• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Fredescu

Marshmellow said:
I am yet to play Metro:2033 and was wondering 1)whats to love 2) whats not to love 3)how similar to stalker is it?...because i hate stalker
1) Atmosphere!
2) Shooting the mutants
3) Stalker is open world and Metro is linear. They share some thematic similarities.

Overall, for me, point 2 overcame point 1 and I've never finished it. I want to like it, I just couldn't.

Marshmellow said:
Is $30 on steam cheapest im going to get it?
If you're patient you should be able to get it much cheaper.

kase23

Marshmellow said:
Ok so thanks do Omi (Damn you! *shakes fist*) I am now interested in metro: last night

I am yet to play Metro:2033 and was wondering 1)whats to love 2) whats not to love 3)how similar to stalker is it?...because i hate stalker

Is $30 on steam cheapest im going to get it?

Thanks guys!
1) Its a shooter that sits somewhere between the half life and stalker series
2) Very taxing on your system at the highest visual fidelity
3) In mechanics? not very, the gunplay is very tight and there's no bullet physics like STALKER, atmosphere wasn't the same either IMO
in stalker you were always out in the open with the sense that your being watched at all times, metro is much more linear with no chance of straying off the path.

giri

Salazar said:
That's what I'm after.

A dude in a female hairdressing salon is a second class customer.
so wrong!

I go to a fairly upmarket one, but i get delighted at all the girls in the salons outfits, and have friendly back and forths with a few of the staff in their. And i get looked after before most of the females that go in.

/me shrug.

kase23 said:
Just got home to this shit
God damn you capcom! that was one of the reasons I brought a 3DS om the first place

Not surprising really, especially after Inafune left. The fact that they were doing all that community stuff to drum up support before the game was even greenlit shows it was on shakey ground from the beginning.

jambo

kase23 said:
atmosphere wasn't the same either IMO
in stalker you were always out in the open with the sense that your being watched at all times, metro is much more linear with no chance of straying off the path.

I actually prefer the atmosphere in Metro. My favourite part of STALKER was the various underground xlabs that you had to visit. Everything was claustrophobic, dark and tense. Metro is basically that, but all the time.

Sneaking around, picking off guys one by one whilst destroying all the light sources in a rebel camp had me on the edge of my seat every time.

I even like the mutants, especially when you're wandering around on the surface and run in to one, but it doesn't notice you. You can back pedal a bit and watch them wandering around, interacting with each other and exploring.

And I also really like everything about the weapons. The trading, looting for ammo, the animations, the feel, the sound, everything clicked for me.

GIi5S.png
GIi5S.png
GIi5S.png
GIi5S.png
GIi5S.png

Choc

Banned
giri said:
so wrong!

I go to a fairly upmarket one
, but i get delighted at all the girls in the salons outfits, and have friendly back and forths with a few of the staff in their. And i get looked after before most of the females that go in.

/me shrug.

cue people shouting 'this is why you cant go out on weekends'

i jest giri don't worry :)

Omikron

Talking about haircuts makes me realise I haven't had one since just before my son was born. Christ. What a fucking slob. :)

Meanwhile, get Metro Marsh, put as Fred said, if you can wait, it can probably be obtained for cheaper. It really is a great linear shooter with a great atmosphere.

Deeku

giri said:
so wrong!

I go to a fairly upmarket one, but i get delighted at all the girls in the salons outfits, and have friendly back and forths with a few of the staff in their. And i get looked after before most of the females that go in.

/me shrug.
hot girls washing your hair is the best!

giri

jambo said:
Why bother when you can't even go out on the weekends?
Because i got sick of the absolutely terrible cuts is was getting for $20.

It's purely a luxury, i realise that, but even if i don't go out, atleast i'm not growing out another terrible cut.

Brisbane has some terrible hairdressers it seems :(

Besides, they aren't actually that much more. I may be a gamer, but doesnt mean i have to look/dress shit.

jambo

giri said:
Because i got sick of the absolutely terrible cuts is was getting for $20.

It's purely a luxury, i realise that, but even if i don't go out, atleast i'm not growing out another terrible cut.

Brisbane has some terrible hairdressers it seems :(

I was kidding ;P

Danoss

giri said:
so wrong!

/me shrug.
Pay a premium, get better service, who knew? Seriously man, what you just did is like telling someone who owns a 1979 Ford bomb-whatever that your 2011 Rolls Royce is a smoother ride. Christ.

Go to a standard hairdresser and tell me you got the same experience. I will call you a liar if you do.

$15 barber vs $15 hairdresser. It's not even a contest. Actually, are there even any decent $15 hairdressers around?

Deeku

Do $15 hairdresser salons even exist? The average in Sydney for men is $50, and that's not even a fancy schmancy one. Fancy ones are $80+.

Edit: haha beat me on the edit.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind trying a barber though. It's just that the ones I have seen look awfully dodgy.

giri

jambo said:
I was kidding ;P
I know, and even though i feel all my points were just, it wouldn't be the net if i didn't get ridiculed for it.

Danoss said:
Pay a premium, get better service, who knew? Seriously man, what you just did is like telling someone who owns a 1979 Ford bomb-whatever that your 2011 Rolls Royce is a smoother ride. Christ.

Go to a standard hairdresser and tell me you got the same experience. I will call you a liar if you do.

$15 barber vs $15 hairdresser. It's not even a contest. Actually, are there even any decent $15 hairdressers around?

Maybe, but /shrug as someone who got sick of being treated poorly, was just relaying the point.

And

commanderdeek said:
Do $15 hairdresser salons even exist? The average in Sydney for men is $50, and that's not even a fancy schmancy one. Fancy ones are $80+.

They do (well, $20 ones do), we have one just around the corner, they're the student hairdressers though (hair academy or what ever). And... well, experience tells me, it's not worth the risk. Even steffans is like $35 $40 i think? and they're pretty much standard these days.

No wonder DJ's is going bust.

Danoss

commanderdeek said:

But yeah, I wouldn't mind trying a barber though. It's just that the ones I have seen look awfully dodgy.
Try a barber, they're great. My local one charges $15, seriously. Best haircuts ever, shame he's retiring shortly and I'm not sure what the new guy is like.

legend166

I pay $16 for my short back and sides every couple of months.

I get it done in this awesome old school barbershop in Chatswood. All the guys are old Italians and whenever I go in they're all talking about the soccer and stuff.

Heard some, um, provocative comments about the Chatswood locals, though. Those who know Chatswood should gather my meaning ._.

commanderdeek said:

I'm so glad I a, live in Melbourne and b, have relatives that own a successful hair dressers. Woohoo $20 for a $40 cut.

Danoss

commanderdeek said:
I don't venture north much, but whenever I'm in Chatswood all I see is asians.
Well, you're half-way there I would assume. Now imagine some less than nice things to say about Asians and you're done.

legend166

commanderdeek said:
Like what? Do tell.

I don't venture north much, but whenever I'm in Chatswood all I see is asians.

Well yes.

I guess 'provocative' isn't exactly the best term.

Let's just go with racist.

This was awhile back now:

Barber: "So you've got the day off work?" (I was getting a haircut at like 2pm on a Tuesday or something."

Me: "No actually, I'm on uni holidays."

Barber: "Oh really? That's good. I live out in Randwick, near the university out there. I can never get a seat because of all the [insert racist term for Asians] around."

Me: "Oh."

This was a 70+ Italian dude. I just found it funny considering we were in the middle of Chatswood, haha.

Danoss said:
Try a barber, they're great. My local one charges $15, seriously. Best haircuts ever, shame he's retiring shortly and I'm not sure what the new guy is like.
I second this. I think the one I go to might be a bit more, but I mean like $18 or something. None of this $50 haircut. Screw that shit.

Actually one of the few things I'm going to miss when I leave here is the barber. Who last time was, hilariously, a woman. But it's normally a dude, named Bob of course, and the whole place is decked out in rugby and soccer gear and crazy old shaving equipment. It's pretty pimp. Way better than the shit you get from the nearby hairdresser

jambo

commanderdeek said:

$50? Wtf

Hairdresser that I've been going to since I was a kid charges $25 and one in town I've been using lately only $20 and they're both great. The $20 one even shaves all of the little shit off the back of your neck.

jambo said:
$50? Wtf

Hairdresser that I've been going to since I was a kid charges $25 and one in town I've been using lately only $20 and they're both great. The $20 one even shaves all of the little shit off the back of your neck.

Uh. Isn't this.. just.. normal?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
$25 here for a haircut at the barber, cuts it all good, trims and tidies everything and often get a shave too. Straight cut razor type too.

Deeku

legend166 said:
This was a 70+ Italian dude. I just found it funny considering we were in the middle of Chatswood, haha.
That is funny haha. I wonder what clipper's view on asians is since he both lives in Randwick and works at unsw lol.

r1chard

Shaneus said:
I go to The Barber Club down at Docklands, Melb. Female "barber", free beer, wash and haircut for $30.
I like the sound of that service. Bit far to trek though just for a cut. I'm a regular for the $20 cut with the (greek I think) guy in the little alley just up Collins St from Southern Cross - the one with Perk Up on the corner (mmm, $2 coffee)

VOOK said:
$25 here for a haircut at the barber, cuts it all good, trims and tidies everything and often get a shave too. Straight cut razor type too.

Ive spent $90 on a haircut before. Unknown to me, i thought i was getting like a $30 good haircut

But it ended up being shampoo and condition etc. then a cut, then she decided putting blond streaks in my hair was a good idea. So $90 and 1hr 30mins later i walked back into work and everyone is just like (insert WTFace here)

Deeku

You guys haven't lived until you get your eyebrows plucked for $75.

I haven't though, I just know a place that does.

Kritz

Banned
My mother's a hairdresser. I get cuts for free. One time I told my workmates my mother cuts my hair.

"Oh yeah, I can tell"

:(

commanderdeek said:
You guys haven't lived until you get your eyebrows plucked for $75.
Threading's where it's at, man. Becoming a lot more popular here.

Last year in Istanbul I spotted a barber threading a guy's eyebrows, while he held one end of the thread between his teeth.

Jintor

They really should start dividing up men's footware stores and women's footware stores

I just spent two hours wandering around Hornsby from shop to shop arriving, looking at the window, and then shaking my head and heading to the next store

THEY'RE ALL WOMEN'S SHOE STORES

Gazunta

Men's footware stores would go out of business in a week. We typically don't "do" shoe shopping.

I've been wearing and buying the exact same shoe for over 20 years now.

Chuck Taylor's Converse Hi Tops, size 11, in whatever colour I haven't bought before. BOOYAH

jambo

I've only got a few pairs of shoes.

Black dress/work shoes
Brown dress/work shoes
White Adidas Taekwondo
New Balance cross trainers

Bought 2 pairs of the Taekwondo ones, love them. Probably going to get another pair soon, the current ones are wearing out.

Deeku

Mainly converse hi tops for me.

I wana get some cool hipster mountain or chukka boots though.

Also, nice work Ausgaf, we've gone from talking about hair to shoes.

Jintor

Gazunta said:
Men's footware stores would go out of business in a week. We typically don't "do" shoe shopping.

I've been wearing and buying the exact same shoe for over 20 years now.

Chuck Taylor's Converse Hi Tops, size 11, in whatever colour I haven't bought before. BOOYAH

No offence, but I need something that won't melt in puddles

I NEED BOOTS

Top Bottom