• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It's nothing Nintendo related, well maybe it is. Just pissed off with a few things on my site and have no time for anything. Can't even do it at work. Fucks sake.

Someone asked me when I was going to be home so they could buy something I put up on Gumtree or when I would be free. I said 2012. Maybe.

Only so much one man can do.

jambo said:
Sega releasing a new console, Nintendo going third party.
Microsoft taking win8 open source and donating a million dollars to linux.

Nintendo raising the price of the 3ds so as to be nice to Sony over the Vita delay.

EA dropping Origin and putting up all there classics for sale on Steam et al.

Lucasarts selling all their adventure game ip to me.

Bernbaum

VOOK said:
It's nothing Nintendo related, well maybe it is. Just pissed off with a few things on my site and have no time for anything. Can't even do it at work. Fucks sake.

Someone asked me when I was going to be home so they could buy something I put up on Gumtree or when I would be free. I said 2012. Maybe.

Only so much one man can do.
If it makes you feel better, I'm still at work, not playing Ace Combat 6 or watching season 3 of Friday Night Lights like I thought I would be right now.

Agyar

codswallop said:
Dell has a 27" for $600 at the moment. It'll do 2560x1440 or whatever the res is, and has 96% Adobe RGB gamut (110% NTSC coverage). Grey-to-grey response is 6ms, and I'm not sure what it's like with gaming but supposedly is quite good.

I'd buy one like that, if I had any money. Or really needed a bigger monitor.

Edit: Here it is. Down from $900 and has a 3-year replacement warranty.
Damn, I've been waiting for a price like that for that monitor. Now is the best time to be buying something like that but I'm very tempted to do it anyway.

So I updated the video card drivers on my Dad's laptop (Geforce GT230M) and now the display doesn't work haaaalp

Bernbaum said:
If it makes you feel better, I'm still at work, not playing Ace Combat 6 or watching season 3 of Friday Night Lights like I thought I would be right now.

Texas Forever

AusQB

roosters93 said:
So I updated the video card drivers on my Dad's laptop (Geforce GT230M) and now the display doesn't work haaaalp
Try fully uninstalling the drivers, restart the computer and then install the latest drivers. Sometimes installing new drivers over old ones doesn't properly overwrite key files.

AusQB said:
Try fully uninstalling the drivers, restart the computer and then install the latest drivers. Sometimes installing new drivers over old ones doesn't properly overwrite key files.

I'm in the middle of just reinstalling the new ones again and it has an option for a clean installation which seemed to remove the old ones.

trinest

For me Nintendo going third party if they ever do- if played to their advantages could be a good move for them. They could go exlusively PC and do a Steam style service, as well as making their own PC controllers etc.

Clipper

markot said:
So Cave Story isnt on the aussie dsi store?
At least the retail Cave Story 3D release on the 3DS will be close to the US one for you guys... unless you only have a DSi... The existence of that is the only reason I haven't bought the DSi version for my 3DS yet.

trinest said:
For me Nintendo going third party if they ever do- if played to their advantages could be a good move for them. They could go exlusively PC and do a Steam style service, as well as making their own PC controllers etc.
I think they'd rather commit seppuku than go third party. Seriously.

Clipper said:
At least the retail Cave Story 3D release on the 3DS will be close to the US one for you guys... unless you only have a DSi... The existence of that is the only reason I haven't bought the DSi version for my 3DS yet.
I was going to hold out for the 3DS version, but I couldn't hold myself and had to get it. Still going to get the 3DS version when that comes out, just needed some really good old school 2d side scrolling platforming fun on my 3DS.

Shaneus

I feel guilty for not getting dB2 now :(

Good luck to the guys from there on this end, too. The games industry in Australia be a harsh mistress, it seems.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Box of Bunnies said:

Another AusGAF missquote. Geez guys. Megadrive obviously said maggotry, and not a similar sounding word that also doubles as a derogatory homosexual slur.

The denzines of AusGAF would never post such things, because if they did I'd have to ban them, and that would be a right shame.

bodyboarder said:
haha.

Don't forget, the gruen transfer is on tonight.
Oh snap, thanks for reminding me.

Also when did every start up with all the potty mouth? Need some fucking old english ladies to come in and clean things up.

Gawd, so few Australian development houses left, let alone anything big.

Sunset.jpg

Shaneus

elektrixx said:
Australia can't handle a big studio. Developers should stop pretending it can.
Theoretically, with the internets etc. it should be less of an issue than it ever has before. In reality, it seems to be much different.

Unfortunately the industry's moving towards only the AAA guys and the casual market. The middle tier is shrinking and there's less tolerance for failure from publishers and less tolerance for anything less than perfection from consumers than ever before.

Same thing happened in the film industry, but earlier.

What we need is a revolution like with TV (The Sopranos, LOST, etc). Steam and XBL Arcade are sort of filling that need, but not quite.

EatChildren said:
Another AusGAF missquote. Geez guys.

Sorry. I'll be more careful when paring down quotes from now on ;)

bodyboarder said:
Don't forget, the gruen transfer is on tonight.

Yep. Great show, shame it doesn't have a better host.

Watching a bit of Your Gen this evening reminded me I should've mentioned Kate Miller-Heidke the other night.

KateMillerHeidkemiller.jpg

EatChildren said:
Another AusGAF missquote. Geez guys. Megadrive obviously said maggotry, and not a similar sounding word that also doubles as a derogatory homosexual slur.

The denzines of AusGAF would never post such things, because if they did I'd have to ban them, and that would be a right shame.

I will remember this in future, in case people misquote me once more.

thx4notbanningme

Heard about THQ Brisbane. That sucks. I work not a five minute walk from their offices in Spring Hill and my better half works across the road from them.

Problem with the games industry is that it's just hugely expensive to make anything you can sell, costs of failure are astronomical and there's not a lot of maturity to the dev process (industry best practices are still being invented / fine-tuned and making a good game is a different beast to, say, making a good asset tracking system). Doesn't help that the Aussie dollar is so high either.

Distribution channels and the size of the market are also big issues. Console games are more expensive than they need to be for mass market penetration because retailers get too big a slice of the pie, but paying more than a pittance for games is still an alien concept for everyone but 18-35 year old males.

Bah.

Don't even get me started on the countless opportunities Nintendo squandered with the Wii. They had a chance to help to fix it all. They expanded the market and then did everything they could to lose it. For years, I thought they had a plan - attract the non-gamers, graduate them up the ranks until they were just as big in terms if spending as the faithful and create a self-sustaining market segment out of that.

Nope. Turned out they had one big idea and just went back to doing what they always had.

They should have massively expanded via acquisition at the outset and just had their new studios churning out one traditional title after another to 1) fill out the schedule and 2) keep their traditional big-spending customers spending and 3) leave their top-tier teams free to work on the next big thing.

They should have invested in a proper online system or at least partnered with someone who knew what they were doing and done everything they could to fix the impediments to purchases that arose in the first six months of the console's life (fridge cleaning, piss-poor online shop implementation - a web page, really?).

I could fill a book with the list of things they should have done. They certainly had the cash to do it and it would have given them the manpower to have made the PS2 look like an amateur effort, third parties be damned.

Sorry about the rant.

That it took them all of five years to even partly address these issues

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thats Nintendo in a nut shell. Good ideas and philosophy diluted by incompetence and short sightedness. I have no doubt in my mind that their deliberate avoidance of a high tier online and digital service will near kill them in the long run, if they fail to adapt.

Same goes for nearly every company in every industry. The future is networking. Adapt or perish.

The rant about the wii is correct. It went from being the cool thing to derided as a fad by most noncore gamers I know. Even the ds revisions left them pretty cold towards Nintendo. Since they are basically giving the Wii away at the current price they really could have brought about a huge change in the market size but alas their effort was poor and people are more willing to play iphone games right now.

It's because they're miserly and are reluctant to spend any cash on something that can't be immediately monetised. Nintendo are immensely rich, but the number of employees they have is ridiculously small for a company that has the reach it does.

Penny-wise and pound-foolish they are.

Dead Man

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Heard about THQ Brisbane. That sucks. I work not a five minute walk from their offices in Spring Hill and my better half works across the road from them.

Problem with the games industry is that it's just hugely expensive to make anything you can sell, costs of failure are astronomical and there's not a lot of maturity to the dev process (industry best practices are still being invented / fine-tuned and making a good game is a different beast to, say, making a good asset tracking system). Doesn't help that the Aussie dollar is so high either.

Distribution channels and the size of the market are also big issues. Console games are more expensive than they need to be for mass market penetration because retailers get too big a slice of the pie, but paying more than a pittance for games is still an alien concept for everyone but 18-35 year old males.

Bah.

Don't even get me started on the countless opportunities Nintendo squandered with the Wii. They had a chance to help to fix it all. They expanded the market and then did everything they could to lose it. For years, I thought they had a plan - attract the non-gamers, graduate them up the ranks until they were just as big in terms if spending as the faithful and create a self-sustaining market segment out of that.

Nope. Turned out they had one big idea and just went back to doing what they always had.

They should have massively expanded via acquisition at the outset and just had their new studios churning out one traditional title after another to 1) fill out the schedule and 2) keep their traditional big-spending customers spending and 3) leave their top-tier teams free to work on the next big thing.

They should have invested in a proper online system or at least partnered with someone who knew what they were doing and done everything they could to fix the impediments to purchases that arose in the first six months of the console's life (fridge cleaning, piss-poor online shop implementation - a web page, really?).

I could fill a book with the list of things they should have done. They certainly had the cash to do it and it would have given them the manpower to have made the PS2 look like an amateur effort, third parties be damned.

Sorry about the rant.

That it took them all of five years to even partly address these issues
I wish you ran Nintendo. :(

Top Bottom