• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Witchfinder General said:
Whelp, my back-up drive is full. I knew I was going to have to buy a a NAS drive soon (I'm transferring all of my CDs to my Mac, 400 albums in I've only gotten up to "E") but I didn't think it would clog up so quickly.

So, I need some advice: Which 1 terabyte NAS drive should I buy? And is a NAS drive what I should be buying if I just want to cram my music library on to it so myself and my missus can access it? Also, should I buy a back-up drive to back-up the NAS drive?

I'm not good with computers.

mactalk.com.au. ask there. they will give you the best advice.

There's something something NAS drive has to show up on your network before you something something boot up iTunes something something.

I never really got this to work when I tried a few years ago and stuck with an external USB drive.

jambo

I always have 3 GAF windows open, one for Gaming, one for OT and one for AusGAF with the Live Thread plugin for Chrome.

legend166 said:
Also, Trackmania 2 not being on Steam makes me a sad panda.

I don't actually mind, Nadeo have always been great to customers so I don't have any qualms about the ManiaPlanet platform.

evlcookie said:
My belt just snapped, the little metal thing that goes into the holes, just snapped off!

I guess I have to hold my pants up while I walk home or something. Shiiiiiiit

I don't think there's any shops around here I can buy a belt from, really screwed. Hope I have my old belt at home or I'm super screwed.

Hahaha!

And are your pants really that loose?

MrSerrels

RE: The snapped belt, I have a way worse story...

When I taught English in Japan I used to teach kids classes. One day I was messing around, playing soccer in the classroom and I bent over to pick up the ball. My trousers ripped from my testicles all the way up to my arse.

The truly fucked up thing was that I hadn't put on underwear that day - and I still had four hours of teaching left to go.

I managed to finish up the lesson, pushing my ass up against the wall for 20 minutes, and somehow managed to climb up two flights of stairs holding my pants together. I went into the cupboard with a stapler and started trying to staple the arse section of my pants together. I got to the stage where I thought I had it fixed.

I walked out to my next class and as soon as I sat down. Rip.

Also I had staples jagging into my arse cheeks.

Between the next class I tried sticky tape. Same result. As soon as I sat down my pants ripped open again. Eventually, in the next break, I managed - via a deft combination of staples and sticky tape - to rig up the concoction that would stop my testicle falling out of my trousers.

The truly screwed up thing was - I had to cycle home.

Omikron

hahaha..... awful situation serrels, amusing for us however. ;)

(Laughing in the office with headphones on, always dangerous as you are not quite sure what volume level you are reaching)

Gazunta

I'm on it :p

The funniest thing about the whole story is the concept of Serrells teaching English.

Can you just imagine all those Japanese kids with that accent? :)

MrSerrels said:
My God Serrels, I'm cackling like an idiot here. Might be time to go home.

MrSerrels said:
When I taught English in Japan I used to teach kids classes.
Also, are there now dozens of Japanese kids speaking English in Scottish accents?

Shite, beaten.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Serrels wins this round!

The op shop next door was closed but sticky tape is working, hopefully it holds for the next 2hrs which includes some speed walking.

Shaneus

groundskeeper_willie.gif

I'm so sorry :(

Rezbit

WHAT A STORY SERRELS!

Also, I want a prequel to the Wahlberg Planet of the Apes...imagine how shit but funny the Aperaham Lincoln arc could have been.

Deeku

evlcookie said:
Serrels wins this round!

The op shop next door was closed but sticky tape is working, hopefully it holds for the next 2hrs which includes some speed walking.
Sticky tape??

Just get a fold back clip thing and clip the side (or both sides) of your pants.

I've done this before lol

Edit:

Oh wait I guess you mean you taped your belt together, that would work as well. For some reason I thought you taped your pants to your waist or something.

That sounds like a scene from Anime/manga/Japanese game with all the embarrassed grunting sounds every second

edit: could also explain the ABC interview stare

I HAVE PROPER INTERNETS!!!!!! THANK THE LORD!!!!!

Now does anyone have any tips to get ADSL2 up and running better? I basically copy pasted the login details my ISP gave me into the router and hey presto it works.

MrSerrels said:

When I taught English in Japan I used to teach kids classes. One day I was messing around, playing soccer in the classroom and I bent over to pick up the ball. My trousers ripped from my testicles all the way up to my arse.

The truly fucked up thing was that I hadn't put on underwear that day - and I still had four hours of teaching left to go.
I hope there is a funny story to go along with this too!

You should have just let them hang loose like the boss that you are, Serrels. Those kids will have seen enough wang on their trips to onsens with their dads that they wouldn't've been the least bit traumatised by the sight of your gaijin-nuts.

Clipper

Rezbit said:
WHAT A STORY SERRELS!

Also, I want a prequel to the Wahlberg Planet of the Apes...imagine how shit but funny the Aperaham Lincoln arc could have been.
Wait, Rise of the Planet of the Apes isn't a prequel to the Burton movie?

Also, this doesn't beat Serrels story, but last time I went to the Easter Show, I ripped the whole front of my shorts directly beside the entire fly to the base getting into a ride and didn't notice until half an hour later when I felt a breeze when watching the woodchopping...

Thankfully I was wearing underwear and a friend had a coat that I tied round my waist until we got to the showbag pavillion and then I just held a big showbag in front of me for the rest of the day. We actually went to the golf driving range afterwards and I played minigolf like that too :p.

jambo said:
Line filters are for any landline phones you have in your house.
The house I moved into has 2 phone port things. One in the entranceway and one in the back bedroom which I am using for a study. Both should run adsl the same right?
I've got the phone hooked up at the front of the house and the modem out the back here.

1427567085.png

Getting better. Had the filter on the modem >_<
Still room to improve though. Less than a kilometre from the exchange it certainly isn't adsl2+ speeds yet.

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
1427567085.png

Still room to improve though. Less than a kilometre from the exchange it certainly isn't adsl2+ speeds yet.
try the other rooms phone line. one could be a dodgy install. also keep the cable from wall to modem as short as possible.

AusQB

reptilescorpio said:
1427567085.png

I get a third of that downstream and I'm on a Telstra Cable plan which offers up to 30Mbps. Only people in select suburbs of Melbourne and Sydney get those kinds of speeds.

jambo

Found this in the Pics that make you laugh thread

ssLI8.jpg

:lol

reptilescorpio said:

:lol

reptilescorpio said:

12 Mbit is still pretty damn good.

Omi said:
try the other rooms phone line. one could be a dodgy install. also keep the cable from wall to modem as short as possible.
Ah thanks for that, I switched out the phone line for a smaller one just long enough to sit the router up enough for the WAN.

AusQB said:
I get a third of that downstream and I'm on a Telstra Cable plan which offers up to 30Mbps. Only people in select suburbs of Melbourne and Sydney get those kinds of speeds.
I was lucky to be on Cable in Geelong for so long. Fantastic service down there, highly recommend NCable to all. Aside from the $380 disconnection fee they tried to sting me with for leaving half way into a 2 year contract (got it down to $200).

My... special... downloading program says it is up around 1.5-1.6mbps which is great enough for now. The real test will be once I get the consoles online and see the upload speeds.

Aon said:
"The points are awarded automatically when we have received payment for your order and are available to use 60 days after we have despatched your item."

$9.99 (so, $10) = 250 points... so $40 for 1,000 points.
Cash in 5,000 points = $5 voucher.
Cash in 45,000 points = $50 voucher, which is a $5 bonus.

...So, to get a $5 bonus, just spend $1,800.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Trackmania 2 solo mode is online only. I'm torn on that one, I will have to wait and see what it offers first before i go and spend $25 on what is essentially the first pack for trackmania 2.

I probably wouldn't have a major issue with online only if it was useful to me as a gamer, At the moment it's just a fucking annoyance.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
reptilescorpio said:
1427567085.png

I envy you greatly.

500m from the exchange.. speeds = 0!

still no news on when i'll have it ever.. hence my lack of posting in here recently or being on steam chat :(

jambo

evlcookie said:
Trackmania 2 solo mode is online only. I'm torn on that one, I will have to wait and see what it offers first before i go and spend $25 on what is essentially the first pack for trackmania 2.

I probably wouldn't have a major issue with online only if it was useful to me as a gamer, At the moment it's just a fucking annoyance.
Sounds like LAN play, the editor and a few other things don't need a connection so maybe Solo will follow suit eventually.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
jambo said:
Sounds like LAN play, the editor and a few other things don't need a connection so maybe Solo will follow suit eventually.

I think someone mentioned in the gaf thread that you need to be online so you can earn their space bucks while playing.

Little guy had his first taste of daycare today. 10 months old and had not been away from both of us much. They go to the Uniting church who do a day care but it is only for 3 hour blocks of time for now. Picked him up at 4:15pm after work and all the old people were gabbing on about how cute he is and how he has a beautiful smile and how he never grizzled once. When I grabbed him he was blabbing at the other kids as if he was saying bye. Seemed the happiest tonight that he has been for ages, just enjoyed being around some other kids. Plus the missus got 3 hours to herself to organise the house a bit which will lead to less nagging! Win win. Only $20 for the 3 hours too.

I can't possibly explain how nice it feels to have internet again. Almost as good as the moment my son was born or the entire first play of CMI.

Rezbit said:
Oh snap! First reply always wins! You are a top bloke Vook. If you were on Steam I would gift you a game.

Top Bottom