• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

midonnay

Aon said:
EB Game's Australian arm have the best hold music of any company I've called so far. Such a fat beat. Shame the assholes "don't engage with the mainstream media".

I don't mind waiting music.....

what really pisses me off is bastards that have waiting music and then every few minutes have a talking message in between.

with just music, at least I can zone out and do something else and when I hear talking I know the end is finally nigh.

but these fuckers with their talking advertisements really mess with my head >_<

ps: how did people live before dual monitor support? so hard to bear with just one screen now.

Jintor

midonnay said:
I don't mind waiting music.....

what really pisses me off is bastards that have waiting music and then every few minutes have a talking message in between.

with just music, at least I can zone out and do something else and when I hear talking I know the end is finally nigh.

but these fuckers with their talking advertisements really mess with my head >_<

FUCKIN' TPG

Jintor

Aon said:
Trying to get some retailer to talk to me about the potential sales impacts of the R18 thing for some uni piece. I've contacted some of the smaller retailers, the iGEA on Serrels' recommendation, EA just cos they talk more than any other Australian pub and finally Serrels has said he'll give me a Pachter interview if nothing else seems to go to plan.
Will it all work out? Who knows!

Got any ideas for extra people I should try to get on the horn? :D

EDIT: The version of MGS3 is subsistence, which has the more modern camera controls. I've still yet to play Subsistence, so I'm really excited for the re-release. Played through normal MGS3 at least 6 times now xD

Might be able to get you a Game contact... no promises though, and I won't be going in to the office for a few days... and it'll probably be more likely to be a Game PR company contact and in all liklihood it won't go anywhere :p

Rahk

So apparently I have to wait till tomorrow for the paperwork to go through to get my Ps. The instructor said I can do it on the day my Ls expire (tomorrow). He better not have lied! Guess I'll have to take an extended lunch break tomorrow and do it then.

I had to hire a bike because mine didn't have a chain guard or a rear mud guard that covered the whole top of the wheel, even though that was how I bought it approved by RTA. $150 for the bike! That's like $314 all up including the course fee. And I'm sure RTA will charge me another $50 or so to get the actual license. Lucky he passed me or I'd be pissed.

Jintor said:
Might be able to get you a Game contact... no promises though, and I won't be going in to the office for a few days... and it'll probably be more likely to be a Game PR company contact and in all liklihood it won't go anywhere :p
Jintor is an up and coming games journalist, interview him!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow. Ordered Catherine from Play-Asia on Friday and it was here today. Crazy.

jambo

Rez said:
Oh wow. Ordered Catherine from Play-Asia on Friday and it was here today. Crazy.

Holy shit that's fast.

My last order from Amazon.co.uk took a little over two weeks, pretty damn good compared to some US shipping times.

Choc

Banned
Jintor said:
Goose and Benett are slagging away! Good times.

It's not really an arguement though, more of a discussion right now.

both have ulterior motives and conflict of interests in that argument lol

one needs mags to keep his job, one is online trying to kill mags

end of story

edit: looking at it now LOL

edit2: LOL LOL

@bennettring Did you want to be paid for that article in the next issue of PCPP?

Also, wat Jambo? Gamespy? you mean IGN right?

Choc

Banned
Jintor said:
Goose could easily find a decent online gig. I think he just likes mags.

as murdoch himself said there is something to be said for being able to physically touch something you produce, and that is the allure and prestige of the paper magazine

i completely agree

aside from market conditions, if i was offered online or mag and they were both equal par in circulation or coverage etc, i would take the mag any day of the work.

Jintor

There's a certain prestige you get from it, too... though I think to be truly effective you really need to be on the ball with online stuff, which Next hasn't gotten around to doing just yet because of [Snip! - Ed]

/edit I like that Randolph is staying aloof, lol

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I really hope I haven't pissed Goose off Jintor. I like gaming magazines, I'm just not in love with Game Informer.

Choc

Banned
VOOK said:
I really hope I haven't pissed Goose off Jintor. I like gaming magazines, I'm just not in love with Game Informer.

game informer is not a fucking magazine. its a fucking subsidised PR blast with ridiculous amounts of access and never criticises anything.

The fact its subsidised in both the US and AU by a game shop company makes anything it says invalid.

Gazunta

I have all the mags / books I've been in on a shelf, right next to all the games I've helped make...

...except for all the digital stuff I've made in the last 15 years :(

Good god does two years worth of TV Week take up a lot of room.

jambo

I've started reading again lately and I find that after I put down my novel or comic book, I'll feel like reading something else instead of just jumping back on to the PC.

So far things like Penny Arcade and Calvin and Hobbes have sufficed, but last week I picked up a copy of PCPP so that I could have something gaming to thumb through without having to be on the PC.

Might even get a sub again, first time in years!

Choc

Banned
the online world has changed print journalism for the worse, and not because of the fact its killing print journalism, but for various other factors. It's even killing tv journalism

look at the amount of fucking news stories on the mainstream channels which come out of twitter now

and the amount of misreporting going on because everyone has to be first is beyond crazy. No one checks sources anymore, we are going to very soon have a time where there is a massive news break or flash based on a rumor or something false on twitter and the tv networks will be exposed for what they are now, a bunch of fucking hacks not checking any sources or doing any research

Its even worse with online sites.

I mean look at the news of the world situation.

Goose could have flawless victory by reminding bennet fo the fact he works for News international, teh largest printer of print newspapers on the globe......

Print subsidises online in the murdoch world.....

Eh. Picked up a few PCPP issues lately and been really really disapointed. Remember loving it as a kid but most of the writing seems lackluster to me. I even prefer GI if just for the higher production values, art and cheap price.

Would prefer Goose to run a RPS style site for Australia.

Choc

Banned
someone so needs to tweet to @bennettring maybe if you stopped sitting on twitter all day starting flamewars for no reason IGN would be somewhat close to print in quality.

*cue jambo burnsauce image*

Jintor

The main problem that I have with print is that it's difficult to judge how people are responding to what we put out. A very, very, very small number bother to give feedback via forums or through e-mail/actual mail, as compared to the message-culture of a site; I remember back when I was writing a shitty-ass blog-site for a dollar-a-post blog network out of the UK, you at least got near-instant feedback on most everything you did - either in unique views/hits or in comments. I'm glad Serrels wrote this. I'd love to see a roundtable on it. Of course, the problem is that probably the only people who care are the game journalists...

Omikron

Jintor said:
The main problem that I have with print is that it's difficult to judge how people are responding to what we put out. A very, very, very small number bother to give feedback via forums or through e-mail/actual mail, as compared to the message-culture of a site; I remember back when I was writing a shitty-ass blog-site for a dollar-a-post blog network out of the UK, you at least got near-instant feedback on most everything you did - either in unique views/hits or in comments. I'm glad Serrels wrote this. I'd love to see a roundtable on it. Of course, the problem is that probably the only people who care are the game journalists...

Isn't that really kinda the point of why people love the online, instant gratification of the digital age?

Jintor

Sure, but I can't eat instant gratification. [Gotta find out what these online sites are paying...]

Anyway, in other news, my most recent email received's subject heading:
FW: Diablo III Beta - Battle.net Login Request

Kritz

Banned
Welp, my body had a turn for the worse at about 9am. I've been awake for a total of... two hours today. First time I've had a cold in nearly a decade. Even with 4-5 blankets over me I have only just stopped violently shivering.

I don't think I enjoy being sick. Especially when I have actual things to learn at Uni.

hamchan

Gameinformer > Hyper in quality, sad but true.

^^^Uni is that place I go to feel bored and post on GAF during class. Like right now!

midonnay

commanderdeek said:
Does uni pride even exist?

I guess a Group of 8 uni is equivalent to Ivy league in america..... but only GO8 ppl and maybe some employers care.

a degree is basically a foot in a door nowadays anyways unless you're a doctor or engineer

Udub :)

Gazunta

This is the greatest video game magazine and any other answer is wrong.

071003_zzap64.jpg

elektrixx

Banned
So I want to leave my job. For those here who also work for IBM and other IT companies, would you consider it a big mistake to accept a role at JB Hi-Fi?

jambo

Choc said:
someone so needs to tweet to @bennettring maybe if you stopped sitting on twitter all day starting flamewars for no reason IGN would be somewhat close to print in quality.

Z1B83.gif

And that's crazy talk Choc, first IGN would have to go from utter shit to passable before it could even think about going anywhere near print quality.

rRWhQ.jpg

MrSerrels

Jintor said:

I was thinking the same thing, but then I thought, it may just end up being self-indulgent wank.

It might work as a feature, rather than just people ranting at each other.

midonnay

I miss those EGM editions that were the size of books.... yeah, full of ads and redundant information but great for browsing in the toliet :)

Top Bottom