it doesn't work when at least 2 of the following big polluters are involved: China, India, Russia, and the US.
What would you prefer? No one do anything because they don't think it'll make any difference? Why bother trying things when they're difficult, right?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
CDs and DVDs are more durable than you'd expect.

I spent ages trying to scratch a shitty DVD-R with my fingernails, teeth (ew), by throwing it onto gravel and, well, basically doing anything I could think of short of actually cracking the thing, and Season One of The Wire (and Sim Ant, when I tried a CD) still played flawlessly.

Card Boy

Banned
codswallop said:
What would you prefer?

I would prefer my cost of living remain the same and the jobs of myself, friends and family stay safe.

If you ask why I prefer for real, then go to Abbots plan because it's better than Labours even if they both don't do anything. It's the lesser of two evils.

legend166

Ok update:

%2525242B3E3C297DB5226.jpg

Omikron

Gez said:
I would prefer my cost of living remain the same and the jobs of myself, friends and family stay safe.

If you ask why I prefer for real, then go to Abbots plan because it's better than Labours even if they both don't do anything. It's the lesser of two evils.

Abbotts plan is to piss a whole bunch of money against a wall and call it direct action. If you think a carbon tax won't work, I dunno how giving money away without getting any extra in is any better of an idea.

FWIW, hows your cost of living going atm? Rising anyway without a carbon tax right? And the likelihood the carbon tax will add anything significant on top of that is slim.

Gez said:
According to the calculator recently posted, I'll be worse off. Then again, every year I'm significantly more worse off simply due to CPI/inflation/whathaveyou increases. The government makes decisions every day that will cause some people to be negatively impacted.

Personally, I'm OK with being slightly worse off if the end result is a planet that's less screwed up.

legend166

Ok I think I'll just stick with what I posted above.

My new strategy for playing games going forward is to try and have one big budget and one indie game going on at the same time. So at the moment it's Just Cause 2 and Jamestown.

I figure that should keep me from getting bored of either one.

Card Boy

Banned
Omi said:
FWIW, hows your cost of living going atm? Rising anyway without a carbon tax right? And the likelihood the carbon tax will add anything significant on top of that is slim.

Well Electricity and public transport are my key concerns. We both know the Carbon tax is doing to make them going higher than they normally would otherwise

Right now It costs me 7 bucks just for a daily to the city, that is already 2 bucks too expensive IMO. I would rage if it went any higher.

We pay 450 to 500 bucks in electricity every 2 months and 70% of that shit is services charges? Ef that!

Fact of the matter is JuLIAR said there would be "NO CARBOX TAX UNDER THE GOVERNMENT I LEAD", before the last election on at least 3 seperate occasions. Whether you want it or not the PM needs to take this to an election like Howard did with the GST.

So Steam and the last.fm client are telling me I can't connect to the Internet. Windows Firewall exceptions are on and I haven't changed any settings since they working fine the other day. Help?

legend166 said:
I don't understand the tax. At all. None of it makes any sense.

Firstly - it won't actually have any effect. Basically everyone has said this (as in, all the climate scientists and whatnot), but then just seem to ignore it.

Care to elaborate?

`Moe Joe. said:
Of course not; there's only so much people can be compensated before it runs out - as it essentially was already our money.

Huh?

`Moe Joe said:
We're running into a battlefield blindfolded, and it would only be fucking Australia to be one of the first country's to try to implement this, much like it being one of the only western country's to try and implement an internet filter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Emissions_Trading_Scheme
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Emission_Trading_Scheme
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Emissions_Trading_Scheme

legend166 said:
That stuff sounds fine to me, Omi.

I just hope the renewable energy they are going for is cost efficient.

It's all being managed by an independent authority IIRC so hopefully it will be, and even if it isn't the right-wing press won't be able to carry on with the wasteful government shit. (They probably will anyway)

trinest said:
I agree with Abbot on the one thing which is approach- or least his "selling approach" today is fuck the tax, use our savings and fund research and technology with that.

Abbott also has his direct action policy where he takes the taxpayer's money, puts it in a big hole and lights it on fire so I think in the end his approach doesn't save money.

Jintor

My current policy is 'buy what you want if it's on a sale of some kind and you think it's worth it' and it's served me well

Abbott also has his direct action policy where he takes the taxpayer's money, puts it in a big hole and lights it on fire so I think in the end his approach doesn't save money.

And produces extra carbon!

Omikron

Gez said:
Well Electricity and public transport are my key concerns. We both know the Carbon tax is doing to make them going higher than they normally would otherwise

Right now It costs me 7 bucks just for a daily to the city, that is already 2 bucks too expensive IMO. I would rage if it went any higher.

We pay 450 to 500 bucks in electricity every 2 months and 70% of that shit is services charges? Ef that!

Fact of the matter is JuLIAR said there would be "NO CARBOX TAX UNDER THE GOVERNMENT I LEAD", before the last election on at least 3 seperate occasions. Whether you want it or not the PM needs to take this to an election like Howard did with the GST.

Service charges shouldn't be affected by a carbon tax, rather the amount it actually costs to generate. So the amount you use. The service charges are for things like building and upgrading infrastructure. Bit like how in Victoria everyone is currently getting slammed for the de-sal plant on their water bill.

PT is expensive, but is it expensive when compared with the alternative of driving and parking every day?

As for the lying thing, meh, politicians a) lie and b) do things that fwd their political agenda.

Card Boy

Banned
Rez said:
i knew there was a reason I just started vomiting uncontrollably

Is she not a deceitful person? She lied about something before the last election and now every Australian now has to suffer for it. It's not something people are meant to 'get over it' the government needs to be held accountable.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
going back a page, how about supplying graphs showing the earths temperature PAST 1880, let's go back 2000 years please. or 40,000.

I'd like to see how little the recent jump matters in the grand scheme of things

Jintor

Gez said:
Is she not a deceitful person? She lied about something before the last election and now every Australian now has to suffer for it. It's not something people are meant to 'get over it' the government needs to be held accountable.

It's probably more to Rez that namecalling stuff like JuLIAR betray a certain level of political discourse

Gazunta

Here's a sort-of related political question.

Why are the opinions of people living in western Sydney given so much weight? You always hear about how crucial it is to keep people in western Sydney happy, politically.

I have relatives living there and they're fucking morons.

Gazunta said:

Why are the opinions of people living in western Sydney given so much weight? You always hear about how crucial it is to keep people in western Sydney happy, politically.

Because they are volatile about the stupid issues sucking all the oxygen out of the policy discourse and are marginal seats? iuno.

Gez said:

Our efforts alone will do fuck all and at the cost of jobs going overseas and the cost of living going up for no reason.

ding ding ding.

This is my problem with the carbon tax.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Gez said:
I think feigning outrage or disbelief at the nature of politics is something that should be saved for the irresponsible. Times change, political makeup changes and plans are revisited. This has happened across ideologies for as long as this system has been in place.

Should you have to put up with it? That's debatable. Personally attacking or blaming any one person is childish, we can be better than that. Am I surprised the press feign surprise or severely overreact in order to manipulate the public? No. I'd just hope that we're smart enough to be able to see through it.

For the record, I'm not particularly thrilled with any of the major political parties, but to pretend that the alternative at any given time will materially fix any real problems with any of the current systems is absurd. In the end you're going to be effed over in some way in the name of appeasing another group of statistically relevant voters, you're just voting for where, exactly, you'd like to be prodded.

If people get off on arguing about a couple of extra cents added to their weekly bill as opposed to a couple of cents being added to a slightly different bill anyway, that's fine, I guess, but surely we don't need to resort to hyperbole and spreading confusing, fear and poorly researched and unreasonable half-truths to achieve that goal. Both 'sides' are guilty of this, don't get me wrong.

The long and short of it is that I'm completely fascinated by how easy it is to manipulate people, turn them against each other and generally make them bitter, jaded and unhappy over extremely fine shades of grey in political policy. I shouldn't be, at this point, I've seen enough of it, but I guess I'll always be a little bit disappointed.

Australia is the tenth-highest worldwide of carbon emissions per person, right below the US but above China, India and Russia (and Canada, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, UK, New Zealand to name but a few of the two-hundred odd countries that have lower emissions per capita than us). So why exactly should we not want to reduce our emissions? Because it costs you a little more to buy a Mars Bar? Come on.

Sure, the total volume may be lower, but per person we're a poor member of the global population.

shanshan310 said:
ding ding ding.

This is my problem with the carbon tax.

Jobs? A few jobs will be lost but employment growth will vastly outweigh this. There will be 1.6 million more people in the workforce by 2020. That's mental.

Industry is being over-compensated. Coal will get 1.3 billion. Steel will get 300 million. OneSteel came out yesterday and said they were pleased with the details.

Cost of living? It has been and will continue to rise. The carbon tax will have a small effect on this. The CPI will go up by 0.7% in the first year.

Clipper

Gazunta said:

Whenever anyone discusses the class distinctions in Sydney, I can't help but thinking of this:
sydney.jpg

Fredescu

Gazunta said:

Almost as many people live in Western Sydney as live in Brisbane. The physical area is huge too, to the point where I've decided to put calling areas such as Parramatta, Campbelltown, Penrith, and the Hills, into the same "area" down to total laziness on someone's part.

giri

I'm not sure if this has been said. But my biggest peeve with the carbon tax is that, again, as a single male who owns their own house (read, has a mortgage) i get screwed over by another new tax whilst families and pensioners cop none of it.

I"m getting really fucking sick and tired of being singled out as "having tons of disposable income, they can make up for the rest of the country".

Get Fucked.

Rezbit

Thinking about picking up a game today - anyone have an idea where might be the best price for Child of Eden, presuming I can find it!

Rezbit said:
Thinking about picking up a game today - anyone have an idea where might be the best price for Child of Eden, presuming I can find it!

$78 at BigW, $79 at JB.

Fredescu said:
Where can I donate to Rinehart? Maybe there'll be a telethon.

Maybe we can get some male celebrities to kiss during it and it can be a gay mining marriage telethon.

Jintor

Rezbit said:

...online :T

JB is at $70 or so but you can get $35, $40 online I think?

Top Bottom