• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

hamchan said:
Mad Men just gets better each season with the exception of the season 4 finale.

you should take out a full page ad "Why I'm quitting The Season 4 Finale" in the New York Times

ep 12 of season 4 is the new ep 13 of season 3. My reaction to ep 13 of S4 was "really? that was quick"

hamchan said:
Another reason why EB > GAME.
GAME was run out of Geelong with pitchforks and chanting. At least they cleared out most of their games at $5 before disappearing into the fog.

Bernbaum said:
The last time I pre-ordered a game was for Scribblenauts so I could get a rooster hat.

I've worn it once.
I pre-ordered the awesome Sonic Colours for a Sonic hat.

My son has worn it twice. Totally worth it.

Choc

Banned
BanShunsaku said:
Yeh it was online, and from memory there was a checkbox which I ticked.

It does say in the terms and conditions that it is non refundable. I just didn't read it, so it is my bad. But yeh still a shitty policy in my opinion.

its possible that this breaches the trade practices act in NSW/Victoria

no terms and conditions can overrule the TPA

Danoss

That's why I posted what I did Choc, I believe them keeping the $10 is unreasonable and therefore at odds with the ACCC/Fair Trading.

Choc

Banned
preorders make enough money for the game companies already

lets say 20 games a year have high preorders (not entirely out of the question)

lets say nationwide 4000 preorders each

so thats 80k preorders a year @ $10 each

thats $800,000 of preorder money

so you dump that in an account earning interest, lets say 6.50%

$52,000 in interest

for doing fucking nothing

MrSerrels

Omi said:
Game ratings could be ceded to machines

Bit of a dodgy headline, essentially suggesting self-regulation. Hurrah, common sense!

Brendan O'Connor has been for self-regulation for yonks. The problem is there will have to be some sort of state-sponsored back up, because that's what Australians like.

It should just work as a complaint based service. Or the classification board should just exclusively focus on games with mature content that require a bit more discretion.

Omikron

MrSerrels said:
Brendan O'Connor has been for self-regulation for yonks. The problem is there will have to be some sort of state-sponsored back up, because that's what Australians like.

It should just work as a complaint based service. Or the classification board should just exclusively focus on games with mature content that require a bit more discretion.

Do we know the position of the new NSW and Vic AGs on the R18+ issue at all?

MrSerrels

Choc said:

lets say 20 games a year have high preorders (not entirely out of the question)

lets say nationwide 4000 preorders each

so thats 80k preorders a year @ $10 each

thats $800,000 of preorder money

so you dump that in an account earning interest, lets say 6.50%

$52,000 in interest

Is that how it works though?

I would have thought that the retailers hold the cash, and that pre-orders were used as an indicator of how much stock retailers would buy from distributors nearer release. Hence why publishers are happy to pay for advertising in store.

MrSerrels

Omi said:
Do we know the position of the new NSW and Vic AGs on the R18+ issue at all?

New NSW AG has been avoiding discussing it.

Robert Clark from Victoria said some really stupid things like "guidelines need more public discussion" - despite a public consultation, and massive nationwide survey, coming back with resounding support for R18+.

Omikron

MrSerrels said:
New NSW AG has been avoiding discussing it.

Robert Clark from Victoria said some really stupid things like "guidelines need more public discussion" - despite a public consultation, and massive nationwide survey, coming back with resounding support for R18+.

Sounds like you can mark both of those guys down as against then.

legend166

MrSerrels said:

I would have thought that the retailers hold the cash, and that pre-orders were used as an indicator of how much stock retailers would buy from distributors nearer release. Hence why publishers are happy to pay for advertising in store.

As Gaz said, I think that stuff is worked out way in advance for most big titles.

Especially something like Duke Nukem, which is what we were talking about, right?

Danoss

I believe it is Legend, on a lot of big titles from large publishers there would be a commitment to buy X number of copies well in advance. Even still, pre-orders are pushed as "if you don't pre-order, you may not get a copy" which is very rarely the case.

I can understand some companies wanting to use pre-orders as an indication of interest for smaller titles, but I see it as mainly beneficial for smaller or independent companies/stores.

The only place I will pre-order from is Steam, because I know I want the game at that point and will be able to pre-load before release.

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:

serrels go look at Gamestop US financials on the NASDAQ

specifically references preorder cash

sure its US, but EB works the same no doubt.

Of course preorders help gauge interest in a title for retailers to see how much they should order. But there is no doubt that $10 is working for them.....

lets take it to the next step, the 3DS.

They required at least $50 deposit on those and 31k were sold week one.

so

lets say 20k were preordered

1,000,000 dollars in preorders

so at 6.50%, 65,000 interest (per annum of course so less...) for doing nothing....

the retailers wouldnt hold all the cash. Financial reports are prepared for head office by store managers. That finance (especially when you consider EFTPOS) is dumped into a head office account eventually you would think and the stores run on a balance that is used to run the store rather then profit profit profit just sitting in an account.

Bernbaum

The keen observer will note that our dear Choc has refrained from hotlinking to News.com.au/TheAustralian.com.au in favour of the ABC, the Guardian, and the Sydney Morning Herald.

How do them soy decaf lattes taste, Choc?

As for the actual subject matter of Real Estate advertising, this is indeed something I will keep in mind. All the places I've looked at in my Sunday afternoon property-owning daydream sessions seem to start around $700,000, and the discrepancy of a few tens of thousands of dollars can mean all the difference when applying for a loan.

Choc

Banned
Bernbaum said:
The keen observer will note that our dear Choc has refrained from hotlinking to News.com.au/TheAustralian.com.au in favour of the ABC, the Guardian, and the Sydney Morning Herald.

How do them soy decaf lattes taste, Choc?

As for the actual subject matter of Real Estate advertising, this is indeed something I will keep in mind. All the places I've looked at in my Sunday afternoon property-owning daydream sessions seem to start around $700,000, and the discrepancy of a few tens of thousands of dollars can mean all the difference when applying for a loan.

RE agents should be banned from doing offers over. If you say offers over 600k and someone gives you 601 you don't laugh and say no

well dont FUCKING ADVERTISE IT LIKE THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

if you dont want to go to auction, its fixed price or nothing

fucking our real estate is disgraceful compared to other parts of the globe.

its one area where we need regulation and fast.

markot said:
Developers, agents, construction all have too much power. Thats why we still got the damn negatives gearing.
Baby boomers. Baby boomers are why we still have negative gearing. It's a ridiculous system that should have been phased out decades ago that makes the rest of us take the tax burden off the shoulders of the rich.

Choc said:
$52,000 in interest
Come on Choc! You know that retailers spend that pre-order money on kickass corporate retreats and celebrity endorsements not smart financial investment! Come on.

Also money in the hand is worth two in the persons bush, etc. Pre-orders and pre-owned keeps retailers going, without them they would have already gone the way of the dodo or the Borders. No wonder they are against DD.

legend166 said:
Why did no one tell me a new Fleet Foxes album was out?
Same reason no-one told me the Yuck album came out months ago, no-one knew we were into them. Also everyone should listen to Yuck, they came out of Cajun Dance Party and sound like Dinosaur Jnr/Pavement. Which I am sure plenty of people here were into back in the day. Unlike me who only came across them this decade. Because I am still young.

Bernbaum said:
All the places I've looked at in my Sunday afternoon property-owning daydream sessions seem to start around $700,000, and the discrepancy of a few tens of thousands of dollars can mean all the difference when applying for a loan.
Mother of god that is a lot of money, how many Jacuzzis do you get for that Bern? The house we were looking at building was glorious with 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 4 living areas and included land for around $340,000.

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
The house we were looking at building was glorious with 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 4 living areas and included land for around $340,000.
How many tanks of petrol does it take to get to a city from there?

Bernbaum

reptilescorpio said:
Mother of god that is a lot of money, how many Jacuzzis do you get for that Bern? The house we were looking at building was glorious with 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 4 living areas and included land for around $340,000.
These are mid-sized inner suburb homes in Brisbane. I included a few from New Farm, but they're tipping their nose against $1mil.

My scouting has been nought but a pure daydream.

A friend of mine on post-doc money just put a deposit down for a $700k ugly-as-fuck brick monolith in run-of-the-mill Ashgrove.

Fredescu said:
How many tanks of petrol does it take to get to a city from there?
lol-emoticon.

Bernbaum said:
These are mid-sized inner suburb homes in Brisbane. I included a few from New Farm, but they're tipping their nose against $1mil.

My scouting has been nought but a pure daydream.

A friend of mine on post-doc money just put a deposit down for a $700k ugly-as-fuck brick monolith in run-of-the-mill Ashgrove.
This is post-flood, is it? Mother of God.

legend166

reptile, I was too young to be into Pavement back in the day.

So I'm into them now.

Although when I really think about it, I reckon I like Stephen Malkmus' solo/Jicks stuff more.

Dead Man

I am selling the house I own with my sister (She lives in Perth and doesn't want a house in Adelaide, fair enough) and the numbers we have been offered so far are ridiculous. It is close to the city, and on a fair sized block, but I thought I might be able to buy out my sisters half. Turns out no way in hell can I afford half the price of this place!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Dead Man said:
I am selling the house I own with my sister (She lives in Perth and doesn't want a house in Adelaide, fair enough) and the numbers we have been offered so far are ridiculous. It is close to the city, and on a fair sized block, but I thought I might be able to buy out my sisters half. Turns out no way in hell can I afford half the price of this place!

What suburb if you dont mind my asking?

Gazunta said:
And this is why I live in the sticks.

and spend an hour and a half driving home every night
I live in a one bedroom shoebox that was built in the seventies, but because of the buses, it still takes me an hour and a half to get home some nights, especially if I work late.

My fiance keeps telling me these fantasies of living in a four bedroom house close to the city. I keep trying to manage her expectations, because I can see already that it'll be either the big house or the sticks - we won't be able to have both. It sucks :(

Dead Man

HolyCheck said:
What suburb if you dont mind my asking?
Vale Park, in the Walkerville council so the rates are nice and low. The thing is the house is knackered. The roof tiles need replacing, there are cracks 2 fingers wide in half the walls, and in the end bedroom you have to be careful about which way you lay in the bed or all you blood will rush to your head since the foundations are stuffed. And we have still had $700,000 or thereabouts thrown as offers. Madness. The good thing is even half that + a very small mortgage will buy me a nice small place only a little further out, so that is some consolation. I can't imagine how frustrating it is for someone who doesn't already have some property to leverage.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
serrels go look at Gamestop US financials on the NASDAQ

specifically references preorder cash

sure its US, but EB works the same no doubt.

Of course preorders help gauge interest in a title for retailers to see how much they should order. But there is no doubt that $10 is working for them.....

lets take it to the next step, the 3DS.

They required at least $50 deposit on those and 31k were sold week one.

so

lets say 20k were preordered

1,000,000 dollars in preorders

so at 6.50%, 65,000 interest (per annum of course so less...) for doing nothing....

the retailers wouldnt hold all the cash. Financial reports are prepared for head office by store managers. That finance (especially when you consider EFTPOS) is dumped into a head office account eventually you would think and the stores run on a balance that is used to run the store rather then profit profit profit just sitting in an account.

Ah, alright - I thought you were saying that the publishers raked it in, not the EBs/Gamestops of the world. That makes more sense.

Fredescu

I'm jumping onto Mar_'s bandwagon. I reckon a property correction is not far away. Seems like it's already starting in Brisbane and Perth. I even thought about selling up and renting for a little while, but I think the government will step in to try and flatten things out and I'll just end up being annoyed about renting.

Bernbaum said:
Out at the Lara lakes estate, the one we picked out from Dennis Family was the Harvard 271, house and land plus all the extras we wanted was $350,000 after looking at the quote we were given. Only negative is it is in Lara. :(

Takes about 20 mins to centre of Geelong or 20 mins to work in Waurn Ponds.

HolyCheck said:
Because Goblin leaked and the cool kids are busy listening to that instead...
I thought all the cool kids were listening to My Morning Jacket?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Anyone here know where I can get a simple algebra book from? like a year 8 work book.

A friend has never learnt it and we were going over it the other night..

x+4 = 7, find x confused her

and she didnt know what 2^4 meant, or anything like this... so fairly simple level stuff.. any clues? or websites/

Agyar

Fredescu said:
I'm jumping onto Mar_'s bandwagon. I reckon a property correction is not far away. Seems like it's already starting in Brisbane and Perth. I even thought about selling up and renting for a little while, but I think the government will step in to try and flatten things out and I'll just end up being annoyed about renting.
This bubble isn't going burst unti, the Boomers need to sell up to fund their retirement and even then, it's more likely the government will step in and continue to prop up the market with concessions like the FHOG, all the while telling us they're making housing more affordable. It's a farce and it won't end until the government increases capital gains taxes for investment properties to match income tax and takes away negative gearing for investors. Of course this won't happen either because it would bring the whole Ponzi scheme crashing down leaving millions of retirees with nothing because property investment had been overly lucrative for so long that nobody invests in anything else anymore.

To make matters worse, all the young people signing up for obscene mortgages over thirty years are now in at the basement of the pyramid and will also be caught out by any market collapse.

Bernbaum said:

Its depressing isn't it. 700k gets you nothing. I can't wait for a price correction.

Top Bottom