• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

trinest

bodyboarder said:
All this shaker fries talk makes me want some. Though I've been really good and haven't had maccas in ages. I'll see how much willpower I have tomorrow at lunch.
Shaker Fries are discusting. Though a kind of plus is they remind me of burger rings.

Started apartment hunting. First off, I can't believe how little $300 a week gets you in/near the city (Brisbane). Secondly if the listings I've seen on the net are anything to go off, dealing with real estate agents is going to be painful. Who in their right mind thinks its okay to not put any pictures of the "inside" of the apartment.

I can see this being a painful process. Anyone have any tips?

Also whats the go with getting adsl hooked up to an apartment (presumably) without a phone line already installed?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
bodyboarder said:
Started apartment hunting. First off, I can't believe how little $300 a week gets you in/near the city (Brisbane). Secondly if the listings I've seen on the net are anything to go off, dealing with real estate agents is going to be painful. Who in their right mind thinks its okay to not put any pictures of the "inside" of the apartment.

I can see this being a painful process. Anyone have any tips?

Also whats the go with getting adsl hooked up to an apartment (presumably) without a phone line already installed?

I'll say this, my experience doing what you've done (melb) has been so fucking horrendous (2 months later no net) that no matter what occurs.. it will be ok ;(

reptilescorpio said:
You want naked adsl. Or get a telstra home phone for 23 a month.

PRD down here are fantastic.

Yeah naked adsl was the plan, can you get it without having the line first? Or do you have to get the line, then switch over the to the naked adsl?

HolyCheck said:
I'll say this, my experience doing what you've done (melb) has been so fucking horrendous (2 months later no net) that no matter what occurs.. it will be ok ;(

Your not helping. What troubles have you had?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
bodyboarder said:
Your not helping. What troubles have you had?

Tomorrow my 6th optus / telstra tech is coming, and every time i speak to internode I'm a different distance from the exchange :( ie my streets lines are screwed, and It's hard getting people to man up and take blame (ie is it telstra or optus' fault) just be prepared to make a stand to get shit sorted if it doesnt (I cant (full time work, living alone) and yeah)

but other than that everythings not too bad, is it your first time moving out?

the biggest tips i can give if it is, be smart, have atleast 4k saved up! (I didnt lol) big things to buy = fridge and microwave :) so make sure to plan to get them right away.

I've also gone through a realestate agent and I'm finding it fairly pleasent, very professional and all, given i've had friends who rent from the owners, and it's just all very dodgy, I think with the big realtors it's all above board and on paper so you're fairly safe.

are you moving out to live alone? or sharing?

Ydahs

Great. My laptop's power socket just snapped off the mother board from the inside. With hardly any charge left, I'm left with all my valuable information inaccessible. I also have three tests and four assignments in the next fortnight :|

Time to pull out the wielder and hope for the best.

HolyCheck said:
Tomorrow my 6th optus / telstra tech is coming, and every time i speak to internode I'm a different distance from the exchange :( ie my streets lines are screwed, and It's hard getting people to man up and take blame (ie is it telstra or optus' fault) just be prepared to make a stand to get shit sorted if it doesnt (I cant (full time work, living alone) and yeah)

but other than that everythings not too bad, is it your first time moving out?

the biggest tips i can give if it is, be smart, have atleast 4k saved up! (I didnt lol) big things to buy = fridge and microwave :) so make sure to plan to get them right away.

I've also gone through a realestate agent and I'm finding it fairly pleasent, very professional and all, given i've had friends who rent from the owners, and it's just all very dodgy, I think with the big realtors it's all above board and on paper so you're fairly safe.

are you moving out to live alone? or sharing?

Ah your the one with the line problems, now I remember.

Have been renting a place off some relatives for a while, but the house is going so I'm having to find a new place. Have all the furniture etc (though seeing as most apartments I've seen are smaller then my living/dining room I might have to downsize some of it :(

I'm going to get a place for myself, I hate the idea of sharing. I'm actually more worried about getting decent internet as the current place I'm at I can't get cable or adsl and have been forced to tether from my phone. I want to play online haha.

Shaneus

Ydahs said:
Great. My laptop's power socket just snapped off the mother board from the inside. With hardly any charge left, I'm left with all my valuable information inaccessible. I also have three tests and four assignments in the next fortnight :|

Gah, I've never thought of that happening before. That Apple magnetic power thingy would've been handy in your sitch :(

PS. Hope you mean soldering iron. Welder might be a bit of overkill ;)

For naked DSL you need a physical phone line installed and connected to the premises, but you don't need to have it active or on a plan or anything.

Oh yeah, trap for new renters: If it says '300/week', it'll be more than that. Divide the bond by 4 and that'll be the weekly cost. Or multiply the weekly cost by 52, then by 12 and that's your monthly cost.

300 is 15600 a year, or 1300 a month, or 325 a week for a 4 week month. Yeah, it's dodgy.

Rezbit

RandomVince said:
Wheeeeeeeee Xenoblade Chronicles arrived in the mail today. Red cc pro version.

Too bad I'm still 750km away :|

Have you ventured into the Dolphin thread and seen the screenshots? motherofgod.jpg. Don't know much about the game, but it looks fantastic.

bodyboarder said:
Yeah naked adsl was the plan, can you get it without having the line first? Or do you have to get the line, then switch over the to the naked adsl?
Naked ADSL means you don't need a phone line up and running right? Not sure myself. All I know is that Naked isn't available here in Warrnambool so I had to go with ADSL2.

Ydahs said:

Ugh, my sister has broken off the power socket so many times on her laptops it really isn't funny. So much effort to get it up and working again, main reason I am so gentle with all my hand held gadgets.

Rezbit said:
Have you ventured into the Dolphin thread and seen the screenshots? motherofgod.jpg. Don't know much about the game, but it looks fantastic.
Best jRPG of the generation confirmed. It's already less than $40 and is incredibly good if you like those kinds of games. Plus Dolphin!

Jintor

I'm gonna learn to Dolphin the second it arrives. Assuming I don't have my ****ing assignments to do.

Just had to turn down a short-notice Japan trip, sucks

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sutton Dagger said:
My brother in law wants to get a PS3, what is absolute best deal? Most stores are doing $299, any doing free games with it as well?

EB Games are selling 160GB models for $248. You could use that $51 saved to import a game or two.

I'm considering purchasing one myself so I can keep my "fat" PS3 running CFW for the purpose of region-free Blu-ray playback.

Edit: Oh, it's $298. My bad. :( Must have misread the ad.

Yagharek

Rezbit said:

No I have not ventured there yet. Not really fussed though with dolphin since I'm pretty much a convenience over graphics kind of gamer these days.

And my pc is a vista pos.

Ydahs said:
I think I killed the laptop
If you can remove the hard disk, all is not lost. It's probably a 2.5" but maybe a 1.8" disk, and you can get caddies that will let it mount as an external disk to other computers.

Played the Space Marine and Driver: SF demoes tonight. Space Marine I breezed through on easy as that's what was selected by default. Didn't really "get" it. Tried again on hard and that's where I figured out what they were doing. The execute to heal is a pretty good mechanic. I can't decide whether the shooting and melee combat is fun or too hectic. I didn't finish the demo on hard but I got right to the end. I doubt I'd play the retail one on hard.

Driver: SF handles alright, though the cars are difficult to drive. The first mission is forgettable, the "you have to come first AND second" mission isn't bad, but the third is bloody annoying. You have an overall time limit and have to escape cops and THEN get to a checkpoint in that time limit. By the time you escape the cops you're over the other side of the map. It doesn't tell you where the checkpoint is until you lose the cops. Fuck that. The switching body mechanic is actually handled a lot better than I thought.

Rahk

bodyboarder said:
If you move into an apartment, the quickest and most painless way to get naked dsl will be to have a phone line connected and switch over.

If you apply without a phone line connected most ISPs will either refuse or just install it to the MDF and it will then be your responsibility to hire a tech to cable to your unit, which will likely also require you to organise with your landlord to have the MDF unlocked.

My girlfriend just came home with this for me

iNwrBl.jpg

YES

Jintor

I discovered that the first mission building in Human Revolution has EVEN MORE VENTS than I remember. Jesus christ that's a lot of vents.

Ydahs

Talk about right timing. Just yesterday my brother gave me his old Macbook since he bought a new Macbook Pro. I just didn't think it'll be my primary laptop from now on :'(

Screw that, I'm going to go buy a new laptop this weekend. I assume MSY is my best bet at finding a good deal?

Also, just found out the sticker at the bottom of my laptop with my Win7 CD key is completely faded. Hopefully I can retrieve it some other way...

markot

Banned
Ydahs said:
Talk about right timing. Just yesterday my brother gave me his old Macbook since he bought a new Macbook Pro. I just didn't think it'll be my primary laptop from now on :'(

Screw that, I'm going to go buy a new laptop this weekend. I assume MSY is my best bet at finding a good deal?

Also, just found out the sticker at the bottom of my laptop with my Win7 CD key is completely faded. Hopefully I can retrieve it some other way...
Dont think MSY is the best idea for laptops.

http://apcmag.com/notebookhunter/deals/index.htm
https://www.mln.com.au/
http://www.ozbargain.com.au/

imo keep an eye out on these sites, they can post pretty good deals sometimes.

Salazar

markot said:
I doubt it was the journalists idea >_<

I'm sufficiently goddamn sick of useless bullshit from commercial tv and newspapers in this country that anybody complicit in anything shady gets no sympathy. Zero tolerance if you know that what you are doing is fake/deceptive.

Clipper

Neverender said:
My girlfriend just came home with this for me

iNwrBl.jpg

YES
Congrats, but we've already seen that set built by jambo. He got the Shuttle about the same time I got this Shuttle:

starwars.jpg

which was awesome to build. 2,503 pieces of awesomeness, in fact.

Both of us are now awaiting this to get a release date, though...

Jintor said:
I discovered that the first mission building in Human Revolution has EVEN MORE VENTS than I remember. Jesus christ that's a lot of vents.
Nothing more enjoyable in this world than a good vent.

Also Driver reminds me a lot of the old Diver games, as in the cars handle poorly. Seems interesting enough to warrant a delayed purchase though.

Still got a lot to organise for this party tomorrow but I will probably spend my night playing de3. Going Pacifist first time round. Then I will be the murdering asshole.

Stackboy

Jintor said:
Hey, do you guys think the Mana Bar would be open to streaming Starcraft matches or hype fighting game stuff? Just saw the thread in Gaming.

Makes plenty of sense to me. It's a competitive game, suitable for streaming in a bar environment.

Stackboy

Salazar said:
I'm sufficiently goddamn sick of useless bullshit from commercial tv and newspapers in this country that anybody complicit in anything shady gets no sympathy. Zero tolerance if you know that what you are doing is fake/deceptive.

If you are so outraged, turn off the tv, stop reading the newspapers. Find another source.

Choc

Banned
Salazar said:

I think channel 9 Brisbane is a disgrace. They were doing what they were told to do, i guarantee it was the producer who told them to do it and they haven't been sacked......

It's not like the producer was going NO NO NO NO DONT DO THAT and they still did it :| they wouldn't do that, they aren't fucking stupid.

I reckon the kid should go to fairwork aus and he will probably win, easily.

You really think the guy wanted to say oh hi im over the search site, when he really wasn't.

Also in a way Channel 7 has to be called into question here. Did they really have to go all out and put it in the public or could they have rung 9 and said look we're onto you, don't do it again.

it's just a measure of how fucking shit the media is in this country. Dog eat dog rather than giving a fuck about the publics interest

Salazar

Stackboy said:
If you are so outraged, turn off the tv, stop reading the newspapers. Find another source.

I do, by and large. Can't remember the time I watched channels 7, Ten, or 9, and my Murdoch paper boycott is pretty solid.

But they are preposterous.

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
If you can remove the hard disk, all is not lost. It's probably a 2.5" but maybe a 1.8" disk, and you can get caddies that will let it mount as an external disk to other computers.

Played the Space Marine and Driver: SF demoes tonight. Space Marine I breezed through on easy as that's what was selected by default. Didn't really "get" it. Tried again on hard and that's where I figured out what they were doing. The execute to heal is a pretty good mechanic. I can't decide whether the shooting and melee combat is fun or too hectic. I didn't finish the demo on hard but I got right to the end. I doubt I'd play the retail one on hard.

Driver: SF handles alright, though the cars are difficult to drive. The first mission is forgettable, the "you have to come first AND second" mission isn't bad, but the third is bloody annoying. You have an overall time limit and have to escape cops and THEN get to a checkpoint in that time limit. By the time you escape the cops you're over the other side of the map. It doesn't tell you where the checkpoint is until you lose the cops. Fuck that. The switching body mechanic is actually handled a lot better than I thought.

indeed

game handles like shit as well.

Bernbaum

Today I got given something very special that very few people get to enjoy.

I didn’t want it, but it’s what I got. There was something very similar which I was hoping to get, which wasn’t any more or less special, but because I had my heart set on that, this morning’s gift is a disappointment. I am very upset for several reasons, partly because it’s what not what I wanted and partly because of the realisation that a year a ago I would have been thrilled with either opportunity and I have to now deal with being a terrible self-absorbed arsehole who’s gotten used to getting what he wants. I don’t want to be an adult anymore – I lack the proper experience and will happily accept a demotion.

Choc said:
indeed

game handles like shit as well.
I found the handling heavy and a big sluggish, but I think that's because the initial car is a giant muscle car. The Pontiac you switch into in the demo handles better but when you press full acceleration after a crash you just sit there spinning the wheels. The handling's probably more "realistic" in that at high speed you can't turn much, but damn, it's not really very fun.

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
I found the handling heavy and a big sluggish, but I think that's because the initial car is a giant muscle car. The Pontiac you switch into in the demo handles better but when you press full acceleration after a crash you just sit there spinning the wheels. The handling's probably more "realistic" in that at high speed you can't turn much, but damn, it's not really very fun.

You are a guy who can jump into guys heads and take over their cars. I don't think realism is big on their hitlist

also, the game does have potential, i am keen to see more :|

Choc said:
You are a guy who can jump into guys heads and take over their cars. I don't think realism is big on their hitlist

also, the game does have potential, i am keen to see more :|
Still looks like it's meant to be (mostly) grounded in reality. Frankly, if the guy's meant to be in a coma, I'd prefer to see Inception type bending of the world, or driving on walls or shit.

The demo left me unimpressed. I could probably get used to the handling, but I think the game would get pretty old pretty fast. Didn't try the multiplayer but I'm not into racing that much anyway.

Gazunta

Bernbaum said:
Today I got given something very special that very few people get to enjoy.

I didn’t want it, but it’s what I got. There was something very similar which I was hoping to get, which wasn’t any more or less special, but because I had my heart set on that, this morning’s gift is a disappointment. I am very upset for several reasons, partly because it’s what not what I wanted and partly because of the realisation that a year a ago I would have been thrilled with either opportunity and I have to now deal with being a terrible self-absorbed arsehole who’s gotten used to getting what he wants. I don’t want to be an adult anymore – I lack the proper experience and will happily accept a demotion.
Just being able to make this realisation and put it in these terms means you're qualified to be an adult.

TIME PARADOX

midonnay

Choc said:
You really think the guy wanted to say oh hi im over the search site, when he really wasn't.

I don't think he even did that...... correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed like it was on the autocue and the presenter said we're now crossing to whoever at whereever.

must have been an inside job whoever tipped channel 7 .

Choc

Banned
midonnay said:
I don't think he even did that...... correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed like it was on the autocue and the presenter said we're now crossing to whoever at whereever.

must have been an inside job whoever tipped channel 7 .

channel 7 has a camera constantly fixated on the 9 helipads around the country, to follow them whereever they go

jambo said:
Missed my bus this morning, then when the next one came I realised that I'd left my wallet at home -__-

Was an hour late in this morning. whoops

GAF SHIRTS HO!
received both my GAF shirts last night and seeing as it is casual Friday i am currently pimping one out. they are quite awesome i suggest that you all get one!

Top Bottom