• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Bernbaum

Sutton Dagger said:
So the 2012 Global Atheist convention in Melbourne next year looks like it's going to be a big one, Dawkins/Dennet/Harris/Hitchens are all scheduled to attend. I'm thinking I might try and fly there and go, I have always wanted to hear Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens in particular give a lecture.
I'm an atheist and I hate strongly dislike this kind of crap.

Sutton Dagger said:
So the 2012 Global Atheist convention in Melbourne next year looks like it's going to be a big one, Dawkins/Dennet/Harris/Hitchens are all scheduled to attend. I'm thinking I might try and fly there and go, I have always wanted to hear Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens in particular give a lecture.
Will attend. Most of those guys are arrogant pretentious assholes but they are incredibly amaxing public speakers. Everyone hates them and they make athiests look like cunts. Super intelligent cunts though. I am a very relaxed athiest and enjoy facets of religion so I dont like their tone but I also get a shiver of delight run up my neck listening to them. Wish they could focus on more tangible problems though. Religion will never die while we live in a cruel world.

Also millions of people live on low income so if you arent saddled with a family or mortage than go for your dream job. Or ay least one that will make you smile more often. Too many unhappy assholes in high power jobs already. Need some more people focused rulers in this growth driven world econony. Fuck profits, make love!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Bernbaum said:

word. Why do we need to push our agenda and argue against those who do theirs?

i think the point is we should just not give a crap.

reptilescorpio said:
Will attend. Most of those guys are arrogant pretentious assholes but they are incredibly amaxing public speakers. Everyone hates them and they make athiests look like cunts. Super intelligent cunts though. I am a very relaxed athiest and enjoy facets of religion so I dont like their tone but I also get a shiver of delight run up my neck listening to them. Wish they could focus on more tangible problems though. Religion will never die while we live in a cruel world.

Also millions of people live on low income so if you arent saddled with a family or mortage than go for your dream job. Or ay least one that will make you smile more often. Too many unhappy assholes in high power jobs already. Need some more people focused rulers in this growth driven world econony. Fuck profits, make love!

I think Sam Harris in particular is a fantastic communicator, and with his basis in neurology, I like his take on morality.

@ Bernbaum it isn't a matter of simply stating the Atheist position (in relation to God) at this event that I'm interested in, it's the talks by the likes of Harris and I think Krausse (I think he's coming) that I'm interested in, it's about the science, not belief for me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Every morning. Every fucking morning. Of the last two years. My housemate has coughed and spluttered her lungs out when she has woken up for her morning shower. Every fucking morning of two years.

Yet she still insists she doesn't have anything wrong with her lungs.

Fucking moron.

EatChildren said:
Every morning. Every fucking morning. Of the last two years. My housemate has coughed and spluttered her lungs out when she has woken up for her morning shower. Every fucking morning of two years.

Fucking moron.

Does she smoke?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sutton Dagger said:
Does she smoke?

Nope. She was born premature, so her lungs haven't developed to the exact same size as others. It is quite likely she has a low grade chest infection. Nothing overly serious, but something there.

Its just fucking stupid that there is clearly something wrong with her lungs and she blantatly refuses to get it checked because "lol nah its fine". Two fucking years, the entire time I've known her.

Choc

Banned
So today is the day we learn how an irishman (Alan Joyce) destroyed Qantas

its the big announcement of the international overhaul aka probably the following

-QF planes only to London Heathrow, Singapore and Dallas Fort Worth

Anywhere else with Qantas? Fly Jetstar. Rumor has it Jetstar will also fly to Heathrow, LOL

imagine 23 hours with no entertainment, pillows or anything.....

Jintor

HolyCheck said:
word. Why do we need to push our agenda and argue against those who do theirs?

i think the point is we should just not give a crap.

Athiesm doesn't have a monolithic community presence (or a group of monolithic community presences) like most other religions, so this kinda thing is good, if only for self-reinforcement. Deciding for yourself is all well and good when you know that most people are sensible and tolerant of other religions and that there are others out there like you, but when you've grown up with religion all your life the more active branch of athiesm is important, if only to jump-start critical thinking skills.

Imho.

I got into a religious chat with two christians yesterday on campus. Took up my study hour but I didn't mind. It was interesting. [Apparently God > Morality, for the record]

Jintor said:
Athiesm doesn't have a monolithic community presence (or a group of monolithic community presences) like most other religions, so this kinda thing is good, if only for self-reinforcement. Deciding for yourself is all well and good when you know that most people are sensible and tolerant of other religions and that there are others out there like you, but when you've grown up with religion all your life the more active branch of athiesm is important, if only to jump-start critical thinking skills.

Imho.

I got into a religious chat with two christians yesterday on campus. Took up my study hour but I didn't mind. It was interesting. [Apparently God > Morality, for the record]

Good points. I must reiterate that this convention isn't just about 'Atheism', it brings together people from different scientific fields in a secular manner. Harris' research into morality based on neuroscience for example is an incredibly interesting subject and one that disposes of the irrationality of God = Morality, the more this sort of stuff is exposed, it means we can actually have actual discussions of such things as ethics classes (without being labelled Nazi's) ;)

midonnay said:
meh, if the price is cheaper I don't really care.... thats what handhelds and netbooks are for.
Unless they don't include a power point for each passenger. No device will last 23 hours, and if you're anything like me you won't be sleeping for more than 4-5 of those.

If I can take my own cup of noodles (never had a problem with getting hot water for them) and I get my own power point, that's enough for me.

midonnay

PSP left pocket

DS right pocket

Netbook carry bag

Newspaper left hand

:D

Jetstar also has the lowest pitch (space between seats) in the world

fair point too

goddamn opera crashed twiced while writing this post..... fuck this I'm going Chrome.

Choc

Banned
http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/qantas-to-announce-drastic-changes/story-e6frfq80-1226115770960

1000 jobs affected, but from older airplanes. A

Qantas says there will be an impact on workers from the retirement of older aircraft and network changes, while the company will look to minimise compulsory redundancies wherever possible.

Qantas would participate in regional Asian opportunities and in the world, rather than being an Australian-based international airline, he said.

The airline was due to announce the finer details of the strategic review of its premium international business on August 24.

Say goodbye to an Aussie icon. Fuck you Alan Joyce.

edit: LA is no where near as bad, add 10 hours on top and you have LHR.

edit 2: wow some interesting things coming out of #qantas twitter.

#Qantas says 82 out of 100 people flying out of Aus are on an #airline other than them. New international strategy to be launched today

Next six A380 orders cancelled, replacing with A330s (probably because the A380 is causing them lots of grief)

midonnay said:
nope, but have done LA ... not as bad I guess
Melbourne to LA is one of the longest direct flights in the world (about 16 hours). However, Melbourne to Heathrow usually has a stop in the middle and ends up being 22-24 hours total travel time.

Also, fuck QANTAS. I've never had a good experience with them. Terrible at worst, and 'OK I guess' at best.

r1chard

Sutton Dagger said:
My wife attended last year for The Guardian. It was pretty good all up. Interesting discussions and not too much fundamentalism :)

Choc

Banned
well thats an end of an era

you will no longer be able to fly Qantas to LHR

in Bangkok/Singapore you will switch to British Airways

first dreamliner 787 to go to Jetstar (fuck)

Doesn't it make more sense, logistically, to have carriers fly specific regions and hand-off to other carriers on codeshare agreements once they're at the edge of their region?

MrSerrels

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
Nah dude - it was the article that started the twitter spat.

I posted the story then everyone started getting uppity about the numbers and what they meant, not the other way round.

fair enough. wasn't having a go at you mark :) just thought it was opportunist, but obviously not :D

MrSerrels

Bernbaum said:

Yeah, I have issues with it.

I do think we need folks like Dawkins/Hitch/et al to sort of defend atheism, but I my wife is a practicing Christian and I'm more of a live and let live kinda guy.

it's funny how most people only buy mags to read on the toilet. I know I don't want to take the ipad or kindle in there but have no problem taking Empire in there.

I hate flying but I have to vent about something else.

A former colleague asks on linked-in "I have 15 years experience yet can't get a call back from unnamed US-based company"

a recruiter replies saying "wow, you do have experience but it's your location and we have caps on relocation budgets"

Having been through the same deal, I think to myself, "why in the name of Baby Robot Christ don't you put that in your fucking job ads? The internet does exist outside of San Fransisco."

If you only want locals, but up a billboard. If you only want americans, put up a bigger billboard.

Some smaller US and Canadian companies do actually say that so it can't be illegal

and scene.

trinest

EatChildren said:

Fucking moron.
I used to be able to spit properly by dragging it back and then shooting it out, but only a short while after trying it (and it working), now its just vometing my spit in the morning.

Oh and my lungs are most likely mega small too, can't blow up ballons or anything like that.

Omikron

m14cxs.jpg

Man, why didn't I know earlier that Gillard caused the flooding in Qld/NSW (but not Vic!)

Aon

That banner is SO visually busy, it's impossible to pay attention to anything. Also how horrible is that apostrophe at the end of Australian's. UGGH.

Also Zone of the Enders 3DS, if we get it up quick it might be a GAF + Vooks scoop over every big game blog that exists :D

Not so far out of US primetime either :p

Omikron

Sutton Dagger said:
lol, have to add in some antisemitism to spice it up a little I guess?
True, as per the sign, why let any facts and reason get in the way of a good taunt!

Also, with all the pensioners at the 'rally', they are probably the most concerned at the potential for pokie reform.

EatChildren

The term 'boat people' should be catagorised similarly to racial slurs. Fuck that poster makes me angry.

Choc

Banned
i am not entirely sure how pokies and cigs legislation is a bad thing

:|

if you have a company that relies on people destroying their lives for you to stay in business, then you are a fucking moron

what does that five fingers fucking thing even mean?

Andrew Bolt you have a lot to explain you arsehole.

jambo

Home sick today, I feel like death.

Omi said:
http://a.yfrog.com/img611/6254/m14cxs.jpg[IMG]

Man, why didn't I know earlier that Gillard caused the flooding in Qld/NSW (but not Vic!)[/QUOTE]

That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

http://www.businessinsider.com/suck-it-applesoft-2011-8
A bit hyperbolic, but interesting. I didn't realise how many patents Google just picked up versus the recent Nortel/Novell auction. I couldn't imagine Google truly tried to drive up the price of the Nortel one but who knows?

I guess it's time for Google to put their money where their mouths are. They're in the unique position of being able to sue the shit out of a lot of companies but have been publicly saying how loathsome it is to due that.

Choc

Banned
most defo a hollywood movie in this collar bomb thing

890889-maddie-suspect.jpg

apparently a businessman who is known to pulvers, total espionage going on! :|

Choc

Banned
midonnay said:
oh for fucks sake.....

Pat Mcginnity who plays for West Coast has got suspended for making fun of a player's mum...

the AFL is for pansies these days, seriously. Total pansy game with what they are doing

mate if you took offence to yo mumma jokes or whatever in the NFL, you'd be laughed at.

The sledging during each play is amazing when you watch NFL films documentaries.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
midonnay said:
oh for fucks sake.....

Pat Mcginnity who plays for West Coast has got suspended for making fun of a player's mum...

Pathetic, he must be able to tell a awesome yo mama joke though.

edit: NRL still shit.

Top Bottom