• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Choc

Banned
also if you want to see how bad it is the Greens control the federal government now watch a replay of Q&A on iview

lara giddings, premier of tasmania (and labor) got absolutely ganged up on by Milne and that stupid twat from the old Gardening Australia show over logging

they want no trees logged in Tas. Well, way to destroy the tasmanian economy and jobs tools.

Giddings has come up with a plan by which they only log in a sustainable fashion, which is 1 bililon times better than what was going on before and the logging industry is on board with her idea ;\

greens won't be happy until we go home at night sit by candlelight, freeze to death and never turn on electricity or remove a tree again

i bet they think its better for a tree to fall on a house after a long time instead of cutting it down as well

Milne is the most annoying senator around right now, The shit she sprouts.

I agree Choc. Anyone trying to release an "iPad Killer" (press' favourite term, ugh) really needs to undercut it by $50-100 as well as not screw anything up.

I haven't seen anyone do that yet, and I've been waiting on one since I first heard about Android tablets.

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
I agree Choc. Anyone trying to release an "iPad Killer" (press' favourite term, ugh) really needs to undercut it by $50-100 as well as not screw anything up.

I haven't seen anyone do that yet, and I've been waiting on one since I first heard about Android tablets.

For mine to be competitive against the ipad 2 price wise its 399 and under

180 bucks isnt much in the overall scheme of things with tablets

Bernbaum

Agyar said:
I want to read Game of Thrones but I refuse to buy any more books until I read some of the ones I already have. I'm also holding off on watching the show because I haven't touched the books. Plus I want a Kindle and don't want to buy any more paper.

So many excuses.
Despite the political complexities, I found the first book an effortless read in much the same fashion as the Harry Potters or one of those rectangular bricks of mashed trees that have 'Dan Brown' plastered on the front.

Each ASOIAF could be bashed out in a single day. Boy I miss that - having whole days to burn where I could smash though a whole book or play a video game to completion.

Undercutting an iPad isn't enough. It has to be as good or better and cheaper to be worth anyone's time. I really don't like Apple's restrictive software policies, particularly with their iDevices, but damn if they don't make nice hardware.

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 isn't bad but has stupid proprietary connectors when every other Android device uses mini or micro USB. I can't imagine why no one can get this right.

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
Undercutting an iPad isn't enough. It has to be as good or better and cheaper to be worth anyone's time. I really don't like Apple's restrictive software policies, particularly with their iDevices, but damn if they don't make nice hardware.

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 isn't bad but has stupid proprietary connectors when every other Android device uses mini or micro USB. I can't imagine why no one can get this right.

and is $729

Choc said:
and is $729
Yeah, exactly. Fair enough I guess for the first round of Android tablets to be a bit more expensive, but we should be seeing cheaper devices either now or in the pipeline if any of these guys want to make a dent in Apple's dominance.

All I really want is an Android tablet in the shape and size of an iPad. Except widescreen with a slightly better resolution.

Gazunta

All I want is an iPad that supports pressure sensitivity, a stylus, and Photoshop.

Basically I want a battery powered Cintiq that has a Photoshop chip in it.

Also: A WILD AGYAR HAS APPEARED

rass

Gazunta said:
All I want is an iPad that supports pressure sensitivity, a stylus, and Photoshop.

Basically I want a battery powered Cintiq that has a Photoshop chip in it.

Also: A WILD AGYAR HAS APPEARED
I would kill for such a device.

what's with the tshirt talk? you've all gone torso covering crazy

Jintor

Finally scanned that art thingy!

tumblr_loxbpwxpVe1qgs4kho2_500.jpg

hamchan

Hey guys I finished A Dance With Dragons. Now I can either read the Wheel of Time series or just read ASOIAF over and over again while I wait for the Winds of Winter. What should I do?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Hey, so in a week or so i'll get my first proper pay check, and about an equal amount back from the ATO (I get paid monthly)

I have a few options
  • Buy a nice stereo / home theatre set (I'm talking around $800)
  • Buy a nice TV Stand + Poang Chair from Ikea (Major storage issues atm for little knicknacks so the tv stand would be helpful)
  • or buy a TV for about $800~

I listen to music a lot, so i'm leaning towards the stereo. But then Perhaps having the TV i will watch movies on that rather than my laptop which i've done for years? also I dont really have anywhere to sit bar my fouton bed, so the poang would be good for myself / guests, but I can always just buy some cheap deck chairs for a month?

hamchan said:
Hey guys I finished A Dance With Dragons. Now I can either read the Wheel of Time series or just read ASOIAF over and over again while I wait for the Winds of Winter. What should I do?

I couldn't recommend the Wheel of Time series to anyone. The pace from the 4th book onwards is mind-numbingly slow. Any series where the reader can safely skip every chapter from a certain perspective and not lose anything, is not well written.

Maybe try out the Mortal Engines Quartet. It's set in a future world where cities move around on giant tank treads, 'eating' other traction cities to survive. Obviously not as fantasy as ASoIAF or WoT but still enjoyable.

If it has to be fantasy, check out Joe Abocrombie's First Law Trilogy. I've read the trilogy and it was some great character-driven, self-aware fantasy. There are also two standalone novels in the same universe, but I'm not sure how they rate. I assume well.

rass

HolyCheck said:
Hey, so in a week or so i'll get my first proper pay check, and about an equal amount back from the ATO (I get paid monthly)

I have a few options
  • Buy a nice stereo / home theatre set (I'm talking around $800)
  • Buy a nice TV Stand + Poang Chair from Ikea (Major storage issues atm for little knicknacks so the tv stand would be helpful)
  • or buy a TV for about $800~

I listen to music a lot, so i'm leaning towards the stereo. But then Perhaps having the TV i will watch movies on that rather than my laptop which i've done for years? also I dont really have anywhere to sit bar my fouton bed, so the poang would be good for myself / guests, but I can always just buy some cheap deck chairs for a month?
In a week or so I'll get my last proper paycheck for a year or so :/

my advice: Save it, make a purchase next month instead. It's your first big paycheck, if you get into the habit of making a big purchase every time you're paid you'll never get ahead.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
rass said:
In a week or so I'll get my last proper paycheck for a year or so :/

my advice: Save it, make a purchase next month instead. It's your first big paycheck, if you get into the habit of making a big purchase every time you're paid you'll never get ahead.

I know but its more my apartment at the moment is me.. fridge.. laptop bed and some stools.. kinda need something lol :(

i've decided on a stereo.

then I guess it divides up into a few things, AMP and Speakers

I might take a touch of your advice even and just buy one of them (as they both seem to be around the 400$ mark, and save a bit early on :)

giri

Doncamatic said:
I couldn't recommend the Wheel of Time series to anyone. The pace from the 4th book onwards is mind-numbingly slow. Any series where the reader can safely skip every chapter from a certain perspective and not lose anything, is not well written.

Maybe try out the Mortal Engines Quartet. It's set in a future world where cities move around on giant tank treads, 'eating' other traction cities to survive. Obviously not as fantasy as ASoIAF or WoT but still enjoyable.

If it has to be fantasy, check out Joe Abocrombie's First Law Trilogy. I've read the trilogy and it was some great character-driven, self-aware fantasy. There are also two standalone novels in the same universe, but I'm not sure how they rate. I assume well.
What disastourasly bad advice. Read Wheel of Time. you will not regret it. The pace drops from books 6 - 8, but starts picking back up again, and by book 10 it's making headway similar to book 2. You can't skip entire chapters. It does slow down, there's no doubt about that, but it's entirely worth the slog. The best fantasy series ever written. The subtleties and tie ins and long range plots and twists in WoT are just incredible.

Omikron

rass said:
this was doing the rounds at work a couple of days ago,
the 24-105 (i think) copping a sledgehammer near the start makes me cringe every time

Is it a Canon Lens in amongst a mountain of Nikons for the lols perhaps? :p

legend166

Choc said:
also if you want to see how bad it is the Greens control the federal government now watch a replay of Q&A on iview

lara giddings, premier of tasmania (and labor) got absolutely ganged up on by Milne and that stupid twat from the old Gardening Australia show over logging

they want no trees logged in Tas. Well, way to destroy the tasmanian economy and jobs tools.

Giddings has come up with a plan by which they only log in a sustainable fashion, which is 1 bililon times better than what was going on before and the logging industry is on board with her idea ;\

greens won't be happy until we go home at night sit by candlelight, freeze to death and never turn on electricity or remove a tree again

i bet they think its better for a tree to fall on a house after a long time instead of cutting it down as well

Milne is the most annoying senator around right now, The shit she sprouts.

I don't understand why the Greens hate logging. And I say this as someone whose dad received death threats from Greenies for years because he was involved in the logging industry (I guess you can see where my loathing for the Greens comes from).

I mean, wood is the original renewable resource. You chop down some trees and plant some new ones and they grow again then you chop them down and so on and so forth. Loggers don't want all the trees to disappear because then they'll be out of a job.

Obviously there are wrong ways to go about it (mass clearing of forests in the Amazon isn't exactly what I'd call logging), but the Greens have never just said "Hey, we just want to make sure it's done right." They stick their fingers in their ears and say "lalalalalala no logging at all lalalalalalalala."

Bunch of morons.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
I don't understand why the Greens hate logging. And I say this as someone whose dad received death threats from Greenies for years because he was involved in the logging industry (I guess you can see where my loathing for the Greens comes from).

I mean, wood is the original renewable resource. You chop down some trees and plant some new ones and they grow again then you chop them down and so on and so forth. Loggers don't want all the trees to disappear because then they'll be out of a job.

Obviously there are wrong ways to go about it (mass clearing of forests in the Amazon isn't exactly what I'd call logging), but the Greens have never just said "Hey, we just want to make sure it's done right." They stick their fingers in their ears and say "lalalalalala no logging at all lalalalalalalala."

Bunch of morons.

the irony is that the greens print all their policies on huge wads of paper which come from, you guessed it, trees

and no they do not use recycled paper, straight out of a laser printer baby.

Choc

Banned
HolyCheck said:
I know but its more my apartment at the moment is me.. fridge.. laptop bed and some stools.. kinda need something lol :(

i've decided on a stereo.

then I guess it divides up into a few things, AMP and Speakers

I might take a touch of your advice even and just buy one of them (as they both seem to be around the 400$ mark, and save a bit early on :)

you need an oven :D

Gazunta

4 days until a self-imposed spending money on anything ban begins for a month. What should I get in the meantime? I'm thinking some iTunes cards and some XBLA games will do the trick.

Jintor - top work. Now ink that sucker!

Edit: I'm thinking of making a 'GAFfers who make comics thread' for people to give hard advice / tips to each other. Yes / no?

legend166

Actually, it wasn't just my dad who got death threats. People rang up our primary school threatening his kids (i.e. me), hahahahahaha.

Those greenies are all about the peace and love, you know.

jambo

Gazunta said:
4 days until a self-imposed spending money on anything ban begins for a month. What should I get in the meantime? I'm thinking some iTunes cards and some XBLA games will do the trick.

I'm doing something similar, no more online purchases this month. Unless an awesome, awesome shirt comes up on TeeFury, I should be ok.

Shaneus

Gazunta said:
But it's the Summer of XBLA or whatever! At least, partake in some XBLA summer awesomeness and buy Bastion (and maybe Trenched, but that's not a part of the "sale").

Omikron

legend166 said:
Actually, it wasn't just my dad who got death threats. People rang up our primary school threatening his kids (i.e. me), hahahahahaha.

Those greenies are all about the peace and love, you know.

Every group has their weirdo fringe elements, whats your point?

Choc

Banned
Norwegians have hit back at former Fox News presenter and Tea Party darling Glenn Beck, after he compared the country's shooting victims to the Hitler Youth in a radio show overnight.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/glenn-b...itler-youth-20110726-1hxwn.html#ixzz1TBu9aw3Q

In a monologue on the syndicated radio show The Glenn Beck Program, the conservative commentator said: "There was a shooting at a political camp, which sounds a little like, you know, the Hitler Youth or whatever. I mean, who does a camp for kids that's all about politics? Disturbing."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/glenn-b...itler-youth-20110726-1hxwn.html#ixzz1TBuM3vrv

legend166

Omi said:
Every group has their weirdo fringe elements, whats your point?

The Greens already are the the weirdo fringe element.

Seriously though, it was just something I remembered after choc's post that I found funny.

Omikron

legend166 said:
The Greens already are the the weirdo fringe element.

Seriously though, it was just something I remembered after choc's post that I found funny.

I think a lot of that depends on where you sit mind set / opinion wise. I agree a lot with their social and environmental policies.

Rahk

jambo said:
Dead Man, I saw you post in the f.lux thread, how's the app been going? This would be great at night for me, I always find forums and other white pages way to bright.
I've been using it for a few months. I don't notice it anymore unless I temporarily disable it. I never really got headaches or anything previously, but it is much easier on the eyes.

Rahk said:
I've been using it for a few months. I don't notice it anymore unless I temporarily disable it. I never really got headaches or anything previously, but it is much easier on the eyes.

Should be mentioned that last I used it, it didn't work on multi-monitor setups.

jambo

I've actually had my secondary monitor disabled a lot lately as both GTAIV and Metro 2033 have issues with minimising when your mouse wanders over to the other monitor.

Top Bottom