• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Gazunta said:
It's one of the standard questions when you answer whenever travelling to the States

I had a weird one when i went over to england....but that question is somewhat specific.
Do you get an extra feel-up if u answer yes?

I don't imagine or believe that Anonymous would be responsible for this. At least the central people behind the ideology that is Anonymous wouldn't be. Certainly some of their members may have banded together with a misguided belief they were doing something on behalf of Anonymous, but Anonymous themselves? No.

Most of Anonymous' "attacks" to date had been largely DDOS; they even made simple tools to download as most of their members aren't tech savvy. These two things lead me to believe it was someone else and they're trying to finger Anonymous.

Gazunta

Maybe in a couple of years the form you fill out to go to the States can ask you if you are now or have you ever been a member of Anonymous

Aon

Well, what a fucking thrill that was. Teacher is all like 'got plenty of time let's run through few more times' then halfway through the first practice she's all waving hands and talking but we can't hear her till we manage to get headphones off and it's all 'we're on we're on gotta be real quiet right now!!!'

Then the radio bulletin went super smooth. What a fucking rush that is. There's no way I'm not being a journo now. Although I sounded kinda off cos I didn't have time to drink and make my throat not horrible, because of you know. Sorry bout poor writing iPhone makes for poor gag posts. GaF even.
Sorry, it was obviously a melbourne station, but I should have mentioned. Hell fucking yeah.

Choc

Banned
Who is picking up brink and/or steel diver this week

i know that you iindicated you would in the steel diver OT bern :)

also

is there a point to brink coming out on PS3 with PSN down? the answer to that question is, no.

Jintor

What are you talking about Clipper? If anything, one of the first things Anonymous states as it goes into the press statement is something along the lines of "Anonymous is anonymous to Anonymous". Everybody is Anonymous; nobody is Anonymous. The ending is all about 'other online communities' anyway.

Blaming shit on Anon is hard because Anon is more of a label than a group.

Choc

Banned
Customers and Apple employees reportedly came to blows on the weekend during the launch of the white Apple iPhone in Beijing. According to the Chinese entertainment website Sina.com, the violence broke out after some customers tried to jump the queue at the Sanlitun Apple Store. An Apple staff member then entered the fray with a metal club, resulting in smashed glass and several people requiring medical attention. [Photo credit: Macx.cn]

wow

Deeku

Choc said:
Customers and Apple employees reportedly came to blows on the weekend during the launch of the white Apple iPhone in Beijing. According to the Chinese entertainment website Sina.com, the violence broke out after some customers tried to jump the queue at the Sanlitun Apple Store. An Apple staff member then entered the fray with a metal club, resulting in smashed glass and several people requiring medical attention. [Photo credit: Macx.cn]

wow
heh, some guy in hong kong got red paint thrown on him while lining up to buy an ipad2.

Clipper

Jintor said:
What are you talking about Clipper? If anything, one of the first things Anonymous states as it goes into the press statement is something along the lines of "Anonymous is anonymous to Anonymous". Everybody is Anonymous; nobody is Anonymous. The ending is all about 'other online communities' anyway.

Blaming shit on Anon is hard because Anon is more of a label than a group.
Yes, they deflect with the statements about others, but the way they capitalised "THE GAME" within "Let THE GAMEs begin" seriously adds an implication of responsibility to some degree. The statement doesn't even really make much of a point otherwise. Even if it is just splinter cells or unrelated hackers doing the actions, Anonymous can't keep saying that what they did is for the consumers as they are supporting the acts.

Jintor

It looks to me as though they capitalised it as part of the injoke/meme "The Game" (which you just lost, apparently). Anyway, assuming or believing Anon's actions are pro-consumer is a bit off - Anon's primary motivation is always lulz. Any splinter group not about the lulz is, well, an internal group within Anonymous and likely to be 'spun off' in the same way Anti-Scientology focused Anons eventually became.

MrSerrels

Normally don't like to pimp stuff here, because I know it's kinda frowned upon - but I interviewed the MD of Good Old Games about pricing in Australia if you guys are interested.

Stackboy

How many maps does Brink come with? I've heard 8, sounds like slim pickings. Going to wait for reviews and hands on videos.

Clipper

Wow... apparently some people in financeare claiming the Aussie Dollar could be at US$1.30 by 2013 and US$1.70 by 2014.

It'll be pretty crazy if that does come to pass. We're already at over double the price on games and media, but those are double and a half to triple and a half levels... How high can it go before the local prices start dropping? If they kept local prices stable throughout that transition, hardly anyone at all would be buying locally any more, surely.

Then again, they only state it could happen, not that they expect it to. It just seems way too high.

Marshmellow said:
Watch now, buy box-set later?
While that might be more moral, it doesn't translate to legality...

Aon

39436175880932/B: All nations attending the All Nations Agreement are only allocated one car parking space.

Jintor said:
There's no workable english way of talking about an amorphous social opt-in opt-out collective
Anarchist cluster/ anarchist collective.

The words to properly describe Anonymous exist, it's just that nobody in the media that has any clout is politically equipped to deal with the idea. Plus, as an anarchist cluster/collective by definition has no leadership, nobody who self-identifies as Anonymous is able to speak for the group and right this misunderstanding.

Basically, what Anonymous needs, if it is to be understood properly, is an intellectual wing. Since the bulk of Anonymous is made up of teenagers who think they're being all edgy and rebellious with their lolcats, that's not likely to emerge any time soon.

Jintor

Well, they do have those wings, but they tend to be more focused on a single issue (Scientology, freedom of information etc) than the rest of the collective, and since all groups are Anonymous everything borks up.

Omikron

Despite having limited capacity for gaming, steam sale still got me. Picked up BC2 and MOH:Airborne today and Dead Space 1 the other day.

Omikron

endlessflood said:
Dammit. Cheers for the responses, was kind of hoping there'd be a legitimate digital download or imminent appearance on paytv out here or something.

IT has been announced it will be on Showtime I think, hence the July+ time frame.

endlessflood said:
^ That's not imminent! I need to see it now :)

My assumption and hence my response lol, Its really good.

Out of interest is there any way to stream the station its on in america to Australia via TV tuner or internet stream pay-TV?

just an idea, not sure if available.

Edit: Just had a quick look and HBO GO would be viable but is locked to US....not sure if u can get a re-stream from somewhere or something like that.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Just download it like everyone else. Buy the DVD's later. Karma restored.

Amiright?

legend166

I didn't get a chance to go to JB Hifi at lunch.

I'll have to go after work.

That will also give me a chance to get a KFC Popcorn Chicken snackbox.

Awesome.

Omi said:
Despite having limited capacity for gaming, steam sale still got me. Picked up BC2 and MOH:Airborne today and Dead Space 1 the other day.

I picked up Dead Space and was going to ask if any of today's sales were worth picking up. Not particularly interested in their MP, more for their SP.

Rahk

Stackboy said:
How many maps does Brink come with? I've heard 8, sounds like slim pickings. Going to wait for reviews and hands on videos.
8 seems like a decent number to me, as long as they are all good. Pretty sure TF2 had even less than that when it came out.

There are some good gameplay videos that show off the SMART system. I'll link them when I get home in a few minutes.

As I'm becoming more interested in Steam, I have some questions about how it works.

So in order to get games from the US/UK when they are cheaper than here, how do you acquire them? Through the gifting thread (how does that process work)? Or is there a way to set up a US account and then gift them to yourself?

Anyone else use a 360 pad? I can use my wireless one with some sort of adapter right? Does it save the button config for each individual game?

Cheers.

Clipper

If Anonymous doesn't have a leader or group of leaders, then who is publishing these press releases? That's the reason why I generally think of them as having some sort of core group that decides where the focus of Anonymous should be drawn and speaks as their official voice.

Sutton Dagger said:
As I'm becoming more interested in Steam, I have some questions about how it works.

So in order to get games from the US/UK when they are cheaper than here, how do you acquire them? Through the gifting thread (how does that process work)? Or is there a way to set up a US account and then gift them to yourself?

Anyone else use a 360 pad? I can use my wireless one with some sort of adapter right? Does it save the button config for each individual game?

Cheers.

U pay them then they gift u the game. No u cant make ur own.
If the game saves the config it will and it will be remembered on steam cloud. Yes u can use the wireless adapter ive used it for AC2

Rahk said:
8 seems like a decent number to me, as long as they are all good. Pretty sure TF2 had even less than that when it came out.

There are some good gameplay videos that show off the SMART system. I'll link them when I get home in a few minutes.

TF2 had 6 from going through tf2wiki's maps page and picking them out from memory

2fort, well (cp), granary, dustbowl, gravelpit, and hydro.

Top Bottom