• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Unless you want stick figures, I'm going to have to leave this one to Gaz and Jintor.

How about retooling a 360 controller into the shape of Australia, with the guide button as the
upside-down
GAF logo.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
jambo said:
I'm pretty sure Evilore said no memes, a rule that I agree with.

Why can't you wear a bright shirt out? =\

I can wear a bright shirt, just not like something covered in crap.

I love finding rare games at the most unexpected times. Never played Mass Effect so I decided to go grab it today, meanwhile at EB I happened across Klonoa Wii. Awesome.

Omikron

Doing website design / coding work for friends/family is always a bad idea. Remind me why I offered to help my sister out again? Someone. Tell me.

Omi said:
Doing website design / coding work for friends/family is always a bad idea. Remind me why I offered to help my sister out again? Someone. Tell me.
I knew this guy (architect) who never did any architect services for friends or family, ever.

Best professional lesson I ever learned. I never do (OK, maybe a few rare exceptions) anything like that for anyone, even for money, as it turns sour far too often.

Omikron

Jintor said:
get the money first

Money? You expect family to PAY? :p

codswallop said:
I knew this guy (architect) who never did any architect services for friends or family, ever.

Best professional lesson I ever learned. I never do (OK, maybe a few rare exceptions) anything like that for anyone, even for money, as it turns sour far too often.

Pretty much, I have avoided it for everyone except this one time, knowing how it would turn out. :p More a statement of fact than a question I suppose.

Jintor said:
get the money first
It's not always about the money. It's about the calls after the fact that you'll keep getting because they think you're a schmuck who'll keep doing things over and over for you.

A great example is when you build a computer for someone. When you deliver it, it's perfectly setup and configured. A week later, they've installed Bonzi Buddy and are complaining it's slow. And apparently because you set it up, you should fix it. Free.

Dead Man

codswallop said:
It's not always about the money. It's about the calls after the fact that you'll keep getting because they think you're a schmuck who'll keep doing things over and over for you.

A great example is when you build a computer for someone. When you deliver it, it's perfectly setup and configured. A week later, they've installed Bonzi Buddy and are complaining it's slow. And apparently because you set it up, you should fix it. Free.
I used to have a small IT support business I ran, back in the 90's. After 6 months of that shit I folded it up, couldn't take it any more.

Omikron

Megadrive said:
Fucking hate this assumption. I'll do some computer-y shit every couple of years for my immediate family (mumdadsisters). But that's it.

Mmmm, tbh, the money thing I couldn't give a shit about. Its just the assumption that you will fix any issues in their time frame, as mentioned by codswallop.

giri

I managed to successfully avoid being the IT person for anyone in the family. My lil bro is that guy for the extended family. I find it hillarious that at any given time he has one of our cousins PC's at his place.

He doesn't find it so funny.

Clipper

Aussie importers of the US 3DS: what were the options that worked for the US proxy sites and stuff? I wasn't that interested in getting NetFlix going, but I do want to see some of the Nintendo Video content, especially with the announcement of the OK Go video. Which methods worked for the 3DS and how much do they cost?

codswallop said:

Yeah i will help my partner with some things but that's about as far as it goes. Thankfully my brother is better with all the IT stuff than me so he's usually the one fixing things for the family.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Clipper said:
Aussie importers of the US 3DS: what were the options that worked for the US proxy sites and stuff? I wasn't that interested in getting NetFlix going, but I do want to see some of the Nintendo Video content, especially with the announcement of the OK Go video. Which methods worked for the 3DS and how much do they cost?

http://unblock-us.com/ Might work, my US 3DS has been out with a reviewer so I haven't been able to test it yet.

.-.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Still no book from book depo and it's been 20 days since it shipped. I guess it's gotten lost in the mail, I'm not really going to try and track it down since it was only $10 or so.

I'm still going to hold out though, If i buy it locally i can almost guarantee the fucker will turn up the day after. Must hold onto hope!

AusQB

Omi said:
I was also naive and thought it would be a good opportunity to develop my portfolio before searching for some real jobs. However, I did not foresee the complete and utter mental agony I would have to endure. After I had finished my first, every other family member demanded one, passively threatening to blame the failure of their enterprises on me if I didn't come through. I had plenty of time, but I decided to devote that to working on my own projects and learning more.

I did do some real work, but they were still just friends of family, which made my endeavors seem quite juvenile. I wasn't even happy with the results.

The last job offer I received was earlier this year, but after a few email exchanges and phone calls in which the client seemed enthusiastic and devoted, I never heard from him again.

jambo

Him leaving won't fix the problem over night though, they'll need to go Blight style and cut a few players, make the hard decisions.

jambo said:
Yes but the KB+M is the superior Master Race input device of choice.
I never understood why keyboard and mouse was superior. I would've thought some sort of analogue stick (Wii nunchuck, holding a 360 controller with the left hand, etc) along with a mouse would be a lot better.

With keyboard, you only have one movement speed. Analogue allows much more freedom while the mouse would allow for twitch reflex.

Also, if you ever tried to competitively fly planes in Battlefield 2 with keyboard/mouse and were successful, I salute you. An exercise in frustration for me.

Dead Man

codswallop said:
I never understood why keyboard and mouse was superior. I would've thought some sort of analogue stick (Wii nunchuck, holding a 360 controller with the left hand, etc) along with a mouse would be a lot better.

With keyboard, you only have one movement speed. Analogue allows much more freedom while the mouse would allow for twitch reflex.

Also, if you ever tried to competitively fly planes in Battlefield 2 with keyboard/mouse and were successful, I salute you. An exercise in frustration for me.
I think it is the difficulty of controlling an analogue device with too many buttons on it. You would need something like a flight stick to use one handed, and then you don't have enough buttons. I think the ideal controller probably is mouse + something else other than keyboard, but the something else would look a lot like a keyboard.

jambo

The problem with an analogue stick is that all of the movements are tied to the one stick.

If I want to go from strafing left to strafing right on a keyboard, my finger is already resting directly on the D key, ready to go, whereas with an analogue stick I'd have to move the whole stick over from the left to the right.

And in shooters I don't care about being able to go different speeds, I want to be able to run as fast as possible as often as possible. I normally have "always run" switch on in FPS games or I use my pinky on the shift key for ones with limited sprint.

Omikron

codswallop said:

When I used to attend LANs in the late 90s / early 00s, there was a dedicated group of uber nerds that used a trackball + joystick combo for their FPS games and I kid you not, they were rather good.

jambo

Also, if you were using a nunchuck or 360 controller in your left hand it would have to take care of the jumping as well, unless you assigned that to right-click, but that wouldn't work in games with guns that have a secondary fire. You could tie it to a thumb button, but the left hand on the keyboard works so well, being able to control directional movement, jumping, crouching and sprinting.

EDIT: I suppose you could use the trigger and shoulder buttons for jumping and crouching. Need another one for sprint or some other combination.

Some pretty good reasons there. The jump button wouldn't be a problem but I could see the strafing being an issue depending on the stick.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone with more dedication (and skill!) actually try it for as long as it takes to get accustomed to it and see whether it's worth it. Just seems to be that there has to be something better than a device intended for typing (and it's not even very good for that).

Ooh, I love infographics... Me

MrSerrels

I'm on Triple J's Hack tonight, being overwhelmingly Scottish. Radio doesn't have stare capacity, but please take solace in the fact that I was staring straight into your very soul whilst talking. You just can't see it.

Oh, and it's about R18+ and Oslo!

I'm interested in seeing the how the census results compare to previous years. I have a hunch that religious affiliation will significantly change as of the 2011 census.

Clipper

VOOK said:
http://unblock-us.com/ Might work, my US 3DS has been out with a reviewer so I haven't been able to test it yet.

.-.
I just activated my trial period and gave it a go... No luck, though D:. It still tells me that the Nintendo Video service is not available in my location.

I used the Wii settings to get the DNS addresses to use. Is there some other settings I should be using?

Edit:Just realised what I was doing was silly because I'm currently connected to the Internet through my iPhone... I'll set the iPhone settings too and see what happens...
Edit 2: Realised that would mean changing my 3G settings, which I think are locked, and decided to go for my PC as the router instead, or just wait until I'm home...

Clipper

On the question of whether a US 3DS can connect to Nintendo Video through unblock-us, the answer would be a NO. I have verified that my 3DS is being seen as from the US by visiting netflix.com through the 3DS browser, yet the Nintendo Video app still tells me that video is not available in my location.

Nintendo is actually beating Netflix at Geo IP here :p. I did not expect that.

Top Bottom