• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Fusebox said:
Woah hang on a second, people who don't like Gloria Jeans aren't coffee snobs, they just have taste buds.

Gloria Jeans is just the MacDonalds of coffee. They have such a sugary base to their custom coffee's and they normal coffee is terrible.

Jintor

That's pretty small considering the influence they have these days

Fuck me, I played through two hours of Human Rev last night with no problems and now it's crashing a minute after launch on the work PC every time. What the fuck.

Fusebox

Banned
Marshmellow said:
Gloria Jeans is just the MacDonalds of coffee. They have such a sugary base to their custom coffee's and they normal coffee is terrible.

Not sure if I agree. Bic Macs aren't made to compete with corner store hamburgers as they are vastly different kinds of burgers, but in their own right that aren't bad for $3.50 when I'm blotto.

Gloria Jeans, on the other hand, sells a cappuccino that is in direct competition for taste and price with my local Campos seller, and in that context it's hard to justify their existence.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Eh, I had a mate at Uni who was into making his own specially brewed coffee which was nice at the time. At this point in my life though coffee is usually to counter for a lack of sleep brought on by a screaming child so it is more the general coffee taste/kick that I am looking for. If I want a comforting drink I will grab a bottle of Vanilla Coke. Or some beer.
Could never stand coffee. Tried several other caffeinated deals (Red Bull, No-Doz) but they always make me really skittish. The only thing I can have that keeps me awake without making me jittery is the Dex I've been taking for ADHD. For taste, I have a kickarse vanilla protein shake that doesn't taste like total arse.

Jintor said:
That's pretty small considering the influence they have these days

Fuck me, I played through two hours of Human Rev last night with no problems and now it's crashing a minute after launch on the work PC every time. What the fuck.
I had problems getting it started but since then it has been fine. Seemed glitchy until the end of the Prologue.

Also the amount of people here who care so much about their coffee is impressive. I love some great fish and chips down the beach but I am not against picking up some oven cook stuff from Aldi. I even eat the Red Rock Deli Sweet Chili and Sour Cream ripoff chips from Aldi which only taste a little different.

evlcookie said:
As for job stuff. I guess i have an IT background, Did a degree of bullshit in tafe for computing and i've been working in warehouse for the past 3 years. Warehouse does have some super basic technical shit as well, it's a job with 10 different requirements, so i'm a jack of all trades and master of none.
Nothing wrong with a TAFE IT degree, man. It's how I got into the IT industry and now I manage people who have university IT degrees. And sometimes I still think that TAFE did a better job of teaching real world fundamentals. Sure, uni grads might be able to get into philosophical IT discussions but the TAFE grads are the ones who know how do actually get stuff done.

Would you want to do IT work, sitting down all day? Would you prefer being up and around like with warehousing? If you care about warehousing, you could look for entry level SAP jobs or if you want IT and being active maybe a job supporting petrol station IT and bowsers or something. You'd be on the road a bit for that...

Also: I'm a coffee snob but have been known to fall back to getting Gloria Jeans type coffees if there's nothing else around and I want hot caffeine. I didn't realise they were weird Christian extremists though, which might change my position.

Kerrby

Banned
Was it discussed here yesterday that the PS3 version of House of the Dead Overkill was banned in Australia?

Or is there a thread for it? Maybe I should make one?

Fusebox

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Also the amount of people here who care so much about their coffee is impressive. I love some great fish and chips down the beach but I am not against picking up some oven cook stuff from Aldi.

Now imagine if the Aldi fish and chips cost 3 times more but tasted 3 times worse... that's your coffee from Gloria Jeans.

I'd care if I was in that situation.

elfinke

Kerrby said:
Was it discussed here yesterday that the PS3 version of House of the Dead Overkill was banned in Australia?

Yeah we had a brief discussion about it yesterday.

My test for coffee is pretty much if it requires milk, it's shit. If it requires sugar, it's the most vile substance known to man. I usually drink espresso or macchiato depending on my mood. Sometimes ristretto if I trust the place enough to deliver.

Fusebox said:
Now imagine if the Aldi fish and chips cost 3 times more but tasted 3 times worse... that's your coffee from Gloria Jeans.

I'd care if I was in that situation.
To be honest I think a Gloria Jeans latte is worth the price I pay (somewhere around $3-4 I think?). It tastes fine to me as I prefer something a little sugary as I don't drink coffee very often and most of the local places here are overpriced. Customer service has always been better for me at Gloria Jeans than other coffee places. It serves its purpose of being available when no other place is available. It is like any other franchise business.

Kerrby said:

Heated discussion a few pages back. Basically hopefully they wait until R18 hits to try again.

Rahk

Kerrby said:

I don't see the point in making a thread for a game being refused classification in Australia. It happens every other day.

Is there a general thread for games that have been refused? Perhaps do that instead with a list of all the games that have been refused classification or something.

Ydahs

markot said:
Dont think MSY is the best idea for laptops.

http://apcmag.com/notebookhunter/deals/index.htm
https://www.mln.com.au/
http://www.ozbargain.com.au/

imo keep an eye out on these sites, they can post pretty good deals sometimes.
Thanks for these. The second one looks good. Is there a specific laptop anyone recommends? Don't know much about manufacturers or laptop hardware.

Price range is around $500, though willing to spend $600 is necessary. Will be used heavily for programming (so RAM and good CPU) and little for games (unless a good gfx fits in the price range :D).

Jintor said:
I'm a tea drinker...
Russian Caravan tea from Twinings tastes soooooooo good. Nice to relax with while reading a book at night.

Hopefully the writer of that article on ABC from yesterday doesn't come in and see this thread. Followup article decrying AusGAF citizens.

Yagharek

codswallop said:
My test for coffee is pretty much if it requires milk, it's shit. If it requires sugar, it's the most vile substance known to man. I usually drink espresso or macchiato depending on my mood. Sometimes ristretto if I trust the place enough to deliver.

Ive got a mate like you. Bought his own coffee machine, calibrated flow rates and temperature and everything on it. Thats where I developed my coffee preferences, though I'll stoop to instant if I absolutely have to (ie on nightshift or when working away from home).

Needless to say, this friend now owns a pretty damn good cafe-restaurant back in tassie.

I'm not that extreme -- I do have an espresso machine but it's a $250 POS and the grinder is a $50 spice grinder. As the wife makes coffee on it daily we're planning on spending $1000 for machine and grinder after our next holiday as the credit card points will pay for three quarters of that in vouchers.

Woot! Painting co-ordinator at work got a slab of Carlton Cold as a kickback for helping on a job and gave me a 6 pack. Will do the job nicely for tonight even though I'm not a fan of the beer. Doesn't taste offensive enough for me to knockback the offer at least.

codswallop said:
Yeah I tend to drink way more water and tea than coffee, but when I drink coffee, I want it to be good.
Yeah ever since my best mate taught me that drinking a pint before bed on a big night out avoids a hangover I drink around 6 litres a day. I mix it with dite rite cordial as it tastes brilliant and has no added sugar, colour or flavours. Plus it has helped me lose a LOT of weight over the years. Rather than have a snack I can have a glass of water and forget that I was trying to eat away the boredom.
15597449054d080eae29e40.jpg

jambo said:
There is a Neverfail water fountain right out the front of my office door, so I just drink water all day!
Yeah when the painting division (one guy) moved into our office he brought the Neverfail fountain which is so damn handy.

Jintor said:
You have exquisite taste.
There is a cheese factory here that sells fantastic quality cheese really cheap, the garlic & chives one tastes brilliant with some waffer crackers and some tea out in the backyard reading a good book.

Rezbit said:
I drink instant chai latte. How far down the hot drink ladder am I?
I would guess the Chai brings you up and the Instant brings you down. So still above the stuff that takes 2 minutes to make and below anything with a name full of vowels.

Omi said:
I am currently drinking beer at my desk at work.

Do I win?
Sigh. Damn my zero tolerance policy at work. Had the 6 pack sitting next to my desk since lunchtime and it took all my willpower to not neck one. Especially since it was a rough day. The dream would be to open a beer at 9am at work again, just like my days running a pizza shop.
Plus you are Einstein so you always win by default.

Rezbit

Speaking of beer, you know what the best thing is? A shower beer. Hot shower, smashing back a nice coldie...feels good man.

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
Sigh. Damn my zero tolerance policy at work. Had the 6 pack sitting next to my desk since lunchtime and it took all my willpower to not neck one. Especially since it was a rough day. The dream would be to open a beer at 9am at work again, just like my days running a pizza shop.
Plus you are Einstein so you always win by default.

Sweet 8)

Also. Off out to a mates 30th tonight, a guy I haven't caught up with for nearly 10 years. We used to be best mates, hoping not for awkwardness.

Upside, a night out, wahay!

legend166

So who's up for a real doozy of a first world problem?

I'll be home from work in 30 minutes.

I have Deus Ex: HR AND Xenoblade waiting for me. Both are essentially unplayed (I put 30 minutes into Deus Ex last night).

WHICH ONE DO I PLAY?!

Omikron

legend166 said:

I have Deus Ex: HR AND Xenoblade waiting for me. Both are essentially unplayed (I put 30 minutes into Deus Ex last night).

WHICH ONE DO I PLAY?!

Football Manager

Shaneus

Can't remember the last time I had a significant amount of beers. Shit, can't even remember the last time I was pissed. If I didn't feel like I hadn't shaken this cold completely, I'd be out getting hammered in a heartbeat.

That Russian Caravan thingy sounds nice, though... is it just with hot water or is sugar or milk added? How long to infuse?

Omi said:
We used to be best mates, hoping not for awkwardness.

Upside, a night out, wahay!
Best thing about being a guy is that it doesn't matter how much time has passed since you have last talked as soon as you hangout and have a beer in hand it will be just like the old days. I hadn't seen or talked to one of my closest mates for 6 months and the day we caught up in Geelong it was fine, we said it was a bit strange we don't spend 4 hours a day together anymore but people understand that things change and the world doesn't allow us unlimited time to hang around talking shit anymore. At some point we have to juggle responsibilities of work/family/personal time. Rather than jump on Facebook after work I would prefer to sit and read about games or play some games. Doesn't mean I don't like those people as much as I used to, the spare hours have just shrunk from all week to one or two a day.Would be great to sit around all day talking garbage but the economy has to run somehow.

legend166 said:
WHICH ONE DO I PLAY?!
de3 would be best to power through as it seems pretty enthralling whereas Xenoblade is a proper slowburn jRPG that you should dedicate yourself to. Depends on your mood. Both are vastly different games. Both can be played on PC ;)

Shaneus said:
That Russian Caravan thingy sounds nice, though... is it just with hot water or is sugar or milk added? How long to infuse?
Goes great with or without sugar, dependant on how I am feeling that day. Also I just leave the bag in for 30 seconds or so, doesn't seem to make too much difference to me. Also if you are bored you could make a random trip to Hamilton for drinks at my engagement party if you are cool with sleeping on a floor. Still gotta pick up a few more slabs and organise the SingStar crap.

Shower beer is an unspoken joy because you worry it wouldn't be socially acceptable.

elfinke said:
What is that dude up to eh?
Being super relieved about Carbon prices?

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Also if you are bored you could make a random trip to Hamilton for drinks at my engagement party if you are cool with sleeping on a floor. Still gotta pick up a few more slabs and organise the SingStar crap.
I'm awkward enough at parties where I know a few people... ;)

Deffo need to meet up at some stage though. My weekends are usually pretty clean, save for the odd family shindig here and there. Road trip could be something fun! In the meantime, I shall chance it drinking in Geelong with a knife strapped to my ankle, just to be safe.

Grassy

Omi said:
I am currently drinking beer at my desk at work.

Do I win?

Having a beer at home after an early finish on Friday is better :)

It's my first beer in two weeks actually, feels good.

+1 to shower beers too, it's the best in summer.

Yagharek

legend166 said:

WHICH ONE DO I PLAY?!

Let me know when you find the answer. I got those two this week also.

Salazar said:
It's making me feel like I'm bad at videogames. :(
Drop the difficulty down to Easy and play for the experience. The game is made for multiple runs so next time you can play on Medium once you have 10 hours or so under your belt to know the mechanics inside and out.

Gazunta

Having had to use pubic transport for the past week for the first time in years to get in and out of the city every day...HOW THE FUCK DO PEOPLE HANDLE THIS SHIT?

Jesus tap-dancing Christ I'm glad I only have a few more days of this.

Salazar

Gazunta said:
Having had to use pubic transport for the past week for the first time in years to get in and out of the city every day...HOW THE FUCK DO PEOPLE HANDLE THIS SHIT?

Books/highly replayable iOS games.

Top Bottom