• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Dead Man

HolyCheck said:
Anyone here know where I can get a simple algebra book from? like a year 8 work book.

A friend has never learnt it and we were going over it the other night..

x+4 = 7, find x confused her

and she didnt know what 2^4 meant, or anything like this... so fairly simple level stuff.. any clues? or websites/
If you don't need it quickly Bookdepository has a lot of cheap textbooks. But they do take a while to arrive.

MrSerrels

Agyar said:
This bubble isn't going burst unti, the Boomers need to sell up to fund their retirement and even then, it's more likely the government will step in and continue to prop up the market with concessions like the FHOG, all the while telling us they're making housing more affordable. It's a farce and it won't end until the government increases capital gains taxes for investment properties to match income tax and takes away negative gearing for investors. Of course this won't happen either because it would bring the whole Ponzi scheme crashing down leaving millions of retirees with nothing because property investment had been overly lucrative for so long that nobody invests in anything else anymore.

To make matters worse, all the young people signing up for obscene mortgages over thirty years are now in at the basement of the pyramid and will also be caught out by any market collapse.

So, in short, we're all fucked and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

OH GAWD!

Fredescu

Agyar said:
This bubble isn't going burst unti, the Boomers need to sell up to fund their retirement and even then
That's five years or more away. I think it will happen well before then. Hell, five years ago from today was a low point in itself. I think legislation will only go so far in overcoming market psychology, and the current government is so hell bent on getting back into surplus I'd be surprised if they go and spend a shitload on the FHOG again: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/02/3204860.htm

It will be a disaster for retirement funds though, so they'll try and do something for sure.

I'm reading up on CFDs as we speak so I can be prepared to short the banks like an arsehole when it happens. Part of the problem etc.

MrSerrels said:

OH GAWD!
Buy some non property dependant stocks and ride the wave!

MrSerrels said:

OH GAWD!
I recommend buying primo land in Mexico. All the drug wars has sent prices low so once Call of Juarez comes out and shows us the ethical implications of their actions they will flush their drugs and recycle their guns into playgrounds for children. Prices are going to skyrocket yo! In 20 years time Juarez will be the new Aspen for the Hollywood elite so get in before 50 Cent starts buying it all up.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I like how there are no disruptions on my line but the train is still 20+ minutes late. Fuck a duck

I seem to be reading about 2 chapters every morning on the way to work of game of thrones, whatever it's called.
I'm finding it a little hard to keep track of since the names are so fucking insane and there's so many. I'm sure I will stick with it though.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
evlcookie said:
I like how there are no disruptions on my line but the train is still 20+ minutes late. Fuck a duck

I seem to be reading about 2 chapters every morning on the way to work of game of thrones, whatever it's called.
I'm finding it a little hard to keep track of since the names are so fucking insane and there's so many. I'm sure I will stick with it though.

any good? I'm enjoying the three eps of the show so far so i'm tempted

Mar

Bernbaum said:
As for the actual subject matter of Real Estate advertising, this is indeed something I will keep in mind. All the places I've looked at in my Sunday afternoon property-owning daydream sessions seem to start around $700,000, and the discrepancy of a few tens of thousands of dollars can mean all the difference when applying for a loan.

700k would get you a run down 2 bedroom terrace or nice 2 bedroom apartment + parking in Newtown. Granted the prices have come down a bit recently. It feels only like yesterday a deceased estate with holes in the floor went for 900k. I went to inspect that place and later laughed at how much it sold for.

Fredescu said:
I'm jumping onto Mar_'s bandwagon. I reckon a property correction is not far away. Seems like it's already starting in Brisbane and Perth. I even thought about selling up and renting for a little while, but I think the government will step in to try and flatten things out and I'll just end up being annoyed about renting.

I like the deliberate underscore you've placed there.

Selling then renting in this current environment would certainly be an attractive idea. I know a guy who says "I'm a millionaire!" when in conversation about his Coogee house. And sure, it's all paid off and it is worth a million or so, but to actually be a millionaire he has to sell that and trade down, and in Sydney trading down and keeping that cash means living out in Campbeltown somewhere. Not a lifestyle he'd be accepting I don't think. So yeah, he'd have to sell then rent, losing his security, but he would be a millionaire.

But like you said, there's too much up in the air and danger of the government stepping in and propping up house prices. They are very keen to do so to keep all those millions of baby boomers off the government pension. Economically Australia would be fucked if prices crashed.

Personally I'd love it to happen though. Eventually this has to turn in favour of the majority or we are just making a problem much worse generation after generation.

Dead Man

Mar said:
700k would get you a run down 2 bedroom terrace or nice 2 bedroom apartment + parking in Newtown. Granted the prices have come down a bit recently. It feels only like yesterday a deceased estate with holes in the floor went for 900k. I went to inspect that place and later laughed at how much it sold for.

I like the deliberate underscore you've placed there.

Selling then renting in this current environment would certainly be an attractive idea. I know a guy who says "I'm a millionaire!" when in conversation about his Coogee house. And sure, it's all paid off and it is worth a million or so, but to actually be a millionaire he has to sell that and trade down, and in Sydney trading down and keeping that cash means living out in Campbeltown somewhere. Not a lifestyle he'd be accepting I don't think. So yeah, he'd have to sell then rent, losing his security, but he would be a millionaire.

But like you said, there's too much up in the air and danger of the government stepping in and propping up house prices. They are very keen to do so to keep all those millions of baby boomers off the government pension. Economically Australia would be fucked if prices crashed.

Personally I'd love it to happen though. Eventually this has to turn in favour of the majority or we are just making a problem much worse generation after generation.
And all that is why I'm thinking of buying property in the US to park my money in for a few years while we see what happens here. Prices there are ridiculously low at the moment.

Fredescu

Investing overseas is double the risk. You've got to worry not only about the value of your asset, but the value of our currency. A strong AUD could eat away your earnings.

Less than 2 weeks to go for The Witcher 2! My loins can barely contain my excitement so here are some choice shots that show why it is a good idea to have a decent PC. Also you should pre-order from the good people at GOG as 100% of the money should go to the developers. Also jumps racing is silly, improve the safety of the sport!

http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/pc/t/h/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-pc-1303137232-201.jpg

http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/pc/t/h/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-pc-1303137232-278.jpg

Should run at ultra on my Q6600 and GTX460 so you won't need a $5000 PC to maximise the experience.

Fredescu said:
Investing overseas is double the risk. You've got to worry not only about the value of your asset, but the value of our currency. A strong AUD could eat away your earnings.
I remember someone convincing me that the dollar would peak in June/July but I can't remember why... Once it gets to $1.20 I'll be hitting up Amazon for a sweet Kindle.

Mass Effect 3 being delayed into next year is the best news I've heard all day. Means they have more time to make it great and gives me more time to spend on all the games already releasing in November.

Obk2i.gif
Zomg! What could it be??

senahorse

Prices are coming down in Brisbane, that's a certainty. We (gf and I) have been looking around Ferny Grove, about 15 minutes drive to work (25 or so in peak hour or a half an hour ride on a train). Now I can't speak for peoples living standards on here but just as an example you can get a place like this for $495K (3 bed, 2.5 level)

7wp2ws37wj9wjvxjnp3u5j76n.jpg

y4v5mr6b4fvbpnxh6m9x8ugqc.jpg

37vrgc7ghug2x3b0y7kqhxwue.jpg

Sure it's not the flashiest place around but it's nice enough and in a quiet area (leafy, important to us, sick of inner-city living)

Rezbit

That joint looks good. Is that a pool or just a really nice pond?

Also, Jumps racing has GOT TO GO. Horses dying, horse did a runner today and jumped into the crowd. Crazy shit.

Bernbaum

reptilescorpio said:
Mass Effect 3 being delayed into next year is the best news I've heard all day. Means they have more time to make it great and gives me more time to spend on all the games already releasing in November.
Your post is the first I heard of it. ME3 is right up there on my anticipation list, yet this news doesn't bother me in the slightest.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
x3n05 said:
Prices are coming down in Brisbane, that's a certainty. We (gf and I) have been looking around Ferny Grove, about 15 minutes drive to work (25 or so in peak hour or a half an hour ride on a train). Now I can't speak for peoples living standards on here but just as an example you can get a place like this for $495K (3 bed, 2.5 level)

http://image1.onthehouse.com.au//photos/47744002/1081324/7wp2ws37wj9wjvxjnp3u5j76n.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://image1.onthehouse.com.au//photos/47744002/1081324/y4v5mr6b4fvbpnxh6m9x8ugqc.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]http://image1.onthehouse.com.au//photos/47744002/1081324/37vrgc7ghug2x3b0y7kqhxwue.jpg[/MG]

Sure it's not the flashiest place around but it's nice enough and in a quiet area (leafy, important to us, sick of inner-city living)[/QUOTE]
you say that now. I hope you like SPIDERSAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[QUOTE=Bernbaum]You post is the first I heard of it. ME3 is right up there on my anticipation list, yet this news doesn't bother me in the slightest.[/QUOTE]
it's actually a bit of a relief, to be honest

senahorse

Rezbit said:
That joint looks good. Is that a pool or just a really nice pond?

Also, Jumps racing has GOT TO GO. Horses dying, horse did a runner today and jumped into the crowd. Crazy shit.

Pool:

3q7j14th4ap9huh7gkhfc7k6t.jpg

And it's far from the best place we have looked at in that price range. We have seen a drop of about 10% on selling prices in the past 6 months, it's becoming a buyers market again, albeit slowly.

Rez said:
you say that now. I hope you like SPIDERSAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

it's actually a bit of a relief, to be honest

GF hates them :p, but I lived in that area for about 25 years so I know what to expect :)

Bernbaum said:
You post is the first I heard of it. ME3 is right up there on my anticipation list, yet this news doesn't bother me in the slightest.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/05/aw-mass-effect-3-is-delayed-until-2012/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429274

Uh oh.
"One of the things that Ray Muzyuka and the team up in Edmonton have done is essentially step-by-step adjust the gameplay mechanics and some of the features that you'll see at E3 to put this in a genre equivalent to shooter-meets-RPG," he said, "and essentially address a much larger market opportunity than Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 began to approach.

"We're huge believers in the IP and are purposefully shifting it to address a larger market opportunity." - John Riccitiello
From Eurogamer

Dead Man

Fredescu said:
True, but I often think a few years over there working would be nice, see that half of the family again. Even if I didn't make any money, I could almost buy 2 decent houses outright, rent 1, work a bit, and travel a lot for 2 years. It would not be the absolute best thing financially, but it would not hurt too much no matter what.

Fredescu

Dead Man said:
True, but I often think a few years over there working would be nice, see that half of the family again.
Ah, yeah if you have family over there it mightn't be a bad idea. Their unemployment is still fairly high, so the job part might be a bit of a struggle. Plus I don't think their economy is completely out of the woods yet.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So apparently I have some relatives who live in South Africa... they sent picture of their house (one of them!) and it looks like a Resort.... I don't know how I feel about this.

They probably have servants and shit.

HolyCheck

VOOK said:
So apparently I have some relatives who live in South Africa... they sent picture of their house (one of them!) and it looks like a Resort.... I don't know how I feel about this.

Dont blame them, it's pretty shit over there. I was at a servo that had three people serve me. One took the items off the tray, handed them to the next one who scanned them who handed them to the next one who bagged them.

Dead Man

Fredescu said:
Ah, yeah if you have family over there it mightn't be a bad idea. Their unemployment is still fairly high, so the job part might be a bit of a struggle. Plus I don't think their economy is completely out of the woods yet.
Yeah, it is far from set in stone, heaps of things to work out. Hell, I might actually find a decent job soon, that would keep me here just fine.

HolyCheck said:
Dont blame them, it's pretty shit over there. I was at a servo that had three people serve me. One took the items off the tray, handed them to the next one who scanned them who handed them to the next one who bagged them.
What? That seems mental.

jambo

reptilescorpio said:
I pre-ordered the awesome Sonic Colours for a Sonic hat.

My son has worn it twice. Totally worth it.

I have one of those, every now and then I wear it and run past my housemates shouting "I'M SONIC!"

legend166

Dead Man said:
I am selling the house I own with my sister (She lives in Perth and doesn't want a house in Adelaide, fair enough) and the numbers we have been offered so far are ridiculous. It is close to the city, and on a fair sized block, but I thought I might be able to buy out my sisters half. Turns out no way in hell can I afford half the price of this place!

For those of us who will have to save for the next 3 years to enter the housing market, you are not allowed to complain about this situation :p

x3n05 said:

Sure it's not the flashiest place around but it's nice enough and in a quiet area (leafy, important to us, sick of inner-city living)

Wow. Me and my wife are looking at purchasing property early next year and that is very promising to see.

HolyCheck said:
Because Goblin leaked and the cool kids are busy listening to that instead...
I must be getting old, had a listen to Goblin and it just sounds fucking terrible to me .

New Fleet Foxes is great, though.

Omikron

VOOK said:

It is very weird having relos with money... extended family of mine genuinely own a resort + private jet.....

.... in south america. :p

Dead Man

justin.au said:
Currently trying out a Dvorak layout. So difficult at the moment.
Interesting, I have been thinking about it for a while, but I can't see myself being able to manage 2 layouts and I have to use a lot of keyboards where I have no choice but to use qwerty.

Ydahs

I spend the last fifteen hours working on this stupid assignment, due at 11AM. It's 5AM and I go to print.

Printer #1: No color. No worries, I'll use my backup printer!
Printer #2: No black.

WHAT DO I DO NOW?!

HolyCheck

Ydahs said:
I spend the last fifteen hours working on this stupid assignment, due at 11AM. It's 5AM and I go to print.

Printer #1: No color. No worries, I'll use my backup printer!
Printer #2: No black.

WHAT DO I DO NOW?!

Early morning bus ride / drive to the uni.

you're going to have to go there to hand it in anyway... so.. lol..

Dead Man

HolyCheck said:
Early morning bus ride / drive to the uni.

you're going to have to go there to hand it in anyway... so.. lol..
Yep. Go in as soon as there is any printer available, hand it in, go home, sleep.

HolyCheck

Dead Man said:
Yep. Go in as soon as there is any printer available, hand it in, go home, sleep.

agreed, don't even sleep tbh, get in there at 7am hand that shit in and there you go. home to sleep

evlcookie said:
http://www.direct2drive.com/2/10837/product/Buy-Super-Street-Fighter-IV-Arcade-Edition-Download
The ERSB was right!

Also someone should buy Ashes Cricket for 360 for $10 from me so I can buy ME2 on Steam.

Also just heard the Portal starting chamber radio music on Sunrise where they used it a background music for some stupid competition. I saw a cow on the screen. I now wish to replay Portal. That is all.

Big W is having a special one day sale for you Shaneus.

justin.au said:
Currently trying out a Dvorak layout. So difficult at the moment.
I printed out a layout and tried to force myself to use it on my work computer for a month. It's definitely a lot less strain on your fingers. When I got a new computer I never bothered to introduce the new layout.

The biggest difficulty for me was that the labels on the keys are obviously not what they are for a Dvorak layout. And that I was bloody slow at it. Seems worth it if you can stick with it (plus imagine how secure passwords on that box would be if it was Dvorak layout with QWERTY labels!).

Edit: And muscle memory was a bitch.

Top Bottom