• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Jintor said:
I lol'd when they calmed down for half an hour and then suddenly Deus Ex print v online shennanigans started up suddenly

I tried to stop that, I don't get any debug stuff at all! :p

All the cool kids write for small indie sites like Aussie-Nintendo Vooks, anyway.

Gazunta said:
This is the greatest video game magazine and any other answer is wrong.

071003_zzap64.jpg

Wish I could say I read that first one as "giant-sized tits supplement", but I made that up after the fact. Probably would've driven up readership, though.

I have an issue of this and a couple of other C64 mags here. Not really sure where I got them from though given I was only like 5 when Zzap stopped, probably came with the last bunch of tapes I bought from a garage sale.

legend166

elektrixx said:
So I want to leave my job. For those here who also work for IBM and other IT companies, would you consider it a big mistake to accept a role at JB Hi-Fi?

Where do you work now?

I think it's probably a mistake going into retail no matter what :p

Antic. best computer mag ever. There, I said it.

cover.JPG

for the best computer of the
late 70's
early 80's

early computer and videogames was pretty good (complete with free BASIC games to type out)

I remember reading an American console/ arcade game mag from the early 80's (pre- crash) that used to "screenshots" that were actually mockups by the art department (since there wasn't really any easier way to represent what was seen on screen

Also Gazunta and Serrels, Spectrum computers were released in Australia- they were sold and branded by Dick Smith. They were still shit.

elektrixx

Banned
legend166 said:
Where do you work now?

I think it's probably a mistake going into retail no matter what :p

I do PC repairs for IBM, HP, RTA and some other stuff. The money's good but these SLA's are ruining my life. I got drunk and stoned on friday night and then had to head to an RTA the next morning. I'm sick of it.

I do maintenance in the hunter region for all the JB's so I have some sort of familiarity with how they do business.

Gazunta

MrSerrels said:
Crash.

Oh yeah!
You and me, bike shed after school.

It's ON, SPEC-HEAD!

Is that the right c64 / spectrum rival talk? We never had those machines here...

Edit: Clive, d'oh yeah you're right, I forgot! I really should get one one day.

I have a John Sands SEGA SC-3000. I presume it's the most obscure hardware I own, except perhaps for my Amiga CD32. Problem is, the only software I have for it is the BASIC cart.

Bernbaum

I wish I was cool/old enough to join in the retro console discussion. I will say that I was the only person I knew who owned a Sega Game Gear.

Gazunta

Box of Bunnies said:
I have a John Sands SEGA SC-3000. I presume it's the most obscure hardware I own, except perhaps for my Amiga CD32. Problem is, the only software I have for it is the BASIC cart.
Um...the John Sands branded Sega SC 3000 is kinda rare. Good find!

The CD32 is rare insofar as nobody wanted it back in the day and nobody wants it now.

So turns out the Hospital here in Warrnambool is great! Came home from work to find the woman curled up on the couch in a painful migraine. Escalated to 5pm where she was whimpering on the floor like a dying lamb. Got the bro to watch the child and drove to the public hospital who put her straight into a bed and put her on an IV drip. By 8pm she decided she wanted to go home and seems fine now. Class act all round, fantastic staff. They were also dealing with a violent dementia patient, a girl my age who was going to be flown to Melbourne with spinal injuries and a pregnant woman who had been awake for 2 days. Puts everything into perspective.

elektrixx said:
I do PC repairs for IBM, HP, RTA and some other stuff. The money's good but these SLA's are ruining my life. I got drunk and stoned on friday night and then had to head to an RTA the next morning. I'm sick of it.

I do maintenance in the hunter region for all the JB's so I have some sort of familiarity with how they do business.
The best thing you can do is take a job that will make you happy. None of this "make a shitload of money now and take it easy later" shit. If your job makes you unhappy then you should find a way to make it better or move on. My brother is going through a similar thing, just stuck in an IT job going nowhere but he isn't sure that changing jobs will have the same kind of return. Would love to see him take a risk and take a shot at his dreams. Would be much less depressing to be around, maybe then HE would be the one dragging me to places instead of the other way round.

Bernbaum said:
I wish I was cool/old enough to join in the retro console discussion. I will say that I was the only person I knew who owned a Sega Game Gear.
Kid across the road from me as a boy had a Game Gear. So huge for my tiny childish hands. Golden Axe was the bomb.

Gazunta said:

The CD32 is rare insofar as nobody wanted it back in the day and nobody wants it now.
Hey! I wanted one! I was like 5 though. I couldn't afford even a Mega Drive. :(

trinest

Rez said:
Oh wow. Ordered Catherine from Play-Asia on Friday and it was here today. Crazy.
The latest stuff I've ordered from the UK (while not from Asia I know) have come much quicker than what I would normally expect.

VOOK said:
I really hope I haven't pissed Goose off Jintor. I like gaming magazines, I'm just not in love with Game Informer.

I have to say I don't mind the Game Informer magazine. Like all Australian adaptations regardless of whos funding it, theres going to be a large ammount of content from the over seas version, but you have to give credit where due- when they do, do local content its pretty good.

Edit: my OST also arived- but had a crack in the back of the case :(

Gazunta said:

Cool.

I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it, but I'm sure it wasn't a whole lot (maybe twenty bucks, max?) I grabbed it because it was an old computer and SEGA, so it matched two of my interests. The system is in fairly good nick, has a tape deck in similar condition and the packaging is slightly roughed but in mostly presentable condition (no box for the tape deck, unfortunately).

Garage sales can be a whole lot of nothing a lot of the time, but they're worth it when you make the occasional good score.

Yeah, I figured as much. I was interested in it mostly as a personal curiosity, given that I grew up with C64 and Amiga computers. A CD-based, Amiga-branded console? I was gonna grab that for myself even if it was nothing but naff.

Box of Bunnies said:
Cool.

I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it, but I'm sure it wasn't a whole lot (maybe twenty bucks, max?) I grabbed it because it was an old computer and SEGA, so it matched two of my interests. The system is in fairly good nick, has a tape deck in similar condition and the packaging is slightly roughed but in mostly presentable condition (no box for the tape deck, unfortunately).

In 1984, i would have killed to have had one of those to play Yamato. That was one of my favourite arcade games back in the day. yes, back in the day.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
hamchan said:
Should I buy Red Orchestra 2?

Yes, but you should get someone in the US to gift you a copy, incase the whole LV thing sticks.

Ydahs

Dear ***,

Your order from TheHut.com has been dispatched and will be with you shortly!

Please retain this email as your proof of purchase.

Xenoblades is on the way! Time to ramp up my Chrono Trigger game time so I can have that done before this gem arrives.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Huzzah for the Xenoblades! Play-Asia shipped out my copy of El Shaddai yesterday. Cant wait for that one.

hamchan

EatChildren said:
Yes, but you should get someone in the US to gift you a copy, incase the whole LV thing sticks.

Hmmm the LV notice is gone from Steam now so that should be fine. I'm more worried about the Australian community not having longevity because RO1 has like 0 servers now and I wanted to try that out before RO2 :-/.

Bernbaum

What's the draw on Xenoblades? Is it that great a game or has it only drawn attention because of Nintendo USA's 'here's something nice you can't have'?

EatChildren

Bernbaum said:
What's the draw on Xenoblades? Is it that great a game or has it only drawn attention because of Nintendo USA's 'here's something nice you can't have'?

Japan apparently loved it, Monolith Soft has a good pedigree.

From what I've seen/demoed it appears to a be a huge game gameworld with 100+ hours of questing and monster battling, with lots of accessibility features that erase many of the flaws in other JRPGs, and manages to keep the story, characters and plot interesting without falling back on stereotypical JRPG tropes.

Essentially its supposed to be a very good game.

Bernbaum said:
Reviews have been excellent. And it is a jRPG with good reviews. Been a long generation without many AAA jRPG's. Plenty of quirky ones like Nier and Resonance of Fate but I am really looking forward to an old style experience like what I played as a kid. Basically I want to wallow in my memories of playing FFVII.

EatChildren

legend166 said:
Sick day pt 2.

I hear that, only I seem to still have a stomach bug that I caught on Friday night.

reptilescorpio said:
My brother is going through a similar thing, just stuck in an IT job going nowhere but he isn't sure that changing jobs will have the same kind of return. Would love to see him take a risk and take a shot at his dreams.
This discussion is relevant to my current interests.

I have a pretty cushy middle management job where I'm paid a decent wage and have it pretty easy most of the time. Problem is, there's nowhere for me to move (not that I'm particularly ambitious) and I've been here long enough to be eligible for long service leave.

On Friday I have an interview for a job which would be considered more junior, but pays better and is possibly more exciting, but will likely be a hell of a lot busier meaning I can't just look at GAF for half the day.

Stupid life being difficult. #firstworldproblems

Bernbaum

codswallop said:
This discussion is relevant to my current interests.

I have a pretty cushy middle management job where I'm paid a decent wage and have it pretty easy most of the time. Problem is, there's nowhere for me to move (not that I'm particularly ambitious) and I've been here long enough to be eligible for long service leave.

On Friday I have an interview for a job which would be considered more junior, but pays better and is possibly more exciting, but will likely be a hell of a lot busier meaning I can't just look at GAF for half the day.

Stupid life being difficult. #firstworldproblems
All the best with that. I had a >$100k job where I spent the majority of my time browsing GAF and playing PSP which I left for a lower paying (yet intellectually more rewarding) job where I actually had to do stuff and I regret nothing. You'll get over it, and you can catch up on GAF in a train trip on the spiffy iPad/smartphone you bought yourself as a parting gift from when you quit your high-paying job.

reptilescorpio said:
The best thing you can do is take a job that will make you happy. None of this "make a shitload of money now and take it easy later" shit. If your job makes you unhappy then you should find a way to make it better or move on. My brother is going through a similar thing, just stuck in an IT job going nowhere but he isn't sure that changing jobs will have the same kind of return. Would love to see him take a risk and take a shot at his dreams. Would be much less depressing to be around, maybe then HE would be the one dragging me to places instead of the other way round.
The answer to the question "Should I take this job I'm not sure about over the job I know I hate?" is to always go for the plunge.

So the 2012 Global Atheist convention in Melbourne next year looks like it's going to be a big one, Dawkins/Dennet/Harris/Hitchens are all scheduled to attend. I'm thinking I might try and fly there and go, I have always wanted to hear Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens in particular give a lecture.

Gazunta

I took a 50% pay cut to go into game development, back in the day. Best decision evar, didn't give it a second thought.

Thank goodness webcomics earns MEGABUCKS LOL

Bernbaum said:
All the best with that. I had a >$100k job where I spent the majority of my time browsing GAF and playing PSP which I left for a lower paying (yet intellectually more rewarding) job where I actually had to do stuff and I regret nothing..
Yeah, I'm thinking if it seems more rewarding like I'm imagining, it's probably the better option. Screw this "is it best for my CV" type thinking.

Edit: The big problem I've got is that I've been in the same job for so long that moving anywhere is a scary proposition. The benefit is that I'll probably keep the long service leave (gotta love education/public service for that).

Top Bottom