• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Nemesis_

Darklord said:
If I download something like DLC on a US live account, will it be available on all accounts on my 360? Like when MK characters are released, an I download them from the US marketplace;ace then play them on my regular aus account?

Yes For sure. I've done that already for my Kombat Code. It's the same thing!

Add me! I need someone to play with, and I think I suck too =(

Nemesis556

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm, seems Telstra (by either their own accord or TPG's request) have capped me at exactly 4Mbit; I can't get a sync speed higher than 4096000.

I'm not too annoyed as I tend to max out at 5~5.5Mbit with my dying 7404VGP-M, but it's still a dick move all the same.

OneMoreQuestion said:
Sooo Mortal Kombat is illegal in Australia, but are the bookends that come with the Kollectors Edition illegal?
Yes they are. You should ship them to me and I will dispose of them correctly.

JaseC said:
I'm not too annoyed as I tend to max out at 5~5.5Mbit with my dying 7404VGP-M, but it's still a dick move all the same.
Get on board with NCable!

Shaneus

JaseC said:
Hmm, seems Telstra (by either their own accord or TPG's request) have capped me at exactly 4Mbit; I can't get a sync speed higher than 4096000.

You'll probably be on a RIM. I was, and I'd been getting up to 6Mbit then all of a sudden, BAM. Back to 4. or so. That will definitely be Telstra as that's a limit so as to not overload the RIM on your street.

If you're interested, there's plenty of info on Whirlpool.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
reptilescorpio said:
Get on board with NCable!

Unfortunately, the only fixed-line broadband available here is Telstra Wholesale-based ADSL. I'd still be with Internode if I didn't need to download around 1.2TB of data. (I'll be churning back to them once my TPG contract is up in October.)

Shaneus said:
You'll probably be on a RIM. I was, and I'd been getting up to 6Mbit then all of a sudden, BAM. Back to 4. or so. That will definitely be Telstra as that's a limit so as to not overload the RIM on your street.

If you're interested, there's plenty of info on Whirlpool.

Nope, no RIMs here. This is a very old town and it's serviced by an exchange in the neighbouring one (my line length is around 3.6KM).

If I'm still capped on Monday, I'll give TPG a call.

So does anyone know when the Xperia Play is coming out in Aus, I'm kinda interested in getting one but can't seem to find anything on when they are coming here or for how much.

Shaneus

JaseC said:
Nope, no RIMs here. This is a very old town and it's serviced by an exchange in the neighbouring one (my line length is around 3.6KM).

If I'm still capped on Monday, I'll give TPG a call.
Ah, okay. To find out (maybe) more information, check out http://yourbroadband.com.au/. That's pretty much the only way I could find out the specifics of my neighbourhood.

Of course, that doesn't matter now that I'm on 30Mbit cable :D

Clipper

OneMoreQuestion said:
Sooo Mortal Kombat is illegal in Australia, but are the bookends that come with the Kollectors Edition illegal?
Just to drive home a point, neither is illegal to own. The game is just illegal to import and/or sell or gift. The whole fact that possession and use are not crimes is what makes the whole importation restriction ridiculous.

As for the bookends, you can sell them if you like. You definitely can't legally sell the game within Australia, though.

Clipper said:
Just to drive home a point, neither is illegal to own. The game is just illegal to import and/or sell or gift. The whole fact that possession and use are not crimes is what makes the whole importation restriction ridiculous.

As for the bookends, you can sell them if you like. You definitely can't legally sell the game within Australia, though.

Iiiinteresting, thanks for the info!

legend166

Bernbaum said:
Totally forgot about The Incredible's recent Blu Ray release and was enthralled to see it sitting on JB's shelves for $20. They didn't have any triple format packs that I could see so I just grabbed the single-disc release.

Gonna go make stir fry with my market veggie haul and watch the crap out of it. I say it's the Pixar film I hold dearest - let's see how time has treated those memories.

What?

What?

*looks at clock*

JB Hifi won't be open at 9:13pm on a Saturday night, right?

How did I not remember this? I know what I'm doing during lunch on Monday.

Bernbaum

legend166 said:
What?

What?

*looks at clock*

I know right. I didn't even mean to go looking for it. Put in some giftwrapping for Mother's day and had 40 minutes to burn so went for a little window shop, and there it was, nestled amongst a bunch of other crap.

Just watched it too. The story and pacing is, gulp, incredible. In a post-Toy Story 3 world, I do notice stilted animation and the lack of effects and flourishes here and there (for example - when Mr. Incredible fights the robot in the volcano for the first time, he drags one of the mechanical arms against the ground but the earth remains undisturbed) but the film is highly watchable regardless of the 7-year old visuals. It's a pointless discussion, but I think Wall-E might be the first Pixar film which will hold up visually in a decade because of the attention to detail.

The DVD for Incredibles supposedly had some of the best extras out there. Not sure if it's the same content on the BR, but I'll have to check it out. I very rarely watch extras these days. LotR special edition making-of's made sure of that.

Shaneus

legend166 said:
What?

What?

*looks at clock*

Sounds like the perfect Mother's Day present. Better head out first thing tomorrow to get it.

Jintor

2/4 Property Law questions... RESOLVED! I'm going to go play No More Heroes for a bit, then come back to this inane blather.

Bernbaum

I have only just found and made use of the 'subscribe' feature on NeoGAF.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

It's like I'm Bruce Willis in the Sixth Sense, except instead of being dead the whole time, I've been a complete fucking moron.

Cohsae

Bernbaum said:

It's like I'm Bruce Willis in the Sixth Sense, except instead of being dead the whole time, I've been a complete fucking moron.
I still haven't learned how to use it. I've known about it for so long but for some reason I just can't make the jump.

Use it. It's fantastic. When you post in a thread you auto-subscribe. Then just use the subscription link at the top to see your subscribed threads, ie: The ones you have registered interest in.

Shaneus

Bernbaum said:

Yeah, it's fucking awesome, innit? It's basically my cloud bookmarking feature for when I see cool threads at work.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I would never check this thread of it weren't for subscriptions.

Cohsae

Megadrive said:
Use it. It's fantastic. When you post in a thread you auto-subscribe. Then just use the subscription link at the top to see your subscribed threads, ie: The ones you have registered interest in.
So I just realised the reason I never used subscriptions is because I never noticed that near the top of the page there is a link clearly labeled 'subscriptions'. That was surprisingly easy.

Dead Man

Shaneus said:
Yeah, it's fucking awesome, innit? It's basically my cloud bookmarking feature for when I see cool threads at work.
I even have my GAF bookmark set there, just so I can catch up on shit I posted before I have to look at new threads.

codswallop said:
Totally unrelated, has anyone ever tried a pair of Vivo Barefoot shoes? I'm looking at buying a pair of casual shoes with these sorts of soles but really want good looking 'barefoot' but ultimately want a pair of business shoes for the office if they work out (though most of the Vivo Barefoot and Terra Plana ones don't look that businessy -- why can't they just make a pair of Oxfords with those soles?).
Never heard of those before, but for running shoes I'm suddenly very intrigued. My sister and I had talked about how we suddenly seem to have ITB syndrome all the time from running and didn't have those sorts of problems in the past, and how older runners have barely even heard of that as a running injury. We started talking about the extreme amounts of correction that shoes try to do these days, especially in comparison to the old sorts of running flats we used to wear and couldn't help but wonder if that wasn't a big part of the problem.

Looking at the PR on the Vivo page maybe there's some merit to our thoughts... might have to pick a pair up.

endlessflood said:
Never heard of those before, but for running shoes I'm suddenly very intrigued. My sister and I had talked about how we suddenly seem to have ITB syndrome all the time from running and didn't have those sorts of problems in the past, and how older runners have barely even heard of that as a running injury. We started talking about the extreme amounts of correction that shoes try to do these days, especially in comparison to the old sorts of running flats we used to wear and couldn't help but wonder if that wasn't a big part of the problem.

Looking at the PR on the Vivo page maybe there's some merit to our thoughts... might have to pick a pair up.
Yeah, I'm of the opinion that all shoes are doing nowadays is making things worse and causing us to use our feet incorrectly.

I ordered a pair of the casual shoes from their site as the summer season shoes were like half price. I'm not one of those who walk around barefoot, but I think the idea's sound.

IIRC, the founder of Vivo is a descendant of the Clark's shoes company.

Oh yeah, there's also Vibram shoes. Noticed today that some Merrells (I'm a big fan of their shoes for urban walking) now have Vibram soles too.

justin.au

I'm of the opinion that the shoe is never the problem; the person is. Cushioned shoes might make bad form running easier but it's pretty easy to correct. There's really no need to buy any type of expensive shoe. You can correct form without buying these trendy new "barefoot" shoes.

I run 50-100km a week in a pair of $50-something Aasics and have never had injury problems. I strike midfoot with good form and cover anywhere between 5 and 25 km per run.

Waikis

Jintor said:
2/4 Property Law questions... RESOLVED! I'm going to go play No More Heroes for a bit, then come back to this inane blather.

Oh god I had Property law last semester and hate it so much.

justin.au said:
I'm of the opinion that the shoe is never the problem; the person is. Cushioned shoes might make bad form running easier but it's pretty easy to correct. There's really no need to buy any type of expensive shoe. You can correct form without buying these trendy new "barefoot" shoes.

I run 50-100km a week in a pair of $50-something Aasics and have never had injury problems. I strike midfoot with good form and cover anywhere between 5 and 25 km per run.
My sister changed to a pair of running flats and her ITB issues disappeared instantly, which is what prompted our original conversation. So clearly, in at least some cases, the shoe is the problem, not the person.

As to the barefoot shoes being trendy, running flats are nothing new but can be tough to find these days unfortunately. Any new model is a point of interest (at least to me).

Clipper

I've gotta say, if I had a pair of those gloves back in the day, I sure wouldn't remember my Nintenthumb so fondly. Gaming just isn't the same without the NES button shaped blister...

kase23

Shaneus said:
Comics 'r' Us has closed? I seem to remember there was a shop next to the adult shop on Ryrie. That's going back a while, though.

reptilescorpio said:
Pretty sure it became a collectible crap store with Warhammer and Yugioh stuff? I remember having a quick look in there a few years ago and came out empty handed which certainly doesn't happen if comics are around. Not even sure if they a still up and running, Popculture should have taken most of their business by now.

The Burke St store is still around although Troy and Mitch the guys who used to run it opened up there own store on Lonsdale st, All Star Comics. I moved my pull list from comics r us to them since they were the two who made me really get back into comics again.

Shaneus said:
Why didn't anyone tell me there was a new Beasties album out? You should all be ashamed of yourselves.
If you hung out in Steam chat you would have heard me raving about it. Best work since Hello Nasty (or the Futurama cameo). Also check out Icicle - Under The Ice. Great album.

Shaneus

That's not the first time I've mentioned him? Holy shit.

Side note: I'm going to give The League a go today as well. Had no idea he was in a TV show.

So I jumped back into Darksiders last night and I have to say that the FPS bit is... questionable at best. The combat in this game is OK, I guess, but there's waaaay too much of it, so it very quickly stops being fun.

The voice acting is still cheesy as hell, but it's growing on me.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
viciouskillersquirrel said:
So I jumped back into Darksiders last night and I have to say that the FPS bit is... questionable at best. The combat in this game is OK, I guess, but there's waaaay too much of it, so it very quickly stops being fun.

The voice acting is still cheesy as hell, but it's growing on me.

The FPS was fine for me but this was the PC version.

Combat is simple, I mostly stuck to the main weapon and just sliced people. I liked it because it had a meaty feel to it, you always felt like you were powerful and just cruising around smashing people in the face with a giant sword.

It's certainly one of my most enjoyed games so far this year. While it won't win anything for being fucking outstanding in specific aspects of game design, What it did was solid enough to be fun.

markot

Banned
Need for speed hot pursuit was such a waste of 10 bucks >_<

What an awfully terrible game of badness seeping from the very core of its being...

Maybe being forced to watch a trailer for another NFS game made me bitter and set the tone for it all >.>

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
markot said:
Need for speed hot pursuit was such a waste of 10 bucks >_<

What an awfully terrible game of badness seeping from the very core of its being...

Maybe being forced to watch a trailer for another NFS game made me bitter and set the tone for it all >.>

What didn't you like about it? It's one of the only good arcade racers in the past few years, There's certainly flaws and the trailer is fucking stupid.

markot

Banned
Its so repetitive... and I dont like the way it controls...

It just feels like another Burnout game with less crashing >.< (Which I should have been expecting given the dev!)

I dont know, I remember playing the old NFS games ages ago, they seemed... better. Like the really old ones.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Wouldn't the really old ones be similar? It was a to b based racing with little crashing for the most part, it's the same as HP.

It's also an arcade racer so i guess it's repetitive by nature? You drive cars with a specific goal in mind, win a race, take out a bad guy etc.

Controls in the demo sucked but they were better in the actual game. Different cars do handle differently, you get used to it quickly.

justin.au said:
I'm of the opinion that the shoe is never the problem; the person is. Cushioned shoes might make bad form running easier but it's pretty easy to correct.
That's a good point (though I'm not a runner) and I've been trying to change the walk I step when I can, but some of my shoes make this more difficult than others.

Watch how other people step when they walk down the street, a large portion of people strike with their heel, so even though it's ultimately the person's fault it's the shoe causing them to step like that. People wearing thongs or flats usually step differently to people wearing 'regular' shoes.

If a good pair of flats trains me to walk properly even when in all my other shoes, it's worth it to me.

Top Bottom