• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
endlessflood said:
I assume you're waiting for A Dance With Dragons? If so it's worth the wait. I'm about half way through it and it's probably the best written of the series so far, a welcome return to form after A Feast For Crows (which I though was probably the weakest in the series). There are a bunch of new plot lines which I never saw coming and are really interesting.

Nope, Waiting on the second book! I only finished game of thrones 2 or so weeks ago now, Wish it didn't take so damn long to turn up.

Deeku

evlcookie said:
Nope, Waiting on the second book! I only finished game of thrones 2 or so weeks ago now, Wish it didn't take so damn long to turn up.
Reading the second book at the moment too. Had the books for a while but just couldn't get into it until now. With my slow ass reading pace, I'll hopefully be able to start ADWD by the end of the year.

rass

I can't look at the book depository any more, I have a big ass backlog of books from there and everytime I look I buy more. "Best impulse control winner 2011"

rass

jambo said:
Shit rass, you just reminded me that I have like 5 books that I still need to read :lol
I have 20 or so, I'm a slow reader. I got stuck trying to read 'the crying of lot 49' and haven't really had the energy to start on something else.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm half way through GoT. I'm really, really loving it. It's just nice to be reading again.

jambo

It is a bit lazy compared to reading the actual book, but when I listen on the way to work it allows me to get through a lot more of the book.

On the way to and from work I can only really read a book when I'm sitting on the bus, but with an audiobook I can start listening the moment I step out of the office and not stop until I get home.

Aon

jambo said:
Damn Internet impulse buying, just ordered Metro 2033 and Contact from Book Depository for $19.67!

2033 is a really good book. Less of the mutant stuff, more of the great tension between the subterranean neo nazis and stalinists. It also fleshes the hell outa the stations. I read a really shitty translation too from some PDF on pirate bay.

Wish I could find 2034.

Jintor

jambo said:
It is a bit lazy compared to reading the actual book, but when I listen on the way to work it allows me to get through a lot more of the book.

On the way to and from work I can only really read a book when I'm sitting on the bus, but with an audiobook I can start listening the moment I step out of the office and not stop until I get home.

But that's what podcasts are for!

Jintor

Gaz, wasn't WayForward the name of the software company in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

What are you trying to pull here

jambo

If they have a good reader, like Stephen Fry with the Harry Potter audiobooks, you won't be able to stop listening.

There's been a few times when I've gotten home from work and left my headphones in for another 30 minutes, just to hear the rest of a chapter.

Gazunta

Jintor said:
Gaz, wasn't WayForward the name of the software company in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

What are you trying to pull here
WayForward Technologies, yah :)

Don't look at me, WayForward have been around for like 20 years, they did Contra on DS, A Boy and His Blob on Wii, a heap of awesome 2D stuff

Omikron

Arrived today, cheers book depo

GameOThrones.jpg

Edit: yeah, my desk is also covered in paper like crazy.

commanderdeek said:
Reading the second book at the moment too. Had the books for a while but just couldn't get into it until now. With my slow ass reading pace, I'll hopefully be able to start ADWD by the end of the year.
There's no rush mate! It took him 5 years to write ADWD so you might as well pace yourself: The Winds Of Winter could be a while coming... :)

Does anyone have an extra copy of just cause 2 or metro 2033 laying around on steam?
if you gift it to me id be happy to give u some money for it!

rass

Choc said:
so for all you macboys OSX Lion should be out around 1030 this evening Sydney time
I learnt my lesson getting Tiger on release day, I'll wait a couple of months.

Say I was on the market for a portable music playing device, anyone have a favourite? I have an iPhone but don't like to use it for music for various reasons.

Rimfya

Banned
Wait, so Dance with Dragons isn't the end? I excitedly bought Clash of Kings thinking I would read the whole saga before the next TV series but it's ongoing ... ugh.

Side note: JB has Blur, Tron Evolution and Dark Void in the 2 for $40 bin. Are any of those two worth that much?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Rimfya said:
Wait, so Dance with Dragons isn't the end? I excitedly bought Clash of Kings thinking I would read the whole saga before the next TV series but it's ongoing ... ugh.

Side note: JB has Blur, Tron Evolution and Dark Void in the 2 for $40 bin. Are any of those two worth that much?

I threw my copy of Tron Evolution in the bin last night, seriously.

Oops double post.

Choc

Banned
VOOK said:
I already have it ;)

alright vook, time for some revenge here

:p

wheres your vooks mac osx app on the appstore huh. You accuse me of getting IOS SDK just to get the beta (fwiw i have almost finished my IOS app ;) ) :p

so did you just get mac osx dev licence to just get lion :p

Rimfya

Banned
VOOK said:
I threw my copy of Tron Evolution in the bin last night, seriously.

Oops double post.
Yarg really?

I need something that's not a shooter, not a racing game, has a story and makes cool lights and noises (so my 2YO will sit quietly and watch). Will it suffice even that?

Rimfya said:

I enjoyed playing dark void for what it was and i hear some people saying blur is good. So i suppose those 2.

Rimfya said:
Yarg really?

I need something that's not a shooter, not a racing game, has a story and makes cool lights and noises (so my 2YO will sit quietly and watch). Will it suffice even that?

Put Pokemon on?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Choc said:
wheres your vooks mac osx app on the appstore huh. You accuse me of getting IOS SDK just to get the beta (fwiw i have almost finished my IOS app ;) ) :p

so did you just get mac osx dev licence to just get lion :p

It got pulled cos I didn't pay to renew fee earlier in the year and I don't have the code to upload again. I thought paying again would put it up, but no dice.

Lion is just a bonus.

Rimfya said:
Yarg really?

It was just very boring for me, a 2YO will probably have a fit over it though. (So yes, good for your purpose).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rez said:
I'm half way through GoT. I'm really, really loving it. It's just nice to be reading again.

If you haven't already buy the second book. GoT just keeps getting better as the book goes on, So i get the feeling you will be all like "Holy shit, must keep reading" and then at the end you will want to jump straight into book 2 without actually having it.

Avoid that, Buy the books!

Deeku

Ehhh I think I'll just wait until I get a new macbook/mac and have it come with Lion. Will probably be upgrading in the next year or 2 anyway.

I'm probably a third of the way through A Game of Thrones.

My conundrum is, after watching the series first and then reading the book, do I wait for the second season next year or read the book now.

Both are damned good and it's a tough choice.

Omikron

codswallop said:
I'm probably a third of the way through A Game of Thrones.

My conundrum is, after watching the series first and then reading the book, do I wait for the second season next year or read the book now.

Both are damned good and it's a tough choice.

IMO, read the damn books.

jambo

One interesting thing I've gotten out of listening to the Harry Potter audiobooks after watching the movies is that because stuff is left out or thinned down in the movies, the books/audiobooks feel like an extended edition, which is kinda awesome.

Fogz

jambo said:
It is delicious. Eargasmic.

Thats one of the series I need to get to as well. I might let Stephen read them to me instead.

The movies don't mean that much to me and I stopped bothering after the first couple. I also remember almost nothing about any of them.

jambo said:
One interesting thing I've gotten out of listening to the Harry Potter audiobooks after watching the movies is that because stuff is left out or thinned down in the movies, the books/audiobooks feel like an extended edition, which is kinda awesome.
That's kind of what I was thinking with the Game of Thrones stuff.

legend166

I think I said this a week ago, but Harry Potter 3 is the best because Alfonso Cauron is better than every other director they've used.

I think the 5th was the last one I watched. It became really hard for someone who's never read the books to understand what the heck was going on.

Omikron

codswallop said:
Yeah, I think that's probably the main reason. The perception is that if you "need" IVF then there's something wrong with you.

Which is a bit disappointing really; especially when you consider that people undergoing IVF usually want kids as much or more than others who don't need it.

Oops missed this post, you are kinda correct, although I don't like to think about the fact we wanted kids more than the next person, as it is kind of hard to put into perspective. It is just a relief that it all worked out. :p

One thing I will say for certain however is that having to fork out 11+k last financial year in medical expenses is tough. :)

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Oops missed this post, you are kinda correct, although I don't like to think about the fact we wanted kids more than the next person, as it is kind of hard to put into perspective. It is just a relief that it all worked out. :p

One thing I will say for certain however is that having to fork out 11+k last financial year in medical expenses is tough. :)

you'll get a fair whack of a tax offset from that omi.

Choc

Banned
ahahaha apple put a feature in Lion JUST for apple stores

Reboot into Safari

This is a feature that turns your system into an internet kiosk. The "Reboot into Safari" can be found on the user lock screen. It allows unauthorized users to use the Mac only to browse the Web. In this mode, only a Safari window will appear and nothing else. When an unauthorized user browses web, the Safari browser will not show any of the bookmarks on the Mac.

i mean yes its there for general people, but wat, who would use it

Choc

Banned
true, i guess :)

also for those of you who want to watch history, its been annoucned the final space shuttle will re-enter the earths atmosphere at approximately 10:48pm AEST this evening.

might be live on ABC 24, but will be on nasa.gov

Deeku

jambo said:
It would allow you to let people use your Mac and not have to worry about them fucking shit up.
Yep, I'd use it.

I just never feel comfortable when people are using my computer, even if I have nothing to hide.

jambo

Choc said:
also for those of you who want to watch history, its been annoucned the final space shuttle will re-enter the earths atmosphere at approximately 10:48pm AEST this evening.

might be live on ABC 24, but will be on nasa.gov
So that's 22:18 for me. Hopefully it will be on ABC24

Top Bottom