• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Alright it's not actually broken, but yeah it's fucked.

No it's not from that, I have a girlfriend now anyway. ;)

Omikron

Choc said:
omi you know as well as i do The Sun want to run a headline 'get the fuck over it' but won't because its England

its just stupid the way fox goes on

Oh absolutely, but they manage to hold out until now. :p

Rahk

Neverender said:
While we're on podcasts, anything in same vein as Radiolab that's good? I love Radiolab but I've listened to all of them and need my fix. Generally looking for the same type of science/philosophy discussion.
Try listening to some episodes of This American Life if you haven't already. It's more human interest than scientific, but it has a similar style to RadioLab.

Typically each episode there's a theme that is explored through a number of 'acts', which consists of interviews, people telling their story, field recordings etc. Each episode or act can vary between serious, thought provoking and humorous.

Shaneus

Dead Man said:
Yeah, I get some occasionally form the markets, it's just dried beef with whatever flavouring they add. Stay away from the pre packaged shit in supermarkets, shit is bad. Also Biltong is good too, sort of a South African version of jerky. A little bit goes a long way, too.

I haven't ordered any from this mob but they look legit: http://www.aussiejerky.com.au/ These guys seem okay too: http://www.biltongandbeefjerky.com.au/

Now I need to head down to the market and get some! Bastard.
:D

They both seem pretty expensive... I've only ever bought in $5/$10 lots at my local butcher and they seem to last for ages, no idea actually how much it weighs, though. Have to get my parents to pick some up for me now, too!

giri

Shaneus said:

They both seem pretty expensive... I've only ever bought in $5/$10 lots at my local butcher and they seem to last for ages, no idea actually how much it weighs, though. Have to get my parents to pick some up for me now, too!
I know someone who ordered about 80kg of the billtong stuff. Insane.

He and a couple mates just wanted to import a bunch of it, so they did. NFI how much that set them back.

Oh, not the AU one, the mob from south africa i think.

Dead Man

Shaneus said:

Yeah, it's not cheap by weight, but it is basically good beef, dried to only be a small portion of the original volume. If you have a butcher who does it forget about the mail order stuff, they are more expensive than a local would be. But yeah, good jerky should be beef (or other meat) + flavour and that is it.

giri said:
I know someone who ordered about 80kg of the billtong stuff. Insane.

He and a couple mates just wanted to import a bunch of it, so they did. NFI how much that set them back.

Oh, not the AU one, the mob from south africa i think.
80kg? Bloody hell, that would last years. For a family. In the Antarctic.

Kerrby

Banned
VOOK said:
Oh Choc yeah Starfox 64, liking it so far- Gyro controls are pretty good but the game seems even a bit easier with it - maybe they dumb it down when you pick 3DS mode.

The slider pad is godly.

Graphics are great, soundtrack is still awesome as well.

Will write more about it when my wrist isn't broken.

How long did it take you too beat? Choc said it took him under 5 hours :O.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Did he complete it, complete it or just do one run through? Because there's multiple paths.

I couldn't get the download play to work either.

Kritz

Banned
Also Electrixx, you aren't actually banned from the chat room but if you ever say that about STALKER ever again I will probably not like you any more.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
giri said:
You went with TPG, what did you expect?

This is what they are, bulk seller at the cheapest price. You're not paying a premium fee, so you won't get a premium service. Their core market is kids who convinced their parents that "we need more bandwidths!".

Its the same as complaining that your mazda 3 isn't as fast as an AMG Mercedes.

As i tell everyone, there's really nothing wrong with TPG net, but they are who they are.

More directed at JaseC.

As said in my post, the problem isn't with the service, but rather the line itself. I moved to TPG knowing full well what I was getting into, but to my relief the past few months - up until recently - were just as smooth (and speedy) as the years I spent with Internode. No need for the condescending lecture.

Danoss said:
First you have to complain to them about it, then they'll say they told Telstra about it and they will fix it. You will then be contacted to be informed that it's fixed, only to find out that it's worse than it was before

That's what happened to a friend of mine just a few days ago. He lives 600m from the exchange and can barely attain 12Mb (he used to be able to get 18-20Mb). He was still obtaining 18-20Mb during the day but it went to absolute crap at nighttime, so he complained. They "fixed" it and now it's pretty ordinary all the time.

I got the TP-Link modem to test on my connection by the way. I plugged it in and set it all up and it's worse than my Billion by 1Mb. My Billion can attain above 5Mb and the TP-Link can only get just above 4Mb. Lucky it was cheap. I'm just going to keep it as a backup modem in case something happens to my Billion.

Jintor: Radiolab.

Sounds like the exchange your friend is connected to was congested.

Kerrby

Banned
VOOK said:
Did he complete it, complete it or just do one run through? Because there's multiple paths.

I couldn't get the download play to work either.

Just one playthrough, I don't understand the multiple paths thing. I've never played it, sounds confusing.

Fredescu said:
Pro tip: Never let Kritz admin anything ever.

This, Kritz is a dick in chat. Can't even take a joke without kicking or banning someone.

Dead Man said:
The ticketing system used in London. One ticket gets you on everything (except a couple trains when I was there), you can recharge the card, it's simple and it works. It just has a stupid name.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_card
So a go card? Seems to work fine from the limited experience i had with them. They just had a reader on all buses/trains/ferries and you swiped when you got on and again off. I didn't have any problems with it when I had one.

I think they've made it way cheaper to use go than to buy tickets now too.

Rezbit

Dead Man said:
Oyster in London made me realise how pathetic almost every other public transport network I've used really is.

True that. Amazing public transport system. People over there still complain about it though!

Frawdder

Adelaide is finally jumping on the 'one card for all public tansport' bandwagon with the trialing of the Metrocard later this year and full rollout by 2013. I am thankful for this because having small paper-like cards that only get you a maximum of 10 trips is really, really annoying.

So yay for Adelaide catching up to the rest of the world, no doubt by 2013 something else will change public transport and Adelaide will be left behind yet again.

Dead Man

Rezbit said:
True that. Amazing public transport system. People over there still complain about it though!
It wouldn't be England if people weren't complaining!

Frawdder said:
Adelaide is finally jumping on the 'one card for all public tansport' bandwagon with the trialing of the Metrocard later this year and full rollout by 2013. I am thankful for this because having small paper-like cards that only get you a maximum of 10 trips is really, really annoying.

So yay for Adelaide catching up to the rest of the world, no doubt by 2013 something else will change public transport and Adelaide will be left behind yet again.
Really? Cool. Now they just need to get a decent system in place to use the bloody thing on.

Kritz

Banned
Kerrby said:
This, Kritz is a dick in chat. Can't even take a joke without kicking or banning someone.

It's hard to keep track of how many people I have banned in the AusGAF Steam chat, but after letting my console calculate it for a few minutes, it has come back with the final result of... two. I've banned two people.

The first was because Jambo was being a fucker and posted Game of Thrones spoilers (specifically, character deaths - I also apologized to him the night of the banning via PM because that was honestly me being a massive cockerdoodle).

The second was because elektrixx was being a fucker and posted this:
"4:36 PM - elektrixx: If Stalker was better it would be on a console."
I unbanned him less than ten seconds later and also kind of said sorry because I thought maybe the following wasn't entirely obvious:

Fredescu said:
To him, that is the joke.

I dunno. I have a real fuckin' talent for getting people not to like me. Maybe I cross the line between "kind of sarcastic asshole" to "ironically being a sarcastic asshole for comedy" too often for people to tell which is which.

At what point can being a parody of yourself no longer constitute being a parody?

jambo

Dead Man said:
Really? Cool. Now they just need to get a decent system in place to use the bloody thing on.

Adelaide's public transport is great if you want to get in and out of town, but getting anywhere else can be a bit of a hassle.

Kritz said:
that was honestly me being a massive cockerdoodle

We were both cockerdoodles that night

hamchan

Kritz said:
The first was because Jambo was being a fucker and posted Game of Thrones spoilers (specifically, character deaths - I also apologized to him the night of the banning via PM because that was honestly me being a massive cockerdoodle).

PERMABAN

Rez said:
It sounds like Myki?
Not even close. Myki is a clusterfuck of epic proportions. I'm not privy to the ins and outs of the Oyster's roll out (or Octopus, for Hong Kong, which is basically the same -- incidentally Metro who run Melbourne's train system now are the same MTR that runs the Hong Kong system which is fantastic) but it works fantastically well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GOT spoilers = deserved ban

also, new Breaking Bad is 82.5% encoded~~~~~oh my GOHD~~

Dead Man

jambo said:
Adelaide's public transport is great if you want to get in and out of town, but getting anywhere else can be a bit of a hassle.
Pretty much. The road design doesn't help, I'll give them that. They also need to get bus services that are not a crap shoot in the mornings. When I was working in the city, at least once a week a bus would drive past full, then another, then maybe one would stop. Or there would just be no bus for 30 minutes, then 2 in a row. Rubbish.

The government needs to bite the bullet and expand the tram network, and the O Bahn needs to be extended like they planned before it was cut.

Fredescu

Kritz said:
At what point can being a parody of yourself no longer constitute being a parody?
At the point where you're banning people for a laugh, or doing things for a laugh because you yourself can't be banned (threatening GoT spoilers yourself, again as a laugh), or banning a whole IRC channel as a laugh. Those are all funny things to you, but they represent an attack to the person they're getting done to. Especially when said person doesn't "know" Krtiz.

Kritz

Banned
you assholes someone said STALKER wasn't good enough to be on a consoles that's the

you're

man if I didn't think that the assholes in the high res screenshot thread were such pc master race elitist dicks I'd ask them to come in here and fuckin fix your broken ass perspectives on this shit

I really like that neogaf didn't make it illegal to swear a lot

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Struggling to tame the beast, console pleb?

Choc

Banned
Oyster is a system that works, unlike Myki

Also NSW AG is going to abstain from the R18 vote this Friday, defeating the motion.

So guess what States, guess fucking what. The federal government is going to take the review, read it, realise the thing needs a overhaul, teh whole lot and legislate it AND remove your powers. And guess what, you won't be able to do a thing about it.

States holding federal governments to ransom on a federal issue, is beyond ridiculous.

I'm telling you, it will never happen until the Government removes the powers from the states. It does not require a referendum because its not a constitutional right and power. It is only written in the Classification Act of 1996. Amend that, and its all over red rover states. You lose the power to control it, and its YOUR OWN FAULT

Dead Man

Choc said:
Oyster is a system that works, unlike Myki

Also NSW AG is going to abstain from the R18 vote this Friday, defeating the motion.

So guess what States, guess fucking what. The federal government is going to take the review, read it, realise the thing needs a overhaul, teh whole lot and legislate it AND remove your powers. And guess what, you won't be able to do a thing about it.

States holding federal governments to ransom on a federal issue, is beyond ridiculous.

I'm telling you, it will never happen until the Government removes the powers from the states. It does not require a referendum because its not a constitutional right and power. It is only written in the Classification Act of 1996. Amend that, and its all over red rover states. You lose the power to control it, and its YOUR OWN FAULT
So unbelievably weak.

Kritz

Banned
Fredescu said:
At the point where you're banning people for a laugh, or doing things for a laugh because you yourself can't be banned (threatening GoT spoilers yourself, again as a laugh), or banning a whole IRC channel as a laugh. Those are all funny things to you, but they represent an attack to the person they're getting done to. Especially when said person doesn't "know" Krtiz.

I really hate doing this because I feel like my quality of posting is already like seven boners too far off the deep end, but here it goes!

1. I said sorry for that because that was me totally being out of bounds
2. Specifically the GOT thing, I actually didn't know what I said was a spoiler. For context, the spoiler was (second book spoilers about 1/4 of the way in):
I asked if Theon was going to be a central character to the book, and in the same line said that you had a POV chapter of him.

That was, in its entirety, the only thing I remember spoiling. I never threatened to spoil anything. What I did do was have a half hour argument with Legend over what defines a spoiler. I think at one point I might have said "game of thrones dies". I don't know, maybe that's a threat spoiler. I kind of accept Legend's opinion that the thing I did could be considered a spoiler, but also, it wasn't like I said "WHO WANTS TO HAVE SOME GAME OF THRONE SPOILERS", waited until everyone didn't want them, and then posted them. I asked because I genuinely thought it could provoke a conversation, and didn't think it could be considered a spoiler. The thought of it being a spoiler didn't at a single point cross my mind about that topic.

The thing that happened there was that people went apeshit fucking crazy just yelling "SPOILERS" (which I helped with because it's funny to yell out "SPOILERS" because it's such a silly thing to do), when all I wanted to do was have a conversation about how I disagreed at the time that what I said wasn't a spoiler. I wasn't even interested in GOT talk anymore.

3. I apologized to Jambo personally about that, via PM, the night I did it. I believe he was the only person who gave a shit about the IRC. Like, yeah, that was a fucking terrible thing I did. I really, really shouldn't have done it, and my desire for "lulz" (as the internet has decided to call it. Fucking internet) kind of took over my ability to think of ramifications.

Finally,

I've asked Evl to take away my steam admin stuff. Because I want you to know that I'm not hiding by some fucking badge. Originally, I asked for group abilities so I could post announcements and organise community games. I didn't have the ability to kick or ban people until Evl gave a bunch of other people mod powers. Since I haven't done group events in a while, sure. I'll drop it.

You know what's the single fucking worst thing about communities? God damn drama. I just want to play and talk about fucking video games.

EDIT: Also I should specify this post isn't... well, entirely targeted towards you. More to like, the points you provided.

Choc

Banned
Choc: people are over t
Choc: people over it
Choc: im over it
Choc: the only way we will get R18 is if they do an entire overhaul of clasification and start to dick with music and films
Choc: thats when the mainstream will go FUCK YOU YOU CANT FUCKING TELL ME WHAT I WATCH
elektrixx: Old people need to die.
Choc: im so over it really
Choc: by the next SCAG there will be another election
Choc: and this will happen again
Choc: he has been in power, four months
Choc: four fucking months, how long does it take
Choc: its a fucking copout from a useless bastard of a government that NSW now has
Choc: who has no policies on anything, and has done FUCK ALL TO FIX IT since they got power
Choc: sure labor was shit, but the ytried stuff

necause i cant fucking be arsed re-writing it, but i am right and you know it.

Top Bottom