• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Stackboy

Scrow said:
there's a place i go to in the valley for $10 cuts. no fuss, walk in, get the cut done in 5-10 minutes, pay $10, on your way.

I work at Coorparoo, and this place is 5 minutes walk from my workplace.

Jintor

I need some kind of audio box thing that will accept HDMI inputs, preferably multiple ones, and send them off to speakers etc. Dad bought a box but I just looked at it and it doesn't accept inputs. Can I use the speakers I got with the box dad bought with some other standalone thingymagig?

I'm planning to plug a PS3 in there so I can watch the blu rays, but first I need to get this 5.1 setup.

Omikron

Jintor said:
I need some kind of audio box thing that will accept HDMI inputs, preferably multiple ones, and send them off to speakers etc. Dad bought a box but I just looked at it and it doesn't accept inputs. Can I use the speakers I got with the box dad bought with some other standalone thingymagig?

I'm planning to plug a PS3 in there so I can watch the blu rays, but first I need to get this 5.1 setup.

You mean an Audio Video Receiver?

evlcookie said:

Ah thanks. The thing is I was going to just buy a regular USB 2.0 external HDD but my new laptop has an eSATA port so I thought I might as well get a compatible HDD if it has a faster transfer rate. I was curious as to whether it would be cheaper to buy my own HDD and enclosure over buying one all ready enclosed. Going from the prices of them on pccasegear it works out about the same so I think I'm going to go with this.

Thanks for your help.

jambo

Jintor said:

Go down to JB HiFi, you should be able to find a decently priced Pioneer receiver or something similar.

Jintor

Fusebox said:
I reckon he does!

Pretty funny, I think his dad just bought a switch-box - but then even it would have inputs. What did his dad just buy?

He bought a glorified HD-DVD player with a speaker set

Omikron

jambo said:
Go down to JB HiFi, you should be able to find a decently priced Pioneer receiver or something similar.

Going in and buying an AVR without considering budget and also what you want it to do is perhaps somewhat crazy. But sure. :p

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Omi said:
Constant growth is a requirement in this day and age.

I hate it.

Meanwhile, today marks 1 year exactly since my son was 'conceived'. Champagne anyone? :p

gratsonthesex.jpg

jambo

Omi said:
Going in and buying an AVR without considering budget and also what you want it to do is perhaps somewhat crazy. But sure. :p

Uhhh...

Jintor said:
I need some kind of audio box thing that will accept HDMI inputs, preferably multiple ones, and send them off to speakers etc.

And who needs a budget, just how ever much you want to spend =P

Omikron

VOOK said:
gratsonthesex.jpg

Haha.... strangely more to celebrate than just that when you go through a process called IVF. But cheers. ;)

jambo said:
Uhhh...

And who needs a budget, just how ever much you want to spend =P

Yeah, I know, but the fact he had no idea what it was, might suggest he do some research first, rather than get some unit some lackey at JB recommends only to find out later he wants it to do more! Plenty of units don't even support HDMI 1.4a for example or HD audio, etc, etc.

Jintor

My only real question is whether or not A/V Recievers will accept any damn type of speaker. The cables are all standardised right?

Jintor

Urgh, give me a PC to fiddle around with any day

Anyway, given the amount of cash we'll have to fork over I guess it behooves us to do some research first... currently looking at a Pioneer 5.1 Full HD A/V Receiver VSX-520...

This kinda shit is what happens when dad decides he can just fool around getting Dick Smith-branded crap

Choc

Banned
Gaz's baby
51xpdNRbshL.jpg

Shaneus

Jintor said:
Urgh, give me a PC to fiddle around with any day

Anyway, given the amount of cash we'll have to fork over I guess it behooves us to do some research first... currently looking at a Pioneer 5.1 Full HD A/V Receiver VSX-520...

This kinda shit is what happens when dad decides he can just fool around getting Dick Smith-branded crap
That's why I'm stoked my old man is a hardcore hi-fi nut. Doesn't know much about newish tech like home surround sound and digital, but he never skimps or buys anything he's not familiar with.

Shaneus

I can vouch for the 690-II, very nice case and easy as piss to work with. The other one looks like an "extreme" version of that, but it can fit the bigger video cards in it. I'd be leaning toward that one, but only on that fact alone.

Gazunta said:
WHOOOOOOOO YEAH

Preorder now people

Your pre-order bonus is a Gazunta hug

:(

Haha, only kidding Gaz. If i owned a wii i would definately buy to support!
Alas i do not and your hug will not get me one :(

Gratz on completion though!

Omi said:
Haha.... strangely more to celebrate than just that when you go through a process called IVF. But cheers. ;)
You guys did IVF? I find it amazing that we can even create new humans using such techniques. Twins seem really frequent through IVF.

Omikron

codswallop said:
You guys did IVF? I find it amazing that we can even create new humans using such techniques. Twins seem really frequent through IVF.
Yeah we did, it is totally amazing and we will pretty much always be thankful to science. :)

Twins are only common because generally older couples will implant more than one embryo to increase chances of success.

Clipper

AusGAF, convince me as to whether I should buy or not buy Borderlands. The Borderlands bundle (including all DLC) for PS3 is US$15 for US PS Plus members this week and it seems like a bargain, but I just don't know as I've never been that big of a fan of modern shooters. Thus, I'm really on the fence and need some guidance to fall either way.

Is there stuff which sets this apart from other games that would make it interesting? What's the story like? Is the DLC worth playing?

Thanks in advance for any help in either direction.

Clipper said:
AusGAF, convince me as to whether I should buy or not buy Borderlands. The Borderlands bundle (including all DLC) for PS3 is US$15 for US PS Plus members this week and it seems like a bargain, but I just don't know as I've never been that big of a fan of modern shooters. Thus, I'm really on the fence and need some guidance to fall either way.

Is there stuff which sets this apart from other games that would make it interesting? What's the story like? Is the DLC worth playing?

To me it was a fun time-sink shooter. While it was good and i enjoyed it for around 12 hours. I dont think i will ever pick it up and play again. Also playing with mates makes a massive differance

jambo

Only buy Borderlands if you can play it with mates. In singleplayer and with randoms online it's a shit experience.

But with friends who have mics it's some of the most MP fun this gen.

giri

Gazunta said:
WHOOOOOOOO YEAH

Preorder now people

Your pre-order bonus is a Gazunta hug

:(
Ever since i became a programmer i buy as much of my stuff as i can.

Ok, since i left uni and could afford too, anyway.

jambo said:
Only buy Borderlands if you can play it with mates. In singleplayer and with randoms online it's a shit experience.

But with friends who have mics it's some of the most MP fun this gen.

Bold statement, this GEN is fairly old, it includes Halo 3 and... tons of others.

Omi said:
Yeah we did, it is totally amazing and we will pretty much always be thankful to science. :)
Praise science! I'm actually starting to hear of a lot of people who do IVF nowadays. Really interesting. I wonder if it's something to do with society (is something we're doing/eating causing more difficulty, or are we waiting longer, etc) or just that thing where you start to notice something more (like if you bought a Volvo you'll start seeing Volvos everywhere).

Omi said:
Twins are only common because generally older couples will implant more than one embryo to increase chances of success.
Ah OK, never knew that point. What do they consider "older"?

Clipper said:
AusGAF, convince me as to whether I should buy or not buy Borderlands. The Borderlands bundle (including all DLC) for PS3 is US$15.
If you've got some mates to play it with, it's awesome. I've never really gotten into MMOs but it feels like an MMOFPS to me, with the way it's structured.

Pretty boring as a single player game, and you're probably better off having 1-2 hour sessions at a time.

Aon

Clipper said:

The differential is the loot progression mechanic and light RPG elements. It is quite the translation of the traditional ARPG formula, although the gunplay never really clicked for me. The story is nigh on nonexistant and the DLC is, Mad Moxxy aside, a significant chunk of more content of the same quality. Although unless you're having a blast with the co-op, I can't really imagine you desperately wanting more game at the end as it last for quite some time.

If the idea of a loot mechanic in an FPS appeals to you then go for it if you have some people to play it with or a desperate need to make it through 50+ hours of podcast xD

Omikron

codswallop said:
Praise science! I'm actually starting to hear of a lot of people who do IVF nowadays. Really interesting. I wonder if it's something to do with society (is something we're doing/eating causing more difficulty, or are we waiting longer, etc) or just that thing where you start to notice something more (like if you bought a Volvo you'll start seeing Volvos everywhere).

Heh, maybe, it is more common than you would think, just not a lot of people necessarily talk about it, mainly due to people thinking there is a bit of a social stigma about it (and people not wanting to admit they are less than perfect!).

Whether the more people accessing treatment is resulting in increased fertility problems, who knows... I guess that is something we will find out later down the track and curse science again. :p

codswallop said:
Ah OK, never knew that point. What do they consider "older"?

Every year over 30 for a female I believe decreases your chances of natural conception (late 20s I believe is the peak fertility rate?)

Shaneus

Re: Borderlands. Gave it a crack in SP, could never really get into it... but a game has to be pretty fucking impressive to keep me playing it, so take that with a grain of salt.

Omi said:
It is more common than you would think, just not a lot of people necessarily talk about it, mainly due to people thinking there is a bit of a social stigma about it (and people not wanting to admit they are less than perfect!).
Yeah, I think that's probably the main reason. The perception is that if you "need" IVF then there's something wrong with you.

Which is a bit disappointing really; especially when you consider that people undergoing IVF usually want kids as much or more than others who don't need it.

Gazunta

Marshmellow said:
Haha, only kidding Gaz. If i owned a wii i would definately buy to support!
Alas i do not and your hug will not get me one :(

Gratz on completion though!
Thanks but we're not out of the woods yet :) (he says as lunch break begins...)

And we're making it for 360 and PS3 too so everyone can share the love! Also there's a DS and 3DS version developed by WayForward.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
When was book depo this slow? I'm going to blame amazon buying them out.

My book was shipped on the 5th and it's now the 20th, Still not here. By the time it gets here i might be over reading a song of ice and fire or whatever it's called.

Stackboy

Just finished the main campaign for Borderlands over the weekend. One of the funnest games this gen. The DLC is good too. I played it mostly by myself and a had a great time, but I could be a game loner.

Gazunta said:
Thanks but we're not out of the woods yet :) (he says as lunch break begins...)

And we're making it for 360 and PS3 too so everyone can share the love! Also there's a DS and 3DS version developed by WayForward.

360 it is then!

I am looking at getting an electrician to put 2 network sockets in walls and a tv antenna socket. Anyone happen to know around what this might cost me?

Stackboy said:
Just finished the main campaign for Borderlands over the weekend. One of the funnest games this gen.
I had a blast playing through with a mate, and with more people it would be pretty good. Frankly I found the finale a bit of a letdown and I wish there were more unique, big set-piece style missions as most of them were MMO-style collectathons. But it was still good fun.

jambo

evlcookie said:

My book was shipped on the 5th and it's now the 20th, Still not here. By the time it gets here i might be over reading a song of ice and fire or whatever it's called.

My Book Depository order shipped on the 13th, hope it doesn't take too long.

evlcookie said:

I assume you're waiting for A Dance With Dragons? If so it's worth the wait. I'm about half way through it and it's probably the best written of the series so far, a welcome return to form after A Feast For Crows (which I though was probably the weakest in the series). There are a bunch of new plot lines which I never saw coming and are really interesting.

jambo said:
My Book Depository order shipped on the 13th, hope it doesn't take too long.

I got my 4 books i ordered. First 3 within 3 days and the last one arrived on the 6th day after ordering.

No problems at all. If you are waiting on A Dance with Dragons i would assume they might have a stock issue currently. If its the others i hope you know amazon are selling a boxed set for $20 which i bought last week as well.

jambo

I also have Metro 2033 sitting in my basket, but I couldn't find an English version of Metro 2034 so I might leave it until I find another book or two, save on shipping and what not.

EDIT: Hmm I could get Contact, I never got around to finishing it as the copy I was reading was my ex's =S

Top Bottom