• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

jambo

legend166 said:
Not sure how that would fix anything? It looks like a problem with my account or something.

Oh I didn't see that post, I just thought you were somewhere where you couldn't access Steam.

Jintor

Fuck, my Steam sale resolve crumbled and I just spent $50 on games I probably won't ever find time to play (and a few I've already played and wanted to rebuy)

Salazar

Jintor said:
Fuck, my Steam sale resolve crumbled and I just spent $50 on games I probably won't ever find time to play (and a few I've already played and wanted to rebuy)

Mirror's Edge just finished downloading. Going to give my PC a few hours to cool down, and then it's on.

r1chard

giri said:
That male privlige list read like a whole big bag of female whine.
Interesting contrast to other responses (esp. female ones). Of course, it could be that we're all wrong and you're right and it's a complete fantasy. Maybe you actually are told you drive like crap because you're male? Or that you deserve to be raped because of the sexy clothes you wear? No, you keep a good, firm hold of that great privilege of being oblivious to your privilege :)

Salazar said:
Mirror's Edge just finished downloading. Going to give my PC a few hours to cool down, and then it's on.
Damn, I still haven't replayed that. Been meaning to for ages, but Just Cause 2 is taunting me with its 82% completion.

Kerrby

Banned
r1chard said:
Interesting contrast to other responses (esp. female ones). Of course, it could be that we're all wrong and you're right and it's a complete fantasy. Maybe you actually are told you drive like crap because you're male? Or that you deserve to be raped because of the sexy clothes you wear? No, you keep a good, firm hold of that great privilege of being oblivious to your privilege :)

But females are the worst drivers in the world.

Choc

Banned
Furious Red Bull officials have slammed Mark Webber for ignoring team orders that he stay behind teammate Sebastian Vettel in the British Grand Prix.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsp...team-orders-20110711-1ha9i.html#ixzz1Rm5jAn4P

you show em mark, fuck team orders in F1. I know its a team sport but it is akin to rigging in some aspects.

Also odds shortening significantly on him being in a renault or Ferrari next year i would think. Red Bull won't be happy.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I think rez is just offended that he isn't the worst driver in the world, Poor man.

It should also be noted that saying what you did Kerb tends to get you a ban and as a junior member, that's a perma!

Omikron

Choc said:
Furious Red Bull officials have slammed Mark Webber for ignoring team orders that he stay behind teammate Sebastian Vettel in the British Grand Prix.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsp...team-orders-20110711-1ha9i.html#ixzz1Rm5jAn4P

you show em mark, fuck team orders in F1. I know its a team sport but it is akin to rigging in some aspects.

Also odds shortening significantly on him being in a renault or Ferrari next year i would think. Red Bull won't be happy.

Probably should shorten the odds for him being out of F1 completely tbh. He is getting on a bit.

Salazar

Choc said:
Also odds shortening significantly on him being in a renault or Ferrari next year i would think.

And he'll wind up those teams as well. I'm with you on team orders being bullshit, but Webber seems like a douche.

giri

r1chard said:

Damn, I still haven't replayed that. Been meaning to for ages, but Just Cause 2 is taunting me with its 82% completion.
Shall i also think of the children?

Or should i point out that the odds of a male getting a favorable decision in a family court is about 1 in 1000. Or... should i point out that it's frowned upon for a father to give up his career, and let the female work, while he cares for the children? Or... We all have our problems and stereo types that we have to deal with, including the percentage of rape in prison is much higher amongst males.

Don't worry, that persecution/martyr complex you're working on there is completely justifiable! I'm sure of it.

Kerrby

Banned
evlcookie said:
It should also be noted that saying what you did Kerb tends to get you a ban and as a junior member, that's a perma!

Okay well I think it's just people haven't been in the car with my female friends.

They seem to get a speeding fine at least one a week, get into a car wreck at least once a month and almost kill their passengers whenever someone else is in the car with them.

By the way, I have my 300 posts. Where's my member status D:

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Probably should shorten the odds for him being out of F1 completely tbh. He is getting on a bit.

he has already been offered #1 driver at Renault next year apparently

and Ferrari apparently are an admirer. He would easily get a drive on the open market but whether its one he wants, thats the question.

giri

Choc said:

I found it odd it's being talked about so openly. Last i heard teams can get massive fines for issuing team orders. Unless that has been changed in the last year.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
For the record, I never meant to start a pissing contest.

jambo

You were lucky. There were a hundred and fifty of us living in a shoebox in a middle of the road!

Kerrby said:
But females are the worst drivers in the world.

Quit while you're behind.

Salazar said:
And he'll wind up those teams as well. I'm with you on team orders being bullshit, but Webber seems like a douche.

Really? I've never seen anything that would make him seem like a douche =\

legend166

Massa is pretty useless since his crash, sadly. Ferrari are probably looking to replace him. They might go with a younger guy over Webber, though.

Frawdder

giri said:
I found it odd it's being talked about so openly. Last i heard teams can get massive fines for issuing team orders. Unless that has been changed in the last year.
The rules were changed so team orders aren't outlawed completely. I'm not sure on the specifics but they are allowed in some way in the current rulebook.

Choc

Banned
team orders are no longer against FIA rules

except where it brings the sport into disrepute, aka a driver pulling aside so the driver in 2nd can win.

giri said:
Shall i also think of the children?

Or should i point out that the odds of a male getting a favorable decision in a family court is about 1 in 1000. Or... should i point out that it's frowned upon for a father to give up his career, and let the female work, while he cares for the children? Or... We all have our problems and stereo types that we have to deal with, including the percentage of rape in prison is much higher amongst males.

Don't worry, that persecution/martyr complex you're working on there is completely justifiable! I'm sure of it.

No one is saying there isn't disadvantages to being male, but the privileges far outweigh them in my opinion. Whites are given the easiest road and so are males.

And what department are you talking about here?

giri said:
OH, here's the second best part about the carbon tax, the whole new government deperatment they're going to establish to look after it. Great. More public servants.

giri

roosters93 said:
No one is saying there isn't disadvantages to being male, but the privileges far outweigh them in my opinion. Whites are given the easiest road and so are males.

And what department are you talking about here?
I don't disagree there are some disadvantages, but that list in particular, read like a giant list of whinges, than anything of much merit. there were a small hand ful that actually looked like genuine issues.

I forget where i saw the name for the actual department. Looking for it now.

r1chard

Bugger it. Lengthy post deleted. I'll leave this bit:

In the 70s my aunt and uncle wanted to divorce because it turned out he was gay. But since there was no animosity, no other recognised cause for the marriage to be terminated, she had to be declared insane. Not him. That wasn't an option. Yeah, those family courts are still working things out.

Choc

Banned
r1chard said:

In the 70s my aunt and uncle wanted to divorce because it turned out he was gay. But since there was no animosity, no other recognised cause for the marriage to be terminated, she had to be declared insane. Not him. That wasn't an option. Yeah, those family courts are still working things out.

In 1976 no fault divorce was introduced into the Australian legal system.

edit: so the voting system we have now is the least popular. No fucking surprise there. It should be whoever just got the votes, none of this preferences stuff.

Gazunta said:
About a billion years late to the party but this has been my formula to get through the day:

Load YouTube, sign in
Find a random 90's-era Australian band, hit play.
Go through the 'related videos' list, and click on the plus sign that appears above the video thumbnail. Do that about twice per video that is playing.
Enjoy a day filled with great music I haven't heard in ages. Screamfeeder. Pollyanna. The Clouds. Fini Scad. Sidewinder. Etc etc.
I was listening to some of that good old stuff when I was suddenly reminded of The Mark Of Cain. I'd forgotten how much they rocked.

Dead Man

r1chard said:

Or... they could have pretended any other fault available. Such as infidelity.

Choc said:
In 1976 no fault divorce was introduced into the Australian legal system.

edit: so the voting system we have now is the least popular. No fucking surprise there. It should be whoever just got the votes, none of this preferences stuff.
What? Preferential voting is the best shit to happen, ever. Preferential combined with proportional representation is by far the best way to avoid a 2 party duopoply. Or do you WANT to end up like the US?

Clipper

I'm definitely in favour of preferential voting over FPTP. Optional preferential is probably slightly better than the full preferential as it allows you to provide equal ranking amongst those you don't care about.

I can't understand why anyone who understands how all the systems work would prefer FPTP, really. Choc, can you please explain why you think it's better? Like, do you think that FPTP won this poll despite more people preferring some kind of preference setup to FPTP?

Edit: I'll just add something about tactical voting here. If I knew the result of the poll in question was going to be settled under FPTP rules, I'd have to now go and try to judge which one of the two preferential options is going to have a higher vote so it has the better chance of beating FPTP. Without some guidance from the other people in my position (that don't have much preference between the two preferential options but that really dislike FPTP), it's very hard to actually figure out which one is better to vote for.

Fredescu

Choc said:
46% of people prefer some form of preferential system, so it wins slightly. I have no idea why you'd ever want first past the post. It's the sort of system that really favours the status quo, as if you needed more things preventing change in politics. I think it's party faithful choosing that option, that is those people that choose their favourite party like they choose their football team, and stick with them through thick and thin.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Video games, wait why am I talking about them?

This past weekend was actually an enjoyable one for me.

Game of thrones: after finishing the book I sat down on Saturday and watched all 10 episodes back to back. It's funny to see what your imagination creates when it comes to characters with how they look. No one in the show looked like what I had imagined. It was still great to see the book come to life and while there did seem to be slight changes, it didn't taint the book at all.

The witcher 2: I actually finished it on Sunday. I was a little shocked at how short chapter 3 and the epilogue was, I think it was the epilogue! The game had some glaring faults, the early combat was fucked, cd projekts idea of boss fights are pure dumbfuckery and my ending seemed a little half assed in execution, even still it was a joy to play. I do recommend it to those who are thinking of picking it up on the 360. I also now have a real appreciation for those who do real texture work, textures in the witcher 2 were out of this world and sucked you into the setting even more.

Tf2: it's still fun, it's that game you can not play for a few weeks only to pick it up on a whim and start enjoying yourself once again. Jambo knows what I'm talking about!

Rahk

evlcookie said:
It is too!

I will wait until fred or ridonk tells me which version i need after fred tried to sell us all on the game in steam chat after a lengthy play session.
If you just want to play Last Stand with us, you can buy the Last Standalone for $6.69.

If you want the campaign and other multiplayer modes you'll need want to get Retribution, which also includes The Last Stand. Everything is standalone so the previous games are uneccesary unless you want to play their campaigns.

You'll need to get Retribution gifted if you want it for $15. I got this an all I've played so far is The Last Stand, but even that alone is worth the $15. I plan on playing through the campaign at some point, and it's 2 player co-op so it might be worth it over The Last Standalone. I'm not sure if the other multiplayer modes are any good.

Clipper

OK, in Steam Chat, we figured out Choc wasn't saying he disliked preferences entirely, just that he didn't wasn't to be forced to fill them in. Thus he's in the optional preferences camp. I don't have any beef with that, being there too, and the world makes sense again.

If there is anybody else in AusGAF that would actually prefer FPTP to the other two, please let us know so we can discuss it. I really would like to see why people might prefer the system as it makes virtually no sense to me.

Choc

Banned
i don't want FPTP just to be sure you know that

but given hte mess of a government we have now its not surprising people are voting against this system at the moment

Clipper said:
OK, in Steam Chat, we figured out Choc wasn't saying he disliked preferences entirely, just that he didn't wasn't to be forced to fill them in. Thus he's in the optional preferences camp. I don't have any beef with that, being there too, and the world makes sense again.

If there is anybody else in AusGAF that would actually prefer FPTP to the other two, please let us know so we can discuss it. I really would like to see why people might prefer the system as it makes virtually no sense to me.
Yet another thing Queensland wins this week.

Also did preferential voting just win in a first past the post poll? Because that shit is hilarious.

Fredescu

FallbackPants said:
Also did preferential voting just win in a first past the post poll? Because that shit is hilarious.
No, if you use the first past the post system, first past the post wins. If you use a preferential system, (presumably) preferential wins. Pretty funny.

reptilescorpio said:
Dawn. Or 6am or so.
Really? Are you sure? Do YOU want to take that chance?

giri said:
I'm not sure if this has been said. But my biggest peeve with the carbon tax is that, again, as a single male who owns their own house (read, has a mortgage) i get screwed over by another new tax whilst families and pensioners cop none of it.

I"m getting really fucking sick and tired of being singled out as "having tons of disposable income, they can make up for the rest of the country".

Get Fucked.
I'm in the same position as you, giri. It's open-up-your-wallet-time, again.

And yes, I know my expenses are less because I don't have kids. I (along with what I can only guess is a silent pact between all females) made that choice, I know they cost a lot. Why is my money more disposable? Hookers are expensive. Doing lines of coke off of the backs of Hookers even more so. Where's my fucking coke-off-a-hooker's-back rebate?

Oh, and kids are expensive, but I'm not on a combined income, either. If I had a wife, imagine how many hookers I could afford then!

giri said:
i don't know if i'm upper middle. But why shouldn't they? This is meant to be a society, and it seems that the minority are getting dictated to by the majority, but the majority don't want to pay for anything. I'm not exactly swimming in money. I'm single income, any pay rise i get 50% of it dissapears instantly in income tax..
Because you're only one vote, not two, like in a family. Our opinion, much like our right to our money, is less important.

giri said:
i'm not out there every weekend blowing thousands on coke and hookers.
I swear I hadn't read this before I made my joke.

Omi said:
Summary of the last few pages:

People want action on climate change, until they realise they may get slugged a little bit in the hip pocket.
*sigh* Or, it's a case of, my cost of living goes up because of the tax and then business slug me because they wish to cover the tax. Why should I (potentially) have to get slugged twice? I'm remaining open minded but I know that I always get slugged the most when it comes to taxes. It gets quite tiring.

Anyway, on to gaming stuff:

Finished Just Cause 2 (well, as far as I'm prepared to go, anyway) for the second time over the weekend. It's such a mindless, podcast-listening sort of game. When the phrase "sandbox game" was created, I don't think anything as fitting as this game was around. I would describe the same as 'an awesome Boomsplode! game of almost-anything-goes."

I also started playing the original Gear of Wars. And stopped about an hour later. I'm usually okay with third person shooters as they're usually more forgiving than first person shooters in terms of accuracy and forgivingness. This seems less so. Or maybe it was the pure bollocks training mode that didn't actually train me in anything apart from "here's how you hide behind something" and, the most important of all "this is how you press a button. Fuck you. I got stuck for a while thinking I only had the 'Hammer of.. God(?)' because it didn't tell me how to change weapon (which also means that I didn't know how to close the breaches with a bomb for a long time), and I still have no real idea how to use melee. I don't know what 'Active Reload' is, either, but it seems like that might be important, too.

I finally gave up after half an hour of leading a blind-deaf mutant alien thing around trying to get it to burst through doors for me. For the most part, I think I spent more time watching loading screens than I actually spent playing during that time. Very frustrating. Should I play the game on the lowest setting? Is it worth it?

So, I spent most of today playing Spider-Man: Shattered Dimension. Mostly, I've been left with a positive impressions. It suffers from the same janky controls and camera that any game which allows the player to walk on any surface would. By that, I mean the camera has a tendency to get pissed off with you changing axis and results in the orientation of the controls changing suddenly.

Apart from that, it looks great, it has Spider-Man in it and then chucks in another 3 Spider-Men just to raise the awesome.

I'm currently sick, so hopefully I can use my sick days to carve through some more games.

Fredescu

Planet_JASE said:
*sigh* Or, it's a case of, my cost of living goes up because of the tax and then business slug me because they wish to cover the tax. Why should I (potentially) have to get slugged twice?
You don't get slugged twice. Just the once, with the businesses covering the tax. You actually personally get a tax cut, just not enough to cover the projected rise in expenses.

Fredescu said:
You don't get slugged twice. Just the once, with the businesses covering the tax. You actually personally get a tax cut, just not enough to cover the projected rise in expenses.
Well that's good to know... yet still kinda bad. Thanks for that, Fredescu :)

Grassy

endlessflood said:
I was listening to some of that good old stuff when I was suddenly reminded of The Mark Of Cain. I'd forgotten how much they rocked.

Speaking of which, The Mark of Cain have a new album out in August hopefully. On a side note, I went and saw Helmet at the Manning Bar in Sydney Uni a few weeks ago which of course is the former band of TMoC's drummer John Stanier. They were pretty fucking good.

Planet_JASE said:
I also started playing the original Gear of Wars. And stopped about an hour later. I'm usually okay with third person shooters as they're usually more forgiving than first person shooters in terms of accuracy and forgivingness. This seems less so. Or maybe it was the pure bollocks training mode that didn't actually train me in anything apart from "here's how you hide behind something" and, the most important of all "this is how you press a button. Fuck you. I got stuck for a while thinking I only had the 'Hammer of.. God(?)' because it didn't tell me how to change weapon (which also means that I didn't know how to close the breaches with a bomb for a long time), and I still have no real idea how to use melee. I don't know what 'Active Reload' is, either, but it seems like that might be important, too.

I finally gave up after half an hour of leading a blind-deaf mutant alien thing around trying to get it to burst through doors for me. For the most part, I think I spent more time watching loading screens than I actually spent playing during that time. Very frustrating. Should I play the game on the lowest setting? Is it worth it?

Keep going it's awesome. I remember throwing grenades in that first mission, are you sure it doesn't teach you how?
B is melee. Isn't it B in like every game now? Active reload is when you time the reload right. When you press reload there is a bar (ala kicking in Madden or something) that pops up under your gun. If you hit reload again at the right time, it's quicker and you maybe do more damage or something. Yeah, it's not super important.

That beserker mission (the one with the blind thing) was pretty dumb. But the actual action and fighting was sweet.

I finished Noire over the weekend. Loved it. By no means perfect, but a great start to a franchise. One of my main problems was I honestly could not have given less of a shit about Cole. In 2, if there is a 2, I think it'd be cooler to play as a PI or a reporter or something. Maybe both, tell the story from two angles or something. But yeah, if it wasn't for the apparent shittness of Team Bondi I'd be pretty proud of the Aussie industry right now

EDIT: Just looking at the 'Best new franchise of this generation' thread, and for a generation GAF widely considers derivative, franchise driven and pretty much the worst generation ever, damn there have been some great new IPs

Top Bottom