• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Marshmellow said:
Threw this together, thoughts? Wouldn't mind bringing price down a bit. somewhere 1500-2000 would be good.(trying to buy higher end so expecting this)
Included both monitors for opinions, not sure weather its worth investing in a 3D monitor.
Pretty sure it all works together.

Thanks
I wouldn't think 3D is worth it, would you really use it that much in all honesty? How about a month after you got it?
Oh, and I'm assuming you're going to be installing your OS on that 150Gb WD? Because I wouldn't recommend an OS install on a 2Tb drive, or anthing on a 2Tb drive other than media. They are noticeably slower that 1Tb drives, I don't care what other people say about the speed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
jambo said:
I know that -__-

I just meant why does he need such a powerful graphics card if he'll be running at 1920x1080. A GTX 570 does fine at that res, 580s are normally for 2560x1600 or multi monitor set ups.

Oh.

I dunno. epeen?

Clipper

VOOK said:
Clipper if you have a shot of the message or 'Ambassador' tag can you snap one for me and send my way? Would be doing a huge favour.
I assume this is the item in question, which appears in the News section of the eShop:
photo-44.jpg

Maybe drop down to a 600w PSU too. Grab a green 1 or 2 TB HDD for storage, I think my 2TB was $80?

Maybe look at the 570 Twin Frozr. Thats what I've got my eye on at the moment. Maybe think about the 2500k too, I get the feeling that it will last for ages like the Q6600. Might be a better upgrade than a top of the line GPU.

The ram that legend had would be perfect too. Check PCCG for deals on monitors too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The 2500K (and 2600K) have wonderful overclocking potential too, and OCing these days is quick and easy.

legend166

Marshmellow said:
hAULV.png

Threw this together, thoughts? Wouldn't mind bringing price down a bit. somewhere 1500-2000 would be good.(trying to buy higher end so expecting this)
Included both monitors for opinions, not sure weather its worth investing in a 3D monitor.
Pretty sure it all works together.

Thanks

Holy crap.

Just so you know, my machine cost $1250. You seem to be going a bit OTT here.

And yeah, get a 64GB SSD.

What store are you getting those prices from?

Clipper

commanderdeek said:
RandomVince said:
Clipper, is that from the Aussie store?
US store since most of us imported.

Haha clipper did a better job of it than me so just use that pic vook.
Yes, it's the US store. And I might make another pic after cleaning some of the grot off my 3DS :p.

jambo

Also getting a GTX 570 now and then a second GTX 570 down the line is a great way to boost your performance. SLI scaling is great these days, most games are 60-95%

EatChildren said:
The 2500K (and 2600K) have wonderful overclocking potential too, and OCing these days is quick and easy.
What would be a good and cheap way to keep the PC cool? Little worried about noise and heat down in my little mancave. I remember hearing about the 212+ but I'm not sure.

Can't wait to play around with the 2500k after having my Q6600 for so long.

EatChildren

I have the 212+. A pain to install, but a great cooler and pretty quiet. As long as air flow is good you can OC the i5/i7 line pretty high without too much of temperature increase. I've heard people getting quite high even on stock coolers.

I unfortunately ended up with a dud i5 that doesn't OC too far without needing a tremendous amount of extra juice from the PSU, which I'm not comfortable doing on air (and for the sake of the CPU's life).

jambo

I think I may have bumped the control switch for one of my case fans, cause it is so much louder after I put a 2TB HDD in on the weekend.

Shaneus

What might even be cheap and worthwhile is two HD5850 cards. Sussing out benches, they seem to perform slightly better at stock than a GTX580. Should be a hell of a lot cheaper, too. Only real problem is the Crossfire support/scaling varies considerably.

jambo

Shaneus said:
What might even be cheap and worthwhile is two HD5850 cards. Sussing out benches, they seem to perform slightly better at stock than a GTX580. Should be a hell of a lot cheaper, too. Only real problem is the Crossfire support/scaling varies considerably.

Two problems with that

1) 1GB of VRAM compared to 1.5GB

2) Upgrading in the future would mean having to buy a new card or cards and a new PSU, whereas buying a GTX 570 or 580 now with a 850-1000W PSU would mean he'd only have to buy another card to get a huge performance increase.

EatChildren

jambo said:
Two problems with that

1) 1GB of VRAM compared to 1.5GB

2) Upgrading in the future would mean having to buy a new card or cards and a new PSU, whereas buying a GTX 570 or 580 now with a 850-1000W PSU would mean he'd only have to buy another card to get a huge performance increase.

3) Temperamental crossfire isn't worth the hassle if the cost is far lower performance on a single card.

jambo

Yeah, not being an NVIDIA fanboy or anything, but Radeon driver support and CrossfireX scaling are pretty shit compared to GeForce.

Ok been pondering.

The prices are from Umart btw

Jambo - Im planning to go another 580 when i can in the future.

I need help with the socket 1155 motherboard. I really don't like the look of the ASrock ones but i cant seem to find any made by ASUS.

also tossing up between these 2.

23.6inch / 27inch

Thanks for advice so far, incredibly helpfull

Dell has a 27" for $600 at the moment. It'll do 2560x1440 or whatever the res is, and has 96% Adobe RGB gamut (110% NTSC coverage). Grey-to-grey response is 6ms, and I'm not sure what it's like with gaming but supposedly is quite good.

I'd buy one like that, if I had any money. Or really needed a bigger monitor.

Edit: Here it is. Down from $900 and has a 3-year replacement warranty.

AusQB

Marshmellow said:
I need help with the socket 1155 motherboard. I really don't like the look of the ASrock ones but i cant seem to find any made by ASUS.
I would suggest going with Gigabyte. I got myself a P67A-UD4-B3 and it's great. It still uses an old school BIOS style utility for tweaking, but it's simple once you know what you're doing.

You could probably go for a UD5 or even UD6, but just bear in mind all the variations and features. Don't pay money for what you won't use.

Shaneus

jambo said:
Yeah, not being an NVIDIA fanboy or anything, but Radeon driver support and CrossfireX scaling are pretty shit compared to GeForce.
Is SLI generally better than Crossfire for scaling? If that's the case, I'd gladly ditch what I have now for a 580, provided I could get the same price.

Edit: No fucking way I'm getting ~$500 for two 5850s.

Ok so just found out browsing the net that ASrock = ASUS, heh

here is 2nd take based on your suggestions. i think i will get that 27" ASUS from PCCG

Not a fan of gigabyte so ill avoid a motherboard from them.

xxPND.png

AusQB

Marshmellow said:
Not technically true. ASUS is the parent company of ASRock, which manufactures cheap, less powerful products.

If you want a decent motherboard either get ASUS or Gigabyte.

AusQB said:
Not technically true. ASUS is the parent company of ASRock, which manufactures cheap, less powerful products.

If you want a decent motherboard either get ASUS or Gigabyte.

Oh good to know, hows about this then

Asus P8P67V3 P67

EatChildren

That is the MBO I have, and it is fine.

Rahk

Marshmellow said:

here is 2nd take based on your suggestions. i think i will get that 27" ASUS from PCCG

Not a fan of gigabyte so ill avoid a motherboard from them.

xxPND.png
Maybe swap that SSD with the Crucial M4. Not sure how much more expensive it is, but it's faster and uses SATA6.

3D is pretty good for some games, but there are ghosting issues and it tends to hurt your eyes after a while. The 3D kit is pretty expensive if it doesn't come with the monitor.

120hz is pretty good for games though. Everything feels much more fluid. Going back to 60hz on my work computer the cursor feels a bit slow.

Maybe look at the new Samsung 120hz LED models. There's a 27", but it uses it's own 3D tech so the nVidia kit probably won't work with it and looks like it might not be as good. It's also quite a bit more expensive than your other options.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1210&products_id=17888

Top Bottom